PDA

View Full Version : Keychain of Creation 2:The Most Sagacious Thread Evading Over Nine Thousand Autolocks

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-17, 05:39 AM
Well here we are. 9 months later we become a multi-thread web comic!

High fives and 1 point of temporary willpower all round!

Old thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63555) Comic is here. (http://keychain.patternspider.net/) Comic's first page is here. (http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0001.html)

The title uses the numeral 2, rather than II in order to get all the name in. This is also why there is no space between 2 and :. Sorry but thats the way it goes!

So, Flame, Misho, Fire, City, Keys, Army, GO!

lord_khaine
2009-08-17, 06:26 AM
Woot, first page!

also, gratulations people, we are the 3rd thread to reach multi-thread status, following great works of art like Dominic Deegan and Girl genius.

Jerthanis
2009-08-17, 06:42 AM
Mostly we've gone multi-thread because we keep talking about Exalted mechanics that are only tangentially related to what goes on in the comic.

I'm not complaining though.

Well, the 2 options scenarios can be made interesting if the Hero finds a creative 3rd choice, that doesnt just rely on raw power.

It's true, and in fact, a hero being forced to choose to give X up or allow Y to be destroyed almost necessitates SOME Z element to enter the story. I was just stating that Misho pulling out the anti-Creature of Darkness Nuclear Bomb would be about as dynamic as if the very next page had Marena show up and say, "Ignore him Misho, Karen already killed his whole army, so we're all good!" Then have Misho reach over and tear off Flame's head barehanded.

Unless Misho becomes fatally stabbed in the process of casting the spell to save them all. Then maybe Blonde in the Bar Exalts on the spot with all of Misho's memories and none of her own... and now "Misho" has to reconcile having lost most of his power again, being in the body of the opposite sex, and having to leave behind people who love the person she used to be to continue the quest to save the world, and feeling guilty even though he/she doesn't remember any of them anymore...

Okay, I wouldn't go with this insane plot thread because it'd be confusing as heck.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-17, 08:40 AM
also, gratulations people, we are the 3rd thread to reach multi-thread status, following great works of art like Dominic Deegan and Girl genius.So we join a club made of possibly the largest internet snark fest and largest internet plot fest.

SWEET!

Gez
2009-08-17, 10:22 AM
So we join a club made of possibly the largest internet snark fest and largest internet plot fest.

SWEET!

So, do you prefer a plark fest or a snot fest?

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-17, 10:45 AM
So, do you prefer a plark fest or a snot fest?

Not snot. Eww.

On to the comic. I really think that this might go one of two ways. Either Misho will Take A Third Option (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TakeAThirdOption) and avoid both handing over the key AND significant (although probably not any) loss of life, giving him a convincing win (must, not, attack, views, of, other, posters) OR he will be forced to suffer one or the other (or, because we all know how trustworthy flame is likely to be, BOTH), cue Misho Heroic BSOD (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeroicBSOD), possibly swinging back via Ax Crazy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AxCrazy) (please:smallbiggrin:) into the aformentioned convicing self victory. Either way there is potential from some very awesome imagry and art on the horizon if nothing else.

lord_khaine
2009-08-17, 12:00 PM
So we join a club made of possibly the largest internet shark fest and largest internet plot fest.

SWEET!

Think i fixed it for you there, though im not sure how you spot the difference.

That aside, someone mentioned that Misho's limit break might be interesting, something about rage of compassion, what exatly does this do?

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-17, 01:01 PM
Ah yes, the Red Rage of Compassion.

Points are gained when people suffer and you are incapable of helping them (I think) as well as the general limit scenairos of throwing off mental influance and virtue suppressing of course. When your limit breaks something inside you snaps. You have seen all the suffering, all the anguish, all the pain that you are willing to see. It is time that the people dealing it out where taught a lesson.

During the Red Rage of Compassion you basicly have to attack, with whatever you allready have in your hands and without anything as fancy as strategy or defense, the nearest cause of suffering and anything that gets in your way.

And whoever gets in your way.

With much hurting.

And beating.

And screaming.

If you can't hurt anyone you break stuff. If you can't creak stuff you look for stuff to break. Lasts one scene, ie untill the combat you are in is over. And if you where not in combat at the begining but rather watching a servant being mistreated at the grand ball, well, you are in combat now boyo.

(This must have happened a LOT in the First Age...)

Role playing coming out of Red Rage is often ocomplished with a My God What Have I Done (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MyGodWhatHaveIDone) moment and (sometimes if you have a nasty enough Storyteller) a point of limit caused by the limit break itself

lord_khaine
2009-08-17, 04:37 PM
well, now i do have a funny mental image of Flame running around screaming with Misho on his back, trying to bite off his face.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-17, 04:42 PM
The other cannon compassion limits are not as awesome. Am away from books ATM but I know one makes you sit there an cry, ignoring everything around you. I think the other forces you to interpose yourself between danger and people, but that might be Valor.

Of course Mr Misho-pants probably has a custom Limit.

No idea why I said Mr Misho-pants.

Porthos
2009-08-17, 04:58 PM
Woot, first page!

also, gratulations people, we are the 3rd thread to reach multi-thread status, following great works of art like Dominic Deegan and Girl genius.

<nitpicky>
The Goblins thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119947) beat out this thread by a couple of weeks.
</nitpicky>

Still a hell of an accomplishment thou. :smallsmile:

lord_khaine
2009-08-17, 05:12 PM
hmm, yeah how annoying, and also a bit strange, i usualy dont remember seing the gobling thread in the top.

Yuki Akuma
2009-08-18, 04:32 AM
The other cannon compassion limits are not as awesome. Am away from books ATM but I know one makes you sit there an cry, ignoring everything around you. I think the other forces you to interpose yourself between danger and people, but that might be Valor.

Of course Mr Misho-pants probably has a custom Limit.

No idea why I said Mr Misho-pants.

Cannon Compassion Limit sounds like some sort of special attack, probably owned by a magical girl.

(Hint: "Canon". A cannon is a very large gun.)

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-18, 04:40 AM
Cannon Compassion Limit sounds like some sort of special attack, probably owned by a magical girl.

Sounds like something your Sidereal would do, really.

Gez
2009-08-18, 05:03 AM
If she's feeling compassion for cannons, she must be some gun-nerd wrench wench. "Hey! Cut down on the refire rate! Can't you see the poor li'l guys are overheating? And the rifling lands are all worn down on that one, you heartless bastard! I'm calling PETA* right now!"

* "People for Ethical Treatment of Armaments"

The Demented One
2009-08-18, 09:55 AM
If she's feeling compassion for cannons, she must be some gun-nerd wrench wench. "Hey! Cut down on the refire rate! Can't you see the poor li'l guys are overheating? And the rifling lands are all worn down on that one, you heartless bastard! I'm calling PETA* right now!"

* "People for Ethical Treatment of Armaments"
...is it bad that I actually made a Limit Break (http://lore5.patternspider.net/article/show/45) to do that?

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-18, 11:09 AM
...is it bad that I actually made a Limit Break (http://lore5.patternspider.net/article/show/45) to do that?No good sir. It is awesome. It may be strange, but that is KEY to good exaleted work.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-08-21, 01:55 AM
Man, I really hope Misho spends the willpower to ignore his Compassion right now. Flame may be telling the truth about the short-term, but Falafel can't have anything good planned for using the Key.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-21, 02:06 AM
Table Fu.

That is all.

lord_khaine
2009-08-21, 02:34 AM
Hmm, im starting to think that Misho might not get out of this with the Key after all.
Also, it sounds like FaFl know Misho pretty well?

Justyn
2009-08-21, 02:49 AM
Also, it sounds like FaFl know Misho pretty well?

Well, the Lion was a First Age Solar, so he might have known Misho's reputation, maybe about as much as Misho knew about, say, Desus'.

Anyway, Misho has Investigation charms. How spread thin is this guy!?

lesser_minion
2009-08-21, 04:02 AM
I think I'm hoping to see Secret do something cool about now.

I'd guess that Misho is on the verge of having to choose between a Limit Break and giving up the key, which might not be great either way. Unless he rolls 5 failures out of 5 or convinces the ST that it's enough of a moral dilemma that he shouldn't have a problem.

Revlid
2009-08-21, 06:31 AM
Oh, now that right there, that is effective goddamn villainy. That is why Flame is a good villain - he understands that the hardest choices are not the false ones, the Catch-22s, the "heads I win tails you lose" offers, but those that are very real.

Raz_Fox
2009-08-21, 07:35 AM
Table Fu.

That is all.

And the prize for silent badassery goes to Ten Winds. Seriously, that was the most awesome part of the strip.

And yes, I too hope Secret will get to do something cool now.

Drakyn
2009-08-21, 09:55 AM
Oh, now that right there, that is effective goddamn villainy. That is why Flame is a good villain - he understands that the hardest choices are not the false ones, the Catch-22s, the "heads I win tails you lose" offers, but those that are very real.

That, and so far he hasn't done anything jerk-ish for no good reason. Just because you're doing something horrible or causing something horrifying doesn't mean you have to be constantly going "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA PUPPYSTEW MMMMM TASTES GOOD TASTES GOOD" while you do it.

EDIT:
And the prize for silent badassery goes to Ten Winds. Seriously, that was the most awesome part of the strip.

And yes, I too hope Secret will get to do something cool now.
Seconded and seconded.

Revlid
2009-08-21, 02:36 PM
That, and so far he hasn't done anything jerk-ish for no good reason. Just because you're doing something horrible or causing something horrifying doesn't mean you have to be constantly going "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA PUPPYSTEW MMMMM TASTES GOOD TASTES GOOD" while you do it.

True. Even his destruction of Mew Cai was an accident based off frustration rather than sadism. He seems professional in his evil, which is fitting in his role as the emotionally involved Misho's opposite. Ben seems more mercurial and flamboyant, but we've yet to see really casual/petty evil from either of them.

Of the two, I'd probably peg Ben as the one most likely to perform nastiness for no good reason, but would note that Flame's definition of "good reason" is incredibly broad.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-21, 03:03 PM

You're forgetting something.

Not once does Flame specify that he won't come back.

Revlid
2009-08-22, 05:34 AM
You're forgetting something.

Not once does Flame specify that he won't come back.
Why would he bother? It's some no-name town in the middle of Nowhereshire, and if Misho went through with the deal, Flame, Ben and the band would have one of the most vital artifacts on the face of Creation in their hands, ready to give to a very grateful, incredibly powerful boss.

