PDA

View Full Version : Rokunin no samurai

Kensen
2009-08-16, 09:13 AM
"Why don't we go home?" Yohei said. "We farmers are only fit for judging seeds, not for judging samurai. Besides, we can't afford any strong samurai."

For days, Manzo, Yohei and Rikichi had been trying to hire samurai in the town of Ichiguchi, but they had found none that would agree to protect their village for just three meals per day.

They were walking down the street near the marketplace of Ichiguchi as they heard sounds of a heated argument. They saw a group of six ronin harassing a peasant selling his goods in an alley.

Ronin: "Your rice balls taste bad! We won't pay you, you lousy rat!"

Peasant: "But I cannot afford to feed my wife and children ---"

Ronin (kicking the peasant): "Are you deaf or just plain stupid? I said we won't pay! In fact, you should pay us for your insolence!" (drawing his katana)

OOC: Each of you is within earshot of the argument.

blackseven
2009-08-16, 09:30 AM
A middle aged man, with a serene face and deep eyes, hair verging on greying, steps forward with his arms held apart, and speaks in a loud, clear voice:

"Good warrior, in this time of troubles, should we not strive to promote harmony? When something is taken, something must be given in return. Thus is order preserved and the peoples happy."

Diplomacy Check[roll0]

Kensen
2009-08-16, 09:40 AM
The ronin glances over to Satoshi. "You stay out of this! This lowly peasant insulted me, so he deserves a punishment! Walk away now and I'll forget I've ever seen you!"

OOC: You failed to influence his attitude.
OOC: Please, mention the name of your character each time you post.

SwanyUSD
2009-08-16, 09:48 AM
Hatori Miya

Strolling gracefully amongst the peasantry, daydreaming of past glories, the beautiful samurai-ko snaps out of her reverie upon hearing the drawing of steel. Her dulled, sky blue kimono hints at her former glory.

Scowling at the ronin's presumptive, arrogant nature, she interjects, Without this peasant's rice,, you would starve. Slaughtering that which would nurture you is a fool's errand.

Free spot and listen checks to detect other, hidden dangers.
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

blackseven
2009-08-16, 09:53 AM
Satoshi's face hardens slightly.

"Have you not had enough of bloodshed, good warrior? There is plenty of blood to be shed on the fertile battlefields of this age. I have seen too much in my time. You have made your point: the lowly one has learned his place. Any more and you transgress against heaven."

Kensen
2009-08-16, 10:07 AM
Yohei grabs Rikichi's sleeve and points at Satoshi and Miya. "Look, brave and honorable samurai! We should hire them!"

"Unless they get themselves killed" Manzo commented sarcastically.

The ronin's face got red with anger. "You dare interfere! This is between me and him. Seiji, Tomo! Make sure these two won't try anything stupid!"

Two of the ronin's friends position themselves between Miya and Satoshi, and the ronin and the peasant. The ronin kicks the peasant in the ribcage. "Apologize! Or I'll cut off your hand you thief!"

OOC: Miya spots no hidden dangers.

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-16, 10:09 AM
Inoue Ame

Ame hears the conversation from a short way down the street, and turns to investigate.

Upon seeing the peasants and a pair of samurai engaged in a squabble, Ame hangs back among the crowd, trying not to be noticed; but close enough to step in if she feels she is needed.

And then what would you do, Ame? Don't be stupid.

She forces her face to remain as expressionless as possible, feigning calm and tranquility as she rests her hand on the handle of her sword.

Besides, the ojisan seems to have it under control... no need to worry, right?

*edit*

Hah, Kensen updated right before me <T_T> Same actions though.

Btw - The italics for my character are meant to be "inner monologue" rather than actual speech >.< is that OK? I usually use quotes around speech.

Kasanip
2009-08-16, 10:16 AM
Hisanori Yumizaka

Yumizaka had only just started his days errands when the growing crowd huddled around the alleyway drew his attention.
It's not usual that the townspeople get this excited about a passing street performer...Nevertheless, free entertainment should not be scoffed at... He thought to himself.
Shrugging, and adjusting his pack slightly, he started to move his way through the crowd to get a glimpse within.

SwanyUSD
2009-08-16, 10:21 AM
Sighing at an inevitable confrontation by yet another overly arrogant man, Miya shakes her head in disbelief. It is clear she will have to do something drastic to prevent unnecessary bloodshed.

Peasant, humbly apologize to this man, and begone. Continue to improve your rice ball dish, and some day he may not vomit at it's taste. Go then, and keep your family fed.

*edit*

I think I will use that as well. Italics for thought, quote box for speech.

Kensen
2009-08-16, 10:30 AM
The ronin laughs at the peasant. "You heard her. Get up on your knees and apologize, and I'll let you go." The peasant is wailing in pain, curled up in a fetal position. He tries to get up on his knees but his bruised ribs hurt too much. He falls to his side and starts crying.

"Get up!"

blackseven
2009-08-16, 10:36 AM
Satoshi

A sneer crosses his face as Satoshi reaches into his sleeve. He digs coins out of a purse and throws 2 bronze pieces at the angry ronin's feet with an expression of utter contempt.

"There is your payment; that which you should have earned with honest service you have instead cheated out of an honest man. Take it, fall silent, and begone."

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-16, 10:39 AM
Inoue Ame

Ame steps forward from the crowd, hand stll resting on her sword's handle.

"There's no sense in taking this any further, is there? Clearly the peasant has learned his lesson, yes?"

She looks down at the battered peasant, then back up at the ronin. Then see's the older man toss to coins and nods to the Ronin, hoping he'll take it.

SwanyUSD
2009-08-16, 10:39 AM
This situation is escalating far too quickly. It is time to teach both the eta and the ronin a lesson in the power of words...

PEASANT! Pull yourself together! Apologize to this man immediately, or the last breath he will take will be killing you and destroying any chance your family has at continued food at their humble table.

*edit*

OOC: Doh! The coins dropping would have definitely stopped me from saying that. Oh well, must learn to type faster...

Kensen
2009-08-16, 10:55 AM
The peasant, gritting his teeth and trying to ignore the pain, gets to the seiza position. He places his hands on the ground in front of his knees and bows deeply. "I... I apologize... please spare my life!"

The ronin looks at the peasant and harumphs. He looks at the coins and spits on them. He sheathes his sword and says "Let's go" to his five friends and walks past Miya and Satoshi.

"Quickly! Before they leave!" Yohei exclaims. "We must hire those brave samurai!"

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-16, 11:01 AM
Ame

Ame waits until the ronin get a fair distance down the street before approaching the peasants.

"Are you hurt badly?" she asks the peasant who was kicked around.

While waiting for a reply she looks at the older samurai who stepped in first, then turns back to the peasants.

blackseven
2009-08-16, 11:10 AM
Satoshi spares not a glance at the retreating ronin. Instead he approaches the hurt peasant, stopping to bow respectfully to both of the young samurai women in turn.

"Thank you, good samurai-ko-tachi, for you intervention. It is good to know that Heaven's virtue of mercy can still be found in at least some of the young today."

He then turns to the peasant, kneeling down to check the peasant's condition.

"Good farmer, how do you fare? And what is the fair price for that those wretches took from you?"

Kensen
2009-08-16, 11:15 AM
"I am sorry for the trouble I caused." He gets up to his feet slowly, wincing at the pain. "I... I'll go home. I'm sorry. Thank you for your help, kind honorable samurai."

Yohei runs up to Satoshi and drops to his knees, bowing deeply. "Brave, noble samurai, we would be greatly honored if you joined us for a cup of rice and some sake. It is all we can offer, but it is really important. No-one else will help us. Please, join us and listen ---"

"Yohei, you idiot!" Rikichi says. "Don't scare him away with your blabbering!" Rikichi bows deeply. "We want to hire you."

blackseven
2009-08-16, 11:23 AM
Satoshi nods his head in a slight bow to the two new peasants.\

"Good farmers, one crisis at a time, I ask of you. I will hear you out after i am sure your neighbor will be fine."

He turns back to the injured peasant.

"Will you be alright? If nothing else, use this to help yourself."

He pushes 4 bronze pieces from his purse into the peasant's hand, then picks up the 2 pieces he threw at the ronin, dusts them off and places those into his purse.

