PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Caster Level Increase for Dual Caster?

Warclam
2009-08-15, 10:22 PM
OK, a nice way to boost caster level for multiclass casters is Practiced Spellcaster. However, if you're multiclassing two caster classes, you'd need to take the feat twice, which is a little annoying, especially if one of the classes only loses a couple of levels. Now, I seem to recall a feat that works like a lesser version of Practiced Spellcaster, but for multiple spell progressions. Is there such a feat, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Keld Denar
2009-08-15, 10:26 PM
If you are Illumian with the Krau sigil, you can get a +2 CL to all spellcasting classes, up to your character level (just like Practiced Spellcaster).

Sure you have a racial restriction, but eh, Illumians aren't half bad for a PC race.

erikun
2009-08-15, 10:34 PM
Is this really that practical, though? Sure, you get a few more d6's for your fireballs, but you still have the problem of trying to kill stuff with Fireball at level 10, where other mages are using Cloudkill and Baleful Polymorph.

Doesn't look like I have anything helpful to add, though. I'd thought that Practiced Spellcaster affects multiple spellcasting classes, for some reason.

arguskos
2009-08-15, 10:39 PM
Doesn't look like I have anything helpful to add, though. I'd thought that Practiced Spellcaster affects multiple spellcasting classes, for some reason.
Nah, Practiced Spellcaster requires you select a casting class for it to apply to when you take the feat.

Teron
2009-08-15, 11:12 PM
Is this really that practical, though? Sure, you get a few more d6's for your fireballs, but you still have the problem of trying to kill stuff with Fireball at level 10, where other mages are using Cloudkill and Baleful Polymorph.
Well, that's hardly a fair comparison. Fireball is mediocre at any level. Stinking cloud and slow are much better third level combat spells, not to mention that a level ten theurge has access to fourth level spells unless he's a sorcerer or some such.

nightwyrm
2009-08-16, 12:32 AM
Well, that's hardly a fair comparison. Fireball is mediocre at any level. Stinking cloud and slow are much better third level combat spells, not to mention that a level ten theurge has access to fourth level spells unless he's a sorcerer or some such.

I think his main point is pretty much the same. The main drawback with dual casters (and multiclassing casters in general) is not the caster level but the slowed casting progression, and that is everything for a caster. A bunch of lower level spells is not a substitute for the highest level of spells a normal caster get with his unhindered progression.

Teron
2009-08-16, 01:20 AM
True, but he was greatly overstating the (admittedly significant) difference. I'm also inclined to argue that a loss of power compared to a straight wizard is hardly crippling in absolute terms -- more like responsible, really -- but that's beside the point.

Warclam
2009-08-16, 06:13 AM
I guess I was imagining it after all. It probably was the Illumian I was remembering. I found them, but thought there was a feat too. Oh well.

Regarding the discussion about dual casting, this was a sort of concept build to see if I could get dual casting of two spontaneous classes (I hate preparing spells). By jumping through a whole lot of hoops, I managed to whip up an Illumian Bard 1/Sorcerer 1/Shugenja 1/Mystic Theurge 7/Fochlucan Lyrist 10. Double-casting, single attribute dependency for casting (though the guy has 14 Int due to skill needs...). He also takes the ACF Spell Shield with sorcerer and uses Versatile Spellcaster, so he can actually have something useful to do with all those extra spell slots.

I could even use Spirit Shaman instead of Shugenja and still make it single-stat by using Dynamic Priest, though that requires a flaw or an application of the Dark Chaos Shuffle.

But anyway, thanks for your help.

Flickerdart
2009-08-16, 10:06 AM
Wizard 9/Ur-Priest 1/Mystic Theurge 9/X 1 is the simplest dual-casting build. You can also do a similar thing with Sublime Chord, and some people argue that Nar Demonbinder works too, while others insist that just because it has 4th level spells doesn't mean it fulfils the 2nd level spells requirement.

Yzzyx
2009-08-16, 12:13 PM
Wizard 9/Ur-Priest 1/Mystic Theurge 9/X 1 is the simplest dual-casting build.

You need two levels of Ur-Priest to get second level spells.

Flickerdart
2009-08-16, 12:15 PM
You need two levels of Ur-Priest to get second level spells.
Wizard 9/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8/X 1 then. The principle is the same.