After which they'd be sent after the next key, presumably. The only reason to go back there would be spite, which frankly doesn't really fit either of them - Ben's too fun-loving (note that he has a somewhat different definition of fun than most sane people) and Flame's too business-like.

The only reason they'd go after the party any more is to get Secret's Exaltation and Misho's knowledge. And that's not exactly on the same level as control over Creation.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-23, 12:09 AM
Why would he bother? It's some no-name town in the middle of Nowhereshire, and if Misho went through with the deal, Flame, Ben and the band would have one of the most vital artifacts on the face of Creation in their hands, ready to give to a very grateful, incredibly powerful boss.

Because he's an Abyssal. Unlike Secret, he embraces what he is. Flame, like Ben, is fate-damned and driven to bring all of Creation to death. Why wouldn't he send his zombies back to wipe out the mortals? He loses nothing, slows down the Exalts as they try to save the mortals and gets to strike a small blow against Creation. On top of that, Flame and Ben can probably travel faster alone than with a big mob of zombies following them.

I'm not saying he'd go back in a day, or even a week. No, I'm saying he sends his army back the very minute they're out of town. He kept his end of the bargain, he left. Not once, however, is he required to stay out.

lord_khaine
2009-08-23, 02:36 AM
Well, the first and biggest problem would be that he has then forever shown that he can not be trustet, for a just about insignificant gain in slowing Misho down.

The second is how exactly Misho's gift of detecting lies work, for that thing would be cutting it awfully close to be a outright lie, and might even be caught by someone who is good at reading people.

All in all, he risks the chance of getting his hand on a key, for the opportunity to make a puppie smothie, i belive Flame is smarter than that.

Jerthanis
2009-08-23, 05:26 AM
Because he's an Abyssal. Unlike Secret, he embraces what he is. Flame, like Ben, is fate-damned and driven to bring all of Creation to death. Why wouldn't he send his zombies back to wipe out the mortals? He loses nothing, slows down the Exalts as they try to save the mortals and gets to strike a small blow against Creation. On top of that, Flame and Ben can probably travel faster alone than with a big mob of zombies following them.

I'm not saying he'd go back in a day, or even a week. No, I'm saying he sends his army back the very minute they're out of town. He kept his end of the bargain, he left. Not once, however, is he required to stay out.

Judge's Ear Technique detects half truths, and "I will leave this city unharmed..." (...but I do plan to come back and destroy it) is a pretty blatant half-truth. He's trying to convince Misho to hand over an artifact upon which the fate of all Creation turns, the ability to tell the absolute truth and have Misho know it is the absolute truth is a much more potent weapon than "Heheh, I tricked him! Petty, pointless destruction YAY!" could be.

Also, I have a theory that as Misho experiences moments of his past life, he gains the charms he had then, or at least gains access to them temporarily. It seems like Judge's Ear Technique would've been really useful in a couple of his past encounters, and he didn't use it then. He didn't even use it until Flame reminded him he could.

Just a thought.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-23, 06:40 AM
That would explain "the everything awesome I can think of" character profile that Misho seems to have, great for showcasing Solars and it seems to work but, I dunno, is this the right way to do it?

horngeek
2009-08-23, 08:21 AM
Also, I have a theory that as Misho experiences moments of his past life, he gains the charms he had then, or at least gains access to them temporarily. It seems like Judge's Ear Technique would've been really useful in a couple of his past encounters, and he didn't use it then. He didn't even use it until Flame reminded him he could.

Just a thought.

That wouldn't work whithin the rules, technically. Past Lives Merit only gives you bonuses.

Of course, the author has stated that Ben's custom charm probably wouldn't work in game either, so that means nothing.

Rockphed
2009-08-23, 09:38 PM
That wouldn't work whithin the rules, technically. Past Lives Merit only gives you bonuses.

Of course, the author has stated that Ben's custom charm probably wouldn't work in game either, so that means nothing.

How does gaining experience in exalted work? This could be thrice radiant Misho's method of fluffing his gaining of new abilities from experience.

Kyeudo
2009-08-23, 10:26 PM
In Exalted, you get XP for just showing up to a session and for completing in-story goals and stunting well. Basically, your character gets better for you being a good, concientious player.

This also avoids the problem that D&D has, where players think they need to kill it to get anything.

horngeek
2009-08-23, 11:03 PM
Exactly. It doesn't matter what you kill, basically.

It's whether you describe the combat well, or anything for that matter. You can have a Stunt for public speaking.

In fact, Exalted's style is more a matter of "this is not competitive, this is cooperative", where D&D does tend to lend itself more to the "competitive" style.

horngeek
2009-08-24, 01:05 AM
And now we know what Misho's Virtue Curse is!

Heart of Tears!

lord_khaine
2009-08-24, 02:27 AM
In fact, Exalted's style is more a matter of "this is not competitive, this is cooperative", where D&D does tend to lend itself more to the "competitive" style.

This statement is about as wrong as it can get, D&D is the cooperative game, where everyone have to work together, or risk a total party kill.

horngeek
2009-08-24, 02:30 AM
I meant between the ST and the players/DM and the players.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-24, 04:14 AM
Looks like it could well be heart of tears. If it is Flame can just walk over and take the key. He could probably stab Misho while he is sitting there too.

I so wanted Red Rage.

horngeek
2009-08-24, 04:20 AM
I so wanted Red Rage.

I think we all did.

I think the enchantments on Eternal Dawn might work so that Misho actually has to give the Key to Flame.

Of course, Flame also has a spell that can just break the connection. Weak.

lord_khaine
2009-08-24, 04:34 AM
I like it, it was a nice surprise, and defently not something Flame saw comming :)

I think the enchantments on Eternal Dawn might work so that Misho actually has to give the Key to Flame.

Of course, Flame also has a spell that can just break the connection. Weak.

Yeah, in one of the first comics Misho said something about the key being bound to him, and i personaly dont see anything weak with Flame having a spell that can break that connection, since it was introduced about the same time as when we were told of the bond.

horngeek
2009-08-24, 04:47 AM
I suppose...

I mean, Flame will probably take time to shape the spell.

Next thing? "JUSTICE!"

Weimann
2009-08-24, 04:54 AM
Yeah, that can't be what he was expecting :P

Also, have I said how much I love the rendition of the fire? It looks awesome.

lord_khaine
2009-08-24, 05:36 AM
I suppose...

I mean, Flame will probably take time to shape the spell.

Next thing? "JUSTICE!"

It could be the spell is less of a spell, and more of a ritual that takes several days to complete.

In that case Flame would either have to wait until Misho is done crying, or else kidnap him again, im sure neither option will make Flame's unlife any easyer.

horngeek
2009-08-24, 05:39 AM
Remember: Flame is still technically living.

But any way, this will take time. Precious time, which once lost, cannot be regained.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-24, 06:41 AM
Remember: Flame is still technically living.

What Abyssals are is a very odd question. There is a nominal spectrum in fantasy that runs thus:

Alive - Dead - Undead

Abyssals do not actually sit on that line. In the Exalted universe living things are of Creation and have normal essence. Undead things are of the Underworld and have necrotic essence. Abyssals are not dead, but have necrotic essence. They are half way between alive and undead and are the only Exalted I am aware of (alchemicals unknown) to be truly immortal.

Yuki Akuma
2009-08-24, 06:49 AM
The thing with Abyssals is that they sort-of died, and then came back to life. Which should be impossible in Creation, but that's an Exaltation for you.

Also, if you'll remember how Misho reacted when he found out Secret killed a bunch of bandits in the very earliest strips... this Limit Break definitely fits him.

Kyeudo
2009-08-24, 08:11 AM
Hopefully in the next comic, Flame tries to take the keyblade and Misho pulls himself together enough to fight. Limit Break can be partially controlled, after all.

Aquillion
2009-08-24, 09:33 AM
No, Abyssals are definitely and completely alive. They do not actually die when they accept the Abyssal Exaltation -- it saves them on the brink of death (although they will very often talk in flowery terms about it as 'dying', which confuses a lot of people, the mechanics are extremely clear on this.)

They respire the essence of death, but are considered to be alive for the purposes of everything that cares about them being alive, unless it states otherwise.

Kyeudo
2009-08-24, 01:08 PM
There's even a Void Circle Necromancy that can put mortals in the same "I'm a creature of death but I still breathe" state permanently. Can't remember the name, but its a variant on one of the spells printed in the MoEP: Infernals.

TheArchivist
2009-08-24, 08:23 PM
Way to go Flame. You made Misho cry. I hope you’re happy you big bully.

Looks like Misho is going to need a save from his companions unless he goes straight from his current condition into another Limit Break. Maybe not technically by the rules, but story seems to break rules when necessary in this webcomic. Seems like quite a bit of this world could be house rules country (http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0118.html).

Kyeudo
2009-08-24, 11:10 PM
Misho could still get up and fight. He has to fight back an ancient curse laid upon the Exalted by the murdered creators of the world, but it is within his power to fight back the tears and kick Flame's trash.

Felius
2009-08-25, 08:22 AM
What partial control for heart of tears was again?

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-25, 11:02 AM
Heart of Tears partial control:

The character takes no initative and constantly weeps, but he can defend normally and does not need to flee combat. However, he attacks at a two-dice penalty and cannot use social or mental abilities or charms. He can only react to immedate circumstances, not plan or initate complex actions.

danelsan
2009-08-25, 05:54 PM
Man, I've never taken Heart of Tears for a PC! Its good for drama, but is in my opinion among the most troublesome ones in combat...

Anyway, I'm really glad the story took a quite different turn from the "Misho gets punked by ghosts and necro-whatever with the help of abusive Abyssal Charms" that I was seeing a few strips back ^_^
But he better control his Limit Break, or Flame could easily kill him :smalleek:

On the other hand, I'd really love to see Flame getting a "JUSTICE! :smallfurious:" facekick while casting his spell to break Misho's attunement to the Keychain, but Ten seems more interested in meeting that sidereal than investigating some annoying undead outbreak...

In regards to "Misho has Charms for a dozen abilities, plus Sorcery", I too had considered the perfect memory bringing back Charms from the past incarnation (that is, assuming he is not actually the same Misho or some weirder situation) as a likely (if not quite reasonable to expect in a gaming table) explanation. Only time will tell, though

Felius
2009-08-25, 09:36 PM
Heart of Tears partial control:

The character takes no initative and constantly weeps, but he can defend normally and does not need to flee combat. However, he attacks at a two-dice penalty and cannot use social or mental abilities or charms. He can only react to immedate circumstances, not plan or initate complex actions.

