PDA

View Full Version : Cats on Catnip (in the playground)

Ricky S
2009-08-16, 07:27 AM
Hi!

Anybody have any funny stories or anecdotes about their cats, be they on catnip or not?

Unfortunately my cat is unaffected by catnip as apparently australian cats have had the gene breed out of them.

FoE
2009-08-16, 07:37 AM
My family wouldn't talk about our kitty's catnip problem. We pretended that we didn't see him wander into the house after a wild bender, bleary-eyed and staggering on all fours. No one spoke up when he refused to eat and collapsed on our front floor. We'd clean up the vomit and pretend that Mittens had some kind of weird parasite. It wasn't until he started pawning our stuff to feed his habit that we finally staged an intervention.

Mittens looked at all of us and said, "Hey, back off man, I can quit any time I want!"

And our response was, "OH MY GOD, MITTENS CAN TALK!"

Miklus
2009-08-16, 07:45 AM
My cat would eat it all in one go and run around and around and sometimes up and down the walls. Then it would run in and out from under the sofa until it misjudged where the leg was (there was some frills). Then it would finally be stunned/KO'ed long enough for me to catch it and hold it down until the drug cleared out.

Don't do drugs.

Reinholdt
2009-08-16, 08:08 AM
If you don't talk to your cat about catnip, who will?

That said...
I admit nothing!
>>
<<

Also Face of Evil is hilarious. More so while on this nip. :smallbiggrin:

Tharivol123
2009-08-16, 11:26 AM
Our cat is so bad we don't call it catnip anymore, its Kitty Crack. Depending on where he is in the house, he reacts differently. Downstairs will cause him to run around the entire floor, going from room to room, trying to jump on the back of the couch and stop suddenly. Once he manages that, he swats at invisible things in the air, before taking off and attacking a wicker basket. Finally he vanishes for about twenty minutes and comes back soaking wet.
Upstairs, he rolls around on the beds, attacks whatever the catnip was in, then runs down the stairs, skipping the last five steps or so, and goes on to do what he normally does downstairs.

badam104172
2009-08-16, 11:43 AM
my cat doesn't NEED kitty crack. hes crazy enough without it! he sleeps on my frickin face!

THAC0
2009-08-16, 12:16 PM
My cat loooooves catnip. But, interestingly enough, it doesn't have a visible effect on him.

RandomNPC
2009-08-16, 12:43 PM
we put our catnip in a brown paper lunch bag, and leave it on the floor.

Our poor kitty forces her way in as far as she can go, and then looks up, getting her head and shoulders covered in cat nip. After about ten minuets in the bag she then goes on a roll-around rampage, rolling into legs, furniture, a map with minis on it, anything really. After that and some muscle twitching she runs around for about twenty minuets, tries to jump up into often closed windows, and then she finally sleeps.

we call the lunch bag manuver the "happy fun cat bag"

a friend of mine never gave the cats any catnip, but you could set your watch to the otherwise identical 10PM cat freakout, by both nachos and monkey.

Gem Flower
2009-08-16, 12:46 PM
I have lots of non-catnip stories about my cats...

So both my cats love staring out the window. The female was leaning against one window because it was absolutely pouring rain and she found it fascinating. Unfortunately, this window had a broken screen and she fell out. She is not an outdoor cat, so she just sat there, staring at the window, meowing. We found her half an hour later, soaked and very annoyed at us.:smallwink:

The Extinguisher
2009-08-16, 01:03 PM
I remember a friend who stored the catnip at the top and the back of a very high up and very deep cupboard, with really no way to reach it. He had to stand on a chair to get at it, and he's pretty tall.

He comes home one day, only to find the place a mess and the cat playing with the catnip. Cat's are crazy.

Froogleyboy
2009-08-16, 01:10 PM
I brought catnip to school in a plastic bag. Dropped it on the floor and watched the chaos :smallbiggrin:

Perenelle
2009-08-16, 03:29 PM
We used to have a container or catnip that we kept in our kitchen and one night our two cats got into it. we woke up the next morning and the two of them had ripped open the container somehow and ate all of it. One of the two cats was running around our kitchen, and then throwing himself at the couch in the living room repeatedly.:smalleek: then he kept attacking inanimate objects as if they were moving. after a few hours later he stopped though.
The other cat went into the basement and hid in the corner for a day. whenever I got near him he'd hiss and make chattering noises. It was really strange. when he finally came out of the basement he was walking all weird and running around upstairs.

