PDA

View Full Version : SoW: Rescue at Rivenroar

Mad Hatter
2009-08-17, 04:21 PM
The road to Brindhol had been kind this day. The fair weather that had graced most of the day still fought back the dark clouds on the horizon, and it looks if the rain may hold until nightfall in a few hours. With the city before you, still bustling about in the late afternoon sun, the thought of a dry bed and a warm meal seeps into your thoughts once more.

You find yourself moving through the streets of the city as the smell of freshly baked bread catches your nose. Drawn to the aroma, you follow it to a two-storied building. You take only a glance at the sign above the door as you enter:

Antler & Thistle
Tavern & Inn

Your eyes adjust to the soft light inside and you find yourself on the ground floor of the large inn. The smell of the bread is heavy in here, and begin looking about for a place to sit. In the far corner, to the right of the stairs leading up, a game of cards is being played by three human men. It looks as if the game has just started as beer mugs are still mostly filled. A long bar stretches out on the wall to your left, being tending by a portly man drying off glasses. In the center of the room, a fire pit has been started for the main course.

As your taste buds begin to tingle with excitement, an elderly woman, bent with age, hobbles her way from a back room towards the fire pit with more planks of wood in her arms.

Cocking her head sideways to see you better,"Someone will be with ya in a moment." She mechanically dumps the wood in the pit and turns for another pass never looking back up at you. Your eye catches more movement from the same direction and you see a much younger woman following the same path.

She smiles as she places the wood carefully next to the pit and approaches you while wiping away the dirt on her hands. "Would you like a table, or a seat at the bar?"

Random NPC
2009-08-17, 04:46 PM
Ruath enters the Tavern, looking around. He looks for windows, exists, anything. He feels more secure knowing where he can go.

"A table..." He then points to a corner that would allow to inspect the whole place. "Over there. Thank you."

He decides to sit down, thinking of perhaps ordering something to eat. It has been a lot of time since he was in Brindol.

Don the Bastard
2009-08-17, 06:45 PM
Jane is already in the Antler & Thistle when you arrive, she sits at a table in the corner, next to the front door. She is leaning back on the chair, feet perched on the end of the table, she picks idly at a meagre meal with a long stilletto style dagger, it consists of some hard salty cheese, a chunk of leftover roast beef, some cherry tomatoes and a dry dusty bread roll, but compared with the maggoty crackers and fish she is used to it is a feast. *Not too shabby for 2 silvers* she thinks. *Need something to drink though* She reaches down to her bindle, brushing the rigging rope aside and grabs a handful of coins, then raises a hand to call over the bar maid...

Leliel
2009-08-17, 09:55 PM
An ascetically thin young man-far from anorexic, but certainly not entirely healthy-covered in a black robe with intricate designs walks up to the host.

"Table for one, madam."

Hzurr
2009-08-17, 11:25 PM
Fyodor - Goliath Warlord

The door bursts open with a bang, the doorway almost entirely blocked by a large framed humanoid. "Where is heavenly smelling bread?" Fyodor asks with a laugh. "If bread tastes as good as bread smells, you may have to use wild horse to pull me away from kitchen!"

He gives a smile to the young servingwoman. "Where to sit, eh?" He scans the room, mumbling to himself "Hmm....bar too small. That table too small...that table too full...too small...too small. Ah, I sit there!" He points to a table near the door where a human woman sits leaning back.

Walking over to the table, he sets his large sword down leaning against the corner. "You mind if I sit?" He asks with a wide toothy smile to Jane, sitting even as he speaks. "My name is Fyodor. You come here for heavenly smelling bread as well?"

ES Sparky
2009-08-17, 11:31 PM
Father Fren made his way through the streets of Brindhol, offering tray held before him. He'd been at the Temple only long enough to claim a bunk and brush the travel dust from his smock before his brothers had set upon him and pressed him into service raising funds for the Temple. And with unseemly enthusiasm for foisting it off on him too. "It's only fair, of course, Brothers," he smiled. They agreed.

If he was honest with himself, Fren could admit that he was remiss in not having been to Brindhol to serve at Temple in quite a long time. But he'd hoped to do something more fulfilling than shake down the townsfolk for their hard-earned coppers.

It was nearing dusk by the time Fren turned back to the Temple with the day's offerings. Meager indeed. His stomach rumbled. If memory served, there was a tavern nearby whose bread was... Ah... yes, there it is. And I bet there are some loose coin in there for the collection plate as well.