Interesting. This means he isn't completely debilitated by the break. Although flame could do whatever he wanted if not attacked misho himself, to acquire the keys, his whole objective right now, he would have to. And if he does, Misho can keep fighting him with a very minor penalty.

horngeek
2009-08-25, 10:03 PM
Actually, now that the Sidereal's been mentioned...

I think she'll be the one to save Misho's ass.

Aquillion
2009-08-26, 06:49 AM
Interesting. This means he isn't completely debilitated by the break. Although flame could do whatever he wanted if not attacked misho himself, to acquire the keys, his whole objective right now, he would have to. And if he does, Misho can keep fighting him with a very minor penalty.Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Read it again. Not the part about combos, the part about social and mental abilities and charms.

If Flame makes another social attack now to demand the key (or anything else for that matter), and backs it up with Charms, Misho can't use charms to defend against it. At all.

Heart of Tears may be one of the worst Solar limit flaws for physical combat, but it is the worst one for Social combat -- even controlled, it effectively leaves you at the mercy of anyone with any effective Social charms, unless you instantly run away (and it's not even clear that it allows you to do that.)

Now compare it to Heart of Flint. Geez.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-28, 12:34 AM
And then there's a Dragon Blood out of left field.

horngeek
2009-08-28, 12:42 AM
That's... not a Dragon-Blood.

That's a Sidereal.

Guancyto
2009-08-28, 01:21 AM
That's no moon Exalt.

It's a space Exalt!

(oh fine, Mars Exalt. Whatever)

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-28, 02:35 AM
PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal
PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal PleaseMakeTenNotASidreal
Very awesome, very well timed. Only slightly damaged by slightly heavier than was strictly nessiscary foreshadowing.

lord_khaine
2009-08-28, 03:23 AM
hmm? i must admit i had not seen this comming.

That the mysterious sideral would be trying to take the other keys came as quite a surprise.

Weimann
2009-08-28, 04:15 AM
Yeah! You hear that? You both FAIL!

I like this chick.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-28, 06:37 AM
That the mysterious sideral would be trying to take the other keys came as quite a surprise.Wha? Her monologue was to the effect that no one else is strong enough to look after the keys (other than people too strong to trust). OF COURSE she is going to be going key hunting.

lord_khaine
2009-08-28, 06:39 AM
well, she was only talking about her own key there, its a huge leap from making sure your own key is safe, to start hunting the other ones down as well and see if you can take them.

RedScholarGypsy
2009-08-28, 06:41 AM
So, an Abyssal with at most 5 years of albeit intense training, or a millennia old Sidereal?

No bets on who wins, but any on how badly Flame gets whooped? Or what body part(s) he'll lose this time?

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-28, 06:41 AM
Well you have to factor in the Sidereal bouts of bond villain mentality and the specific "conflict good" type of meglomania that Chosen of Mars can end up in.

@V I have enough difficulty with real words.

Raz_Fox
2009-08-28, 06:59 AM
I'm an evil person to have giggled when Flame threw a rock at Misho's head. Evil evil evil.

Also, I agree with everything EvilDMMK3 said. Other than that "Sidereal" is spelled with two "e"s. :smallwink:

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-28, 07:34 AM
@V I have enough difficulty with real words.

Sidereal is a real word. It means "related to distant stars".

The Demented One
2009-08-28, 07:53 AM
Actually, now that the Sidereal's been mentioned...

I think she'll be the one to save Misho's ass.
Nicely called. Although, perhaps not about the ass-saving.

horngeek
2009-08-28, 07:56 AM
Nicely called. Although, perhaps not about the ass-saving.

Thank you. I do try.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-28, 09:14 AM
Nicely called. Although, perhaps not about the ass-saving.The ass was saved, it was just not done so to nicely.

Drakyn
2009-08-28, 09:48 AM
Also, Flame continues to be the least ****-ish villain in history.
"You're totally helpless. I will take your item and fulfill my end of an admittedly coerced bargain that I don't even need to bother with. No, I will not stab you."

Aquillion
2009-08-28, 12:04 PM
Does NOBODY have any surprise-negation charms in this comic? :smalltongue:

(Also, strictly speaking holding a sword at an Exalt's throat isn't actually a huge threat to them.)

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-28, 12:49 PM

That means spending ability dots on Awareness, though. Why would anyone in their right mind do that?

Yuki Akuma
2009-08-28, 12:54 PM

(Also, strictly speaking holding a sword at an Exalt's throat isn't actually a huge threat to them.)

That's not a sword. That's a Keyblade.

Kyeudo
2009-08-28, 01:00 PM
That's not a sword. That's a Keyblade.

Not just any keyblade either. It's a Starmetal Keyblade. Those hurt.

This also reminds me of this:

caboose: yeh because the glowing sword really turned out to be a glowing key.
church: yeh a glowing key that can still stab people.
caboose: right
church:so this sword just happens to function as a key in very specific situations
caboose:or its a key all the time and when u stab it into people it unlocks there deaths.

Felius
2009-08-28, 08:40 PM
That means spending ability dots on Awareness, though. Why would anyone in their right mind do that?

If nothing else, for the eye of the unconquered sun. It's awesome!

On a side note, there is charm on dodge that would allow them to dodge unexpected attacks. I don't know if the present situation would be enough of an attack to trigger it though...

RedScholarGypsy
2009-08-28, 09:34 PM
Would dots in Awareness be worth it for the added dice for the Join Battle roll? Plus adding in an excellency, maybe getting a second attack in? I'm not too strong in Exalted strategy so I'm curious.

Kyeudo
2009-08-28, 11:38 PM
I know I keep wishing for more dice on my Join Battle roll. I couldn't fit any Awareness dots into my Abilities (combat monster with some passable social skills kind of strains the budget), so I'm just working off of a Perception of 3. My enemies seem to always roll 6 or 7 dice.

Justyn
2009-08-28, 11:48 PM
I know I keep wishing for more dice on my Join Battle roll. I couldn't fit any Awareness dots into my Abilities (combat monster with some passable social skills kind of strains the budget), so I'm just working off of a Perception of 3. My enemies seem to always roll 6 or 7 dice.

Psst: Awareness Excellencies add dice directly to Join Battle rolls

Kyeudo
2009-08-28, 11:51 PM
Psst: Awareness Excellencies add dice directly to Join Battle rolls

Psst: You need Awareness dots to get an Awareness Excellency.

Yuki Akuma
2009-08-29, 04:38 AM
Psst: You need Awareness dots to get an Awareness Excellency.

Psst: One dot of Awareness is not expensive.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-29, 06:27 AM
Psst: One dot of Awareness is not expensive.Psst: Ten winds often is.

Seriously though, Awareness is an awesome ability. I like being able to see people a mile off with enough resolution to count hairs. Plus, Supprise Anticipation Method.

I think the Dodge one makes the attack not-supprise.

Jerthanis
2009-08-29, 12:52 PM
Seriously though, Awareness is an awesome ability. I like being able to see people a mile off with enough resolution to count hairs. Plus, Supprise Anticipation Method.

Surprise Anticipation Method is my least favorite charm in the book, because it has a fiddly definition that makes it not actually work as well as it should (there are times when you're not even allowed a roll, you automatically fail those even with the charm). It is a charm that actively makes other charms worse at their jobs, reflexive defense charms like Adamant Skin, who don't fail against unexpected attacks normally now require being comboed in to work at all. Finally, a similar charm in another, less related ability has a charm that works better and with lower prerequisites. Reflex sidestep takes one attack that would be unexpected and makes it not unexpected, requires Dodge 3 instead of Awareness 5, and can be forgone if needed.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-29, 04:38 PM
Never used it myself (the only time I had either was with a Night Caste who started the game with the Combo Vigilant Sentenal Sleeps Awake, Reflex sidestep and Seven Shadow Evasion.) and I admit it was because it felt awkward. But some swear by it.

RedScholarGypsy
2009-08-30, 12:56 PM
On reading Surprise Anticipation Method, I think the easiest way to fix it is to make it a permanent charm, and have the 1m cost not be a use of a charm. May have to up the Essence prereq, but I think that'd solve most problems.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-30, 01:24 PM
That could work, but the essence pre requisit would need to go up as it means you no longer have to have a combo to use a defence charm.

Aquillion
2009-08-30, 04:14 PM
Just let the player choose whether SAM works or not. It's not hard to justify: The charm is magic. It's not particularly out-there to make it so it only activates for things that the character would think are worth activating it for. The player decides what the character would think is worth activating it for. Therefore, even though the character obviously doesn't make a conscious choice on a case-by-case basis, the player would still decide when SAM triggers (as long as it's a situation that meets its requirements, of course.)

I would also let it activate to negate anything that grants an unexpected attack with no roll to resist, mostly because just about every charm that does that is horribly broken and should be nerfed at every opportunity. The general guideline is pretty straightforward: The Solars are the experts at doing things perfectly. In general, if the Solar charmset lacks a basic perfection charm for some obvious human ability (like sneak-attacks), there's probably a reason for this.

lord_khaine
2009-08-31, 02:28 AM
Well, seems Misho is -1 Key now, i guess he really wasnt fit to guard it after all, since she was able to take it without him raising a hand.

Unless of course he has craftet a decoy Key?

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-31, 05:24 AM
Sigh.

Well at least we are Heroes 0 Villains 0 rather than Villains 1, but part of me is wondering the futility of this. I mean all this Chosen of Mars has to do is just stay in the Celesital City, maybe get the keys missfiled and lost so that they are unlocatable, I mean I have had a game where the Deathlords have invaded heaven, but I doubt they will pull that off in this comic somehow.

Jerthanis
2009-08-31, 05:41 AM
Sigh.

Well at least we are Heroes 0 Villains 0 rather than Villains 1, but part of me is wondering the futility of this. I mean all this Chosen of Mars has to do is just stay in the Celesital City, maybe get the keys missfiled and lost so that they are unlocatable, I mean I have had a game where the Deathlords have invaded heaven, but I doubt they will pull that off in this comic somehow.

