PDA

View Full Version : Mafia X - Revenge of the Boss Signup thread

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-17, 06:59 AM
Mafia X sign up thread.

Days to be between 48 - 72 hours, nights between 24-48.

Narrators -

Andre Fairchilde
Vibrant
and mabye Gezina, she's never gotten back to me

*** EDIT *** Oh yeah, start date is Sep 7th. Sign up through the 6th.

--------------------------------------------------

It is night in the City. The fog rises from the harbor blinding all but five feet in all directions.

Howard was a night watchman for the dock, but really his employer was the Mob. He turned a blind eye to ships coming to dock, took payoffs, and even helped the mobsters load up squirming bundles into the boats while the mobsters carried bags of concrete mix up the gangplank.

Tonight was different.

There was almost no sound, and except for hazy distant blurred lights – Howard was almost completely blind.

***WHOOSH SPASH***

Howard walked right off the dock into the water, dropping his billy club.
Fighting his way back to the dock, Howard began to panic when he realized that a silent ship was docking – if he didn’t get up the ladder he’d be crushed or drown!

In a sputtering blur, Howard made it up the rusting iron ladder onto the dock, and the silent blackened dark ship crashed into the dock with a jolt.

The ship screeched to a halt, grounding itself onto the shore.

Howard stood, and touched the ship that was within an arms reach. He followed it by holding onto the side until he felt a ladder – and proceeded to climb up onto the ship.

The ship was deserted, and powerless – there were no lights, and no noise.
Howard pulled out his flashlight and worked his way to the pilot house. No one.

Making his way downstairs, he found blood on the floor – but no crew. He walked from fore to aft, and found no one.

He knew it was a bad idea to go into the cargo hold – any good guard on the take does not want to see what the bosses *really* do down there… but he had to investigate this.

Making his way down into the hold, he found box after box labeled in Romanian. He couldn’t read any of it.

Finally, he found something he could understand – an expensive coffin.

With a shudder, he pressed himself on to the coffin – and began to open it.

In an instant, an arm shot out of the casket gripping him by the neck… cold, so cold. So cold… and Howard’s hair turned grey…

The figure in the casket opened the lid with a creak…

Count Dracula had arrived in the City.

Other coffins also opened, as the Children of the Night prepared to feast on their first victim.

Count Dracula had arrived as a conqueror to take the City and make it his bride.

--------------------------------------------
Since this game will overlap Halloween, it has a gothic flavor to it and a new Mafia group - the Children of the Night!

The Rules:
Rule 1 – Don’t sign up unless you’re willing to play any role. You are not allowed to give up your roles.

Rule 2 –Read your PMs. You may receive a message, or be killed, and it won’t be broadcasted to the game. Read your PMs before you check the updates to see if you’ve been killed.

Rule 3 - This is a game based on turns – 48-72 hour day phases (comic updates notwithstanding) and 24-48 hour night phases.

Rule 4 - We are using "Helgraf's Interference rule" for multiple scries. If more than one person scries the same person (i.e. Mafia VI when 3 (!) people scried Shadow on Night 1) then the results for all scries is "Undetermined" or something to that effect.

We reserve the right to add more rules.

Autolynches are enforced for every two day phases without a vote. Pointing at yourself doesn't count. If you don't think you can post once every five days, expect to be autolynched. This is after all a turn-based game with winners and losers, which has elements of team work, subterfuge, and a time limit. These time limits are enforced to maintain game balance.

Roles:
Masons - Fraternal Order of Police (Good Guys). Traditional mason role. These are the few good cops trying to turn the city around again.

Once the “Bad Guys” the Fraternal Order of Police have rebounded and now represent the honest cops of the City. Allied with the Citizens, Commissioner Gordon (the Baner), Ben Urich (the Scryer), and Cub Reporter but do not start out knowing who they are. The Fraternal order of Police does know all of its members. (Scry as Masons)

Winning the Game: The Masons win if they successfully eliminate both the Children of the Night and the Capone Mob.

Baner – Commissioner Gordon.
May make one Bane attempt per night protecting a citizen from assassination.

Winning the Game: The Baner wins if they successfully eliminate both the Children of the Night and the Capone Mob. Allied with the Citizens, Commissioner Gordon, Cub Reporter and Fraternal Order of Police, but does not start out knowing who they are. (Scries as Baner)

Seer or Scryer – Ben Urich
As the Seer you are allied with the Citizens. You may make one Scry a night and have 100% accurate results. Your win conditions are: Eliminating both groups of Wolves – Children of the Night and the Capone Mob. (Scries as Seer EVEN TO THE FOOL).

Fool – Believes he/she is Ben Urich (Scryer). Allied with the Citizens. You may make one Scry a night and have 35% accurate results. Will still receive a result which is 65% likely to be false. Your win conditions are: Eliminating both groups of Wolves – Children of the Night and the Capone Mob.

The Lovers - Jonathan and MinaThe two lovers start the game knowing each other.

Mina - Lover– Count Dracula wants to embrace Mina and turn her into a vampire. If Mina is killed by the Children of the Night, lynched, or autolynched the Children of the Night receive a one time free scry.

Jonathan - Lover – Jonathan Harker, a lawyer, has run afoul of the Capone Mob. One of the two lovers, the Lovers start the game knowing each other. If Jonathan is killed by the Children of the Night, lynched, or autolynched the Capone Mob receives a one time free scry.

