PDA

View Full Version : Terrain help

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-08-16, 10:41 PM
I'm creating a mapmaking system for myself through which I can project the advancement of a civilization for a campaign I'm making.

What I need is a bunch of types of terrain to work with. I'm going to categorize them into a list of good, neutral, and bad terrain, according to how useful they would be to civilization.

For example, fertile land would provide way to create sustainable food so it would be good, mountains would be neutral due to it restricting movement and altering rain patterns, but they have plenty of ore and easily defendible. Swamps are bad because they have horrible soil and spread disease.

Good terrain is used for advancing civs and have costs of higher than the neutral cost of 1, neutral ground is mostly filler with a base cost of 1 meaning it there's no penalty for placing neutral ground, and finally bad terrain is used to offset the cost of good terrain so they have a negative score.

What I need are types of terrain to fill up the list.

jmbrown
2009-08-16, 10:48 PM
This page might be your friend. (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/wildernessWeatherEnvironment.htm)

Weather also affects civilization growth. Most cities build faster in temperate areas than desert or tundra.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-08-16, 11:00 PM
I'm debating whether proximity to other civs would detrimental or beneficial