Hey, I'm gonna chalk this up as a Heroes 1 Villains 0 if she actually manages an escape. There's been nothing to indicate that this Sidereal isn't a relatively altruistic entity who is in a better position to safeguard the keys anyway. She may not be a member of the group of heroes that the camera focuses on, but that doesn't mean her actions are automatically less valid heroic choices than those it does focus on.

lord_khaine
2009-08-31, 05:42 AM
well, maybe she is worried that just having some of the keys will be enough to let the FAFL start releasing some unholy trouble, in that case she will be forced to continue the race for the last keys, while keeping the keys on her, since she doesnt trust anyone else to guard them.

horngeek
2009-08-31, 05:44 AM
Or after this, they could have a team up.

lord_khaine
2009-08-31, 05:56 AM
Or after this, they could have a team up.

What, why?

Misho has clearly demonstratet that he cant guard the Keys, at least in the eyes of the Sideral, but on the other hand, i dont think Misho will accept the theft of the key without a fight, at least when he is done crying.

horngeek
2009-08-31, 05:58 AM
Except there's the "I'm doing this for your own good."

In addition, Ten knows the Sidereal (at least, that's been implied).

lord_khaine
2009-08-31, 06:13 AM
Except there's the "I'm doing this for your own good."

Well, thats just what she thinks, and actualy she said "im doing you a favor", if its today comic you are quoting.

And that also really dont change anything, unless Misho agree with her, and she gives him the Key back, i find both things unlikely to happen.

In addition, Ten knows the Sidereal (at least, that's been implied).

It has been implied that he knows off her, time will tell if he actualy know her as well.

horngeek
2009-08-31, 06:16 AM
Well, thats just what she thinks, and actualy she said "im doing you a favor", if its today comic you are quoting.

Pfft. Details. :smalltongue:

lord_khaine
2009-08-31, 06:22 AM
Pfft. Details.

We cant risk confusing new readers with incorrect quotes!

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-31, 08:10 AM
In addition this is a Sidereal. Even if she is typical Gold Faction her view of the future would be as follows:

Place Solars under own control.
Gloat.
Humiliate Bronze faction oponents.
Gloat some more.
Install your puppets in positions of rulership (remember they are law GIVERS not law MAKERS)
Gloat.
Gloat.
Get everyone to like Solars without realising you exist.
Everything gets better.
Then you can gloat.

Indon
2009-08-31, 08:50 AM
I only just now noticed, but it would seem our Sidereal's use of Duck Fate involved her leaping out of the comic frame into a frame with Misho in it.

Which is an awesome way to depict a sidereal charm.

Also, it looks like she's wielding the keyblade. She couldn't be attuned to it so quickly, could she?

Anyway, for reference, our Sidereal's monologue (http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0123.html), and her presumed name (http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0005.html): Faen Luif.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-31, 09:14 AM
No. No she can't. Unless there is a special rule in place, she is carrying a denser than solid gold chunk of metal.

Oh and "I'm doing you a favour" here seems to read as "This key is a burden and you are pathetic."

Yuki Akuma
2009-08-31, 10:54 AM
You don't need to attune to an artifact to wield it. Attuning just makes it a whole lot easier to wield.

She's a Sidereal, and a Chosen of Battles at that, so she could very well have the strength required to wield it without attuning.

Kyeudo
2009-08-31, 11:23 AM
There is at least one Dragon-Blooded noted as being strong enough to wield a Reaver Daiklave without attunement. A millenia-old Sidereal? Easily strong enough if she wanted to be.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-31, 11:28 AM
I never said she was not wielding, I just said that she was holding a denser-than-gold sword at full wieght.

Weimann
2009-08-31, 11:29 AM
I just noticed, those glasses really contrast with her character. She's certainly not your regular bookworm.

Misho is down one key. Not good at all.

I forget. Has the comic dictated that the Chain are the incarnations of the original team of Exalts who fought the God of Locks? If so, I wonder who the key that the Sidereal has belongs to.

Kyeudo
2009-08-31, 11:34 AM
I just noticed, those glasses really contrast with her character. She's certainly not your regular bookworm.

Misho is down one key. Not good at all.

I forget. Has the comic dictated that the Chain are the incarnations of the original team of Exalts who fought the God of Locks? If so, I wonder who the key that the Sidereal has belongs to.

There is a theory that she is the origional. Sidereals have almost the lifespan to pull it off in, if you fudge your dates. After all, Chejop Kejack has been running the show for almost 10,000 years.

Ten Winds is impossible to be a reincarnation, as Dragon-Blooded don't have Exaltations that reincarnate. He may, however, be a descendant, which in Exalted is pretty close to the same thing.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-31, 11:42 AM
The original Sidereal does look similar, but you might expect a more friendly attitude to one's old collige. Then again she could be Bronze caste (it would be more likely as Kneecap has not exactly gone out of his way to help or give safe missions to the original Gold caste members) and, if she is she will have very bad memories and very bad feelings towards Solars in general.

Mind you the Terrestrial looks like a Water caste, (although he is wielding a weapon made of teh Air aspected jade) so that makes it less likely (although far FAR from immpossible) that Ten is a decendant.

Kyeudo
2009-08-31, 11:51 AM
Dragon-Blooded Aspect genetics is strange. Most breed true, but you get throwbacks, side lines, and intermarriages that throw other aspects out. A Fire Aspect and a Wood Aspect could both be the children of an Air Aspect.

Rad
2009-08-31, 12:06 PM
There is a theory that she is the origional. Sidereals have almost the lifespan to pull it off in, if you fudge your dates. After all, Chejop Kejack has been running the show for almost 10,000 years.
The monologue, whose link was so kindly posted, seems to imply that she has been protecting the key for only about 1000 years.

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-31, 12:31 PM

5000 years. First Age itself lasted only 5000 years or so and Kejak was born rather late in it, aged only about three and a half millennia at the time of the Usurpation.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-31, 01:25 PM
The monologue, whose link was so kindly posted, seems to imply that she has been protecting the key for only about 1000 years.She first says that accuracy is not important, and then says that it is well over 1000 years. This could be 5000 or so years, if, you know, its a case of "all the years became a blur" (based on the comments in this thread about Kneecap's age that would be the very upper limit of Sidereal age seeing as they cannot extend their lives (although that is not mentioned anywhere I can find in the 2e Sidereal book)). The date matters not as Kneecap was born late 1st age and is nearly at his age limit and this Sidereal has to be older.

Hang on though. That would mean that no, this CANNOT be the original. The flashback of plotness (http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0005.html) seems to imply that it happened in the very early First Age, thus rendering it impossible for the Sidereal to have been alive then and still be alive now.

Unless, you know, the author has ignored that rather wierd and counter-intuative reasoning behind the Sidereal age limit.

Indon
2009-08-31, 01:34 PM
I'm inclined to think Faen has not reincarnated, or if she has, her current incarnation dates back to at least the first age. Those look like reading glasses, implying Faen might be aging, as Sidereals always exalt young, and thus close to the end of her lifespan.

I wonder what her faction could be. She's at the Threshold, which implies she could be Gold, but she seems dismissive of Misho, who is not only a Solar but the reincarnation (maybe) of a Solar who probably knew her quite well.

RedScholarGypsy
2009-08-31, 05:53 PM
My money's on her being Independent. If she was Bronze, she'd have killed Misho outright; and Gold doesn't feel right. As an Independent, she feels her duty as Starmetal Key Master is more important than any faction strife.

Well done depiction of Sidereal Charm. Also, where is the Band?

Raz_Fox
2009-08-31, 09:20 PM
Things Raz has noticed:

1. Jukashi used the "brit" spelling of favor/favour. A hint at Jukashi's nationality or an intentional hint towards the precise accent of the Chosen of Mars?
2. I don't have MoeP: Siddies yet, but that must be the coolest way of depicting their Fate-Dodging abilities ever made. Jumping out of the panel itself - genius, Jukashi, genius.
3. I have no idea why the most memorable thing about this Sidereal to me is her pants. Beautifully drawn poofy pants. Beats even the hearthstone circle. Paaaants.
4. ...Well, except for the Starmetal Key. Jukashi did some amazing work designing that key, and it shows.

...Can'twaitforFridaycan'twaitforFridaycan'twaitfo rFriday.

Justyn
2009-08-31, 11:11 PM
I'm inclined to think Faen has not reincarnated, or if she has, her current incarnation dates back to at least the first age.

Jukashi said that Faen Luif died during the Usurpation; she was killed by a Lunar. This person is the inheritor of Faen Luif's Exaltation.

Aquillion
2009-09-01, 02:15 AM
5000 years. First Age itself lasted only 5000 years or so and Kejak was born rather late in it, aged only about three and a half millennia at the time of the Usurpation.Also, DotFA states that Sidereals live 5000 years, and cannot extend their lives by any means. (This is, in fact, how most people calculate the date of the setting -- DotFA also says that Kejak was born, IIRC, 14 years after the Primordial War, and Kejak's life is nearly over, so the current year is roughly the year 5014. The Usurpation happened 3500 years after the Primordial War, the Shogunate lasted about 750 years, and the Scarlet Empress ruled for about 750 years.)

And Yu-Shan is not as safe a place to hide something as you might think. It has slums, and there are desperate gods just like desperate humans, vulnerable to bribery or subversion. Amoth City-Smasher is a god, after all. So is Rabszolga, the God of Slaves, who has a Monstice of the Celestial Portion in his private sanctum as a personal gift from the Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears. There may even be Sidereal Akuma (remember, nobody says the Deathlords are the only ones after the key) -- Infernals hints that one is at least compromised.

lesser_minion
2009-09-01, 05:53 AM
I never said she was not wielding, I just said that she was holding a denser-than-gold sword at full wieght.

From the 2nd edition rulebook, it looks like any Exalted wielding a daiklaive can get the "actually able to lift the thing" benefit, and being the right kind of Exalted (i.e. Solar wielding Orichalcum, Lunar wielding Moonsilver etc.) merely confers a few bonuses.

I'm assuming that the keys follow the same rules.

Also, Jukashi is Irish, IIRC.

Kyeudo
2009-09-01, 10:29 AM
Attunement to an artifact technically takes 20 minutes. She could attune the weapon later, but for now it can't RAW be attuned. Thus why it is superheavy.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-01, 10:48 AM
I don't think that was Duck Fate, incidentally - Flame is a being outside of Fate, so he'd notice if she used Avoidance Kata.

Avoidance Kata involves teleporting, after all, while Duck fate is simply a perfect dodge.

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-01, 11:01 AM
I don't think that was Duck Fate, incidentally - Flame is a being outside of Fate, so he'd notice if she used Avoidance Kata.