Winning the Game: The Lovers win if they survive and successfully eliminate both the Children of the Night and the Capone Mob.

The Citizens (Villagers) These are the everyday members of society. They usually play by the rules and follow the law; however, that isn't to say that when an opportunity comes along to get a leg up they wouldn't take advantage. The goal of the Citizenry is to get rid of the Children of the Night and Capone’s Mob. The citizens are really in the game for themselves to survive. You may vote once per day phase to try to make this city a better place. Allied with the Fraternal Order of Police, Police Commissioner, Investigative Reporter, and Cub Reporter, but knows none of these roles in advance. (Scry as Citizens)

Winning the Game: The Citizens win if they successfully eliminate both the Children of the Night and the Capone’s Mob.

The Children of the Night – A group of gypsies and thieves – “old world mobsters” that have been embraced into Vampirism by their lord and master Count Dracula. Count Dracula left Romania for England, and then left England for the City.

Count Dracula - The Children of the Night Alpha. Sends in the nightly kills, or designates one of the other Children of the Night to do so. (Scries as “Citizen”)

Renfield - Devil. 100% scry once per night. Count Dracula needs somebody to protect his coffin during the day, and do scouting around the city. He has mentally enslaved the madman Fenfield to do his bidding. If Renfield dies, the Children of the Night lose their ability to Scry. (Scries as “Renfield - the Devil”).

Children of the Night (The Children of the Night - Mafia)
These are old gypsies, gangsters from the ages. Embraced by Dracula because of their proven toughness, intelligence and ability. Standard wolf role, counting towards victory. (Scries as Children of the Night – Wolf)

Children of the Night - Victory Conditions: Eliminate the Capone Mob and equal or outnumber the Citizens/Fraternal Order of Police/Commissioner Gordon at the end of the game.

The Children of the Night Mob have two options for their night kill:
Public killing – The public killing is a message to the citizenry to stay out of the way, and accept things the way they are. Traditional night kill, body left in the street, etc. Usually very messy and a loud statement.

OR - Abduction
The Wolves send in the kill saying they want to abduct and kill a player. If the player is not protected (baned) in the night phase – they disappear. The player will be PM’d they’ve been killed, and the body will turn up two or three day phases later.

I.E. If a player is abducted Night 1, the body will turn up the morning of Day 3-4. This is why it is very very important to NOT SPEAK IN THE GAME IF YOU HAVE BEEN KILLED. Don’t worry, the body will turn up.

The Capone Mob (Mafia):

Al Capone - .
The Capone Mob Alpha. Calls the hits, runs the city. (Scries as “Citizen”).

The Consigliore – Capone Mob - Devil - 100% scry once per night. If he dies, the Mafia lose their ability to Scry. (Scries as “Mafia Consigliore”)

Capone Gangster.
Standard wolf role, counting towards victory. These are the gangsters that make capone's mob tough. Gangsters come from all over the world to get into Big Al's pocket - truly the big leagues of organized crime.
(Scries as “Mafia – Capone Mob”)

Mafia Victory Conditions: Eliminate the Children of the Night and equal or outnumber the Citizens/Fraternal Order of Police/Commissioner Gordon at the end of the game.

Capone's mob has two options for their night kill:
Public killing – The public killing is a message to the citizenry to stay out of the way, and accept things the way they are. Traditional night kill, body left in the street, etc. Usually very messy and a loud statement.

OR – Abduction
The Wolves send in the kill saying they want to abduct and kill a player. If the player is not protected (baned) in the night phase – they disappear. The player will be PM’d they’ve been killed, and the body will turn up two or three day phases later.

I.E. If a player is abducted Night 1, the body will turn up the morning of Day 3-4. This is why it is very very important to NOT SPEAK IN THE GAME IF YOU HAVE BEEN KILLED. Don’t worry, the body will turn up.

Alarra
Fleeing Coward
Mordokai
Murska
Jontom Xire
Happyturtle
Wolfbane
Shadowcaller
Recaiden
Opeth Freak
Dirk Kris
The Bookworm
ThePhantom
Hyozo
Kyouhen
Phantomfox
Gothicbob
Fin
Lex-kat
Aemoh
DD the Cookiemonster
Harley
Geesi
Helgraf
Eldritch Knight
Banjo1985
Billtodamax
Evnafets
Uncle Festy
Heroic
Eaglewiz
Oddity
Whitehelm
Trixie
Piratemonk
Supagoof
Deathslayer7
The Bushranger
RedScholarGypsy
Mustiado
Zar Peter
Shadow
Hell Puppi
Bayar
Freshmeat_
Selarhc
Irbis
EnrgeticPenguin
Darkcomet
Philistine
Lemming
Elder Tsofu
Mountain_Faerie

Alarra
2009-08-17, 08:43 AM
*signs up*

Fleeing Coward
2009-08-17, 08:45 AM
Count me in.

Mordokai
2009-08-17, 08:48 AM
In, with gusto.

Murska
2009-08-17, 09:12 AM
I'm in. :smallsmile:

Jontom Xire
2009-08-17, 09:20 AM
Mafia? I'm in!

happyturtle
2009-08-17, 09:26 AM
In for my first mafia game.

