PDA

View Full Version : Crafting expensive things

quick_comment
2009-08-16, 01:06 AM
Is there any way to substitute money for experience in crafting things? Or to gain the artificer's retain essence ability without 5 levels of artificer?

Edit: This is being done with an eye towards becoming a demilich. The soul gems cost a ton!

Gralamin
2009-08-16, 01:17 AM
Is there any way to substitute money for experience in crafting things? Or to gain the artificer's retain essence ability without 5 levels of artificer?

Edit: This is being done with an eye towards becoming a demilich. The soul gems cost a ton!

Substitute money? Get someone else to craft it, convince them to be paid 5 times the XP lost in gp. A good way of doing this is, say, getting an ally to craft it.

If you have to craft it yourself, I do not know any method of doing so.

quick_comment
2009-08-16, 01:25 AM
Is there any domain giving craft wonderous item as a bonus feat?

Gralamin
2009-08-16, 01:50 AM
Is there any domain giving craft wonderous item as a bonus feat?

Not in Crystal Castle, PHB, or Spell Compendium. I'll leave it as an exercise for you to check out all the other books that may contain Cleric domains. :smalltongue:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-17, 08:16 AM
Substitute money? Get someone else to craft it, convince them to be paid 5 times the XP lost in gp. A good way of doing this is, say, getting an ally to craft it.

If you have to craft it yourself, I do not know any method of doing so.ECS comes out and specifically states that you can have multiple people can provide the prerequisites for item creation, as long as all of them are present for the crafting.

Cyclocone
2009-08-17, 08:59 AM
Probably not at all what you're looking for, but since you mentioned demilich, i thought i'd mention it: Master Arcane Artisan. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030314a)

If you can stomach the hefty prerequisites and the 5 lost caster levels, it does give a retain essence-like ability.

quick_comment
2009-08-17, 11:24 AM
ECS comes out and specifically states that you can have multiple people can provide the prerequisites for item creation, as long as all of them are present for the crafting.

That makes things a bit easier. It means I can make my cohort an artificer, have him nab magical artisan, as well as the 2 legendary feats that reduce costs, and I can apply his craft reserve to the soul gems. That means instead of a million gold and 40,000 xp, it costs 560,000 gp and 22 xp, which is then further reduced by his craft reserve.

Forrestfire
2009-08-17, 11:34 AM
Since a demilich is going to be evil anyway, soul bind and chicken infested will knock off 10 experience points from the item per soul (which come from the chickens).

@V: Oh, nevermind, then. I assumed he'd jhave the standard lich template.

quick_comment
2009-08-17, 11:37 AM
Since a demilich is going to be evil anyway, soul bind and chicken infested will knock off 10 experience points from the item per soul (which come from the chickens).

He actually isnt evil. Demilich doesnt change the alignment, and the lich template he has doesnt either.

Where in ECS does it say that you can craft in groups?