Avoidance Kata involves teleporting, after all, while Duck fate is simply a perfect dodge.

Flame is not really outside of Fate, unless he has Immortal Malevolence Enslavement. He exists in a weird state, where he still exists inside Fate but is a stranger to the Tapestry of Creation. So he can still be affected by Charms with the Fate keyword normally.

lesser_minion
2009-09-01, 12:21 PM
Attunement to an artifact technically takes 20 minutes. She could attune the weapon later, but for now it can't RAW be attuned. Thus why it is superheavy.

Annoyingly, I just found that passage.

That means that apparently she is perfectly happy wielding a nine kilogram sword as if it were a mundane weapon. That still isn't out of the reach of someone sufficiently strong.

Indon
2009-09-01, 12:41 PM
Jukashi said that Faen Luif died during the Usurpation; she was killed by a Lunar. This person is the inheritor of Faen Luif's Exaltation.

That makes the reading glasses kind of rare for a sidereal - they exalt young, and so tend to lack imperfections that associate more with age.

Though I guess they could be an artifact.

He did notice.

I guess I'm thinking of the first edition versions of the Sidereal dodge charms, since I think of Duck Fate as being an ability which causes the Sidereal to be somewhere else for a blow, and then rewrites fate so that this was the place where they were the entire time.

Flame noticed she moved, and clearly resisted the attempt of her Sidereal magic for this to seem 'correct' (probably due to being a Daybreak with associated abilities).

Alternately, maybe I'm just confusing Duck Fate with another charm.

Kyeudo
2009-09-01, 12:46 PM
Though I guess they could be an artifact.

More likely she took a Flaw. I believe Glasses is one of those from 1st edition. I don't have Scroll of Heroes to know if it got ported over.

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-01, 01:00 PM
More likely she took a Flaw. I believe Glasses is one of those from 1st edition. I don't have Scroll of Heroes to know if it got ported over.

There is the option of being myopic or hypermetropic in Scroll of Heroes, under Diminished Senses, which can be mitigated with glasses.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-02, 10:43 AM
He did notice.

I guess I'm thinking of the first edition versions of the Sidereal dodge charms, since I think of Duck Fate as being an ability which causes the Sidereal to be somewhere else for a blow, and then rewrites fate so that this was the place where they were the entire time.

Flame noticed she moved, and clearly resisted the attempt of her Sidereal magic for this to seem 'correct' (probably due to being a Daybreak with associated abilities).

Alternately, maybe I'm just confusing Duck Fate with another charm.

That's what Avoidance Kata does - it makes you retroactively have been somewhere else. It then sets up an Illusion effect to make people believe that you were never there. It technically lets you entirely avoid a conflict, but as she wanted the key...

Duck Fate isn't flavoured in any way like that - it's more like you avoid the strands of fate that let them attack you. The Sidereal perfect parry charm works similarly.

(And my mistake, he's not outside Fate, so he'd have to spend Willpower to realise she'd used Avoidance Kata.)

Either that or the artist is taking artistic liberties with Duck Fate. It's awesome in both ways anyway.

Kyeudo
2009-09-02, 11:41 AM
I've been meaning to ask, Yuki. Which Yozi owns your soul? :smallwink:

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-02, 04:20 PM
She Who Lives in Her Name, of course. Who else?

Kyeudo
2009-09-02, 10:30 PM
I've always been partial to Szozenry myself.

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-03, 02:46 AM
Bah. The Ebon Dragon's where it's at.

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-03, 08:27 AM
Aww... no love for Isidoros?

Kyeudo
2009-09-03, 10:09 AM
He's a godzilla-sized pig that flattens cities with his hooves. Just because he defines what strength is is no reason to love him. :smalltongue:

Now, Oramus, on the other hand, is really cool.

Jerthanis
2009-09-03, 11:27 AM
I've always thought Kimbery has style.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-09-03, 01:01 PM
There is one, and only one, Yozi worthy of respect. Don't even dare ask who it is, for you cannot concevably not know.

Kyeudo
2009-09-03, 02:14 PM
What, Malfeas? Malfeas kicks trash on the battlefield, but he just doesn't have the social flare that Cecelyne has.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-09-03, 02:44 PM
Lets see if anyone can guess my current exalted character...

small pumpkin m
2009-09-04, 01:32 AM
Am I the only one who gets the feeling Marena's clothing damage was entirely avoidable, but she went with it for the stunt bonus/posible later distraction bonus/because she just enjoys the look?

Also, heh, combine ^^.

Weimann
2009-09-04, 02:23 AM
Well, I'm not entirely sure. If she wanted such an advantage, she could just have torn it herself. I'm sure she doesn't mind, though, since her top seems to be staying up like usual anyway (*mutters* Damn it!), and she's known to not put a lot of score to such things.

The clothing damage implies she was hit by an extra, though, which further establishes her field of expertise. She's just social all the way ^^

lord_khaine
2009-09-04, 02:35 AM
So, what weird plan is Marena going to pull out of her rear end now?

lesser_minion
2009-09-04, 03:16 AM
I'm kind of curious as to what Marena and Secret are going to do myself.

Does anyone (apart from Jukashi) know? Or have we gone on another visit to houserules country?

Gez
2009-09-04, 04:17 AM
"It's time to COMBINE!"

I see only two possible outcomes.
1. They merge together into a Giant Mech-Zalted (bwahahah what a lame pun)
2. They summon forth aliens from Xen to enslave all the zombies.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-09-04, 05:50 AM
If this results in a human tower, I am going to scream.

With laughter.

More so if it works.

lord_khaine
2009-09-04, 06:08 AM
I will bet its going to be something along of Marena transforming into some giant monster, maybe with wings, and Secret then jumps on top of her, and turn the Bow into a Lance.

lesser_minion
2009-09-04, 07:00 AM
I will bet its going to be something along of Marena transforming into some giant monster, maybe with wings, and Secret then jumps on top of her, and turn the Bow into a Lance.

Well, apparently this is something that Secret and Marena have done before. My first instinct was some sort of strange Dragonball-Z-esque thing resulting in "Serena" or "Marecret", although I'm not sure that Secret would have gone through with that before. It also seems a little obvious, and I'm not sure whether or not it ever happens in game.

Could be pretty awesome, however - Essence 10 monsters for the win.

EDIT: And actually, it's something even better.

horngeek
2009-09-04, 07:04 AM

Or this, but with War Form.

Really, it could be anything, especially if it is house rules.

lord_khaine
2009-09-04, 07:10 AM
As i recall, Marena can turn into any beast she has drunk the blood off, isnt there plenty of nasty critters in the Exaltet world?

Kyeudo
2009-09-04, 08:18 AM
The Sorcery allowing you to gattai Exalted is Solar Circle and doesn't work with tattooed Lunars, so it can't be that.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-04, 08:54 AM
2. They summon forth aliens from Xen to enslave all the zombies.

<nitpick>The Combine aren't from Xen. Xen is a borderworld. The Combine are from the next world over.</nitpick>

I'm having trouble not imagining Marena and Secret as Gurren-Lagann. It's awesome.

Indon
2009-09-04, 09:27 AM
Marena is a practicioner of that one Terrestrial formation-oriented martial art and they'd be assuming a formation to spill buffs onto each other?

*shrugs*

What's it called, Four Directions Protocol or something like that?

Edit: Five Directions Formation Protocol, of the Crimson Pentacle Blade Style. Awesome combo-system/charm, though the chances that our group knows it are remotely tiny.

Gez
2009-09-04, 10:06 AM
As i recall, Marena can turn into any beast she has drunk the blood off, isnt there plenty of nasty critters in the Exaltet world?

Nah, that's Tsai from Jack of All Blades. :smalltongue:

Weimann
2009-09-04, 10:08 AM
I will take a guess at Secret just riding Marena and shooting arrows all over. Marena's forms can be rather bulky, so she can push stuff out of the way.

It's probably not an optimal fighting stance, but it might work to diserse the crowd that keeps them from Misho.

Kyeudo
2009-09-04, 10:20 AM
It's probably not an optimal fighting stance, but it might work to diserse the crowd that keeps them from Misho.

Optimal in Exalted is always "whatever looks coolest."

Evil DM Mark3
2009-09-04, 10:22 AM
As i recall, Marena can turn into any beast she has drunk the blood off, isnt there plenty of nasty critters in the Exaltet world?Oh yes.

Ignoring for the moment the possibility that Marena might have the charms that widen the list of viable forms (such as deamons) there are still plenty of creatures who's species was first created with first age magiteck. The beasts of resplendant liquids are easily on the low end of the wierd and dangerous scale.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-09-04, 10:25 AM
As i recall, Marena can turn into any beast she has drunk the blood off, isnt there plenty of nasty critters in the Exaltet world?Oh yes.

Ignoring for the moment the possibility that Marena might have the charms that widen the list of viable forms (such as deamons) there are still plenty of creatures who's species was first created with first age magiteck. The beasts of resplendant liquids are easily on the low end of the wierd and dangerous scale.

Mind you it is not as simple as "have drunk their blood". In 1st ed I think that is how it worked, but in 2nd ed they made it so you had to hunt the creature down in a ritualistic cerimony (or meditate near it, in the case of those lunars who have learnt to take plant forms.) but still the option is there. For this reason I suspect that Chicken could well be on Marena's list...

MReav
2009-09-04, 11:27 AM
For this reason I suspect that Chicken could well be on Marena's list...

You mean... she can become... MEGA-ULTRA CHICKEN?!?!

Kyeudo
2009-09-04, 11:29 AM
You mean... she can become... MEGA-ULTRA CHICKEN?!?!

Yes. This is not as ridiculous as it sounds. I had a player kill a man while in frog shape.

MReav
2009-09-04, 11:31 AM
Yes. This is not as ridiculous as it sounds. I had a player kill a man while in frog shape.

I've seen Motivational Posters that have TMNT/Exalted crossovers.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-09-04, 12:37 PM
Yes. This is not as ridiculous as it sounds. I had a player kill a man while in frog shape.I once had a fellow player kill a man while in ant shape. Lunars can make very scary assassins and guards you know.

danelsan
2009-09-06, 04:08 PM
Hmm, #223...I'd like to say GATTAI!!! But that is highly unlikely to be a true "combination" and more something like marena becoming some huge or really fast beast that the others can ride, to get fastly to Misho by sheer speed or by trampling all the zombies in their way (of course, meanwhile Secret shoots and Karen cleaves them with her Gigaklaive)

lord_khaine
2009-09-07, 02:24 AM
Oh well, that was a farely close guess, though Marena picked a much smaller animal than i would have guessed, i was imagening something around the size of a very large rino myself, and of course i did not expect Karen to be part of the fusion either.