UncleWolf
2009-08-17, 09:28 AM
I'll play. :smallsmile:

Shadowcaller
2009-08-17, 09:33 AM
I guess I will be in this game too.

Recaiden
2009-08-17, 09:36 AM
I'm in, of course.

Opeth_Freak
2009-08-17, 09:38 AM
Count me in :smallsmile:

Dirk Kris
2009-08-17, 10:25 AM
I survived the last one, so in again!

The Bookworm
2009-08-17, 10:32 AM
I'm in! (This is my first Mafia game.)

ThePhantom
2009-08-17, 10:35 AM
I will be in.

Hyozo
2009-08-17, 11:03 AM
In, probably as some sort of conspiracy theorist/nut. Maybe I'll survive long enough to do some actual roleplaying this time.

I vote we go for the cookie mobster day one, assuming he joins. Or Banjo, but I think he was lynched day one in either 8 or 9, so I'd rather avoid that. Maybe Dirk Kris? Is he a vampire?

Kyouhen
2009-08-17, 11:07 AM
I'll join!

PhantomFox
2009-08-17, 11:10 AM
Was there ever a doubt that I'd be in?

Robert Blackletter
2009-08-17, 11:25 AM
In, but getting married on 28th so will be absent that weekend if that o.k otherwise I wait and watch on the sidelines

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-17, 11:32 AM
In, but getting married on 28th so will be absent that weekend if that o.k otherwise I wait and watch on the sidelines

You're getting married on the 28th of September? Congrats! *If* you're still alive at that point, feel free to post an away filing. All you have to do is post on the game thread that you'll be gone or have minimal internet AND post on WW central the same. I won't autolynch you, but the City is still allowed to lynch you if they're suspicious. I wouldn't put it past them, they're a brutal, distempered lot.

Fin
2009-08-17, 11:35 AM
In, with Cake!

Also is Mina the other Lover, I assume so but you specified the fact with regards to Johnathan but not Mina so just clarifying really?

EDIT: Sorry Gothicbob I never saw your post! Congratulations on getting married!

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-17, 12:00 PM
@Fin -
Yes, Jonathan and Mina are the two lovers. Edited and updated - Thanks!

Please let me know if there are any other mistakes, or if something is not clearly written.

Lex-Kat
2009-08-17, 01:02 PM
In :smallsmile:

Aemoh
2009-08-17, 01:26 PM
In, says I!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-17, 01:41 PM
In !

Harley
2009-08-17, 01:55 PM
I'd like to join.

Guancyto
2009-08-17, 02:18 PM
In! This should be fun.

Helgraf
2009-08-17, 02:47 PM
So very very in

Eldritch Knight
2009-08-17, 03:30 PM
Once again I find myself in a cesspool of a city, a place where crime and corruption is the lifeblood. Once again the lines between good and evil blur as gangs fight over the pitiful scraps of human refuse that populate this place. Whatever happens, there's bound to be profit in it.

(I am In!)

banjo1985
2009-08-17, 03:40 PM
So very in. :smallbiggrin:

*adds congratulations for the most gothic of Bob's*

billtodamax
2009-08-17, 03:47 PM
Yes, yes, yes. In.

Alarra
2009-08-17, 03:51 PM
Question about Jonathan and Mina... you currently have it listed so that for either person if they are killed by the children of the night the appropriate group gets a free scry, but not if they are killed by the capone mob. Is that right? It seems to me like Jonathan should give a scry to the mob if killed by them, rather than by the children, (which may have been your intent and this was a typo), or that both should give a scry regardless of which group kills them.

evnafets
2009-08-17, 03:52 PM
The clackety clack of the rails was almost hypnotic. Leaning back in my seat, I watched the scenery drift lazily past the window - not really registering much though. My thoughts were elsewhere. Home and family behind me, I was off to the big City. What would I find there?

Sign me up please.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-17, 04:01 PM
Question about Jonathan and Mina... you currently have it listed so that for either person if they are killed by the children of the night the appropriate group gets a free scry, but not if they are killed by the capone mob. Is that right? It seems to me like Jonathan should give a scry to the mob if killed by them, rather than by the children, (which may have been your intent and this was a typo), or that both should give a scry regardless of which group kills them.

That is a typo. If Mina is killed by either mafia, lynched, autolynched, etc. her death provides a scry to the Children of the Night as they drain her memories from her cooling corpse.

The same for Jonathan and the Capone Mob. His death by either mafia, lynch, autolynch, etc. provides 1 free scry to the Capone mob as they torture any information from him.

Uncle Festy
2009-08-17, 04:08 PM
Yes. In. :smallbiggrin:

Hyozo
2009-08-17, 04:53 PM

Alarra
Fleeing Coward
Mordokai
Murska
Jontom Xire
Happyturtle
Wolfbane
Shadowcaller
Recaiden
Opeth_Freak
Dirk Kris
The Bookworm
ThePhantom
Hyozo
Kyouhen
PhantomFox
gothicbob
Fin
Lex-kat
Aemoh
DD the Cookiemonster
Harley
Geesi
Helgraf
Eldritch Knight
banjo1985
billtodamax
evnafets
Uncle Festy

Fixed and updated. I'm sure Kyouhen, PhantomFox, and DD the Cookiemobster don't want to be left off the list any more than I do.