---

A young-faced cleric is shouldered past by a behemoth in furs. He bemusedly brushes himself off, settling his vestments and steps into the room. "Pelor's blessing on the Antler & Thistle," he smiles and makes a round symbol in the air before him. Moving up to the bar he is disappointed not to find Rinold minding the pints and quarts. He smiles at the barmaid and speaks in his soft rasp, "Ah, bread and ale for one, miss."

Don the Bastard
2009-08-18, 09:03 AM
"You are of course most welcome Fyodor, but you know, it is customary for a gentleman to buy a lady a drink when first meeting" Jane says with a cheeky grin, a feined snobbery and a tip of her hood "But there I gone and lost me manners, Jane is my name, but most call me Vanilla or Van, on accounts of my perfumery like" there is a distict smell of vanilla in the air, sweet but not overpowering.

Leliel
2009-08-18, 09:52 AM
Having gotten his table-which was uncomfortably close to the goliath and the suspiciously pirate-looking lady, Math gives the priest a quiet leer as he walks past.

Not that that's all that surprising, given his allegiances.

Hzurr
2009-08-18, 01:19 PM
Fyodor - Goliath Warlord

Fyodor turns as the priest enters, and gives a smile and slight nod in gratitude at the blessing before turning back to Jane. "Yes of course, a drink! My wife would beat me for 2 hours for forgetting such manners!"

Fyodor turns and calls out in a booming voice to the man behind the bar "Can I get drink for myself and new friend Wanilla?" Pausing, he glances at Fren again. "And one for noble priest as well!"

Once the barkeep brings them drinks, Fyodor turns back to Jane with a smile. "So, Wanilla, what brings you to beautiful city?" He glances down to her waist, curiously. "And why you bring rope into tavern?"

Leliel
2009-08-18, 03:26 PM
"Does she need a reason?" says the sarcastically layered voice of Math.

"One can never have enough rope, after all".

"And will you please quiet down? It's not as if we're on the main battlefield of Food World War III, after all."

Hzurr
2009-08-18, 03:58 PM
Fyodor - Goliath Barbarian

Fyodor turns to glance at the interjecting young man. "That true, rope is very useful. But not usually in tavern." he adds with a wry grin. He laughs again "And if you come to tavern for peace and quiet, I think you may be very confused.

"But today is good day. Let us not argue." He turns back to the bartender and calls out "Also, one drink for strange young man." Looking back at Math, he gives a big smile "Maybe if we very lucky, you will tell us about the first two Food World Wars, yes?"

Leliel
2009-08-18, 04:46 PM
"Firstly, thank you."

"Secondly, it's an interesting story. See, there was once an evil farmer who wished to create a Master Zucchini..."

Don the Bastard
2009-08-18, 06:10 PM
"I 'ad always wondered what would 'appen if a sucubus and a zuchini... would tha' make 'alf-fiend vegetables?" Vanilla seems lost in thought for a moment and oddly wistful look on her face. "Ah, yes Fyodor, I was marooned 'ere unfortunate like, this was the last place my ship made port and I was left behind, this" she says kicking her bindle "is everything I own in the world, can't afford to leave it behind"

Mad Hatter
2009-08-19, 07:32 AM
The waitress returns to your tables respectively, setting tall mugs of ale and baskets of bread covered by cloth before you. The look on her face seems as if she is paying attention to the conversation, but the clear disdain makes you understand she is not interested in where it's going.

After pouring the mugs to order, the bartender stands with a wide stance behind the bar and calls out, " I ain't seen none of you 'cept the lady with the rope b'fore. What brings you folks 'round Brindhol?" He leans forward to rest his elbows on the bar top and begins picking at a tooth in the front of his mouth.

Hzurr
2009-08-19, 01:35 PM
Fyodor - Goliath Warlord

"It has been long time since I come to Brindol. Last time I was here, it was to try and help with Red Hand problem, yes?" Fyodor gives a big laugh "But I was too late to help with problem. Red Hand defeated before arrival. However," He leans towards the bartender, arms crossed with elbows resting on his huge knees. "I hear that again town is in trouble. Do you know of this?"

Leliel
2009-08-19, 08:56 PM
"Me, I couldn't remember the Red Hand if I tried: I'm only seventeen."