Still, Secrets comment takes first place :)

Jerthanis
2009-09-07, 05:05 AM
So the Author comments mention that it's not something that makes sense by the rules, but that it would be a very effective tactic.

Unfortunately, the mentality behind 90% of Exalted's fanbase is "absolutely the most optimal practice at all times or certain death" means that allowing something like this would result in every circle enacting this plan in every circumstance, and expecting all their antagonists would follow a similar strategy.

I hate Exalted fans sometimes.

Gez
2009-09-07, 05:52 AM
Karen doesn't seem to like defense.

Weimann
2009-09-07, 08:19 AM
Woot, I was right to an extent; I had also expected something much larger, but still!

I suppose Jukashi might be eager to keep her "fox" avatar accentuated and not mix too many other animals into her forms.
Karen doesn't seem to like defense.In all sincerity, the only one who seems to like this idea at all is Marena.

Indon
2009-09-07, 11:04 AM
In all sincerity, the only one who seems to like this idea at all is Marena.

Presumably, Marena's accustomed to the idea of people riding her.

danelsan
2009-09-07, 11:59 AM
While this sort of cooperative effort is more of Dragon Blooded trick, I'd possibly allow something to be done: mostly it requires a custom knack for optional big spirit shape (I guess she didn't just used some huge form in case she needs to spend a lot of Essence to avoid locking in true shapes) and a custom charm for Karen to defend others (perhaps a scene long that allows for defense of others but requires that the user keeps a guard action - which is why they need secret on the attack front). Secret wouldn't need anything extra, but either her or Karen using some Ride charms on Marena could enhance the whole thing further

lord_khaine
2009-09-07, 12:59 PM
Presumably, Marena's accustomed to the idea of people riding her.

After what we have seen of Marena, i would belive she is more used to it being the other way around...

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-07, 01:41 PM
and a custom charm for Karen to defend others

Actually that's unnecessary. A rider can defend his/her mount with his/her parry ability. Secret is straight out immune to attack due to none of the zombies having reach weapons(that we see).

Combining the above with Marena's ability to move freely means that the group as a whole can move at maximum speed without worrying about DV penalties(and subsequently without worrying about defense as Karen can defend herself and Marena freely), Karen is free to attack(as, IIRC, grand daiklaves are reach weapons) with a +1 die bonus for being mounted and Secret is equally free to attack also with a +1 die bonus for being mounted.

It -is- a rather sound tactic for movement through a group of unarmed zombies. If the zombies had spears then Secret might be in danger.

EDIT: Plus, it tastefully gets rid of the issue of how Marena's torn shirt is still covering her chest. :smalltongue:

Rockphed
2009-09-07, 06:53 PM
So the Author comments mention that it's not something that makes sense by the rules, but that it would be a very effective tactic.

Unfortunately, the mentality behind 90% of Exalted's fanbase is "absolutely the most optimal practice at all times or certain death" means that allowing something like this would result in every circle enacting this plan in every circumstance, and expecting all their antagonists would follow a similar strategy.

Isn't one of the draws of Exalted supposed to be that when something special gets well described, it works? This seems like the sort of thing that would be allowed to work "that one time," but everybody would be expected to come up with something else next time.

Also, zombies thinking you look ridiculous is a very bad sign.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-09-08, 03:35 AM
I hate Exalted fans sometimes.

It is sad, but a byproduct of the game system. First you tell all the players that they are playing divine WMDs, then you give them a system with some rather easy to uncover high end tactics and off you go, it is all downhill from there. I have tried to fix the problem, at least to get more awesome combos in the mix, but none of my ideas did as well as I had hoped.

There was one recent tactic that worked OK, an Infernal (for whom I had to invent both a Yozi and a Charm set...) who could force a bit more diversity as one of the charms (the Yozi is bound up in the ideas of force and momentum) added to the cost of charms if reused and another made perfect defenses require willpower to use. These charms augmented attacks, thus meaning that THEY could still be perfected, but it did make them try new stuff. And made sure the perfected EVERY incoming Infernal attack from then on....:sigh:

Truly, Exalted is a game that works best with Thespians.

Jerthanis
2009-09-08, 04:23 AM
Isn't one of the draws of Exalted supposed to be that when something special gets well described, it works? This seems like the sort of thing that would be allowed to work "that one time," but everybody would be expected to come up with something else next time.

Also, zombies thinking you look ridiculous is a very bad sign.

Oh yeah, of course it's a game where a cool description yields positive result, but if you dropped this in front of an Exalted powergamer, it would be, "Alright, then every Exalt always uses this tactic with no exception or they automatically lose" or something.

I dunno, I had a bad experience arguing with an Exalted powergamer the day I posted that, so it was mostly bitterness there.

I hate that people assume so much about the setting by reading the rules and optimization theory... Look up some of the example Celestial Exalts printed in the Direction books, almost none of them are optimized even one quarter as well as even the least focused PC is going to be according to powergamers. Filial Wisdom didn't put his melee excellency in his example combos, which means theoretically, a high DV could be sufficient to defend. Scarlet Whisper has 3 dex, 3 melee. Yurgen Kaneko, the Bull of the North, the warlord who has handed the Imperial Legions their asses on a platter doesn't have a perfect defense at all. Neither do Harmonious Jade or Moray Darktide.

To me it's like if people read the D&D monster manual and said, "Dude, a DM is allowed to add as many hit dice as he WANTS, it is therefore unrealistic for a 1st level character to beat a goblin, since the goblin can have as many hit points as the DM wants to give him." Factually correct, but a confusing conclusion to draw from the printed data.

Gez
2009-09-08, 05:23 AM
Oh yeah, of course it's a game where a cool description yields positive result, but if you dropped this in front of an Exalted powergamer, it would be, "Alright, then every Exalt always uses this tactic with no exception or they automatically lose" or something.

House rule that can be adapted to every game that focuses on doing cool dramatic stunts: "If you use the same tactic twice in a row, your opponent gains a +2000 "players are lame copycat without imagination" bonus every subsequent time you use that tactic."

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-08, 09:26 PM
"Alright, then every Exalt always uses this tactic with no exception or they automatically lose"

Not.. quite.

As I said before, this tactic is only adapted for use against groups without reach weapons. Anyone who has a reach weapon(you know, spears, the most common weapon given to troops) will attack just fine anyway. It's really no different than having all three of them mounted and riding around. Except for the fact that it's more compact.

Yurgen Kaneko, the Bull of the North, the warlord who has handed the Imperial Legions their asses on a platter doesn't have a perfect defense at all.

You really only need a Perfect Defense against other powerful Exalts. Elite Mooks and Mortals? Fun, but not necessary. I have no problem believing Bull of the North and his circle of Solars could destroy a 'paltry' Legion of less than 5,000 mortals.

Or does everyone conveniently forget that he's part of a full 5 Solar circle when describing his victories? :smalltongue:

Kyeudo
2009-09-09, 12:37 AM
Probably because the other 4 Solars aren't mentioned in the Core book at all and are rarely mentioned outside of CoTD:The North. I knew he had a Twilight with him, but that was about it.

Jerthanis
2009-09-09, 01:05 AM
Probably because the other 4 Solars aren't mentioned in the Core book at all and are rarely mentioned outside of CoTD:The North. I knew he had a Twilight with him, but that was about it.

The CoTD: North is out? I thought that wasn't for another month or so.

And it just emphasizes my point. Yurgen Kaneko doesn't need to be optimized to rule a region of Creation and walk all over the Realm Legions. Moray Darktide doesn't need to be optimized to be an effective admiral against the Lintha. The PCs of the story don't need to be optimal to survive.

But everyone you might talk to who is an Exalted fan says you do.

Kyeudo
2009-09-09, 01:30 AM
The CoTD: North is out? I thought that wasn't for another month or so.

I wouldn't know. I'm working on collecting the 5 CoCD books right now.

And it just emphasizes my point. Yurgen Kaneko doesn't need to be optimized to rule a region of Creation and walk all over the Realm Legions. Moray Darktide doesn't need to be optimized to be an effective admiral against the Lintha. The PCs of the story don't need to be optimal to survive.

Well, you can go a lot farther on a perfect dodge and a Melee Excellency than you can on an extra action Charm and Durability of Oak Meditation.

Jukashi
2009-09-09, 11:03 AM

I don't!

I never optimize my characters beyond the most basic "they're a swordfighter" or "they're a merchant" way, unless I'm going for something in particular - and even then, it's more often that I'm trying to make the world's best sailor or something. Like, once I made a solar gazellewomen with the intent of making her the fastest runner you could do in Exalted. I think I got her up to a top speed of something like 148 miles an hour. That was fun.

Anyway, Exalted is the sort of game where you need an innate contract not to be a munchkin (I won't say "powergamer" because that also means "someone who plays RPGs to fulfill a power fantasy", which is basically who exalted is primarily made for), and you need to provide your players with sufficient mooks and opportunities to be impressively Exalted that they don't feel the need to pump themselves up. In other words, you need to imprint on them that, in being Exalted, you're awesome without especially trying.

The problem you describe is one I find happens more when you try to move people from low-power RPGs into Exalted, especially if they came from the "DM vs. Players" school of gameplay.

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-10, 10:20 AM
Yurgen Kaneko doesn't need to be optimized to rule a region of Creation and walk all over the Realm Legions. Moray Darktide doesn't need to be optimized to be an effective admiral against the Lintha.

Yes, but they're not fighting other Exalts. If you're going up against other Celestial Exalts or Celestial Akuma(or even Terrestial Akuma) with any regularity then a Perfect Defense is something you would pick up. Mortals? Dragon-Blooded? You can get by just fine without ever picking up a Perfect Defense. Granted, they're the most common enemies in Exalted, but not every game takes place in Creation pitted against the Realm.

If I were in a game based in Autochtonia or the Underworld with the goal of destroying Autochton or the Neverborn then I'd aim to either start with a Perfect Defense or get one as soon as possible. But not having a Perfect Defense in a game centered around the Realm, it's tributaries or anywhere where you're the shark amid trout is fine. Simply because the number of truly threatening situations are incredibly low.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-10, 10:34 AM
Having a perfect parry is fun, though. You can parry the big scary beastman or elder terrestrial with a butter knife. Or one of those little paper umbrellas, if you want to get really humiliating.

