PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Warrior Arena mk III, unofficial match

Eurus
2009-08-17, 05:41 PM
Arena (http://excessivefreetime.org/arena/arena3.html)

OOC:
Each character has time for one swift action and one standard action before getting transported to the arena, in case they need to adopt a stance or activate an item.

On the map, green is open terrain, yellow is difficult terrain, red/brown is the cliffs (10ft, Climb DC20, blocks LoS). Arena has a 60 foot ceiling.

Opening post should have an initiative roll and what, if anything you did with the 'surprise round' before being transported. After that, start fighting in initiative order.

[roll0]

Since this is an unofficial match, I figure we can keep the locations of our characters public to figure out line of sight and try not to metagame. Any actions that need to be kept secret, like readied actions, can go in spoilers. Place your character anywhere you like on the right side of the arena, I'll take the left.

Michael will start on Q-14 through R-15 (mounted on his griffon, Silvertide). Bow is drawn, and his surprise standard action will be to spend a turn attempt to activate Divine Shield for 7 rounds.

nefele
2009-08-17, 05:49 PM
OOC:
Basically, I'll roll for position, because starting position is mighty important, let me tell you! Also, your activating Divine Shield is something I don't need to know. :) Use spoiler tags for those. :)
Vertical Axis: [roll0]
Horizontal Axis: [roll1]

Initiative: [roll2]

Surprise Round
Swift action: activate Child of Shadow stance. Concealment (20% miss chance) Vs ranged and melee attacks. You ignore it via Improved Precise Shot, but the griffon needs to roll (I hope).

Eurus
2009-08-17, 05:51 PM
OOC: Alright. Doesn't matter much, as it's just a basic AC buff. :smallsmile: My initiative roll was eaten, apparently, so...

[roll0]

Not that it could possibly match your +33 modifier. Ah, Factotums... :smallwink:

nefele
2009-08-17, 05:59 PM
ROUND 1
I take it as read that I win initiative. I start at AA-22, right? Within LoS, and, if I'm not very much mistaken, out of reach for my speed.

First of all, I designate the Griffon for my Dodge feat. AC+1 for him only. Will keep it there until further notice.
Move action: 20 ft up and to V-29.
swift action: Law Devotion (+7) to AC. lasts for 10 rounds max.
Second thought again, yeah, we need to know such things, so that we know when we hit and when we don't. Sorry, brain fart.
Standard action:
ready action to move 40 ft up (right under the ceiling), if the griffon nears me at 10 ft.
In that case, Tumble [roll0] to avoid AoO.

nefele
2009-08-17, 06:01 PM
Forgot: Inspiration point to AC, another +6 for the round

Eurus
2009-08-17, 06:16 PM
Spotting his foe, Michael spurs Silvertide upward, prompting the griffon to loop around until he was back where he started, but now at the same elevation as the fey-girl. Quickly, he opens fire, gauging his target's defenses as a protective curtain of wind springs up around him.

OOC:
Silvertide flies up to 20 feet above the ground, the same as Moira. His maneuverability is only average, but with a fly speed of 80 feet he can easily climb that distance. Michael makes a full-round attack with Improved Rapid Shot. His Splitting bow causes each arrow to be duplicated, for 8 attacks total, each of which will only hit on a natural 20. The relic property of the Raptor Arrows he's using gives them the bane property for whatever he's shooting at, and causes them to return to him. Finally, he activates Air Devotion as a swift action, for a +4 sacred bonus to AC and 50% miss chance on ranged attacks against him. (Current AC 36)

[roll0]; [roll1]+[roll2]
[roll3]; [roll4]+[roll5]
[roll6]; [roll7]+[roll8]
[roll9]; [roll10]+[roll11]
[roll12]; [roll13]+[roll14]
[roll15]; [roll16]+[roll17]
[roll18]; [roll19]+[roll20]
[roll21]; [roll22]+[roll23]

EDIT: All miss. Your turn.

nefele
2009-08-17, 06:30 PM
ROUND 2
I'm assuming you hit on a nat 20 for this round, hence no attack bonus in the rolls, right?

The gloura smiles confidently as every arrow flies away from her, and promptly dashes forward.

My turn, Paladin!