Because of this indecent, we don't give them catnip anymore. :smallwink:

Jalor
2009-08-16, 05:20 PM
I brought catnip to school in a plastic bag. Dropped it on the floor and watched the chaos :smallbiggrin:

Your school has cats? "Wer in ur skool, luvin ur catnipz"?

Froogleyboy
2009-08-16, 05:25 PM
NO . . . they thought that it was . . . a special substance (intill someone really looked at it)

Vella_Malachite
2009-08-16, 06:33 PM
Our cat likes catnip, but we don't give her any...except once we sprayed her scratching post with stuff that smelled like catnip. She didn't leave it alone for *days*.

But she's pretty funny anyway. Once, when she was small, Dad made her this scratching-post that had a few platforms sticking out of it that she could climb up and a toy mouse hanging from a string from the top. Now, on the ground, this mouse was just out of her reach. But it was perfectly accessible from a couple of platforms up. On this particular occasion, she obtained the mouse from the platform, climbed to the top of the post with the mouse in her mouth, looked very chuffed, and jumped off. Cue the cat swinging from the string, scratching frantically at the mouse and trying to reach the platform. Eventually she just let go and sprinted away from the evil contraption, probably to sulk somewhere for a while.

Because of this indecent, we don't give them catnip anymore. :smallwink:

BTW, I have a feeling you mean "Incident", rather than "indecent", although both are probably good descriptions and "indecent" is funnier anyway. :smalltongue:

Perenelle
2009-08-16, 08:35 PM
BTW, I have a feeling you mean "Incident", rather than "indecent", although both are probably good descriptions and "indecent" is funnier anyway. :smalltongue:

Oops. I meant "Incident" :smallbiggrin:

horngeek
2009-08-16, 08:59 PM
The cat my family had before I was born was scared of humans, see, so he wouldn't go across a room for a very long time. My parents also couldn't think of a good name for him, and just kept on calling him "Stupid Bloody Cat". Eventually, it got shortened to "Stupid".

Despie that, my mum still says he was the nicest cat EVER.

Serpentine
2009-08-16, 10:45 PM
Unfortunately my cat is unaffected by catnip as apparently australian cats have had the gene breed out of them.Is that why it does nothing to my cat? Huh.

my cat doesn't NEED kitty crack. hes crazy enough without it! he sleeps on my frickin face!So does my Moses! :smallbiggrin:

Ricky S
2009-08-17, 08:59 AM
Is that why it does nothing to my cat? Huh.

Yea apparently it has no effect on Australian cats because they havent had it in there system for such a long time (ie generations) that it doesnt have an effect on them. We tried to give our cat catnip once but it sniffed it, licked it, then just turned her nose up at eat and proceeded to go eat some crackers (cat munchies? although i highly doubt it).

Funny story though:
My cat likes curling up underneath blankets and such and sleeping there (like most cats i suspect). However last week she managed to push the blanket off the bed and onto the floor in an attempt to curl up underneath it. So she went for the next best thing. A pillow. My mum found her curled up underneath a pillow trying to cover herself completely with it.

Athaniar
2009-08-17, 04:28 PM
My Birma has a tendency to escape whenever I open the door and don't pay attention (he did it once today, with several more attempts). I then have to chase him around my own and the neigbours' houses, until he grows tired and/or is flanked. What's funny is that he runs, then stops and waits for me, and just when I'm about to catch him he runs away again. He's tricky, that cat.

Coidzor
2009-08-17, 04:32 PM
my cats don't eat it anymore, as usually when my brother gives it to them they ignore it... though occasionally he manages to slip them some of the fresh-cut leaves off of the catnip plant growing in our backyard into their food.

Then they get a bit more energetic and then get all hot and tired and lay down to take a nap due to the heat and being outdoors and having long hair.