"Even if I was older, I happen to be from the middle of nowhere. Very isolated little village, couldn't know much about the world outside of the forest I lived in, particularly given the...circumstances."

He seems to look downcast as he says this.

ES Sparky
2009-08-19, 10:55 PM
Father Fren didn't recall having seen the giant man in Brindhol over ten years ago--and assuredly he would remember such a colorful character. But then, it had been a troubled and trying time. Fren had spent rather more time than he cared to admit trying to forget those terrible days when the Red Hand had been driven back.

Flashes of the fighting, brutal and bloody, flicker before his eyes. He swallows and smiles a weak thanks at the big man before taking a sip from the flagon. His enthusiasm for the still-warm-from-the-oven bread dampened, Fren tears a hunk off of the bread and chews distractedly.

The conversation flows onward and the not-Rinold bartender asks after their purposes in Brindhol. He nods at the giant man's purpose, "I too am here because I'd heard rumors of the Red Hand stirring again..."

The young man with the disturbing agrarian repertoire looks suddenly downcast. Fren makes a mental note of the young man's distress.

Don the Bastard
2009-08-20, 12:41 AM
"Red 'and eh? Wassat then? I often got red 'ands from workin' to 'ard an' I 'eard 'bout the black spot too, nasty business that" she looks down at her hand, brushing it off lightly as if it was dirty.

Leliel
2009-08-20, 10:46 AM
A look of disbelief comes over Math's face. "I'm from the exact center of BF nowhere, and I could tell at least who the Red Hand Clan was!"

*Sigh* "The Tribe Of The Red Hand was a predominantly hobgoblin order of Tiamat worshippers. They were led by a half-dragon (don't ask me how a hobgoblin was able to survive sleeping with a chromatic, I don't know) named Azarr Kul."

"And that's the extent of my knowledge. Want to know why they attacked, ask these two."

Random NPC
2009-08-20, 09:48 PM
Ruath looks around himself. He has stayed quiet the whole time.

"I used to live here when the Red Hand came, but afterwards me and my family moved north. I just came back to see how my hometown has been doing."

He did not know about the troubles of the city, but his interest has picked.

Wow, busy week. Sorry guys!

Don the Bastard
2009-08-22, 06:09 PM
Van takes a big swig from her frothy mug of dark ale *Nice, very nice* she thinks the smooth sweet smokiness warming her to the bones "So this Red 'and problem, wassat, they been attackin' the town again or what? I ain't seen none of 'em while I bin 'ere, reckon you all come for nothin'"

Mad Hatter
2009-08-23, 09:43 AM
As the conversation expands, the waitress continues to move about the room, collecting empty glasses and bringing out fresh bread to the group of card players in the back who seem to be in a world all their own. The elderly lady has gathered enough wood for the fire pit in the middle of the room, and is striking flint against steel causing a spark that does not seem to want to catch against the wood chips.

Seeing the woman, struggle, the bartender furrows his brow a bit, but continues the banter, "Nah, I ain't heard of no trouble in Brindhol now a days, less you speak about the taxes bein' too damn high." Both the waitress and the elderly lady give the burly man a quick glance as they continue to work.

There comes a small lull in room and you each find a surrealistic second to take it all in: the sound of cards being laid against the hard wood and mumble about a bet; a drink being gulped down followed by a loud Ahh of refreshment; the old lady and her flint and steel that finally catches and brings forth a flame. A warm breeze rustles the windows outside, and the feeling of the cool draft before you filling your stomach begins to finally relax you all.

Leliel
2009-08-23, 11:51 AM
Something bad is going to happen, I know it...

Math begins to thumb his wand, more out of paranoia then anything else...but better to err on the side of caution.

Random NPC
2009-08-23, 01:35 PM
Ruath is suddenly lost in the ambient when something strike him as odd. He starts listening children at play, then it seems weird. It seems like.... Screams? He thinks.

He stands up and looks for a window to look out what's happening. His left hand is holding tightly his sword, ready to draw it out if needed. Ruath then decides to check outside the door and check to see what's going on outside.

Perception check [roll0]

Don the Bastard
2009-08-23, 08:09 PM
Van gulps down the last of her stout, "Marvelous" she says enthusiastically, she drops both feet to the ground and leans forward, banging the clay mug down on the table, as she does she hooks a foot under the hooked pulley and the end of her rope surepticiously, she has been in a few bar room brawls, a misunderstanding at the card table is usually the catalyst.

