PDA

View Full Version : The Path to Godhood

expirement10K14
2009-08-16, 06:16 AM
I came up with this idea as a base for an Epic Level Evil Campaign where the Player's are trying to become gods. Please be nice, I haven't slept for a very long time so the ideas and fluff may come off a bit weird.
And yes, it is Forgotten Realms flavored.
Edit: Completely redone after some rest and mind clearing and then looking at what was there before and not believing I thought it was a good idea.

The Seals

It is said that some things are not meant for mortal minds, and I believe I have found one of them. Some associates of mine found a tome while exploring a incredibly dangerous set of ruins north of the site of Shade, though that was all they were willing to tell. It was in a language I could not comprehend, though I did manage to gather that it was very powerful indeed as when I was beginning to get close to gathering information I was assaulted by two Demon's that stole away the book, threatening to kill me if I ever went looking for it. I can only imagine what may have been inside of it.
-Jora Keydar, Archmage and Chose of Mystra ~331

The Seals are three magical artifacts of immense power that, when brought together, give the wielder incredible abilities.

Each seal is an orb about half a foot in diameter that radiates a large aura of magic and bestows great powers upon the wielder. No deity, even the overgod, can directly effect anyone that possesses one of the seals or anyone that has knowledge of the location of a seal that is still under protection. There is no way to distinguish the separate orbs, though the function of the separate orbs is recorded in some ancient texts that are either lost or untranslatable.

Seal of Divinity
The seal of divinity grants the wielder a limited amount of divine power.
The wielder gains a natural armor bonus of 10 or their existing Natural Armor Bonus increases by 10 and they gain a dodge bonus equal to their charisma modifier, if any. They are immune to energy drain, ability drain, ability damage, polymorph effects, mind-effecting spells or abilities, and gains immunity to one energy type. They become indestructable.

Seal of Magic
The seal of magic is incredibly powerful, in the right hands it may be the most powerful seal. The wielder gains the epic spell casting feat, even if it does not qualify, along with one epic spell slot, if the wielder already had this feat they gain one addition epic spell slot. In addition, the wielder gains a +20 seal bonus to all spell craft checks and can create epic spells in half the time and for half the gp cost than normal (they need to use the same amount xp).

Seal of Power
The seal of power grant's it's wielder a +6 seal bonus to strength, dexterity and constitution, gains DR 10/Epic, gains a +10 seal bonus to armor class (applies to touch and flat-footed) and gains a +15 seal bonus to all attack and damage rolls.

When all of the Seals are brought within 20 feet of each other they break through any thing holding them back and all meet in a central location, slowly spanning outward while spinning in a circle until they have created a circle roughly five feet across. The first creature to walk into the circle receives their blessing and immediately gains divine rank 1 and all associated abilities including, but not limited to: Immunities, bonuses, salient divine abilities, increased speed, domains and portfolios. After this effect the seals vanish and spread themselves out among the planes and new guardians are set out to protect them.

The Seals stand as a trial of sorts for those to reach the gods and they are under heavy protection. One Solar, One Balor and One Pitfiend each have a Seal under their protection, though they do not actually possess them. The seals lie on their private demiplanes, provided by the overgod, in secret chambers where the weave (if in Faerun, otherwise an Antimagic Field could also work) has been wiped out completely, blocking any of the magic. The overgod still can't directly interfere with the seals or those with knowledge/possession of a Seal.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-16, 08:57 AM
Oh...
Oh my...
[color=white]Only problem: You forgot the Dragon Seal![/color}

expirement10K14
2009-08-16, 09:05 AM
Oh...
Oh my...
Only problem: You forgot the Dragon Seal!

Their meant to be a BBEG plan or in my case a job for the Epic PC's that have no clue what they are actually gathering for their employer. If a DM actually let their players use these....

Well, they shouldn't be a DM.

I was thinking it could generate some good fetch quests, as well as a freeform quest trying to find out about where they are located or their effects.

Edit: They shouldn't be nearly as powerful/broken anymore. I may even change them to be even less powerful if need be.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-17, 08:07 AM
Their meant to be a BBEG plan or in my case a job for the Epic PC's that have no clue what they are actually gathering for their employer. If a DM actually let their players use these....

Well, they shouldn't be a DM.

I was thinking it could generate some good fetch quests, as well as a freeform quest trying to find out about where they are located or their effects.

Edit: They shouldn't be nearly as powerful/broken anymore. I may even change them to be even less powerful if need be.

The old ones were great!
Also:

Seal of Dragons
Possibly the most powerful seal(especially since the Mistake of the 10,014th Experiment), the dragon seal is an orb with what seems to be a dragon curled around it. However, the dragon is a combination of all types, even including aspects of some half-dragons, and it is a bit different each time it is looked at.
This seal grants the user a variety of abilities. He (or she; I'll just say "he" for simplicity) gains a +30 natural armor bonus and draconic wings that let him fly at a speed of 300 ft (good). Once every 1d4 rounds, the user can use a breath weapon that is either a 1,000-ft line or a 400-ft cone. The breath weapon deals 20d100 (a die roller like the one that you get by clicking on the d20 here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archives)* is suggested for this) points of each energy type (so, 100d100 total...Wow. 5,050 average damage!). In addition, the user automatically controlls all dragons or dragonblooded creatures within 10 miles and can attempt to control any dragons or dragonblooded creatures within 100 miles. This last power is often thought to be the greatest.

Strawman
2009-08-17, 08:14 AM
It reminds me of the Triforce. It's a good way to set up an end of the world scenario that feels urgent, but can still take as long as you want it to.

Dante & Vergil
2009-09-24, 02:28 PM
I have never heard of these, but then again I don't know very much about FR history. I think these are very cool though and I wish more artifacts were like these. (Most artifacts don't have the "Item(s) of Legend" feel just a "tacked-on some moderate to weak abilities to magic items" feel.)

Sudduth
2009-09-24, 03:24 PM
It reminds me of the Triforce. It's a good way to set up an end of the world scenario that feels urgent, but can still take as long as you want it to.

Yeah my thoughts exactly XD
What was running though my head was "So they are looking for the triforce?"