PDA

View Full Version : Newb Question

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-08-16, 06:15 PM
How does sleep/trancing effect PC's?

sofawall
2009-08-16, 06:16 PM
They take a penalty to listen checks and cannot make spot checks.

I think.

Stupid 60 seconds per post... *grumble grumble*

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-16, 06:17 PM
The rules aren't very clear on this, but I usually go for fatigued without more than one night's sleep, if that's what you're asking?

Sanguine
2009-08-16, 06:17 PM
They take a penalty to listen checks and cannot make spot checks.

I think.

Stupid 60 seconds per post... *grumble grumble*

I don't believe they take those penalties while in trance.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-16, 06:31 PM
Sleeping imposes a -10 penalty on Listen checks. If you succeed on a Listen check while asleep, you wake up automatically. Logically, you cannot make a Spot check while asleep, but the rules are oddly silent on this. Considering the fact that it is possible to train your body to sleep with your eyes open, I'd say a skill trick in either Spot or Autohypnosis could allow you to make Spot checks while sleeping (and process what you see while asleep, Autohypnosis only). It's reasonable to assume that a normal person is effectively blind while asleep.

Trancing imposes none of these restrictions. An Elf can trance and keep watch at the same time.

Warforged and Undead need no sleep. Outsiders do not have to, but can if they want to. Such outsiders are usually very light sleepers.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-16, 06:36 PM
Logically, you cannot make a Spot check while asleep, but the rules are oddly silent on this.
What's the penalty for sleeping with one eye open?

Glass Mouse
2009-08-16, 06:45 PM
Half penalty, half fatigue when you wake? :smallconfused:

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-16, 06:52 PM
What's the penalty for sleeping with one eye open?

Doesn't say, but I'd create a skill trick to allow the players the option of keeping watch while asleep at no penalty.

Mordokai
2009-08-16, 07:07 PM
Warforged and Undead need no sleep. Outsiders do not have to, but can if they want to. Such outsiders are usually very light sleepers.

Brings back fond memories of my warforged barbarian... of course, with an WIS of 8, his Spot/Listen was nothing to speak about, but damn, the rest of the party could sleep soundly. Apart from the barbarian making his Craft(Gemcutting) check everynight.

It became a running joke that we have an emo barbarian in the group, seeing he's cutting himself :smallbiggrin: And the first thing the rest of the party did in the morning was making a Spot check to see if the barbarian is any smaller than the night before :smalltongue:

Sorry for off topic, nostalgia hit hard :smallsmile:

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-08-16, 10:34 PM
A few Qs...*
How does sleep deprivation effect PC's?
Can sleep heal wounds?
How does trance deprivation effect elven PC's?

Faleldir
2009-08-16, 11:09 PM
1. It doesn't. You only need to rest for 8 hours to regain spell slots and power points.
2. Sleeping heals HP equal to your HD. Some races are unable to heal naturally.
3. It's exactly like sleep, but better in every way, because they're elves. It says so in Races Of The Wild, between "elves are immune to helmet hair" and "elven-made magic items go up to +11".

Serpentine
2009-08-16, 11:48 PM
I thought there was a rule that characters who go without sleep are fatigued? At least, that's what I thought was implied (at the least) by things like the spell Nightmare and rules about sleeping in armour...

On the healing, I houserule that characters regain their HD + their Con mod overnight.