ES Sparky
2009-08-23, 08:13 PM
Fren's blood runs cold. What he'd assumed were the voices of children playing shrill strangely and bring back terrible memories in an instant. He nods at Ruath and accompanies him to the door.

Leliel
2009-08-23, 11:02 PM
(Quietly)"I knew something like this was going to happen."

He stands behind Ruath and Fren, and a flicker of his aura plays around his wand hand.

Hzurr
2009-08-25, 12:29 AM
Fyodor - Goliath Warlod

Fyodor's smile quickly fades as Math, Fren and Ruath move to the door. His hand also drifts to his sword hilt as he stands. "Is there problem?" he asks, glancing around the tavern, then out the window.

Perception check (no modifiers) [roll0]

Mad Hatter
2009-08-25, 07:39 AM
As you move to the window, Ruath, you can hear the screams becoming more clear. And, as you bend your head to down the street, a startling *thump* against the glass startles you (and the rest of the tavern), causing you to step backwards to examine. Most of the tavern is now looking to the windows where Ruath stands, and an eerie hush has come over everyone.

At first, it takes your eyes a moment to really adjust to see what it was that had landed against the window. The shrill scream of the waitress, though, confirmed what your stomach was fighting off. Streaking its way down the window, a bloodied hand leaves a macabre silhouette in the fading sun, and trail of blood against the window.

Before you can gather yourself to head for the door, the hinges explode inward as a large creature plows through sending woods splinters to the floor. Another of the creatures quickly follows the first through the doorway and lunges for the bartender, sending its blade dip into the man's mid section. The man howls, and tries to spin to defend himself, but the blade still strikes true.

From the back of the tavern, the sound of another door erupting can be heard, and three more of the creatures rush into the room. Two of the pointy eared, grimy creature head for the card table, flipping it with one hand, and slicing a the chest of the humans caught off guard. The third creature grabs a hold of the elderly woman by heard hair and sends her head into the nearby door frame, painting it red as she falls to the floor limp.

Full instinct has taken over for you now. The cool rush of the surprise has faded, and your thoughts are cleared.

INITIATIVE TIME!!

Don the Bastard
2009-08-25, 08:45 AM
Flicking her hair out of her face and cracking her knuckles Van' prepares to rumble.

"Vanilla" Jane Morton[roll0] - [7] with Fyodor's bonus

Edit: obviously with that roll the hair flicking and knuckle cracking took a couple of moments!!

Hzurr
2009-08-25, 08:55 AM
Fyodor - Goliath Warlord

Fyodor lets out a yell as he draws his sword, and prepares to move in

Initiative: [roll0]

(Also, all allies within 10 squares of me get a +2 to Initiative)

Random NPC
2009-08-25, 08:26 PM
Ruath grabs the sword by the hilt ready to be drawn. He examines the creatures, trying to get an idea of what are they.

Initiative [roll0]

Nature to determine what this guys are [roll1]

Leliel
2009-08-25, 10:16 PM
Math yells out a word in Primordial. Translation is hazy, but it's easy to tell that in Common, it has four letters.

His aura goes into full gear, subsuming the warlock into a dark mist as his wand primes.

[roll0]

I assume that's right. Haven't used the board's roll function before

ES Sparky
2009-08-29, 02:01 AM
Father Fren's mouth draws into a flat line and his bright cheery eyes harden. "Not again," he vows.

OOC: Rolling on Invisible Castle before I do a real search for both spoiler boxes and forum dice rollers. Init=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2230434/)

Update: Found both. Will reroll init if DM wishes.

Mad Hatter
2009-08-29, 08:48 AM
Round 1

Initiatives

Fyodor
Father Fren
Ruath
Math
Vanilla
Invaders

You each take just a second to draw forth a weapon to better defend yourselves against the assault; some use magic, others steel. Your eyes focus in on the creatures and the familiar chill of battle runs down your spine.

Ruath:
As you glance at the creatures before you, an easy identification of hobgoblin comes to mind long before the dank smell of the beasts. Your mind flips through some common knowledge on the monsters, and you remember from teaching long ago that these monsters travel in packs for various reasons.

With another startling grunt, the creatures surge once more at the patrons of the bar. Their blades slice quickly, leaving the waitress bent a the knees moaning in pain while her dress is staining with crimson. Seeing that the only resistance left in the room is the PCs, the creatures turn their attention to you all.