Heroic
2009-08-17, 06:47 PM
I'm SO IN !!

EagleWiz
2009-08-17, 07:04 PM
I am in. And thats still not 10 letters. Darn.

Oddity
2009-08-18, 02:13 AM
Oddity hides his gun under his shirt
"Shh, or Ima friggin blow your head off"

whitehelm
2009-08-18, 08:49 AM
Signing up.

Trixie
2009-08-18, 09:38 AM
Awww, our previous team got wiped out from the game? :smallfrown:

Sigh.

The only time in history I got to be a "wolf", and it led to my role being deleted.

Curses! :smallsigh:

PirateMonk
2009-08-18, 10:42 AM
I'll try this.

Uncle Festy
2009-08-18, 01:46 PM
Awww, our previous team got wiped out from the game? :smallfrown:

Sigh.

The only time in history I got to be a "wolf", and it led to my role being deleted.

Curses! :smallsigh:

Don't worry, the losing wolf team (or teams) get kicked off the island after all the mafia games. :smalltongue:

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-18, 02:02 PM
(Falcone may return, and may actually not be gone from the City. I just wanted to do something "Halloween" as that may be when the game culminates.

Also, I'm running Castle Ravenloft for my 3.5 D&D gaming group, so you could say I'm inspired by bloody vampire kills.)

Supagoof
2009-08-18, 02:19 PM
((In like Fin!

Congrats Gothicbob!))

And so the tireless lament of city carries on. The storm never fully settles in the history of this once great place. So I too, must carry the weight on my shoulders. The burden of champions past is never easy to uphold. The lessons of Atlas have informed me that time wears down only the soul, never the spirit. As if sparked by a faint memory, I hear the music play as it did years before.....

Dah da-da dah da-da-da-dah dah. DAH da-da dah da-da-da-dah DAAAH
Dah-da-da-dah da-da-da-dah..BA BAAAAAH..Da DAAAH.
Da-da daaaaaah
Da-da daaaaaah (www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TRLtIYwWM)

Deathslayer7
2009-08-18, 02:55 PM
in. *goes to poke BR once more* :smallbiggrin:

The Bushranger
2009-08-18, 02:58 PM
*is poked!*

I'm so goin' in! :smallbiggrin:

RedScholarGypsy
2009-08-18, 11:40 PM
The legendary Mafia game. So in.:smallbiggrin:

Mustiado
2009-08-19, 12:23 PM
I'm in. With RP! Just to prove Goof wrong.

Zar Peter
2009-08-19, 02:46 PM
I'm in. And filler

Shadow
2009-08-19, 02:51 PM
How could I *not* play?

Hell Puppi
2009-08-19, 03:52 PM
Well this is probably a bad idea with school starting soon but I know I'll regret it if I don't join up.

In. :smallbiggrin:

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-19, 04:03 PM
Feel free to start RPing here if you want...

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-19, 04:28 PM
I'm gonna need a certain...''Mountain Faerie'' for that, sadly I haven't seen her in some time now.:smallfrown:

Bayar
2009-08-19, 04:35 PM
Disclaimer: Count Dracula is not romanian, nor is he known as Vlad the impaler. And Romania is not the gypsy country of origin. I should know, I live here.

Anyway, in.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-19, 06:28 PM
Disclaimer: Count Dracula is not romanian, nor is he known as Vlad the impaler. And Romania is not the gypsy country of origin. I should know, I live here.

Anyway, in.

Ah. And I knew that too. I'll try to balance between reality, Dracula by Brahm Stoker, and "Love at First Bite" as much as possible. Especially since I like to write from historical events.

Freshmeat
2009-08-19, 10:20 PM
Colour me interested.

Murska
2009-08-19, 10:24 PM
Colour me interested.

Whoa! It's YOU!

We have no hope gentlemen!

Hyozo
2009-08-19, 10:26 PM
Whoa! It's YOU!

We have no hope gentlemen!

Are you sure? He may not have perfected his wolf finding technique while he was away. He probably did, but he might not have.

Murska
2009-08-19, 10:29 PM
Are you sure? He may not have perfected his wolf finding technique while he was away. He probably did, but he might not have.

But he sure made his time. Ha Ha Ha.

Uncle Festy
2009-08-19, 10:44 PM
Colour me interested.

=O
You're back! I think!
Awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Lex-Kat
2009-08-19, 11:38 PM
Colour me interested.
I hope you play. I've never been in a game with Freshmeat before. I think.

Fleeing Coward
2009-08-20, 12:11 AM
Colour me interested.

Welcome back :smallbiggrin:
I'll start praying for a non-wolf role now :smalltongue:

Mordokai
2009-08-20, 12:47 AM
Colour me interested.

*shakes hands*

Glad to have you back! :smallbiggrin:

Selrahc
2009-08-20, 02:44 AM
I'll join up.

Irbis
2009-08-20, 03:42 AM
Could be interesting.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-20, 03:49 AM
Reaaally hope I'm on the same team as Freshmeat_:smalleek:

Trixie
2009-08-20, 03:51 AM
I cannot help but note the lack of my name on the list, despite my written interest :smalltongue:

Fin
2009-08-20, 04:23 AM
Woot, Freshmeat_ is back. Welcome home buddy!

Oddity
2009-08-20, 04:28 AM
Oddity will learn wells.
Oh Freshmeat_ the greater divine!