Weimann
2009-09-14, 06:00 AM
No one commented on the new page yet? Aw man, I was hoping to find out just how severely casuality get screwed over there.

Uh, must make comment... Even Ben seem startled by her power. Does she actually defeat Drums with a tone from clanking her weapons together? I don't really think music is her schtick.

Justyn
2009-09-14, 06:29 AM
No one commented on the new page yet? Aw man, I was hoping to find out just how severely casuality get screwed over there.

Uh, must make comment... Even Ben seem startled by her power. Does she actually defeat Drums with a tone from clanking her weapons together? I don't really think music is her schtick.

Jukashi explained it better than I can a while back.

The Keys have to be shaped like keys, in order to contain their power. They were made into swords as well so that whoever held one would always be able to defend themselves. They use the stats for Hook Daiklaives (SotM, I think), with an additional +1 to Defense and each, of course, with a different MM bonus. The soulsteel Key has +2L damage instead of the aforementioned Defense bonus.

A person with one Key (attuned) can open, close, lock or unlock any non-magical lock- or door-like object simply by tapping it with their Key. By spending 1m, they can extend the Key's power to do the same to any such object in their line of sight. If the object is warded magically, a single Key's power is on par with Emerald Circle Countermagic in its ability to overpower it and is as strong as an Emerald Circle Spell.

As a person gathers more Keys, their power increases and their ability becomes metaphysically broader in its application; so, while a single key can make a lock open or seal itself, two keys could make chains fasten or unfasten themselves, three keys could shut off or re-activate the warding ability of a circle of salt, and four keys could make a person "open their mind", i.e. render their Mental Dodge DV inapplicable to any attack (or close it, making that MDV Perfect and rendering them forever incapable of changing their mind about anything). With five keys, any action that can be even loosely defined using the words "open", "close, "trap", "free", "lock" or "unlock" is possible.

As far as power goes, each Key increases the sorcerous power level by one, so two Keys can overpower or equal Sapphire Sorcery and three Keys can overpower or equal Adamant Sorcery. The Keys, as objects of Creation, are one level lower versus Necromancy-based wardings (you'd need four to overpower Void Circle Necromancy), except for the Soulsteel Key, which operates the other way around and eliminates that restriction if used with the other Keys. Five Keys overpowers anything. This power level guideline should also be used as a rough guide to what the Keys can accomplish; for example, four Keys, while not all-powerful, would be above Adamant Circle Sorcery in power and could therefore perform feats such as freeing captive ghosts from soulsteel or tearing open a new gate into Yu-Shan.

Each Key, individually, is Artifact 4.

If a person is killed while still attuned to one of the original four Keys, the recoil of their essence "snapping back" into it triggers an Adamant Circle spell cast on it in the First Age, which teleports the Key to some random point within Creation. Link. (http://www.patternspider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=104168#p104168)

Gez
2009-09-14, 07:40 AM
casuality

Were you trying to say that causality was a casualty in this fight? :smallwink:

RedScholarGypsy
2009-09-14, 10:23 AM
Hey Jukashi, a question for the fae if you ever have that segment again: Can the five keys together close the Mouth of the Void?

Also, cool comic, it feels Sidereal, and the question we all want to know: when is Ten Winds making his grand* entrance?

Disclaimer: Entrance is not guaranteed grand or any other adjective, save perhaps drunken.

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-14, 11:48 AM
Hey Jukashi, a question for the fae if you ever have that segment again: Can the five keys together close the Mouth of the Void?

Probably, given that they are world-bending artifacts made directly from the remains of a Behemoth created by the Primordials. In essence, they are the physical remains of the power of an Incarnae.

Justyn
2009-09-14, 03:46 PM
Probably, given that they are world-bending artifacts made directly from the remains of a Behemoth created by the Primordials. In essence, they are the physical remains of the power of an Incarnae.

Well, I doubt that the God of Locks was an actual Incarna, but I wouldn't doubt that if he was "more behemoth than spirit" he could fall outside the normal divine hierarchy in regards to his powers and capabilities, and perhaps have powers on par with the Incarna.

Aquillion
2009-09-15, 07:18 PM

Uh, must make comment... Even Ben seem startled by her power. Does she actually defeat Drums with a tone from clanking her weapons together? I don't really think music is her schtick.Considering that her previous incarnation died in, I think, the Usurpation, she could easily be a roughly 1500-year-old Exalt, old enough to reach Essence 10. I doubt she's actually that old, because that would kind of make everyone else redundant, but it's almost certain that she's older than Ben (who can't have had more than a few years as an Exalt.)

Justyn
2009-09-15, 08:03 PM
Considering that her previous incarnation died in, I think, the Usurpation, she could easily be a roughly 1500-year-old Exalt, old enough to reach Essence 10. I doubt she's actually that old, because that would kind of make everyone else redundant, but it's almost certain that she's older than Ben (who can't have had more than a few years as an Exalt.)

I think that Misho knows too much about what happened during the Shogunate to have died during the Usurpation. Also, Jukashi has said the Faen Luif died during the Usurpation at the hands a Lunar, and she was her Exaltation's second incarnation (the first died during Primordial War, and Faen Luif herself also fought in it). Also, she says herself that she's well over 1000 years old here (http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0123.html).

Jukashi
2009-09-15, 09:12 PM
Misho knows too much about what happened during the Shogunate

You assume he didn't learn anything before the comic started. From, say... Lunars?:smallwink:

Justyn
2009-09-15, 09:34 PM
You assume he didn't learn anything before the comic started. From, say... Lunars?:smallwink:

To be fair, I did pretext it with "I think".

And it's not as if there is no precedent of Solars surviving the Usurpation (It's canon that seventeen or so survived the Usurpation. For a distinct example, the Mask of Winters and Walker in Darkness both survived well into the Shogunate before they died and became Deathlords), and it's really underused idea if you ask me.

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-20, 08:19 PM
Well, I doubt that the God of Locks was an actual Incarna, ...

Hence my qualification of: "In essence".

EDIT: So.. Is Pattern Spider (http://www.patternspider.net/) down for anyone else?

Tavar
2009-09-20, 08:21 PM
Seems to be down for me as well.

small pumpkin m
2009-09-21, 01:47 AM
You know, I'd be confused and surprised if I was in Secret's position too.

Indon
2009-09-21, 07:07 AM
You know, I'd be confused and surprised if I was in Secret's position too.

Staring at the hole between comic frames that Faen tore when she used part of the comic frame as a thrown projectile?

Weimann
2009-09-21, 08:16 AM
Staring at the hole between comic frames that Faen tore when she used part of the comic frame as a thrown projectile?Yeah, that.

I'd also be surprised at that.

Indon
2009-09-21, 03:17 PM
In fact, I love the use of the fourth wall as 'fate' in general - it explains how Fae can look beyond the fourth wall, as well as how the awesome Sidereal charms work.

Oh, I just noticed that in the previous frame, she was grabbing the edge.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-09-21, 03:25 PM
Hang on, she mentions being at a Bronze faction jaz function...

Now it sounds like a "Zing" (I think it is called that) but it may also be an inidcator that she is Bronze Faction.

lord_khaine
2009-09-22, 02:49 AM
Now it sounds like a "Zing" (I think it is called that) but it may also be an inidcator that she is Bronze Faction.

After being hit by Ben's music based attack, she said she had heard worse in a bronce faction nightclub, to me it sounds more like a indicator that she is not bronce faction.

Rockbird
2009-09-22, 07:44 AM
First things first: I love this comic, Jukashi is awesome. Got into Exalted because of it.

Secondly, i realized i never posted these here, so maybe i should? Fanart: good, hiding them in your gallery and not telling the original artist: bad, no? :smallwink:

Misho
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Cocatrice/Misho.jpg

Ten Winds
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/Cocatrice/TenWinds.jpg

Weimann
2009-09-25, 03:28 AM
I must say, those are really good.

In other news, I get an RSS update about there being a new comic, but there is no actual new comic. What's up with that?

Edit: Oh, there we go. Nevermind then, I guess there was just a minor delay.

Edit 2: And Marena is once again awesome!

lord_khaine
2009-09-25, 05:42 AM
and it seems Ben is pinned down by a piece of broken frame?

I wonder how Ben will get out of this alive now, if Flame doesnt do something fast then it would seem he is done for.

RedScholarGypsy
2009-09-28, 07:40 AM
All I could think of, seeing the last panel, was YES!

Secret is probably screwed seven ways from Sunday, but at least the Sidereal gets humiliated. The look on her face was priceless.

Excellent job, Jukashi. You made me cheer.:smallbiggrin:

Revlid
2009-09-28, 07:58 AM
You know, the smaller comics are actually really growing on me. They make the comic as a whole seem faster paced.

horngeek
2009-09-28, 08:07 AM
I agree with Revlid, although you don't want too many at once.

That becomes annoying.

Raz_Fox
2009-09-28, 08:12 AM
Go Secret!

That is all I have to say on this one.

Weimann
2009-09-28, 08:40 AM
Oh yeah, she's Day caste, isn't she? I've not really thought about her as more than an archer for the longest time.

And also, omg. I alws read the name of that skill as Larency. I now notice it's actually spelled Larceny. *is ashamed*

Gez
2009-09-28, 09:31 AM
And also, omg. I alws read the name of that skill as Larency. I now notice it's actually spelled Larceny. *is ashamed*

Don't feel too bad. I'm sure Ben spells it "larseny". :smallcool:

Tavar
2009-09-28, 09:36 AM
Go Secret!

QFT.
I think this makes up for her general spaziness.

Oh, and awesome avatar. Does the person who made it do requests?

Teln
2009-09-28, 10:02 AM
Do zombies have blood? If not, Secret's in trouble, since her belt's back.

Raz_Fox
2009-09-28, 01:18 PM
QFT.
I think this makes up for her general spaziness.

Oh, and awesome avatar. Does the person who made it do requests?

*Uses Avatarist Recommendation Stance*

Yep - Recaiden made the Secretar. He does requests, and is very accommodating about them.

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-28, 01:22 PM
*Uses Avatarist Recommendation Stance*

Yep - Recaiden made the Secretar. She does requests, and is very accommodating about them.

He. Recaiden is a he.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-28, 04:53 PM
...Oh yeah, Secret's a Day caste.

lord_khaine
2009-09-28, 05:02 PM
I guess that means she can fight if only she manage to convincer herself of it.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-28, 05:59 PM
Well, of course she can fight. She's an Abyssal Exalted, a bearer of a perverted Solar Exaltation. She has the unrivaled power of the Chosen of the Unconquered Sun flowing within her.

But her Essence score is probably only 3, so she's really only impressive when she's fighting extras.

Tavar
2009-09-28, 06:02 PM
Well, of course she can fight. She's an Abyssal Exalted, a bearer of a perverted Solar Exaltation. She has the unrivaled power of the Chosen of the Unconquered Sun flowing within her.

But her Essence score is probably only 3, so she's really only impressive when she's fighting extras.

Plus she has confidence issues. I forget where I saw this(I think it was the first thread), but the author mentions how Secret's main problem is her confidence. She is capable of fighting difficult enemies, but since she doesn't believe she can, nothing comes of it.

ZeroNumerous
2009-09-28, 06:11 PM
Plus she has confidence issues. I forget where I saw this(I think it was the first thread), but the author mentions how Secret's main problem is her confidence.

IE: She has low Valor and acts accordingly.

Tavar
2009-09-28, 06:16 PM
IE: She has low Valor and acts accordingly.

True. I wasn't looking at it like that, but in game that's probably a good way to think of it.

Jerthanis
2009-09-28, 07:54 PM
You know, the smaller comics are actually really growing on me. They make the comic as a whole seem faster paced.

I definitely agree. I'd probably prefer three comics a week at this half-size than two a week at full size. It'd probably pace better, cliffhangers on Mondays wouldn't hurt as bad. Then if a comic needed a larger shot, or more would go on in it, a larger comic could be the exception.

Drascin
2009-09-29, 03:47 PM
I have to admit, I actually chuckled to myself outloud at the cartoonesque *swipe!* in the latest strip.

Sometimes, even in Exalted, classic simple solutions just work the best :smallbiggrin:.

Lord of Rapture
2009-09-29, 05:30 PM
I'm sorry, what do you mean by "sometimes", you filthy heretic?:smalltongue:

lord_khaine
2009-09-30, 04:25 AM
Well it is a bit funny, that its Secret that proberly end up saving Bens life, because interupts the fight with her little theft.

Revlid
2009-09-30, 06:30 AM
Well it is a bit funny, that its Secret that proberly end up saving Bens life, because interupts the fight with her little theft.

Yeah. One wonders why she couldn't have waited just a few ticks.

Maybe he'll repay the favour! Or maybe not.

lord_khaine
2009-10-01, 03:00 AM
Yeah. One wonders why she couldn't have waited just a few ticks.

Maybe he'll repay the favour! Or maybe not.

I guess she wantet to do it while the Sideral was distractet with putting Ben out of his misery, though i now wonder if it will turn into a game of tag with the key as the price.

Weimann
2009-10-01, 04:54 AM
I'm concerned about how easy it seems to be to snatch a wielded weapon from a century old Chosen of Battles. Is that plot driven or can Larceny actually swipe the weapons out of people's hands?

If so, that's rather overpowered.

lesser_minion
2009-10-01, 05:42 AM
I'm concerned about how easy it seems to be to snatch a wielded weapon from a century old Chosen of Battles. Is that plot driven or can Larceny actually swipe the weapons out of people's hands?

It isn't specifically mentioned, so she might be using some sort of charm.

Saying that, it might also qualify as a stunt, and Secret probably has fairly high Dexterity + Larceny. It works in a similar way to D&D: flat difficulty to lift something, opponent can roll to notice the attempt. Whether or not it works in combat time is the ST's call, I guess.

As for the choice of tactic: I guess it's a lot funnier this way.

Indon
2009-10-01, 02:33 PM

Larceny is indeed what you use to swipe weapons out of people's hands, in dramatic moments. In combat, you would use a Disarm roll - but Secret isn't disarming in a combat context, but instead swiping it from an unsuspecting individual - just like a thief would.

And of course an Exalt can swipe something you're holding out of your hand. They're Exalts. And as a Day-caste Abyssal Secret is probably way better at it than a Chosen of Battles is at preventing it.

Weimann
2009-10-01, 02:58 PM
I guess I just think that a seasoned character explicitly bent on being a melee monster should have some kind of "keep your damn weapon" mechanic.

Then again, it was an unattuned offhand weapon that she found just minutes ago, and Secret IS Day.

So, yeah, maybe it's not so strange.

Jerthanis
2009-10-01, 05:35 PM

You can't steal something if it's attuned, and also not if it's in active use, generally, no.

Abyssals are particularly good at disarming if I recall correctly, so it could be she's actually using a Melee charm... or something.

Teln
2009-10-01, 09:43 PM
Except Jukashi has said that if you're attuned to one of the Keys, you're attuned to all of them.

Tavar
2009-10-01, 10:00 PM
Except Jukashi has said that if you're attuned to one of the Keys, you're attuned to all of them.

Really? Where did he say that? The only post of his that I've seen specifically mentions that the Sideral is not attuned to the Key she just picked up.

small pumpkin m
2009-10-01, 10:44 PM

It wasn't quite that cut and dried, but something to that effect was said, yes.

Jukashi
2009-10-01, 11:12 PM

You count as being attuned to them, for the purposes of using their powers. And this only so long as someone is attuned to it.

Rockphed
2009-10-01, 11:49 PM
I don't think this last comic is too chaotic. Feeling like it is missing a panel where flame summons that giant skeletal hand, maybe. Feeling too chaotic, no.

Revlid
2009-10-02, 06:08 AM
I don't think this last comic is too chaotic. Feeling like it is missing a panel where flame summons that giant skeletal hand, maybe. Feeling too chaotic, no.

I dunno, I quite liked it. Made it seem chaotic, true, but only in the way a battle should be, not in an overly-confusing-for-the-reader sort of way.

However, having read it just after catching up with the shonen updates on OneManga, I was initially rather confused about why the panels weren't going from right to left... It's like adjusting your nightvision.

lord_khaine
2009-10-02, 09:30 AM
I liked todays flow of the comic, and thought it funny how secret have trouble running away with the sword she just stole :)

Though i also find it funny how little Karen is actualy contributing there, merely keeping Ben from getting his weapon, when she could be bashing his skull in with a great sword

RedScholarGypsy
2009-10-02, 01:22 PM
I think the comic flowed well. There was only one player in the mix who could summon a giant skeletal hand, and you saw everyone mixing it up in the fight.

As for Karen, I think she's playing it smart. Right now there are three Exalted, all of whom are her enemies. Not engaging right away means she's less vulnerable and can take advantage of the situation as it changes. Plus she's probably waiting for Marena to pick up Secret and then get the heck out of there.

Also, who's waiting for a Can of Justice to get opened? I know I am. :smallamused:

Yuki Akuma
2009-10-02, 07:04 PM
Secret's anima is showing - that *swipe!* was probably a charm.

Or she just dumped motes into her anima for no reason.

I'm going with the former.

(Also, notice how her anima isn't flowing around the key? That's a pretty nice way of saying 'this isn't an attuned weapon'.)

Ka-ther Fangfoot
2009-10-02, 08:28 PM
That is pretty awesome that she stole the key right out of the sidereal's unsuspecting hand. From what I have read that seems to be pretty much what Exalted is about. Awesome. If I played Exalted I think I would want to steal people's weapons like that, just for kicks.

EDIT: KoC got me interested in Exalted, and I downloaded the Anthema character creator. :smalltongue: I think if I ever played Exalted I would make a truely epic hero, i.e. someone based off of the heroes in the Illiad and suchlike. Larceny is an important skill for cattle raiding. :smallbiggrin:

The Demented One
2009-10-02, 09:15 PM
EDIT: KoC got me interested in Exalted, and I downloaded the Anthema character creator. :smalltongue: I think if I ever played Exalted I would make a truely epic hero, i.e. someone based off of the heroes in the Illiad and suchlike. Larceny is an important skill for cattle raiding. :smallbiggrin:
You, sir. You understand how this game is done.

Tavar
2009-10-02, 09:23 PM

Did the same for me. Well, that and at the time there was a big exalted thread on the forums, plus and IRL game was opening up. It really is an amazing setting.

Ka-ther Fangfoot
2009-10-02, 09:36 PM
You, sir. You understand how this game is done.

Why thank you. I liked the Iliad when we read it in my humanities class and I have also read stuff on the epic milieu, so I think a cattle-raiding epic king would be pretty cool.

On the comic, does anyone else thing Denied! when they look at the panel of Karen intercepting Ben's guitar?

ZeroNumerous
2009-10-03, 04:56 AM
Secret's anima is showing - that *swipe!* was probably a charm.

Thieving Raiton Claws wouldn't even give you the option of defending. She just steals it unless you're attuned.

small pumpkin m
2009-10-03, 08:39 AM
You count as being attuned to them, for the purposes of using their powers. And this only so long as someone is attuned to it.

I had assumed it would be something like that :].

small pumpkin m
2009-10-04, 09:06 PM
Double post because I only just noticed Ben's shadow. That's pretty cool.

Tavar
2009-10-04, 09:42 PM
I don't think that's his shadow, it's his anima[sic] showing.

Weimann
2009-10-05, 02:50 AM
Oh no, he shoots beams from his eyes! This can't be good.

So Misho is out of the heat. Let's see Maena disengage that Limit Break now.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-05, 04:31 AM
Those are not beams, those are daggers, from Eyes Like Daggers Glance.

lord_khaine
2009-10-05, 04:47 AM
Well, i guess thats what Karen gets for fooling around instead of smashing Bens face in.

At this point i would suspect a retreat is in order from our heroes.

ZeroNumerous
2009-10-05, 05:02 AM
So Misho is out of the heat. Let's see Maena disengage that Limit Break now.

Heart of Tears lasts a full scene.

Weimann
2009-10-05, 07:02 AM
Those are not beams, those are daggers, from Eyes Like Daggers Glance.Wait, what? He shoots KNIFES from his EYES (http://www.wired.com/geekdad/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/knife_eye_attack.png)? That's... I couldn't even imagine that. Wow.
Heart of Tears lasts a full scene.Couldn't it be said that the scene has ended for Misho now, though? His fight with Flame is over and he's been disengaged for a while. Focus has definately shifted. It might warrant a recovery?