They begin grunting in low tones, and breathing short breathes in an obvious attempt to rattle you. They stay back for a moment, as if investigating each of you, and then they move in for their strike.

Two of the beasts manage to swing on Vanilla and Father Fren. Both attempts are wide untrained attacks, however, and their blades never come close to your skin. The rest of the pack moves closer to the group, still grunting lowly in an attempt to rattle the group.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ooc] Back on top of initiative !!!
Map for Round 2
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/cdcross/Tavernrd2.jpg

Hzurr
2009-08-30, 12:04 AM
Fyodor - Goliath Warlord

Fyodor's eyes open wide as he sees to blood pour from the waitress. Moving forward, he pulls out a small axe from a loop in his belt, and hurls it at the hobgoblin facing Father Fren. As he does so, he calls out to the others. "Ruath, Math, Wanilla! Make them pay for what they have done here!"

Move Action: Move 2 spaces to square G12
Minor Action: Draw HandAxe
Standard: Hammer Formation
- To Hit:
- Damage: [roll1]
- Effect (on a hit) All Allies within 3 squares (3 squares because of Resourceful Presence) deal 1[W] Extra Damage on weapon attacks made before the end of my next turn. So that's Ruath, Math, and Vanilla if I hit.

Edit 1:

Ugh. I'd forgotten that the roll mechanic messes up if you choose to preview the post before you post it. I've done the rolls again below, but if you (DM) would rather roll them yourself, I won't be offended.
attack: [roll]1d20+5
damage: 1d6+3

Edit 2:

OH COME ON! Please work you stupid dice roller. You may want to do these rolls for me, MadHatter

Edit 3:

Ok, here's the link to the rolling I did in the dice roll thread
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6829200&postcount=3

attack: (1d20+5)[7]
damage: (1d6+3)[9]

*sigh* What's the point in rolling max damage, if I only get a 7 on my to hit?

I'm assuming this means I missed.

Random NPC
2009-08-30, 02:17 AM
Ruath - Human Avenger

Ruath draws his sword, examines it and concentrates his fury on a hobgoblin in front of him. "It's time to finish this..." he thinks as he swears an oath of enmity on his prey.

And as swiftly as he finishing speaking the divine prayer, he charges at the hobgoblin near him, slashing him with as much precision as his Goddess will allow him.

Minor Action - Draw Falchion
Minor Action - Oath of Enmity on Hobgoblin on K9
Standard Action - Charge to K10

Attack Roll [roll0]
Attack Roll [roll1]

Take highest :smallwink:

Damage [roll2] If critical, add 8 to this result.
Extra Damage if Fyodor hits [roll3]

Leliel
2009-08-30, 10:07 AM
"Hey you! Catch!"

Math's aura flashes as one of the invaders has a bizarre pattern appear on his forehead. This is immediately followed by an orb of shadow streaking at it.

Warlocks Curse on Hobgoblin #2, then attack with Eldritch Blast

If hit: [roll]1d10+3 + 1d6

I give up. How am I supposed to make it roll again?

ES Sparky
2009-08-31, 01:06 PM
Father Fren's brow furrows and his mouth draws into a firm line. Heart aching to aid the fallen, more would die if did not step up. The grunting and yipping cries bring back bloody memories.

Three. Great Pelor. Three... right here. Where is the Captain? Captain...

Fren takes a step back and to his right, putting the fire on his immediate right and the table on his left. The fire's heat is a comfort, the light of Pelor Himself, captured and released by Melora's grace. The table is a comfort of its own, a wooden barrier between him and the light forsaken creatures.

His heart pounds and his palm is sweaty on the quarterstaff in his right hand. His left hand moves, shaking, to the holy symbol on his chest - a flaring sun.

"By the Holy Light, your evil deeds will..."

The priest's voice falters, eyes filled with doubt and anguish.

Move: Shift to F9
Standard: Sacred Flame, Wisdom vs Reflex
-- Roll (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2233426/) Attack roll 8, damage 6, 5 temporary HP to Vanilla if a hit (shyeah, right). Sorry for more invisible castle, I'm more comfortable with it. Also sorry for delay, have house guests and little leisure.

