PDA

View Full Version : Quasi gish question

RagnaroksChosen
2009-08-16, 12:53 PM
Does a swashbucklers insightful strike work with whilring blade would that if you are playing an Int caster allow your int to stack twice?

Edit: for dmg that is.

Murdim
2009-08-16, 01:14 PM
Does a swashbucklers insightful strike work with whilring blade would that if you are playing an Int caster allow your int to stack twice?

Edit: for dmg that is.Insightful Strike lets you add your Int modifier as a precision bonus to damage, it doesn't replace the usual Str mod to damage. So yes, it does stack.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-08-16, 01:15 PM
Insightful Strike lets you add your Int modifier as a precision bonus to damage, it doesn't replace the usual Str mod to damage. So yes, it does stack.

Would casting wraith strike before casting whirling blade make them all touch attacks?

Keld Denar
2009-08-16, 01:33 PM
Yes, but unless you are PAing for full, its generally overkill. All WB attacks are made at your highest AB, so you don't have to worry about iteratives.

You'd be better off casting a Quickened Whirling Blade afterwards than Wraith Strike, IMO. Look in the MIC for the Circlet of Rapid Casting. Its awesome for a Whirling Blader.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-08-16, 03:42 PM
Do any of you have any advice for a whirling blader? any particulare PRCS or metamagic.. i already have sculpt spell and arcane thesis...

out of curiosity can a cleric get whirling blade at all?

tried google searching whilring blade builds but my google fu failed.

Eldariel
2009-08-16, 03:51 PM
out of curiosity can a cleric get whirling blade at all?

Anyspell-line does this. Other than that, Miracle obviously. Don't think it's available without Customize Domain otherwise though.

Keld Denar
2009-08-16, 03:59 PM
Check the Surrealodex over on 339 (gleemax, in case you didn't know) cause I know Dictum Mortum wrote up a mini-guide.

A rather questionable trick is to Empower Whirling Blade. Since Whirling Blade does weapon damage, and that damage is variable, you should be able to Empower it. Also, according to the text in Empower Spell, non-variable components are added before multiplying. Thus, your Str bonus, your enhancement on your weapon, and any Power Attacking you do gets multiplied as well.

You can also Twin or Quicken it to double your output, or do both! That requires some pretty high level slots though.

You can also Sculpt it from a line into a burst, cone, or other shape if you want.

Do note that you can 2hand the weapon you WB, since its attacks are treated as melee attack. That means you get 2:1 PA and 1.5x str bonus, so its better to have a higher Str than Int or Cha, depending on your casting stat.

Really fun, try this:
Goliath Barb2/Fighter2/Duskblade2/SuelArcanamach4/AbjChamp5/Spellsword1/DragonDisc3-4 (depending on LA buyoff).

Get the Dungeoncrasher ACF from Dungeonscape and take the Knockback feat from Races of Stone. Now you can Whirling Blade someone across the room and throw them back into a wall from a distance. This is epicly hillarious and make your DM go HUH?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-08-16, 05:26 PM
Check the Surrealodex over on 339 (gleemax, in case you didn't know) cause I know Dictum Mortum wrote up a mini-guide.

A rather questionable trick is to Empower Whirling Blade. Since Whirling Blade does weapon damage, and that damage is variable, you should be able to Empower it. Also, according to the text in Empower Spell, non-variable components are added before multiplying. Thus, your Str bonus, your enhancement on your weapon, and any Power Attacking you do gets multiplied as well.

You can also Twin or Quicken it to double your output, or do both! That requires some pretty high level slots though.

You can also Sculpt it from a line into a burst, cone, or other shape if you want.

Do note that you can 2hand the weapon you WB, since its attacks are treated as melee attack. That means you get 2:1 PA and 1.5x str bonus, so its better to have a higher Str than Int or Cha, depending on your casting stat.

Really fun, try this:
Goliath Barb2/Fighter2/Duskblade2/SuelArcanamach4/AbjChamp5/Spellsword1/DragonDisc3-4 (depending on LA buyoff).

Get the Dungeoncrasher ACF from Dungeonscape and take the Knockback feat from Races of Stone. Now you can Whirling Blade someone across the room and throw them back into a wall from a distance. This is epicly hillarious and make your DM go HUH?

see i wasn't sure about the whole str vs char/int cuz . the thing about sytr is its easy to boost with a caster(fist of stone).

Whats the mini guide under i can't seem to find it.

TheStillWind
2009-08-16, 09:05 PM
Anyone know a way a beguiler can get Whirling blade. I can only think of one way a custom domain with the feat arcane disciple.

RTGoodman
2009-08-16, 09:09 PM
With a little DM leniency I think you should be able to get it. There's an Alternate Class Feature for (I believe) Warmages in PHB2 called "Eclectic Learning" (replaces Advanced Learning) that lets them learn ANY spell, but if it's not one from one of the schools they focus in, it takes up a higher level spell slot. You might be able to get a DM to let you pick up Eclectic Learning as a Beguiler instead of Advanced Learning, and depending on spell level you should be able to get whirling blade at some point.

Myrmex
2009-08-16, 09:21 PM
Anyone know a way a beguiler can get Whirling blade. I can only think of one way a custom domain with the feat arcane disciple.

A domain with Anyspell in it would do it. I think the Spell domain (PGtF & SpC) has it.

TheStillWind
2009-08-16, 09:48 PM
The reason I'm asking is because I plan on building a warblade beguiler gish. Whirling Blade is just awesome flavor wise. The intelligence synergizes well and it will be interesting to play.