(I'ma play good, real good, then you shall know the awesometasticallymotacionarynotioness of ODDITY!)

banjo1985
2009-08-20, 05:38 AM
Hurray!

*colours Freshmeat interested, which happens to be a delightful shade of teal*

Bayar
2009-08-20, 06:47 AM
I cannot help but note the lack of my name on the list, despite my written interest :smalltongue:

Probably because he forgot to update the list.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-20, 06:59 AM
I'll have the list updated tomorrow.

Believe me Trixie, you're on the list!

Freshmeat
2009-08-20, 08:27 AM
Why, thank you all. It's good to be back.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-20, 08:35 AM

Wow - 47 have signed up in four days. :smallamused:

***EDIT***
Anyone want to volunteer to make trophies?

We'll need 1 per role, and perhaps a few more funny ones.

Roles we'd need trophies for:

Dracula
Renfield
Children of the Night
Capone
Consigliere
Capone Gunners
Scryer - Ben Ulrich (from Daredevil comics)
Baner - Commissioner Gordon (from... you have to ask? Batman)
Fool - Undetermined character at this time
Lover - Jonathan
Lover - Mina
Masons - Fraternal Order of Police

Other common trophies

First Lynch
Night 1 kills
Headstone for all those killed (these three can be almost the same, just different words)

and any other funny events, and anything nominated by the players

banjo1985
2009-08-20, 09:19 AM
Anyone want to volunteer to make trophies?

...possibly, but I can't say for definite, don't really know how busy I'll be in the next few weeks. We shall see.

The Bushranger
2009-08-20, 10:37 AM
Colour me interested.

Use the Force, Luke!!

:smallbiggrin:

EnrgeticPenguin
2009-08-21, 10:34 PM
Can I join?

Darkcomet
2009-08-21, 11:39 PM
In, I guess.

Philistine
2009-08-21, 11:44 PM
Sign me up, if you please.

Mustiado
2009-08-22, 12:02 AM
I know I just registered my extreme approval over in Memesville, but I can't begin to say how excited I am that Freshmeat is back.

*plops on his Panzer Helmet, and starts sketching on some grid paper.... yes... if those tanks could just float over the water...*

Mordokai
2009-08-22, 02:18 AM
I'll see you your flying tanks and raise you flying sharks... with bazookas!

Reinholdt
2009-08-22, 09:12 AM
In. With flying piranha-squirrels to counter the flying tanks and flying sharks.

Selrahc
2009-08-22, 09:17 AM
I'd say the only obvious counter to Flying Piranha Squirrels is Flying Hippos. And since they all work for me, people are going to have a hard time beating Reinholdt.

Reinholdt
2009-08-22, 09:29 AM
Go flying hippo/flying piranha-squirrel alliance! Scourge of the skies!

happyturtle
2009-08-22, 09:36 AM
Sure, go right ahead and take over the game. Then I'll get plenty of sweet sweet royalties for the use of my patented flying piranha squirrels. :smallwink:

Mordokai
2009-08-22, 10:14 AM
I'm sending in flying spaghetti monster!

ThePhantom
2009-08-22, 11:35 AM
The city, still quiet.

At the headquarters of Upways, a thriving sandwich business, Todd Rose, CEO, reads a letter telling him that his insane brother, Eric Rose, had pasted away still in the asylum.

"Poor old Eric. I told him that joining a cult always lead to a bad end."

Murska
2009-08-22, 12:13 PM
I see your flying stuff... and USE FIRE!

Lemming
2009-08-22, 12:47 PM
Sounds fun, I'm in! :smallbiggrin:

Selrahc
2009-08-22, 03:28 PM
*Looks left*
*Sees great beast of noodles ripping dozens of flying squirrels to shreds as a sniper cat takes careful aim...*
*Looks right*
*Sees Giant Green Eye blasting flying hippos out of the sky as they attempt to swarm him. Those that fall plummet out of the sky, hitting the ground with a sickening crunch. They then get back up and take wing again as undead flying hippos.*

*Nods to self*
This all seems in order.

Murska
2009-08-22, 03:48 PM
*blasts another five hippos with a single shot* not... *blast* Enough... *blast* DAKKA! *nuclear explosion eradicates the whole army and when the light subsides, the eye is gone*.

Selrahc
2009-08-22, 03:59 PM
I think I might be in need of new hippos.
*Retreats*

Mordokai
2009-08-22, 04:05 PM
*mutters something about godmoders*

Oddity
2009-08-22, 10:17 PM
*sits in a corner training an army of giant nuke-resistant cockroaches*

Murska
2009-08-22, 10:18 PM
*mutters something about godmoders*

*Mordokai muttered: 'Godmodders are awesome.'* :smalltongue:

Elder Tsofu
2009-08-25, 07:16 AM
Well, some years ago I played mafia in table-form and it was great fun. After reading the introduction I got curious, so let's see if an online-variant can match it. ^^
Sign me up please.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-25, 07:17 AM
New Idea -

If you sign up and cannot play, do not post back here saying you're dropping out. There's no quitting the Mafia unless it's feet first (if you know what I mean :smallamused:)

If you can't play, instead volunteer to be the first day lynch.