Don the Bastard
2009-08-31, 08:07 PM
Bar room brawls are not exactly unfamiliar to Van, she is still quite relaxed in the ruckus, still sitting at the table in fact, she stands to "address" the Hobgoblin that has interupted her drinking, she scoops up the mug "Oh" she says dejectedly "Tha's righ' I finished it, oh well" she flicks the heavy rigging rope up with her foot, catching it nonchalantly in her left hand, mostly as a distraction, then swings back her right arm, pottery mug still in hand, aiming for the Hobby's chin.

OOC:Mostly the above is just flavour text, what I'm actually doing is attacking with an improvised weapon, since I'm making this attack for cinematics rather than practicality I'm making the assumption that a clay mug is an off-hand weapon:
Standard Action: Sure strike using one handed improvised weapon Str+2 (+1 TT)[roll0]vs. AC for 1d4+2(TT) [roll1] damage also I'm aiming to knock out, not kill the targetShould the attack suceed in knocking the Hobgoblin out she will brazenly step over next to Father Fren, placing a boot up on the table and tipping it over for cover.

OOC:Move action:Moving to G10, Minor action: tip over table, figured it would be minor, takes a similar amount of time and concentration to open a door

Mad Hatter
2009-09-02, 10:42 AM
Round 2

Initiatives

Fyodor
Father Fren
Ruath
Math
Vanilla
Invaders

The goliath's words resonate through the tavern walls, but as he axe flies forward, you can all see it land only inches away from the creature it was intended to hit. The creature roar with excitement at the missed attempt.

Father Fren sides steps, an seems to take on the strength of teh fire that had grown in the fire pit. Summoning forth a holy light around his body, the man before you seems more like a god than any mortal as the creature closest to him erupts into flames. The creature howls before it realizes the flames did not touch his skin at all. It looks about to see no scars, and turns a sinister gaze back to you Father Fren; it's evil lips sneering.

Ruath rushes forward at the creature nearest the door. With one fulid motion, the blade in Ruath's hand flashes from his waist as it strikes at the creature. Anyone watching sees the creature's face twist in terror, but then relax instantly as it falls to the floor. The blood from the creature is quick to spread across the floor under it, and you can tell it died instantly.

Math's dark orb flies forward to the creature (changed to #1) and only slightly misses the large pointy ear on the side of the creature's head. The creature moves its head after the orb slams into the bar behind it, signifying its slow reaction time.

In a display of quickness, your confusing misdirection catches the creature off guard enough for the right hand to smash the mug and the chin. The creature welps softly as it buckles to the floor with a loud thump.

In a joint effort, the creatures howl and charge at you in an effort to regain control of the battle:

Math is the first to feel the bite of the creatures longsword as it take a chunk from you arm. 5 damage

Father Fren is the next as the creature dashes forward with its sword pointed at your sternum. Thankfully, the blade is deflected by your chainmail, but the scare was real enough to send adrenaline rushing through your veins.

Vanilla becomes the next target as the last of the creatures moves forward and slashes at her with its sword. The wicked blade catches your shoulder, sending a sharp pain through your neck as the blood is quick to form a stain on your shirt. 5 damage

As the creature move closer in on you all, you can hear the shouts of more monsters outside. From the front door, you can see 3 more of the large creatures rush into the room, calling out in a strange tongue. They spread out in front of the door, but you can make out another creature entering the tavern.

Screeching at the top of its lungs a smaller, darker-skinned creature with overly large, pointed ears enters the room with a torch in its hands. Its shrill voice bothers you all, but more bothersome is the way it flings the torch around teh room It cries out once more in a rough common, [colo=re]"Burn it down!!!"[/color]

With that, the small creature waves the torch once more, sending small flames licking to the ground, and then tosses the torch at the bottles of alcohol behind the bar area where the bloodied bartender's body lies. The bottles erupt into flames, sending small piece of glass shrapnel into the surrounding area.

Back on Top of the Inititave!!

OOC: Map for Rd 3

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/cdcross/Tavernrd3.png

Hzurr
2009-09-02, 11:24 AM
Fyodor - Goliath Warlord

Letting out a traditional Dwarven curse he once learned as his axe misses, Fyodor looks up only to repeat the curse again as he sees more creatures enter the bar. As he he readies his greatsword, he does a quick analysis of the situation, particularly the two Hobgoblins facing Math and Fren. With a challenging roar he steps forward and leaps across the table in front of him, coming down behind the hobgoblin that had sliced into the warlock, and takes a swing, slicing into the creature. Fyodor turns to face the newcomers, leaving himself open, but hopefully giving the warlock an opportunity for revenge on the offending hobgoblin.

