PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Illusion questions

OverdrivePrime
2009-08-16, 05:24 PM
Hey all, I've been looking at creating a Shadowcraft beguiler for a tabletop game coming up, and before I do I want to get a few concepts about the Shadow Illusions down.

As I understand it, true seeing does not counteract shadow illusions as they are actually real. Is that correct? Are there any other glaringly obvious ways to shut down a shadowcraft mage's shadow illusions?

How does the >100% reality deal work? Does that only affect someone who makes their saving throw vs the shadow illusion (which would be weird, but it seems to be how it's written) or does the enhanced reality affect everyone who interacts with the >100% shadow illusion?

sofawall
2009-08-16, 05:34 PM
>100% makes it so you get hurt more if you make the save than if you don't.

Keld Denar
2009-08-16, 05:46 PM
Even if you can see through a shadow (True Seeing exposes them as quasi-real) they are still made of elemental shadow stuff, which is very real. If you looked at a creature conjoured by a Shadow Illusion Shadow Conjouration with True Seeing, it would look kinda faded or washed out, but if it attacked you, it would still hurt. It wouldn't hurt you as much as it would if you believed it (I guess some of the damage is psychological? Shadow spells aren't [Mind Affecting] though...).

As far as >100% reality, generally how its ruled is that when something is more real than reality, its more vivid, more dense, more intense, in every way. A summoned creature that was 120% real would have 20% more HP, and if it hit you again, its attacks would deal 20% more damage.

That said, a DM would be prefectly resonable in imposing a cap of 100% quasi-reality on any effect. There really aren't any rules on how to handle something that is more real than reality...

Jack_Simth
2009-08-16, 05:47 PM
Hey all, I've been looking at creating a Shadowcraft beguiler for a tabletop game coming up, and before I do I want to get a few concepts about the Shadow Illusions down.

Do note that the Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation line of spells have a lot of funny cases, and are not particularly well-defined for some of the things they do, so you'll get different responses from different DM's on how they work - which means you'll need to check with your DM.

As I understand it, true seeing does not counteract shadow illusions as they are actually real. Is that correct?
Partially. True Seeing reveals them for what they really are - shadow-stuff surrounded by illusion. AKA, they auto-pass the Will save, but still need to deal with the rest.

Are there any other glaringly obvious ways to shut down a shadowcraft mage's shadow illusions?
Spell Resistance and Magic Immunity will hurt a bit more than normal (as the Shadow Evocation/Conjuration line of spells permit SR even if the original doesn't), but otherwise it's no worse than a normal mage.

How does the >100% reality deal work? Does that only affect someone who makes their saving throw vs the shadow illusion (which would be weird, but it seems to be how it's written) or does the enhanced reality affect everyone who interacts with the >100% shadow illusion?
As written? It's the first - someone who knows the illusion for what it is gets the short end of the stick... although when duplicating a summon, it is partially the second, as the HP of a duplicated Summon effect are based on the % reality, save or no save.

OverdrivePrime
2009-08-16, 05:55 PM
Fantastic. Thanks very much for lending your brains, guys. That clears up quite a lot! http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/mwellenstein/Win/horns.gif

PId6
2009-08-16, 05:57 PM
So having >100% reality would punish someone for using True Seeing then?

Keld Denar
2009-08-16, 05:59 PM
That'll teach those demons and devils not to leer at people in that funny way. Shame on them!

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-16, 06:49 PM
For some reason, this thread makes me want to pull a quote from The Matrix. :smallwink:

Darwin
2009-08-17, 02:38 AM
By using a combination of Heigten Metamagic and Earth Spell (RoS) you can essentially raise your Silent Image spell to a spell level higher than currently available to you, which in turn mean you can create Shadow Illusions up to your current available spell levels at an additional 10% reality.

On >100% reality we switched the effects around for failed and successful saves when the reality reached 100%, meaning that a successful save took 100%, and a failed save suffered the full effect.