Shadow
2009-08-25, 11:25 AM
I don't like that idea one bit.
Not only does it pad the various Mafias' numbers from autolynches and a huge playerbase, but it makes them even bigger from people who know full well that they won't be playing.
Is that a good thing?

Not. One. Bit.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-25, 11:33 AM
Oh, there'd still be autolynches.

I was only thinking of the first day lynch. If someone says "I can't do this" then the whole city would be at liberty to lynch them first...

But we'll go back to the normal way, and sacrifice someone on Day 1 as normal.

Shadow
2009-08-25, 11:43 AM
But it will add more potential auto's that way. If more than one person knows that they can't play (say 3) we'll have:
--A first day lynch
--2 two guaranteed auto's
--all the rest of the auto's t5hat would have normally occurred

It adds more autolynches, and that's what we're trying to avoid here, isn't it?

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-25, 12:07 PM
Ok, I see your points. :smallwink:

Disregard previous idea.

Alarra
2009-08-25, 01:43 PM
Is people signing up and then deciding to un-sign-up before the game starts a more common phenomenon than I thought? :smallconfused:

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-25, 01:50 PM
(Probably not. I was just trying to think of something to alleviate the pain of the first day lynch. We have to have one, but it's usually someone really looking forward to playing...)

The Bushranger
2009-08-25, 02:27 PM
There's always the possibility of offering 'No Lynch' as a vote choice on day one...

Shadow
2009-08-25, 02:35 PM
All that does is give the bad guys a free night kill to start the game. Then we just start day "one" on day two. It doesn't solve the problem at all.
I guess I'm a cold hearted bastard, because I always feel as if "no vote" is a cop out, and that we need to start lynching as early as possible to start gathering what information we can.

Get lynched day one? Sorry. Them's the breaks.

Freshmeat
2009-08-25, 03:22 PM
I agree. Taking specific action to reduce the odds of newcomers getting lynched will keep only a small percentage of the players happy, yet will annoy a considerable part of the remaining players in the process. Wasting a day of voting (due to there being no lynch on day 1 or the lynchee getting a free daybane) or limiting the number of people you can lynch on the first day just seems like going through far more trouble than its worth.

In any given werewolf game, the vast majority of people will have at least a couple of games under their belt at the start of the game, so the statistical odds of a newcomer dying on the first day seems fairly low to me to begin with. Even then, we're still talking about one person out of 30-50 other players, and said person can always just join a new game anyway. I've yet to see anyone give up on werewolf simply because he or she got lynched early on during their first game.

Alarra
2009-08-25, 03:46 PM
Personally, I like the idea of starting with a night phase, then when we do lynch someone on day 1, we at least have their choice of first night kill to analyze. Of course, then whoever gets killed night one really doesn't get to play. At least as a day 1 lynch they have the opportunity to post and argue in favor of someone else.

EnrgeticPenguin
2009-08-25, 04:00 PM
Can I join?

As I said earlier I'd like to play.

Mordokai
2009-08-25, 04:00 PM
I was a wolf in Assassins II and I had a chance of starting a game with night kill. Later, narrator decided to start with day phase, as usual, so we lost that kill. But that was cool with me anyway, since I decided against using that kill anyway. Being lynched on day one may suck, but being killed before that sucks even more. I don't want to be a reason for that. I would rather give a player a chance to at least try and save himself with arguments.

But that's just me and it's widely known fact I'm weird by know. I dare say there are not many players that would miss a chance like that.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-25, 04:28 PM

You're in, don't worry. The game starts in about 12 days, Sept 7th, US. Central Standard Time.

Shadow
2009-08-25, 04:29 PM

Don't worry. I'm sure he saw it, but just didn't update the player list yet. :smallwink:

Mountain_Faerie
2009-08-25, 04:48 PM
OOOooooo! Mafia! I want to play!!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-25, 04:51 PM
WoooHoooo!

I've missed you MF!

How are you doing? And how's Hippie?

Mountain_Faerie
2009-08-25, 09:09 PM
I missed you, too, DD! Hippie and I have been bogged down with doctor stuff for our daughter, so we kind of fell off the boards. :smalleek: We missed you at our meet-up! Did you make your US tour?

Lex-Kat
2009-08-25, 09:46 PM
I was a wolf in Assassins II and I had a chance of starting a game with night kill. Later, narrator decided to start with day phase, as usual, so we lost that kill. But that was cool with me anyway, since I decided against using that kill anyway. Being lynched on day one may suck, but being killed before that sucks even more. I don't want to be a reason for that. I would rather give a player a chance to at least try and save himself with arguments.

But that's just me and it's widely known fact I'm weird by know. I dare say there are not many players that would miss a chance like that.
You were not a wolf, you were an assassin. I have no wolves in my game.

But yeah, I decided I didn't like starting a game with a night kill. The chosen victim doesn't even get to play. That doesn't sound like much fun to me. :smallfrown:

Andre Fairchilde
2009-08-26, 07:55 AM
Sign-up list updated, accurate I think. I'll double-check later.

As mentioned, players will be expected to vote at least once every two game days or be autolynched and removed from the game.

Don't sign up if you don't think you can do that.

IF you are lucky enough to have a night action, you will have between 24 and 48 hours to get your action into the Narrators. If you don't get your action in - be it a Kill, a Scry, or a Bane, then you have forfeited it for night.

Devils may "pass off" their scry choices to their Alpha or another team member, but scries will only be sent to the Devils. If your devil is not participating - sorry. :smalleek:

calar
2009-08-29, 11:12 PM
Shnikes thats a lot of people, I guess I'll sign up too.

TFT
2009-08-29, 11:18 PM
*Joins the group on the player list*

cd4
2009-08-31, 01:40 PM
I would like to play this Mafia game.

This is my first werewolf/mafia game that I have played though I have read several past games to see how they are played. One thing I have learned from those is never to tell murska your role, especially if you are the seer or baner as you will die pretty soon, probably the next night.

Reinholdt
2009-08-31, 01:49 PM

This is my first werewolf/mafia game that I have played though I have read several past games to see how they are played. One thing I have learned from those is never to tell murska your role, especially if you are the seer or baner as you will die pretty soon, probably the next night.
Good man. Good man. You'll do great here. :smallsmile:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-31, 01:54 PM
I missed you, too, DD! Hippie and I have been bogged down with doctor stuff for our daughter, so we kind of fell off the boards. :smalleek: We missed you at our meet-up! Did you make your US tour?

That's over in the summer of 2010.

Silly Faerie thinking I would miss her meet-up if I was in the country.

Hope your daughter is feeling better now?

Trixie
2009-09-01, 03:33 AM

Me, one the other hand, you can tell anything, as I'm NEVER evil :smallbiggrin:

What? I have proof in my sig! :smalltongue:

billtodamax
2009-09-01, 05:58 AM
What's this "Wolf" role I see in your sig! You sir are a liar and a thief! Possibly!

Mordokai
2009-09-01, 06:02 AM
Ugh, six more days...

Can we start this a little earlier? :smalltongue:

*puppy eyes in Andre's general direction*

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-01, 06:14 AM
Like maybe Friday?

Mordokai
2009-09-01, 06:17 AM
I... can't believe it... the puppy eyes worked! :smalleek:

This is going down in history! :smallbiggrin: *scribbles*

Um... yeah! Friday sounds good to me! :smallbiggrin:

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-01, 06:20 AM
Mafia IV game link – Star Wars (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62756)

Mafia V game link – 1926 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59665)

Mafia VI game link – 1927 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71336)

Mafia VII game link - 1927 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80219)

Mafia VIII game link – 1928 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92124)

Mafia IX game link – 1929 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92124)

Dirk Kris
2009-09-01, 06:47 AM
Meh, I'll be gone until Sunday, so I'll miss the first day. That sucks. That's almost always when the most RP is done. *le sigh*

Just...don't lynch me before I get the chance to play. Mafia is my favorite.

Vibrant
2009-09-01, 10:17 AM
Like maybe Friday?

Works for me, boss.

cd4
2009-09-01, 11:25 AM
Two things:

1) If both wolf teams target the same person as the baner does, will the target die or will the baner protect the target no matter what attacks the target.

2) I noticed that I'm not in the player list, so is that a mistake or the game is full?

Mordokai
2009-09-01, 12:19 PM
I see nothing in the rules that says that baner can't protect from both night kills. In fact, it has happened in Mafia IV, when both mafias targeted Freshmeat with night kill and he defended himself(he was baner) and wasn't killed. So I'd say that baner can protect from both night kills. I'm sure the narrator will correct me, if I'm mistaken.

And the game isn't full :smallsmile: Andre just didn't get to updating the list yet. When the game starts you'll be on the list, I'm sure.

Thufir
2009-09-03, 05:11 AM
I'll play.

Trixie
2009-09-03, 05:22 AM
What's this "Wolf" role I see in your sig! You sir are a liar and a thief! Possibly!

Its "wolf" because I was a fake wolf! And even that only once! :smalltongue:

[my grand total was 0 good powerroles killed, 3 wolves from the other team dead, soooo not-wolfy] :smalltongue:

billtodamax
2009-09-03, 05:26 AM
Did you have a night kill!
Was one of you victory conditions the elimination of villagers!
WOLF!
:smalltongue:

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-03, 06:33 AM
Sign-up ends in 24 hours.

Last call for players.

The first day will be *long* spanning from Saturday September 5th (or when the game thread is posted) through later Monday Sep 7th.

Game days will be between 48-72 hours for day phases, and 24-48 hours for night phases.

Updates will come from either myself or the lovely, talented, and nearby Vibrant.

All night actions must go to both of us - because sometimes it may be random who responds or updates.

Vibrant - I owe you a list, I got your pm.

cd4
2009-09-03, 10:34 AM
One small question:
What happens if one team decides to abduct a player and the other team decides to messily kill that player and the baner doesn't bane that player?

Zar Peter
2009-09-03, 10:39 AM
In my opinion (I as narrator would...) the team who sends in the action first get's it done. So if the first team abducts the victim the second team doesn't find anyone to kill while if the first team messily kills the victim the second team wouldn't bother abducting various body parts.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-03, 12:00 PM
One small question:
What happens if one team decides to abduct a player and the other team decides to messily kill that player and the baner doesn't bane that player?

This has happened.

The Victim is abducted on the night the "Kill" is sent in.

If the Victim is scried or another "Kill" is sent in for the victim of an abduction, the response is (something like) "(The Victim's) house is empty, it looks like there was a fight but he/she is gone!"

The Baner doesn't see this message, because they don't receive a scry.

However, if the Baner is protecting somone that isn't there - then, like the wolves finding out that the house is empty, or the scryer finding out the victim is gone - the baner *might* find out the victim is gone too. It sounds logical to tell the baner, this hasn't actually happened before.

Meanwhile the Victim has received a PM from the Narrators saying "You've been abducted tonight.:smalleek:

Don't post in the thread until your body has turned up, don't vote, and please don't respond to any questions or PMs regarding the game - even in chats.

Your body will turn up in three days."

The body of an abducted victim turns up one day later than the the autolynch, so it's pretty obvious if we have *not* autolynched someone that they are more than likely a victim of the abduction.

This is one of the reasons I'm fascist about killing off the autolynches, because of the Abduction rule.

Dirk Kris
2009-09-03, 12:14 PM
Can I get a working link to the last Mafia game, please? The other one links to VIII again.

@v: Thanks, boss.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-03, 12:39 PM
Mafia IX (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104108)

There you go!

Hyozo
2009-09-03, 12:48 PM
Hmm... Would it be against the spirit of the rules for players A and B (likely masons, lovers, or the seer's network) to send daily PM's to each other stating that they have not been abducted?

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-03, 01:58 PM
No, that's totally within the spirit of the rules.

And players for games have routinely posted "Here! Not abducted" or something on the day phase - but that's not an expectation from the narrators.

The only expectation we have is voting if you don't want to be autolynched.

The wolves don't have to abduct if they don't want to, or they can abduct for every kill if they choose.

Usually, they do a mix of both - but only one per night action.

Sometimes they time it so two of their bodies are found on the same day - because the body is found on the end of the night phase two nights later. (Is that right? Does the math... Victim abducted on Night 1 is found at the end of Night 34; after two three full days of voting but not autolynched.)

UncleWolf
2009-09-03, 03:13 PM
I'm going to be gone from Friday until Monday, sorry for missing the start of the game.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-04, 07:24 AM
....And sign up is closed!

Players list will be updated today.

Roles to be sent out sometime today.

Roles will be sent out *before* the game thread is posted, and of course I'm required to give Alarra a copy of all the roles :smallwink: - Kidding! I'm kidding. Please don't lynch her because of that.

Game thread will be up today, after roles are privately released.

Day 1 is extra long - will be ending evening of Monday Sep 7th, Central Standard Time, U.S.

If you aren't sure what time that is for you... try here (http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/central-time/).

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-04, 05:19 PM
Updated list:

Alarra
Fleeing Coward
Mordokai
Murska
Jontom Xire
Happyturtle
Wolfbane
Shadowcaller
Recaiden
Opeth Freak
Dirk Kris
The Bookworm
ThePhantom
Hyozo
Kyouhen
Phantomfox
Gothicbob
Fin
Lex-kat
Aemoh
DD the Cookiemonster
Harley
Geesi
Helgraf
Eldritch Knight
Banjo1985
Billtodamax
Evnafets
Uncle Festy
Heroic
Eaglewiz
Oddity
Whitehelm
Trixie
Piratemonk
Supagoof
Deathslayer7
The Bushranger
RedScholarGypsy
Mustiado
Zar Peter
Shadow
Hell Puppi
Bayar
Freshmeat_
Selarhc
Irbis
EnrgeticPenguin
Darkcomet
Philistine
Lemming
Elder Tsofu
Mountain_Faerie
Calar
The Fiery Tower
cd4
Thufir

Reinholdt
2009-09-04, 05:25 PM
I... don't see mah name.
*goes to make sure he did indeed sign up*
Yep. It's there...
:smallfrown:
*crawls under the bed to hide*

Mordokai
2009-09-04, 05:26 PM
*fishes Reinholdt from under the bed*

Don't make me kick some sense into that thick skull of yours... it's far too late for jokes like that.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-04, 05:41 PM
By ALL MEANS!!!!

DOUBLE CHECK MY LIST!

It's in order of sign-up, but I can provide an alphabetical one as well.

***Cleaning out PM box***

Mordokai
2009-09-04, 05:46 PM
He's not on your list Andre, but he signed up here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6774122&postcount=82). Probably an overlook on your part.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-04, 05:56 PM
Thanks!

Got him now!

(keep checking. I should make you a co-narrator or something when you get lynched abducted killed... never mind :smallwink:.)

Reinholdt
2009-09-04, 06:00 PM
Whee! I can play. Thanks.
*puts away the flying piranha-squirrels for now*

Mordokai
2009-09-04, 06:08 PM
I don't like the wa you're looking at me, mister :smalltongue:

Lemming
2009-09-04, 06:18 PM
Wow that's a lot of people! :smalleek:
I'm surprised you can find anyone on that list. >_>

Guancyto
2009-09-04, 06:21 PM
Psst!

Ctrl-F. :smalltongue:

And yeah, this is gonna be a long haul even with two night kills.

Andre Fairchilde
2009-09-04, 06:42 PM
**Whew!**

Roles are out, if you didn't get a role but did sign up - PM ME - don't advertise out loud to the world.

Waiting for the game thread to go up.

AF ~

Lex-Kat
2009-09-04, 08:52 PM
Alphabetical list:

Aemoh
Alarra
Banjo1985
Bayar
Billtodamax
the Bookworm
the Bushranger