Move Action, step forward and jump (step?) across the table to square H9
Athletics roll: (Using the powerful athlete racial ability to roll twice and take the better roll:
- [roll0]
- [roll1]

Attack: Using Brash Assult: [roll2]

Damage: [roll3]

On a hit or a miss, the target can make a melee basic attack against me with combat advantage, but if it does then one of my allies can make a basic attack (which if I'm reading correctly can be melee or ranged) against that target with combat advantage. I'll choose Math to make the attack.

Leliel
2009-09-02, 08:01 PM
"Why you...

Math literally curses the thug, sending out another Eldritch Blast at him, but not before moving enough to send his Shadow Walk into full gear.

Move to I8, then Eldritch blast again.

[roll0] Hope it hits this time.

1d10+1d6+3

ES Sparky
2009-09-02, 08:29 PM
The creature, emboldened by the cleric's doubt, swings. The blow lands and stars of shock swim before the cleric's eyes, but he finds fiimself otherwise unharmed. Heart thundering in his ears, all the cleric can manage is a quietly murmured "Moradin be praised." Thanks to the God of dwarves and the craft of earthen metals.

The fight flows to and fro, the remaining townsfolk take injuries from the invading creatures, but none too grievous. Fren hates to think of letting a deliberately inflicted wound go unministered for even a moment, but if times past were any indication, he knew to reserve his strength.

The door darkens again, "Mercy..." the creatures fan out and a strange, dark one amongst them shouts in broken common. "Burn it down."

Fren gasps as the torch tumbles end over end at the bar. "No!" An uncontrolled fire would endanger everyone... the town! He lunges around the creature before him without regard for the danger to himself, focused only on the glowing flicker from behind the bar.

He rushes towards the bar, thoughts spinning wildly...

A decade or so ago a wandering priest had taken shelter with the brothers at Fren's monastery in the mountains. He had paid for his stay by sharing a strange purification ritual learned in his many (and shamelessly embroidered to Fren's thinking) travels. It involved both the burning and, dubiously, the imbibing sanctified alcohol. 'Don't for*hic*get to have a jug of water handy if the flamesh get outta control. *hic* It dilutes the blessed nectar,' he'd cautioned them, owl-eyed and slurring.

Still, when they had (inevitably) attempted the purification ritual after the man had left, his caution had proven wise.

Move: Move to D4 (hopefully dodging the OA).
If the OA doesn't hit...
Waterwaterwater. Fren's eyes dart high and low for a barrel, a jug, any sort of water he can throw on the alcohol before the fire takes hold... Waterwater... Water!

Random NPC
2009-09-02, 09:46 PM
Ruath

Ruath looks at the small creature, "Burn it down!!!".

He looks at him, shakes his head and says. "I don't think so.", and as he charges, scarlet light surrounding him and protecting him. He moves as fast as he can, and at the end, unleashes all of his fury on the small goblin. A single smooth swing is all he needs.

He finishes by swearing in the name of Wee Jas, to kill the small being if he decides to run away. "The Scarlet Sorceress does not smile on the cowardly."

Lots of action here.

First charge to square K6 to attack Goblin 6

My AC against Opportunity attacks during the charge is 22 thanks to whirlwind charge

Whirlwind Charge - (1d20+9)[29] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6851526&postcount=9)

Damage - (4d4+20)[29] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6851541&postcount=10) That should kill him

Minor Action for Oath of Enmity to Goblin 6

If the Goblin decides to move, I'll have +5 Damage on him.

Don the Bastard
2009-09-03, 01:10 AM
Van looks down at her bloodied shirt "Well then" Vanilla says disgusted to the hobgoblin "I only jus' had this patched from las' time". Looking over at the bar she sees the now blazing bar "Tha' can't be good, someone save the rum!", she pretends to trip on her own rope, instead wrapping it around the Hobgoblins legs and "stumbles" over towards the bar, flicking out the other end of the rigging rope as she does.

OOC:Minor action: Wielding Spiked chain with both hands now, Move Action: Move to F10 (You get an AOO, but my AC and Ref are +1 thanks to 2-Weapon def.) Standard action: Dual Strike on Hobgoblins at F8 & D11 - @F8 Str. [roll0] vs. AC for [roll1] @D11 Str. [roll2] vs. AC for [roll3]

Mad Hatter
2009-09-07, 11:32 AM
Round 3

Initiatives

Fyodor
Father Fren
Ruath
Math
Vanilla
Hobgoblins

Fyodor clears the table the easly with his big frame and clobbers the hobgoblin on the other side, leaving its face mangled and crushed.

Father Fren, through divine luck, manages to dodge the assault from the hobgoblin as he slips by unharmed.

Ruath blazes forward, and with a fast swoop of his blade, sends the smaller goblin spinning backward to the floor dead.

Sensing Ruath's backside open now, Math's eldritch blast levels another Hobgoblin as it advances.

Vanilla moves quickly, striking at both the hobgoblins close at hand. The first shot lands solidly, sending the hobgoblin to the floor. The second, while you know was much weaker, manages to catch the hobgoblin in the right spot, dropping it like a sack of wet bread.

The remaining hobgoblins move forward angered and swinging wildly. Their feeble attacks fall well short, but you can hear more commotion coming from the back door. Stepping through the darkness, letting the fire light higlight their features, two more hobgoblins appear, gruniting and barking at the two other hobgoblins advancing.

Map:

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/cdcross/Tavernrd4.png

Sorry for the lack of detail this go around. I wanted to get this up to thwart any lags in the game

Leliel
2009-09-07, 09:22 PM
"Hmph! Only good for aura-fodder. We should probably leave one alive, though-interrogation fodder and all that."

With that, he quickly moves to behind the hob in front of Fyodar, and decides for a bit of variation, unleashing a spark of purple fire that quickly erupts into a real one.

Flank hobgoblin number 3, then Hellish Rebuke.

[roll0]

Hit: [roll1]

Just as a side note-how do I roll twice in a single post?

Hzurr
2009-09-08, 12:36 AM
Fyodor - Goliath Warlord

Giving a grin as the Hobgoblin falls, Fyodor turns to the one that moved next to him. He takes a swing, just as he notices the other two hobgoblins entering from the back. He frantically moves to cut them off before they reach the priest.

Attack: Viper's Strike
To Hit: [roll0] vs. AC (Hobgoblin 3)
Damage: [roll1]
Effect: Regardless of if I hit or not, if the Target Shifts before my next turn, it provokes an opportunity attack from the Warlock

Move Action: Moving 5 squares along the Diagonal to space C4, between the hobgoblins and Fren (Yes, I'm aware this provokes an Opportunity Attack from the Hobgoblin if it's not dead)

Minor: Snarl at the Hobgoblins :smallmad: <-- like that.

ES Sparky
2009-09-09, 06:17 PM
Father Fren winces as the new enemies appear, and right in his path. He grabs the bucket and spills it over the fire, hoping that it'd give him a little more time.

What rolls do you want for this? I have action points and summons for help and such planned for various degrees of success/failure.

Random NPC
2009-09-09, 11:41 PM
Ruath

Seeing everything around him dying as swiftly as they were, Ruath got more confident. He found himself filling up with pride. "Pride will bring us down."

He concentrated his pride on the Hobgoblin in front of him and released the fury of his Goddess, purifying his own hubris with the holy blade. Ruath will be ready if the Hobgoblin runs away.

Minor Action: Oath of Enmity on Hobgoblin 4
Standard Action: Bond of Pursuit - (1d20+7)[27] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6899178&postcount=11)
Damage - (2d4+12)[17] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6899184&postcount=12)

And if he survives and moves away, I'll shift 4 squares closer to him at the end of the hobbo's turn.

Don the Bastard
2009-09-10, 12:16 AM
Van swings the rope around her arms in a flourish and takes a step back, "'Ere goes nothin'" she rushes forward, leaping over the fire pit, landing with a roll on the other side she flicks out her arms at the intruders, the ropes uncoiling like rope twisters lashing out at the filthy greenskins.

Move action: F10 to E9 then Athletics [roll0] to jump the fire pit square to D8, finishing move to B5
Standard action: Dual strike on Hobgoblins at A3 [roll1] for [roll2] & -A5 [roll3] for [roll4]
Minor action: Cheeky wink at Fyodor.

Don the Bastard
2009-09-16, 10:31 PM
Ping! Ping!

Hzurr
2009-09-18, 09:16 AM
*takes off hat in respect for the dead*