Kensen
2009-08-16, 11:51 AM
"Thank you, thank you very much!" the peasant says, bowing as deeply as his bruised ribs allow. "My wife will take care of me. I will be alright." He thanks Satoshi several times before taking his leave.

13_CBS
2009-08-16, 01:55 PM
(OOC: Good grief you guys post fast :smalleek:)

Minoru

Minoru was wistfully gazing at the sky, so regrettably he misses most of the commotion.

He is a very young man, only 19 years of age, but his eyes hint at a wisdom not commonly seen among youths. He sits astride an old mule, with a fine kama yari slung over his shoulder. Seeing a rabble of people gathered in front of him, he spurs his mount towards them.

"Come on, Oo-mimi-san...

Uh, excuse me, my lords," he says, once he gets within earshot of the group of samurai. "Did something happen here?"

Mantid
2009-08-16, 08:08 PM
Oshizu Noboru

Noboru stands close by, leaning against a wall and half-listening to the aurguement and conversations of the ronin, peasants, and samurai. As a young man of only seventeen winters, just starting out on his travels, he was uncertain how to approach the situation. With the commotion over however, Noboru makes his way toward the group, interested in what work the farmers may be seeking help for. He acknowledges the farmers with a bow of his head and takes up sizing up the other warriors gathering around.

Kensen
2009-08-17, 12:36 AM
Rikichi speaks: "We are from a humble village that has faced many hardships in the past. The worst of all are the bandits that have raided us many times. They steal our barley and rice, and take our women. It has got to stop. But we're peasants, not warriors..."

Kasanip
2009-08-17, 03:24 AM
Hisanori Yumizaka

The commotion over, at least for the time, Yumizaka looked at the two samurai within the alleyway, before shrugging his shoulders, and continuing down the street. No doubt there would be plenty more time to see them at the inn. Indeed, one of the fellows looked familiar. Shielding his eyes with a hand, he noted the weather with a smile, and carried on.

blackseven
2009-08-17, 11:16 AM
Satoshi, after being sure that the injured peasant is walking away steadily, listens to the new arrival's short statement and nods sagely.

"I understand your dilemma. It is distressing common in this age."

Satoshi directs his gaze around the crowd, settling momentarily on those who seemed more interested in the peasant's proposal than those who were looking for a good show, including the two samurai-ko who helped in the altercation, a young male warrior mounted on a mule, and on another young man who has worked himself to the front of the crowd and appeared to be studying Satoshi. Satoshi nods to the four who caught his attention, and his gaze comes back to the young man on the mule.

"Excuse my rudeness, young one. Too many questions, and yet I have but only one mouth with which to answer. There was a minor incident which resolved without bloodshed. I suspect that perhaps what these farmers have to say will prove much more interesting."

Satoshi turns back to the two peasants.

"Would you be opposed to explaining your dilemma in more detail at a better suited location, good farmers? And perhaps to several of us at once, to save time?"

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-17, 12:15 PM
Ame

Ame rises to her feet again from kneeling to check on the farmer who was attacked.

"E-excuse me, before we go, can I ask your name sir?" Ame looks at Satoshi expectantly.

Kensen
2009-08-17, 01:20 PM
"Y-y-yes sir, we are staying at an inn just around the corner. Please, come with us (looks around) and your fellow noble warriors are welcome to join as well. We can offer you some rice and sake." Rikichi bows deeply.

13_CBS
2009-08-17, 01:24 PM
Minoru

Minoru scratches his head. "Err...I'm not a samurai by any means, but I can't just ignore your crisis. Do you mind if I tag along?"

Kensen
2009-08-17, 01:37 PM
Yohei, Manzo and Rikichi exchange confused looks as the former ashigaru joins the conversation. With a shaky finger, old Yohei points at the Kama-yari. "If you can kill bandits with that, I don't mind. Do you Manzo and Rikichi?"

Seeing that Minoru is no samurai, Rikichi starts to protest but Manzo casts an angry look at him. "We will not deny anyone who is willing to help us."

He turns to Satoshi. "But you sir, I'm sure you know more about warfare than any of us simple peasants. If you agree to help us, it is you of course, who chooses who will follow you." Manzo bows respectfully.

blackseven
2009-08-17, 02:16 PM
Satoshi bows politely (to the waist) to the young samurai-ko.

"I am called Satoshi." A warm small crosses his face. "Among other, less pleasant things. However, young one, is it not customary to introduce yourself first when asking someone else's name?"

He then turns to the young warrior on the horse.

"Ashigaru have a long, valuable history on the battlefield. I have no objections."

He then turns back to the peasants.

"I have survived many battles, this is true, but survive does not ensure wisdom. And I certainly would not presume to consider anyone a follower. Nevertheless, we will discuss things further at your lodgings."

13_CBS
2009-08-17, 02:27 PM
Minoru

Minoru blinks, then hurries off of his old mule. "Ah! Forgive my rudeness, my lords. I'm but a simple rurounin, a wanderer, and I'm called Minoru. It's a great honor to meet you, my lords." He gives everyone a deep bow.

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-17, 02:38 PM
Ame

"P-please forgive me, Satoshi-sama." Ame returns Satoshi's bow. "I am Inoue Ame, retainer of the Niwa clan. I-I was impressed how you stepped in to aid those farmers... it is not common to see that."

Ame turns her attention to the man on the mule.

"It is nice to meet you as well, Minoru-san." she sketches a short bow to him as well.

Mantid
2009-08-17, 08:47 PM
Noboru

Noboru shallows hard as he studies the other warriors. It seems apparent to him that the others are experienced veterans, more than capable of handling themselves in a fight. Noboru shifts a bit as he considers if he could hold his own among these warriors.

"Pardon me," the young man says at last. "I hope I am not intruding, but I would like to lend my blade to this cause as well." He offers a bow and continues, "I am Oshizu Noboru. I am well trained in the way of the sword, despite my age. I'm certain I can be an aid to you if I may join with you."

SwanyUSD
2009-08-17, 09:03 PM
Hatori Miya

Greetings Oshizo-san, and greetings. I am Hatori miya - of the now destroyed Hatori clan in the northern plains.

Miya bows deeply to all present. Her grace exudes in her fluid, yet tempered movements. A strand of long, thick black hair dangles in front of her face. Brushing aside the strand, she continues,

And you, fair heimin, most certainly have my blades at your call. For the price of your shelter, rice, water and tales, I lend you my strong right arm in battle. Let any bandits who dare strike at you face my ancestral blade!

Kensen
2009-08-18, 02:39 AM
"Five! Five warriors!" Yohei exclaims.

http://www.geocities.com/azuchiwind/seven_samurai_yohei.jpg

You enter the inn. It's just a large wooden building with lots of floor space where you can sleep. In the center of the room, there's an irori, a sunken hearth. Manzo and Yohei start cooking rice and heating sake for you, while Rikichi answers any questions about the mission you may have.

There are also six other people resting in the room.

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-18, 03:40 AM
Ame

Ame finds an out of the way corner and sits in seiza. She takes stock of the people entering, and the farmers, before finally speaking up.

"Rikichi-san... what can you tell us about your village?"

Kensen
2009-08-18, 04:02 AM
"We are farmers. There are about 90 people living in the village. There are about two dozen houses in the village. We grow barley and rice. The village and fields are surrounded by hills on either side. A river runs through the village, there are two small bridges across the river. We use the water for irrigation."

"Anything else you'd like to know?"

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-18, 04:54 AM
Ame

Ame looks expectantly at Satoshi to see if he'll ask any further questions.

blackseven
2009-08-18, 05:01 AM
Satoshi nods his head knowingly.

"How many bandits have you seen in total? Are there woods or other resources nearby? And, most importantly... are the villagers willing to fight?"

Kasanip
2009-08-18, 05:12 AM
Yumizaka

Yawning slightly, Yumizaka ducked into the inn, offering a nod of his head to the inn keeper. He takes a quick look around, and sure enough - there are the farmers as well as quite the gathering of samurai sitting around the hearth. A few other travelers and whatnots were scattered around. Yumizaka had to smile.
"Quite the gathering." He offered to the inn keeper with a smile.

Kensen
2009-08-18, 08:41 AM
Rikichi nods. "Yes. Bamboo and trees grow near the village. And yes, we are willing to fight. But... we have no weapons and we are no warriors. Few of us have ever so much as touched a weapon."

13_CBS
2009-08-18, 08:48 AM
Minoru

Minoru rubs his chin and looks thoughtfully at a small grove of bamboo in the distance. (Oo-mimi-san was tied up outside, honking and munching on grass.)

"Well...in times of emergency, bamboo can easily be made into yari, and spears are pretty darn easy to use. I could help with that."

Kensen
2009-08-18, 01:11 PM
Rikichi nods. "Thank you, Minoru-sama. That is a good idea."

To answer Satoshi's earlier question, Rikichi says: "As far as we know, there are forty bandits. They have horses, arms and armor. They even have a couple of muskets."

blackseven
2009-08-19, 05:05 AM
Satoshi spends several moments reflecting on the responses from Rickichi. His lips curl into

"I do have one... somewhat unpleasant request good farmers. Would you cede the right of salvage from the bandit's possessions to the warriors? I have no interest in any prisoners, and only minimal interest in the foodstuff they have plundered, but as far as wargear, I would like to recover and distribute those."

He pauses, clearly bothered by his somewhat dishonorable request. However, he squarely meets the gaze of any warrior who may be giving him a disapproving look. He addresses the warriors:

"A human must have food to eat. The dead have no need of their wargear. Let it be used to serve the living, or sold to feed the living. This is the reality of a ronin's life, lest one fall to banditry."

Kasanip
2009-08-19, 05:26 AM
With a nod of his head to the innkeeper, Yumizaka made his way past the gathering, with the intention of finding a good corner in which to spend the evening. But in the glow of the fire he spotted a man who had the appearance of an old comrade of his. He paused, squinting in the dark.
"Well, I'll be! Is that Satoshi san I see sitting there? What a nostalgic surprise!" He said with a laugh and a smile on his face. Looking around with a nod of his head, he asks with a trace of amusement "You look like you are gathering an army here."

blackseven
2009-08-19, 05:59 AM
Satoshi looks up, surprised. Seeing Yumizaka, he rises quickly to his feet.

"Hisanori-dono? This is a welcome surprise! I had not heard of the fate of our allies after we were routed. It is good that you survived, and perhaps even better to meet in this place at this time."

Satoshi pauses to indicate the meeting.

"Rather than gathering an army, I am now discovering the price of our lives. Would you like to join me, and find your own value as well?"

Kensen
2009-08-19, 06:11 AM
Manzo, Rikichi and Yohei exchange confused looks. Manzo replies: "Of course... We only want to get rid of the bandits. You may take their weapons and armor." Rikichi and Yohei nod in agreement.

Rikichi adds: "The bandits are going to raid the village after the barley is harvested. That's about four to six weeks. We don't have much time."

The three peasants bow deeply as the sixth warrior approaches.

"Oooo, the rice is ready!" Yohei exclaims. "Here you go!" He gives the first bowl of rice to Satoshi,. Then he serves rice to each of the younger warriors, then to Rikichi and Manzo, and finally, to himself.

Kasanip
2009-08-19, 06:11 AM
Yumizaka bows in response to Satoshi's welcome, and chuckles at the offer.

"For defeated men like us there is not much value to be had! Yet I suppose we value our lives enough as it is, and being alive has it's benefits. I would be honored to sit by your side once more, and hear this tale."
Bowing to the others in the group, he offers his name. "I am Hisanori Yumizaka, a pleasure to meet you all."

blackseven
2009-08-19, 06:22 AM
Satoshi quickly introduces Yumizaka to the gathered warriors and village representative. After introductions are complete, he takes his seat and gives thanks for the meal.

"To defend 90 villagers from 40 armed and mounted bandits, in exchange for 3 meals daily and a share of the bandit's treasures of scraps. It sounds like a fine bargain! I will pledge my service to this cause, that your rice will not be spent in vain."

SwanyUSD
2009-08-19, 08:01 AM
Looking around at the ragtag band of warriors, Miya takes a moment between bites of rice.

Aye, a fine price for such a glorious task! 3 square meals, lodging, and perhaps some fine horsemeat! Glory and honor to us and our cause! She politely tips her cup of sake to the others.

Thinking but a moment, she continues,

We will need to prepare the battlefield to our liking. With so many mounted bandits, we must eliminate their advantage. Perhaps we can use the bamboo as buried spears, as a sort of perimeter? I have seen it used once before, but it was astonishingly effective. If we can force them through a tunnel of our blades, we could slay them individually as opposed to facing 6 or 7 apiece. What say you, Satoshi-san?

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-19, 08:18 AM
Ame

Ame has spent most of her long silence deliberating on what to do next.

"I will come as well."

Abruptly Ame stands, and moves to be in front of Satoshi, before re-seating herself in seiza and bowing so that her head nearly touches the floor.

"You are a wise man Satoshi-sama; and while I will go to aid the farmers in any event... I ask that you make me your student, for I have much to learn."

She remains bowed until receiving a response.

13_CBS
2009-08-19, 08:47 AM
Minoru

Stands up and bows a greeting to the honored Yumizuka-sama, and then sits back down.

He gazes at the ribbon tied to his spear as he speaks.

"So...rokunin warriors defending 90 villagers from 40 bandits? That's...not going to be easy. And there's going to be killing, isn't there?" He sighs and scratches the back of his head.

"I'm not really a big fan of fighting, but I can't just let thieves make innocents suffer. Still, I do wish we had more people, or at least some way to get around this without having to fight...

...I guess asking for one more samurai would be too much? Shichinin no Samurai has a nice ring to it, but if Rokunin no Samurai is all we've got, then that'll have to do, I guess."

Kasanip
2009-08-19, 09:40 AM
Yumizaka ran a hand along his chin as he thought about the situation, though an amused grin washed over his face again as Ame presented herself before Satoshi. "I believe, my friend, that you have become the leader of this endeavor." Coughing lightly he glanced back towards the others.
"Well, while the reward is light perhaps in the offering, it does have a certain audacity that moves me. I haven't felt moved like this in some time." He said with a grin. "Perhaps it is our fate to live on the battlefield; if so I have no regrets." He nods towards Miya in agreement with her previous statement.
"I believe...it was Hatori san, correct? As prudent as the planning may be...until we see our battlefield there is little we can predict in the way of defense." He held up a hand as if to forestall an argument. "I do however agree, an enemy divided is an enemy defeated. Rest assured though, even with the little time our farmer friends have offered, we should have plenty of time to arrange a defense."

Kensen
2009-08-19, 09:48 AM
"I believe there are at least than thirty men in our village who are strong enough to fight" Rikichi says. "I'm ready to die for our village" he says solemnly, "and I'm sure Manzo and Yohei here are too."

Yohei swallows hard.

http://www.acepilots.com/discussions/bokuzen-hidari-seven-samurai.jpg

SwanyUSD
2009-08-19, 09:48 AM
Hatori Miya

Pondering Yumikaza's words, Miya responds

Hai, Yumikaza-san, that is a sage approach. Perhaps, then, kind villagers, you could lead us to your humble lands where we can begin the preparations in earnest? Surely there is much to do and no time to spare if these butchers intend to steal your crop and women in 4 weeks time.

Smiling broadly at the situation, she continues

This is truly the moments I have lived for in my life. By my sword and by my blood shall you kindly folk be saved for the winter. For Glory!

With that, Hatori Miya rises in a shout, drawing her blade and hoisting over her head in mock victory. After a few moments of her revelry, she realizes that she has startled quite a few in the inn, and resheathes her katana and settles down to finish her simple meal.

blackseven
2009-08-19, 11:04 AM
Satoshi takes a moment to clear his throat, then looks at Ame's bowing form.

"Inoue-dono. The best place for a samurai... for any person... to learn the trade of war is on the battlefield. It is a harsh teacher, but it is the best. Some have the luxury of preparation and lessons in dojo, but reality has shown me that experience quickly refines anyone who survives. The best I can offer you is to help guide you as a fellow student, perhaps even a sempai, under the same teacher."

He pauses again meaningfully.

"That, and I suspect it would be presumptuous for me to style myself your master. I see that I can add nothing much to your skill. Perhaps I can lower the bitter cost of the wisdom you will earn with experience - but will that be enough?"

Satoshi then turns to the others.

"I welcome your pledges. Indeed, we should not tarry here much longer. There is much work to be done! Discussions of specifics should best be put off until we can see the village for ourselves... and away from prying ears. But the ideas I have heard sound sensible."

"Minoru-san, do you believe we can find any more partners for this endeavor? From what Rikichi-san-tachi have told us, it seems they have had no success until today. However, I do agree that another warrior would certainly be a reassurance."

"Hatori-dono, it is good to see such youthful exuberance!" He flashes Miya a warm smile, attempting to offset her mild embarrassment. "As long as it is appropriate, it is praiseworthy, and it is certainly appropriate at the commencement of a great work such as we are undertaking."

Kensen
2009-08-19, 02:16 PM
Rikichi bows. "Very well. It is already late, so I suggest that we leave this town at the break of dawn."

You get up around 5 am and start your journey.

You walk past a field of barley. Yohei points at the field. "Look! Barley! The barley is almost ripe!"

"Well, we've been away for eleven days now," Manzo replies.

"This is early barley, our mountain crop ripens later," Rikichi says.

OOC: What's your marching order? Satoshi/blackseven may decide it for you, or you can discuss it in-character.

13_CBS
2009-08-19, 02:36 PM
Minoru

Due to Oo-mimi-san's stubbornness, Minoru lags behind the group by a few feet.

"Come on, Oo-mimi-san," he whines as he tugs at the reigns. The mule neighs angrily in response and refuses to budge. "We're holding everyone up!"

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-19, 03:07 PM
Ame

*** While at the Inn ***

Ame returns to an ordinary sitting position.

"Then I will try to live up to your expectations, Satoshi-sama."

*** On the Road ***

Ame keeps mostly to herself, walking to the right side of the path and trying to keep her eyes out for anything that may approach from that angle. Mostly though she spends the trip lost in thought.

If this is the only way to learn then so be it; I just hope Satoshi-sama's confidence is not misplaced...

Sorry for revisiting the inn, but since it doesn't require a response I figured it would make sense and finish out the conversation >.<;

blackseven
2009-08-19, 03:44 PM
Satoshi

After talking with the other warriors, Satoshi creates an order of march based on what seems to be people's skills and affinities. He spends most of the idle time during the walk half paying attention to the path and the threats/advantages of the landscape, while pointing these out to Ame (and anyone else who will listen) and trying to teach her what to look for in terrain. He will also hear any questions she has but tries to steer back to the subjects of terrain, and more generally about situational awareness and analysis.

Marching order (suggestion)
Miya up front bit ahead
Noboru somewhat behind (close enough to quickly support Miya)
Minoru on Oomimi with the peasants (and their pack mules) in the middle
Ame and Satoshi right behind that group (being mindful to avoid mule droppings)
Yumizaka trailing behind as a rearguard

"Orders"
1. Ranged weapons prepared for easy draw
2. Keep pace with the slowest (Minoru?)
3. Move to support, keep cohesion, beware of bait and switch or distractions

Mantid
2009-08-19, 04:40 PM
Noboru

Noboru marches along ahead of the peasants, breathing deeply to keep himself calm and reminding himself that this is what he has spent his life training for. He tries to keep an eye on Miya ahead, but looses the scouting warrior whenever she moves to the side to examine something.

Still uncertain, Noboru falls back slightly and waits till Minoru happens to be at the front of the peasants' group. "Have you been in many situations like this?" he asks the mounted warrior.

13_CBS
2009-08-19, 04:48 PM
Minoru

"Oh, please Oo-mimi-san, you're embarrassing us--huh?" Young Noboru's question distracts Minoru long enough for the mule to give him a firm headbutt to the abdomen, knocking the wind out of the wanderer.

"Oof! Ow, stupid...Oh, uh, sorry my lord, but as a lone wanderer I usually run away from fights. I've been in a battle before, once, but I've never, say, defended a village from bandits or anything. I've never been outnumbered and disadvantaged like we might be, either."

Mantid
2009-08-19, 05:11 PM
Noboru

The young samurai nods. "Seems we are in the same situation, then," he replies. "I've fought a few duels since I left my father's house, but have yet to take on something of this scale. I suppose we must wait and see how it goes." Noboru offers Minoru a smile, however uncertain and forced it may be. Inwardly he hoped the other samurai had experience, a couple of them certainly looked old enough to have. It would be a tragedy to loose the Oshizu honor so early in his wanderings.

SwanyUSD
2009-08-19, 05:58 PM
Miya

Miya moves with a grace and athleticism borne of years of experience as a scout for the Hatori clan. She keeps herself a solid minute ahead of the group, off the road and in the natural terrain where she is most comfortable. Every hour, she reports back to Satoshi with what she has seen and if there have been any signs of activity out of the ordinary.

Tracking [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]

13_CBS
2009-08-19, 06:39 PM
Minoru

Still tugging on his mule, Minoru offers a token of wisdom. "All I can really say, young master, is that battles are nothing like duels. Not for us ashigaru, anyway. If someone offers you a duel in the middle of a battle, he's either a fool or the noblest of souls. Anyone else will gladly stab you in the back." At this, his eyes flicker to an old, old wound in the back of his thigh.

Mantid
2009-08-19, 08:50 PM
Noboru

"I would never presume a battle is like a duel," Noboru explains. "Yet it is all the ex..." Noboru pauses, wonder if he's revealing too much. Deciding he might as well continue his though, he lowers his voice so the peasants might not overhear. "All the experience I've had since training."

Noboru returns to trying to follow Miya's movements, but still unable to follow the scout until she is on her way back to the group to report.

Kasanip
2009-08-20, 03:46 AM
Yumizaka

Far in the back of the group, about ten paces behind or so, Yumizaka is enjoying the pleasant weather. He is fairly relaxed, and when not on the lookout, contemplating how much accuracy he had lost through neglect of his bow skill. It had been quite a while since he had shot, afterall. To the kids in front of him, he was not entirely sure what to say. Most of them reminded him of himself when he was younger. War changes people, he contemplated sourly. A faint breeze struck up, and he felt his spirits rising again.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Kensen
2009-08-20, 07:52 AM
Three days into the journey, Miya spots a red-robed man standing at a crossroads while scouting ahead. You've met many travelers and farmers on your way to the village, but this one is no ordinary traveler. His face is stern, his head shaven, and he's carrying a naginata. His eyes are fixed on the road ahead of him. He's standing completely motionless and his face shows no emotion.

13_CBS
2009-08-20, 01:46 PM
Minoru

Minoru blinks and quirks an eyebrow. He mutters to Satoshi, "Hey, is that a monk? I've seen plenty of black-robed monks traveling with staves, but I don't think I've seen a red-robed one armed with a naginata."

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-20, 02:19 PM
Ame

Ame has spent much of the trip to this point listening to Satoshi-sama's advice about terrain; and the rest, mostly lost in her own thoughts. Minoru's explanation is the first thing since leaving the inn to really drag her back into the real world.

She looks closely at the red-garbed man, attempting to see if she recognizes his style of dress.

Ame will use Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty to see if she can recognize the man's faction. (Obviously if it's a religious faction it probably won't work <'x'> but that's Ame's lack of real world experience talking heh)

[roll0]

blackseven
2009-08-20, 02:29 PM
Satoshi strokes his chin, considering a moment.

"Red robes are not as common, I believe, Minoru-san, but I have heard of some sects. That he is carrying a naginata suggests to me that he is more likely a yamabushi monk, or at least disguised as such. We much be careful in our dealings with him. Emperor Go-Shirakawa is said to have warned: 'There are three things that I have absolutely no power upon: 1. dice, 2. the flow of the river Gamo, 3. warrior-monks of Mount Hiei.'"

He looks around quickly.

"I would like one to join me in talking with the one up ahead. The rest of you, stay here, and watch the surroundings just in case this is a lure or ruse."

13_CBS
2009-08-20, 02:38 PM
Minoru

Minoru nods at Satoshi's advice. I'm not exactly the best talker, my lord, so I'll stay back and keep watch."

Spot and Listen rolls:

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Kensen
2009-08-20, 04:32 PM
The red-robed figure doesn't seem to pay attention to you. It's as though he was deep in meditation - or pretending to be totally oblivious of you.

Mantid
2009-08-20, 04:48 PM
Noboru

"I... I can go with you," Noboru volunteers. "I may not be the wisest speaker, but my family have long trained to react quickly. I think I'm your best choice if things turn dangerous. I... I am. I'll go with you." Noboru seems to gain confidence as he speaks. Standing as a guard is something closer to his training, something he's more comfortable with than facing down a band of bandits.

((OOC: Hmm.... a bodyguard with no ranks in sense motive. Somehow I always miss the obvious. :smalltongue:))

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-20, 06:16 PM
Ame

"I will stay here and keep my bow at hand. Please be careful."

Ame nods toward Satoshi and Noboru as she slips the bow off her shoulder and into her hands.

13_CBS
2009-08-20, 06:53 PM
Minoru

Minoru peers closely at the red-robed monk. "Normally I'd say that meeting a monk on the road is a pretty good thing. But then, some bandits like to pretend to be monks. Hope this goes well..."

Kensen
2009-08-21, 01:47 AM
Satoshi and Noboru approach the red-robed man. When Satoshi and Noboru are at a distance of nine paces from the man, he adjusts his stance to gedan-no-kamae, a defensive posture. His eyes are still fixed on the ground.

blackseven
2009-08-21, 03:48 AM
Satoshi stops short and waves Noboru to stop as well. He politely clears his throat and speaks out in a loud, but friendly tone.

"Good seeker of enlightenment, it is far from the mountains here. Are you a fellow traveler on this day? Do you seek something in particular?"

While speaking, Satoshi is carefully checking the monk and his surroundings, and also trying to read the monk's intentions while remaining polite.

Checks:
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Diplomacy [roll2]
Sense Motive [roll3]

Kensen
2009-08-21, 05:52 AM
Though the face of the man remains emotionless, Satoshi senses that the man was moved by his friendly words. Without lifting his eyes from the ground, the man speaks: "It is true, the mountains are far; yet I was sent here to 'seek the tallest mountain' and conquer it."

"The gods often speak in riddles, and therefore I believe that it is my quest to test my prowess in the arts of war until I find 'the tallest mountain'."

"Accept my challenge or admit defeat. Or go back whence you came."

Satoshi detects no danger in his surroundings. The monk appears to be telling the truth.

blackseven
2009-08-21, 06:12 AM
Satoshi nods in acknowledgment.

"I hear your words, honored monk. To be sure, I am not opposed to a test of strength and skill, but I frown on unneeded bloodshed. Let us discuss the terms of the contest: the conditions of victory, withdrawal, and limitations on tactics. Then I will seek a worthy challenger among my companions."

Kensen
2009-08-21, 08:08 AM
"An honorable duel*. The duel ends when one of the warriors either yields or dies."

OOC: * At a nine-step distance (3 empty squares between the characters), the characters bow to each other, then draw their weapons (if applicable). Then initiative is rolled and combat begins. You may disengage from melee, but if you move farther away from the opponent than the initial distance, you are considered to be fleeing and you've lost the duel.

SwanyUSD
2009-08-21, 08:30 AM
Miya

Concealed in the bushes some 20 paces from the road, Miya frowns at the thought of the monk challenging Satoshi-san to a duel. Perhaps his mountain may be facing 40 armed and mounted bandits...

She quietly slides deeper into the bushes and rejoins her companions, prepared to plead her case to Satoshi and the others.

blackseven
2009-08-21, 01:52 PM
Satoshi

"I would propose, good monk, that we fight until one yields. Killing when avoidable is regrettable. We may be able to find a suitable replacement for live steel in the area."

Diplomacy [roll0]

Basically trying to convince him to use nonlethal damage.

After hearing the monk's answer, Satoshi returns to the group with Noburu and explains the situation to everyone.

13_CBS
2009-08-21, 02:18 PM
Minoru

Upon hearing Satoshi's explanation...

"Well, I don't think I've ever fought a yamabushi monk, but if it's just a friendly match...may I, Satoshi-sama?"

blackseven
2009-08-21, 02:26 PM
A wry grin hints across Satoshi's face as he reaches into his sleeve.

"I suppose there is only one fair way to determine who has the honor of representing us before the honored monk."

He pulls out his hand and reveals 2 well worn dice.

"Anyone who is interested may come form, and we will let the god decide."

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-21, 02:29 PM
Ame

"A duel..."

Ame frowns.

"I will fight him."

Ame looks almost stunned at her own declaration.

"I-if, if no one else prefers to, at any rate. I don't have any experience in real combat, but my training has largely been centered around dueling so it would make some sense..."

And we can't afford to lose anyone more important now anyway.

This is supposed to come before Satoshi's post >.< see OOC thread for explanation

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-21, 02:31 PM
Ame

Ame breathes deeply before accepting the die from Satoshi.

Calm, Ame...

[roll0]

13_CBS
2009-08-21, 02:37 PM
Minoru

Minoru picks up the dice from the floor. Hmm...haven't touched one of these in the while. Heh, gambling dens...

[roll0]

13_CBS
2009-08-21, 02:39 PM
(OOC: Uh, let's try that again, shall we? [roll0])

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-21, 03:10 PM
Ame

Ame bows to Minoru.

"It appears you have bested me, Minoru-san."

Ame appears to be both relieved and disappointed at the same time.

Mantid
2009-08-21, 07:10 PM
Noboru

Noboru examines the dice, wondering what the monk must think of the manner of choosing their champion. With a short chuckle, he tosses the dice.

[roll0]

"You are a tough opponent, Minoru-san," he says with a grin.

Kasanip
2009-08-21, 07:52 PM
Yumizaka

Scratches his chin with an amused smile on his face as the dice are rolled.
"Quite an interesting way to decide a duel." He graciously takes the dice and tosses them with carefree indifference, sizing up the monk while the dice roll.

Dice: [roll0]

(ooc: this is going to be a hilarious sense motive roll I can already tell...)

Sense Motive: [roll1]

SwanyUSD
2009-08-22, 12:05 AM
Miya

By the Fortunes, they would let chance dictate the proper course?

I never was a gambler...

Miya picks up the worn cubes and gives them a roll.[roll0]

Kensen
2009-08-22, 12:25 AM
The monk shifts back to a more relaxed posture. "This is interesting."

blackseven
2009-08-22, 05:00 AM
Satoshi

"Minoru-san, it appears the fortunes have favored you. You may challenge our guest or cede the honor."

Kensen
2009-08-22, 08:57 AM
"I'm ready. I wish you the best of luck, whichever of you is going to fight me. I am Sato. I'm honored to fight you."

The monk bows.

13_CBS
2009-08-22, 12:41 PM
Minoru

Minoru laughs at the results of the die rolling. "Well! Looks like the gods of chance want to see me getting my arse beaten today!

Before I go, is there any one among you lords who would like to try his hand? One last call for volunteers, I guess..."

blackseven
2009-08-22, 12:58 PM
Satoshi shakes his head.

"It is not good to keep our guest waiting. Do well, Minoru-san."

He turns to the monk.

"This brave one will face you, good monk. Let the battle be fair, and let us not push ourselves to frivolous bloodshed."

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-22, 01:02 PM
Ame

"Good luck, Minoru-san. I know you will do well."

She manages a weak smile and a nod, then attempts to feign calm.

We really can't afford to lose anyone... please be safe...

Kensen
2009-08-22, 01:11 PM
Sato bows to Minoru and assumes a battle stance.

Initiative:
[roll0]

13_CBS
2009-08-22, 02:02 PM
Minoru

Minoru gives the group a cheerful smile. "Ganbaremasu."

He takes off the sheathe on his spear, unveiling a shining metal head made of good steel. As the weapon is a kama yari, it had a normal spearhead jutting out from the end, plus a small scythe blade coming out at a 90 degree angle from the spear socket. A worn but clean blue ribbon, made of fine Chinese cotton, is tied to the spearhead, just above the scythe blade.

Before he walks into the combat zone, Minoru kisses the blue ribbon and mutters, "The gods willing, may my oath remain unbroken."

With a twirl of his spear, Minoru steps into the dueling arena.

Initiative:
[roll0]

Kensen
2009-08-22, 02:36 PM
OOC: You won the init, make your first attack.

13_CBS
2009-08-22, 02:47 PM
Minoru

Seizing the initiative, Minoru makes the first move. Two quick steps forward, and then he makes a probing attack with his spear.

Move so that the monk is within reach of Minoru's spear (Minoru has reach), then attack:

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1]

Kasanip
2009-08-22, 08:28 PM
Yumizaka

Yumizaka watches with his arms across his chest, standing beside his companions. Seeing Ame's weak smile, he offers a sympathetic smile and pats her shoulder gently.
"There's nothing to worry about. Minoru has a good stance and pace. Believe in him."

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-23, 06:31 AM
Ame

"I hope so..." Ame looks at Yumizaka "... i-it is not that I doubt Minoru-san's skill; any of you is certainly a better fighter than I, and I-I was willing to face the monk."

Ame's brow furrows.

"But we cannot afford to lose anyone. I don't want us to disappoint Rikichi-kun or Yohei-kun over a monk's foolish game."

Ame sighs and tries to relax.

Kensen
2009-08-23, 07:50 AM
Minoru's spear cuts Sato's shoulder, drawing blood. If it hurt, the monk certainly didn't show it. He attacks Minoru's shins with a horizontal sweep.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

13_CBS
2009-08-23, 08:42 AM
Minoru

Minoru tries to twist out of the way of the blow, but for all his efforts he receives a nasty cut to the thigh.

Whoops...time to get serious.

With a flick of his wrist, Minoru aims his kama yari's scythe blade at the monk's legs...

Just to clarify, the monk's naginata doesn't have reach, right? If so, Minoru will first take a 5 foot step backward. Then, he will try to trip the monk.

Touch attack against monk: [roll0]
Strength check to trip: [roll1] (+4 from Improved Trip)

Kensen
2009-08-23, 09:11 AM
The monk attempts to bat the spear away with his naginata.

Strength check [roll0]

EDIT: I rolled a ONE!! *tripped*

13_CBS
2009-08-23, 09:24 AM
(OOC: Hee hee hee. :smallbiggrin: Remember, it takes a move action to make the monk stand up, and it provokes an Attack of Opportunity to stand up again.)

Minoru

Minoru points his spear at the monk's throat.

"Surrender, sir monk! If you try to stand up, I'll just trip you again. Let's just call this a day and we can all go home, eh?"

In case the monk tries to stand up again, Attack of Opportunity:

Melee touch attack: [roll0]
Trip attempt: [roll1]

Kensen
2009-08-23, 11:57 AM
Stubbornly, the monk continues fighting. The monk's face turns red and every muscle in his body is filled with new power as he enters a religious frenzy.

"I need not stand up to beat you."

The monk attacks Minoru's hands.

[roll0] (prone, raging)

EDIT: The naginata penetrates Minoru's armor and cuts deep in his forearm. "Surrender!"

13_CBS
2009-08-23, 02:24 PM
(OOC: Wait, I'm a tad confused...does the monk's naginata have reach? I thought it was just a halberd. :smallconfused:)

Kensen
2009-08-23, 02:40 PM
OOC: No, it's a glaive. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned it.

EDIT: Sato's naginata is basically a recycled katana blade (3 ft long) mounted on an oval shaft that is about 6 ft long. The naginata also features a tsuba. Check out these wikipedia articles: naginata (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naginata)and glaive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaive)and you'll notice that they're approximately the same length on average.

13_CBS
2009-08-23, 04:10 PM
Minoru

Minoru barely suppresses a cry of pain as the naginata lacerates his arm. "N-not yet..."

He takes a step forward while choking up on his weapon, and aims a blow at the monk.

Use the Short Haft feat as a swift action, reducing my kama yari's reach to 5 feet, then attack.

Attack: [roll0]

Edit: I forgot to add 1.5x my strength bonus to damage for the kama yari attacks, so by now the monk will have lost at least 7 hp.

Kensen
2009-08-24, 12:32 AM
The monk winces as Minoru hits him again with the spear. Regretting that he left his wakizashi up in the mountain village, he can only admit that he's running out of good options.

"I yield. You have proven that you are not only a skilled warrior but also an intelligent one."

Sato takes the full defense action.

OOC: Combat ends. Also, I realized that a typical Japanese katana blade is less than two and half feet long, so his naginata is slightly shorter than what I described above.

Kasanip
2009-08-24, 04:22 AM
Yumizaka

Yumizaka smiles. "See? No worries, though our friend does look a bit beat up." He steps forward to the two combatants.
"An admirable performance to you both. Now come, let's do something about that bleeding..."

Kensen
2009-08-24, 04:39 AM
Assuming that Minoru allows him to stand up, Sato gets up and bows to Minoru. "Every battle you fight makes you wiser. Now I know I should carry a second weapon."

Sato eyes Minoru's five samurai friends and the three peasants.

"You won the duel, so you and your friends may pass. May I ask you where you're going to? I'm not used to seeing peasants and samurai traveling together. And there's hardly anything interesting for samurai to see in that direction either."

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-24, 07:37 AM
Ame

Ame steps forward without a word, pulling her small healer's kit from her bundled supplies as she goes. She gives Minoru a quick once over to determine his injuries.

Heal check to see how badly he's hurt [roll0]

13_CBS
2009-08-24, 08:36 AM
Minoru

Minoru gives the monk a bow. I *ow* thank you, lord monk, for honoring me with this duel." He then stands still as Ame attends to his wounds.

"As for where we're going...we're heading off to a nearby village for some business. Satoshi-sama over there can fill you in on the details, if you wish."

Kasanip
2009-08-24, 09:11 AM
Yumizaka

As Ame passes him by to see to Minoru's wounds, Yumizaka raises an eyebrow. A cheeky grin passes his mouth, but he bites his tongue and turns to the monk, with a bow.
"I would see to your wounds first, and we shall have plenty of time for discussion."

(Assuming the monk is willing..then the roll is below)

Heal Check: [roll0]

Kensen
2009-08-24, 09:21 AM
"A village... interesting." The monk looks somewhat surprised. "Are you going to extract taxes from them, or why, if I may inquire?"

Kensen
2009-08-24, 09:29 AM
The monk thanks Yumizaka. "You are kind to treat my wounds even though I wounded your friend."

Ame thinks it will take Minoru less than a week to recover from the wounds.

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-24, 12:00 PM
Ame

"You will be alright, Minoru-san. Just hold still..."

Ame begins tending his injuries, cleaning the cuts as best as possible with what's available in the healing kit, and then using the bandages to staunch the bleeding.

<;_;> Pray I roll well... none of my skills are max ranks ><; at least the kit gives circumstance bonuses though.

[roll0]

I'm going for the Long Term Care option; since it's the only one that actually fits. (First Aid is only to stabilize someone who's dying) - So after this initial check, I'll keep an eye on him and administer anything he needs >.<

Assuming I don't flub it anyway >.<

If I succeed he'll heal twice as fast as normal.

*edit* Woo! <o.o> natural 19.

blackseven
2009-08-24, 12:03 PM
Satoshi steps forward and bows both to Sato and then to Minoru.

"It was a good fight. I am always impressed by those who can show great skill at the polearm. The wounds were heavier than I would have liked, but such is the nature of this business. I am glad you are both alive and mostly well."

Satoshi nods to both Ame and Yumizaka as they examine the combatant's wounds, then turns back to address the monk.

"Sato-houshi, the village of these good farmers is being threatened by bandits. They do not have the ability to pay the bandit's demands in rice. We have been hired by these good farmers to pay the bandits in steel."

Kensen
2009-08-24, 04:00 PM
"If you fight as well as Minoru-san did, I'm sure you'll be victorious."

Sato looks at Minoru. "I hope your arm heals soon."

He looks at the crossroads. "I guess I should decide which way to go. There's no point for me to stay here anymore. I wish you good luck in the coming battle." Sato bows.

blackseven
2009-08-24, 04:05 PM
Satoshi

"Sato-houshi, would you like to lend your naginata to our cause? Surely the opportunity to test your blade in overwhelming odds has a certain attraction to one who seeks to master their skills. We will be facing numerous opponents and will have to trust our wits and fortunes to succeed."

Diplomacy
[roll0]

Kensen
2009-08-24, 05:20 PM
"Very well. Perhaps I'll find the tallest mountain while fighting the bandits."

blackseven
2009-08-24, 05:23 PM
Satoshi makes a welcoming gesture.

"Yes, Sato-houshi, or perhaps you may find the deepest valleys. I am uncertain as to which better describes the true crucible of war. What I know for certain, is that the more hands share a burden, the lighter the load."

SwanyUSD
2009-08-24, 09:21 PM
Miya

Miya steps forward, and proudly lifts her chin to the monk.

Sato-houshi, I too am very impressed with your technique with the naginata. If it weren't for the clever thinking of Minoru-san, here, I fear you may have slain him. I am proud to have you join our cause, and if I may be so bold, the villagers would be proud to have such a warrior at their side! Welcome.

Hatori Miya bows low, holding her position until the monk acknowledges her.

I am Hatori Miya, champion of the former Hatori clan of the Northern Reaches.

As she turns to join the group, momentarily, she nods and winks at Minoru, and in a low voice, says

Well done, Minoru-san, a truly impressive display.

With that, Miya disappears into the brush along the road and begins scouting ahead, continually wary of anyone approaching.

13_CBS
2009-08-24, 11:36 PM
Minoru

The young ashigaru nods in appreciation towards Ame's healing touch. "Thanks very much, Inoue-sama, I needed that." He then turns to the monk.

"Well! We were just trying to kill each other, and now we're comrades in arms! Funny how the world works, huh?

Oops! I'm being rude. I'm Minoru, a simple wanderer from Niigata." He gives a bow of greeting to the monk, wincing from his wounds.

Minoru would have responded to Miya's complement, but she had disappeared into the woods already.

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-25, 12:42 AM
Ame

"I-it is no problem. Just be careful... no jumping around, Pincushion-san." Ame grins, at first just a little, but after a moment, larger and more freely.

She turns to Sato, the monk.

"It is good to meet you, Sato-san. I am Inoue Ame, a retainer of Niwa Sanousuke, currently on a training pilgrimage."

After a quick bow, Ame looks across the rest of the group, then to Satoshi.

"Seven, then... it's a good number, I think."

Kasanip
2009-08-25, 03:58 AM
Yumizaka

"No thanks are needed, the pleasure was mine. I am Hisanori Yumizaka. May we fight long and hard together." He adds with a smile and a bow.

Looking about, Yumizaka waves Rikichi and Yohei over. "Come! This honorable monk has agreed to lend his aid to your cause."

Kensen
2009-08-25, 04:50 AM
Two days later, you arrive at the hills that surround the valley in which the village is located. Yohei exclaims "The village is just behind those hills!"

As you crest a hill, you can see the village in the valley below. It is ominously quiet and not a living soul is to be seen in the village square, near the houses, or working in the fields.

"Let's go," Rikichi says, "I'm sure the people are eager to meet you!"

OOC: Minoru recovers 24 hit points. Ame expends another 2 uses from the healer's kit.

blackseven
2009-08-25, 04:56 AM
Satoshi looks over the scene with a grim expression on his face. There seemed to be no evidence of violence - bandits likely did not take the time to bury bodies.

"Rikichi-san-tachi, is there any chance the villagers evacuated and abandoned the village?"

There is a heavy undertone of doubt in Satoshi's voice as he asks the question.

Kensen
2009-08-25, 06:47 AM
Rikichi eyes the village and the fields. "I... I don't know. Look, the barley hasn't been harvested yet! I hope everything's alright... Let's go... please, let's go down to the village."

blackseven
2009-08-25, 06:53 AM
Satoshi holds up a hand to forestall Rikichi.

"Hisanori-dono, Hatori-dono, please go forward and scout out the village.Stay close together so that you can support each other. Withdraw at the first sign of trouble. If you cannot easily withdraw, use this. We will come up a little distance and wait for your return."

He hands Hisanori a signal whistle, then turns to the rest of the group.

"We will go forward a bit more, then get off the road. Warriors, keep your eyes and ears open... and be ready to run to the village if they run into trouble."

Kasanip
2009-08-25, 07:25 AM
Yumizaka

"Understood." Yumizaka says, a keen glimmer in his eyes. He takes his bow into his hand and gives a nod to Miya. "Let's go."

When they depart Yumizaka will utilize all of his wilderness training, looking for signs that bandits have come and gone.
Track: [roll2]

Kensen
2009-08-25, 07:49 AM
Yumizaka spots no signs of battle or bandits. He finds no hoof marks, but there are many fresh foot prints and shoe prints on the ground near the village. Nothing really seems to be out of place in the village - except that there are no villagers to be seen.

13_CBS
2009-08-25, 09:44 AM
Minoru

"Wonder where everyone went..."
He ties Oo-mimi-san to a nearby post and stays near the group, spear in hand.

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-25, 12:22 PM
Ame

Ame unlimbers her bow, keeping it ready in case of trouble.

This is not good... it has to be the bandits, but how would they do this?

OOC: Kensen, I don't think I actually use extra Healing Kit uses for Long Term Care, even if it's over several days. <@.@> of course it's up to you if you prefer it to work that way; but at least by the rules I'm fairly sure it's just 1 use per skill check.

SwanyUSD
2009-08-25, 01:35 PM
Miya

Miya, now concerned with the whereabouts of the villagers, whispers to her scouting companion.

Yumizaka-san, where do you think the villagers are? This is not natural that there is no one about.

OOC: Survival check to determine find/track any footprints in the soil.
[roll0]

Kensen
2009-08-25, 02:16 PM
There are many fresh footprints in the soil. The nearest footprints Miya finds appear to lead to a house nearby.

SwanyUSD
2009-08-25, 05:16 PM
Miya

Hatori Miya ponders for a moment, and then moves quietly towards the home where the tracks lead, motioning for Yumizaka to follow, and motioning her lips for him to remain silent. As she approaches, her senses heighten, and she begins to search for any villagers or bandits that may be about, moving stealthily on the balls of her feet.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Move Silently [roll2]

Kasanip
2009-08-25, 06:02 PM
Yumizaka

It was a puzzling mystery to be sure, Yumizaka thought with a frown. He responded to Miya's question with a soft voice. "Perhaps they left somewhere." At her bidding, he also moved forward towards the house.

Move Silently: [roll2]

13_CBS
2009-08-25, 07:00 PM
Minoru

Minoru peers at Rikichi. "So...you got nothing on why no one's home?"

Mantid
2009-08-26, 01:30 AM
Oshizu Noboru

"Perhaps they though we were the bandits are are hiding..." Noboru suggests hopefully, though he sounds uncertain and worried about the situation.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kensen
2009-08-26, 01:43 AM
Miya and Yumizaka move as quietly as possible towards the house. All the windows are shuttered and the sliding door is closed. Miya presses her ear against the wall, trying to hear any sounds.

She hears a male voice whispering:

"Shhhh! Don't cry... don't cry my love... I won't let them hurt you... I won't let the samurai hurt you..."

SwanyUSD
2009-08-26, 08:03 AM
Miya

Startled by what she hears, Miya shoots a glance to Yumizaka and motions for them to leave the village and head back to the group. Once they reach the outskirts of town, she whispers,

They think we are here to take advantage of them, not help them. We must defer the duty of introductions to Yohei, Manzo and Rikichi. If they are this frightened of us now, who knows what would happen if we show up in force, armed and armored with the 3 villargers seamingly as prisoners. Do you agree, Yumizaka-san?

Kasanip
2009-08-26, 09:23 AM
Yumizaka

"Well said. I agree with you, though this is quite the riot isn't it? Let's not keep the others waiting any longer now." He replies, heading back up where the others are waiting. As the two arrive, he explains the situation to the others with Miya.

blackseven
2009-08-27, 06:38 AM
Satoshi allows the first few excited minutes of adrenaline to pass before considering their options. He doubted the bandits had attacked - as he thought before, the village would have been obviously littered with bodies, even if many of them were taken prisoner. The other option would have been that the villagers abandoned the village, which he also doubted, and Rikichi's opinion reinforced his doubt. The last option was that they were hiding - perhaps some new, unknown threat had revealed itself?