Free action: Law Devotion to attack (I'm rash)
Move action: flyby attack (flying straight at ya) with tumble ([roll0])
Free action, immediately before the attack, draw short sword.
Flyby attack contains standard action: Sapphire Nightmare Blade, to Michael. Concentration check [roll1] (with 2nd inspiration point). If it beats your AC, you are flat-footed and I do +1d6 damage. Also, Iaijutsu Focus damage applies. Otherwise, I take -2 to attack.

Attack
I've moved 10ft, therefore I gain Cha to attack and damage (instead of dex) from Slippers of Battledancing. (+4 attack, +12 damage)
+2 Diamond Mind maneuver, weapon property.
+7 Law Devotion
[roll2]

Damage
Iaijutsu Focus skill check: [roll3]
[roll4]+11 fire + IF damage (which I will calculate later, in the next post)

After the attack, continue 10 ft North, end up to O-14. (Awesome, Your pet can reach me there, and squish me. I calculated something wrong there.:smalltongue:)

nefele
2009-08-17, 06:32 PM
cont.

Iaijutsu Focus damage: [roll0]
+[roll1] from Sapphire Nightmare blade (I forgot)

nefele
2009-08-17, 06:40 PM
I count 137 144 damage (+7 from Shadow Blade, because I'm in a Shadow Hand Stance), 11 of which is fire. Am I missing something? DR, immunities, some way to foil my attack?

(Yes, Iaijutsu Focus produces obscene damage. But it's very circumstantial. You can't survive a long battle with nothing else. You need to draw and immediately attack, usually it will be very difficult to re-sheathe your blade safely, and the opponent needs to be flat-footed somehow.)

:)

EDIT - Also, I have NO IDEA why I rolled a Tumble with a +42, when I have +27. It's an automatic success anyway of course, but I wonder.

Eurus
2009-08-17, 07:12 PM
Yeah, only a natural 20 would hit, so I didn't bother with the modifiers. And nope, no DR or fire resistance. Michael falls to -5. That's an effective tactic, whatever it is. Well, here's one last assault:

Silvertide pounces at her, but its hit modifier on a charge is only +37, so it only hits on a natural 20. It power attacks for 25 points, using Leap Attack to get +50 to damage (which seems odd, but I don't believe there's any rule preventing you from jumping while flying...) and Shock Trooper to take the penalty to AC instead.

[roll0]; [roll1]
[roll2]; [roll3]
[roll4]; [roll5]
[roll6]; [roll7]
[roll8]; [roll9]

EDIT: Nope, all misses. Oh well.

nefele
2009-08-17, 07:21 PM
which seems odd, but I don't believe there's any rule preventing you from jumping while flying...
Heh, that's funny. In fact, that's one of the questions I've sent to Lyndworm, I was wondering myself.

Sorry for the overkill (I kinda added every bonus I had handy for no apparent reason), I obviously wanted to test the build's limits. Also, about Leap Attack/Shock Trooper/Extra Freaking Awesome Power Attack, two words: Elusive Target. :smallwink:

EDIT

That's an effective tactic, whatever it is.
It's odd, I'll give you that. Have you seen Seven Samurai? Drawing a sword and dealing ridiculous damage is the whole point. Iaijutsu Focus skill gives extra damage depending on your skill check, as follows:
10–14: +1d6
15–19: +2d6
20–24: +3d6
25–29: +4d6
30–34: +5d6
35–39: +6d6
40–44: +7d6
45–49: +8d6
50+: +9d6 (maximum)

The Iaijutsu Master PrC allows you to add your Charisma bonus per die on top of that. Hence: obscene damage. Only trouble is the flat-footed part. Thank god for maneuvers, then. :)

Eurus
2009-08-17, 07:27 PM
Heh, add insult to injury why don't you. :smalltongue:

Anyway, good game. I don't have anything to prevent you from finishing off Michael and reducing Silvertide to an ordinary griffon, so I surrender.

EDIT: Ah, I see. Charisma bonus per damage die. Because that's not silly at all. :smalltongue:

nefele
2009-08-17, 07:32 PM
Heh, alright. I edited the above post - now you know the tactic.

Good game. :smallsmile:

EDIT- Silliness is pretty much guaranteed here. :smallwink: