PDA

View Full Version : Flintlocks in Scion

Civil War Man
2009-08-16, 12:33 PM
I am currently working on developing a Scion campaign that takes place sometime in the mid-1600s to early 1700s. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how to deal with the firearms of that era, specifically when it comes to reloading.

The reason I'm asking is because I want to have at least a semi-realistic portrayal of firearms use. However, flintlock weapons take a long time to reload due to being muzzle-loading and single-shot. Going for total realism would have characters taking probably 20-30 ticks between each shot. With reload times like that, the only people who would use firearms would either use it as an opening gambit before charging into melee or go the "trenchcoat full of derringers" route.

hewhosaysfish
2009-08-16, 01:02 PM
1) I believe that was generally how flintlock pistols were used historically.
2) I believe that looks cool.

What's the problem?

MickJay
2009-08-16, 01:06 PM
That is pretty much how firearms were used, I'd go for it. Realistically, reloading in combat would only take place if it was a siege-like situation, or if the gunners were protected by other soldiers (e.g. pikemen). Soldiers tended to carry at least two pieces of firearms (e.g. two muskets or two or more pistols) and a melee weapon or two. You can offer custom-made two- or three-barrelled guns for players to use, or let them, indeed, carry five or six pistols. Alternatively, they can use spread shot, short distance weapons that would affect an area rather than specific targets (wide barrel, large amount of gunpowder, multiple small pieces of lead, powerful recoil).

Civil War Man
2009-08-16, 01:42 PM
I plan on allowing player characters be able to carry multiple firearms, or be built to open with firearms, then close to melee. Hell, the mooks will do that, as will many of the named NPCs I'm creating. I just wanted to make reloading in combat a viable option, too. Considering how long fights in Scion last, a totally realistic portrayal of reload speeds makes reloading in combat a completely inferior choice.

I'm thinking of having Scions have faster reload times, maybe 10-20 ticks, and have options for Birthright firearms that include things like multiple shots or faster reloading.

Kylarra
2009-08-16, 02:34 PM
In "modern day" Scion, guns are a subpar means of combat*, let alone a time when they're even worse.

*The one exception is sniping, and even that is a pretty subpar option compared to everything else, and quickly outclassed by throwing.

erikun
2009-08-16, 07:07 PM
With reload times like that, the only people who would use firearms would either use it as an opening gambit before charging into melee or go the "trenchcoat full of derringers" route.
Yep, that's pretty much the state of flinklocks back then. On the plus side, they tended to kill just about anyone they hit.

If the flintlock is a Birthright, then allowing it to magically reload and fire without powder would make it more useful. Beyond that, flintlocks aren't six-shooters; I'm not sure why they'd be any better.