He would have to trust in Miya and Yumizaka's skill, and wait patiently. He nods to the rest of the group, pleased at their efficient action.

Kensen
2009-08-27, 01:32 PM
Yumizaka explains the situation and the peasants listen intently. Yohei looks sad, Manzo looks troubled and Rikichi looks angry.

"Should we go and greet them now?" Rikichi asks.

SwanyUSD
2009-08-27, 02:16 PM
Miya

Perhaps that would be best. It would seem they are terrified by our appearance. You know your own people better than we do, though.

Miya then bows slightly, and steps back to allow the villagers room.

Kensen
2009-08-28, 02:56 AM
The villagers descend into the valley and they walk to the village square. Rikichi calls out: "Come outside! It's me, Rikichi! Yohei and Manzo are here too! We found samurai! We brought seven warriors with us! They're here to help us!"

There's no answer. Some people open the window shutters and peer outside, but they're too much afraid to come outside. For whatever reason... it's totally beyond you.

"I wonder why these people are so afraid of the ones who have come to help them," Sato comments.

13_CBS
2009-08-29, 09:20 PM
Minoru

Minoru grimaces and answers Sato. "I've seen a fair share of...less than honorable samurai. Oh, there are a lot of blessed and noble samurai, too, but it's easier to spread infamy than fame, as far as I know. I guess your village got a hold of rumors about cruel samurai wandering around?"

(OOC: FYI, I don't think I'll be able to access the internet for most of next week, so...yeah. :smalleek:)

Kensen
2009-08-31, 01:34 AM
"My village?" Sato raises an eyebrow.

He eyes Satoshi and the other warriors.

"It's too quiet. We have to change that. Perhaps we should talk to their leader.." Sato shrugs. "A village elder, if they have one."

blackseven
2009-08-31, 04:44 PM
Satoshi

"Yes. Perhaps the best way to show that we mean no harm is to pay our respects to the elder."

Kensen
2009-09-01, 03:17 PM
Rikichi takes you to the village elder's house. He's very old and wrinkly. Rikichi introduces him. "This is Gisaku, the oldest and wisest man in the village. Gisaku-sama, these are the samurai we found."

"Welcome," old Gisaku says, "I'm honored by your presence. What can I do for you?"

OOC: Hmm has everyone lost interest or has the game just been too boring lately? o.O

13_CBS
2009-09-01, 05:41 PM
(OOC: I'm still here. I don't know about everyone else...

On that note, I seem to have the internet for the day.)

mistformsquirrl
2009-09-01, 08:09 PM
I'm still here too; but at this point there's not much for Ame to say or do <'x'> she doesn't really understand what's going on - she kinda figured we'd be greeted as heroes <,< (*sigh* my genre savvy vs her naivete makes for an unusual situation lol) - So I'm j ust watching and waiting, game isn't boring at all! Just can't think of anything my character would do at the moment >.<

blackseven
2009-09-02, 02:19 AM
Satoshi inclines his head slightly to the elder.

"Honored elder. Forgive me for being blunt, but it seems that Rikichi-tachi has hired us to defend an empty village."

Kasanip
2009-09-02, 03:27 AM
Yumizaka sits to the side, looking out through the narrow window slits occasionally, though he is interested in the dialogue as well. Indeed, it was frustrating that the villagers had holed up as they did. That didn't bode well for their reaction when the bandits would come.

Kensen
2009-09-02, 04:24 AM
Nodding and wearing a sad expression, Gisaku speaks: "So they hid, cowering in fear in their homes. The farmers, they are simple people. They are cowards. They have a lot to be afraid of and little hope. They fear the wind because it may bring a storm with it. The fear the rain because it may bring about a flood. They fear strangers because never do they give, they always take. They are afraid every single day of their lives. But can you blame them?"

Mantid
2009-09-02, 04:48 AM
Noboru

Noboru paces around, growing anxious with the possibilities they might face against the bandits. Realizing he was letting his anxieties get the better of him, the young samurai takes a deep breath and slows down, eventually sitting and closing his eyes as he tries to regain his inner calm. After a moment he lets out sigh. "Perhaps we ned to show that we are on their side," he suggests. "Do you think we can find some of the bandits that may be fresh in their mind and bring them, or their heads, back as proof?"

Kasanip
2009-09-02, 04:58 AM
Yumizaka

The older samurai turns and gives Noboru a smirk with a raised eyebrow. "I think bringing back the heads of some of the bandits would scare them more. Besides, we don't actually know where the bandits are yet." He says, sticking his arms into his sleeves.

Kensen
2009-09-02, 07:28 AM
"I apologize for their foolishness. Maybe you can gain their trust if you show them that you are here only to help them."

Rikichi bows. "You can stay at my house. I'll see to that you'll get the meals we promised you."

SwanyUSD
2009-09-02, 08:05 AM
Miya

Miya bows before the elder.

Gisaku-san, I am honored to have met you. If it would be wise, perhaps if some of us were to help them with their crops for a day, we could gain their trust? Without the continued work of your villagers, these people are doomed. We musn't tarry long, though, as the bandits lay somewhere outside these walls, and preparations must be made against their aggression. What say you, wise one?

Kensen
2009-09-02, 08:18 AM
"I have never met a samurai with such a kind heart before. Yes, you may try that if you're not afraid of hard work," Gisaku says.

"I'll help you," Sato says to Miya.

SwanyUSD
2009-09-02, 08:28 AM
Miya

Most excellent, honored one. If you forgive my impetousness, I must begin at once. Time is a resource this village does not have.

Bowing to the elder, she motions for Sato to follow her, and begins working in the fields of the village. If others begin to join her, she cheerfully talks with them, attempting to boost their morale and outlook towards the samurai.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

mistformsquirrl
2009-09-02, 03:45 PM
Ame

Ame follows the others outside, but has kept an aloof distance since arriving in the village.

When Miya goes to work in the rice field, Ame stands off to the edge, looking further into the distance. She watches for bandits, but also spends the time running through the situation in her mind, occasionally rubbing her hand along her forearm as she thinks.

We came here to help them... and now we have to gain their trust? This is ridiculous, they should know we're here to help, we're samurai after all... protecting people is our duty, isn't it?

Kasanip
2009-09-03, 10:01 AM
Yumizaka

Whilest the others make use of their time coaxing the villagers out, or whatnot, Yumizaka will begin mapping the local area to be prepared for the strategy meeting that is sure to come.

Mantid
2009-09-03, 09:53 PM
Oshizu Noboru

Noboru scowls and watches Miya and [maybe] Satoshi working in the fields. He understood why they were there, but he hadn't been trained to be a simple farmhand. His family had fallen from honor, but they still had their pride. Taking a deep breath, Noboru wanders a little ways away to try not to scare the villagers from his fellow warriors' efforts to coax them out of hiding, and keep his eyes out for any sign of the bandits in the distance.

blackseven
2009-09-06, 06:20 AM
Satoshi helps as best he can in the fields as well.

He says with a shrug: "If we are to ask farmers to learn war, then perhaps it is fair that warriors learn to farm."

13_CBS
2009-09-07, 08:50 AM
(OOC: I return!)

Minoru

Minoru surveys the fields. "Hmm...gotta say, this is some pretty nice land you've got here. The soil's all nice and dark, good for barley." He stretches himself and pats Oo-mimi-san on the head. "You ready to do some work?"

As he picks up a hoe and heads out into the farmlands...

Heh...feels just like home. A pang of nostalgia hits him.

13_CBS
2009-09-10, 11:47 PM
(So, uh...anyone wanna post?)

SwanyUSD
2009-09-11, 11:35 AM
(I was waiting for Kensen, as we are doing our thing, and this is where we usually do the scene shift.)

mistformsquirrl
2009-09-11, 03:39 PM
(Same >< Everyone has said something, so I figured we were just waiting on the peasants or a scene transition)

Mantid
2009-09-11, 05:32 PM
(I was half-waiting, half-hitting-my-computer-with-a-hammer-to-get-it-working-again. I know you've all been there before...)

Kasanip
2009-09-11, 10:01 PM
(Likewise waiting on a scene transition :smallwink: )

13_CBS
2009-09-14, 09:03 PM
(I hope this game doesn't die off :smalleek:)