PDA

View Full Version : Horribly Bad Science Fiction Movies

Zocelot
2009-08-17, 08:53 PM
So, next weekend I'm throwing a Science Party, with a bunch of science minded nerds. We decided that one of the things we'd like to do would be watch a science fiction movie, and rip it apart once we're done watching. However, I am sadly unlearnt about the grand failures of sci-fi, so I would like help. What would you suggest as a horrible science fiction movie. The movie itself doesn't have to be bad, but the science within has to be completely innacurate.

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-17, 08:55 PM
Space Mutiny of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 fame. It rips its models directly from the old version of Battlestar Galactica and culminates in what is essentially a high-speed golf cart chase.

Actually, on that note, the old version Battlestar Galactica is pretty cheesy too.

RTGoodman
2009-08-17, 08:56 PM
Flubber? Back to the Future? Evolution? I'd go with the last one because I remember it being actually a pretty funny movie, even if it's probably not even close to scientific.

Jimorian
2009-08-17, 08:59 PM
Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. A 400-ft-long shark leaps up and snatches a 747 at altitude out of the sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYRZ_-RXtk

:smalleek:

Roukon
2009-08-17, 09:09 PM
You could always go the easy way and do something from Star Trek or Star Wars. Or, really anything with any sort of FTL drive. Aside from that, I'm trying to think of recent movies I've seen that have bad science in them, but I'm too much of a movie fan to really rag on any of them too much. It's rare for me to not like a movie.

Innis Cabal
2009-08-17, 09:11 PM
Starship troopers.

Galaxy Quest

Ice Spiders

Berserk Monk
2009-08-17, 10:12 PM
Space Mutiny of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 fame. It rips its models directly from the old version of Battlestar Galactica and culminates in what is essentially a high-speed golf cart chase.

Actually, on that note, the old version Battlestar Galactica is pretty cheesy too.

Any MST3K movie for that matter. My pick from the episodes would be a horrible film by the name of Hobgoblins.

Flame of Anor
2009-08-17, 10:19 PM
Core.

Need I say more?

Starscream
2009-08-17, 10:26 PM
Both Space Mutiny and Hobgoblins are firmly in the "So bad they're good" category.

In fact, any episode of MST3K is fantastic.

If you want "So bad it just might kill you" try Battlefield Earth.

Tharivol123
2009-08-17, 10:31 PM
Alternatively, you could just try to find any SciFi channel original movie and show that.

Perenelle
2009-08-17, 10:51 PM
Alternatively, you could just try to find any SciFi channel original movie and show that.

I agree with that.
SciFi channel original movies can get pretty cheesy. :smallannoyed:

Coidzor
2009-08-17, 11:06 PM
Ice Pirates is actually so bad it's good.

Rutskarn
2009-08-17, 11:12 PM
I agree with that.
SciFi channel original movies can get pretty cheesy. :smallannoyed:

Said it before I can.

That Roanoke one with Adrian Paul is particularly vile.

LightWraith
2009-08-17, 11:17 PM
Said it before I can.

That Roanoke one with Adrian Paul is particularly vile.

Agreed as well... it has always amazed me how Sci-Fi has some great shows and absolutely terrible movies. They always show them on Saturdays if that's what you want to go with. Every Saturday usually has some kind of theme and then a bunch of those movies.

As an alternative... Plan 9 from Outer Space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space) is a classic.

V'icternus
2009-08-17, 11:54 PM
2001: A Space Oddysey can be pretty easy to tear appart. Especially when it's 2009.

Back to the Future II was set in 2010. So we've got one year to get hoverboards, flying cars and holograms before that's proven to be crazy. Good luck!

Berserk Monk
2009-08-18, 12:33 AM
How about that awful Hulk movie that came out several years ago. Not the recent Incredible Hulk film that came out little more than a year ago with Edward Norton and Liv Tyler, the abysmal Hulk movie.

Jacklu
2009-08-18, 01:33 AM
Sci-fi original movies... >.< There is a formula that they use for those.

1. Look at the last year's most popular movies and take that creature/idea to use.

2. Ancient evil [ripped idea] is let loose by science/magic/oil drillers.

3. Unlikely hero + friends + single hot girl must set out to stop them.

4. Special effect budget of $10.

5. Pay the actors to not act.

6. Hire a Baldwin brother (never Stephen. He is busy with movies that don't cost less then $100 dollars to make).

7. Hype!!!

8. ....

9. I would put profit here, but I very much doubt it. :smallsigh:

As to your actual question. Core or The Day After Tomorrow. Both have hilariously bad physics powering their plot.

Starscream
2009-08-18, 02:17 AM
Back to the Future II was set in 2010. So we've got one year to get hoverboards, flying cars and holograms before that's proven to be crazy. Good luck!

2015, actually. But I still doubt we're going to make it.

I'd settle for the shoes with "power laces", myself. Why the heck doesn't someone just make them?! I'll do it myself if I have to.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-18, 03:52 AM
I'd settle for the shoes with "power laces", myself. Why the heck doesn't someone just make them?! I'll do it myself if I have to.

Okay. Can I be an initial investor?

Castaras
2009-08-18, 03:55 AM
Plan nine: into outer space

I think that's the name, anyway.

Coidzor
2009-08-18, 03:59 AM
Plan nine: into outer space

I think that's the name, anyway.

You mean Plan Nine From Outer Space? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space) THat one is supposed to be pretty bad.

Mordokai
2009-08-18, 04:01 AM
Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. A 400-ft-long shark leaps up and snatches a 747 at altitude out of the sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYRZ_-RXtk

:smalleek:

That looks pretty awesome :smallbiggrin:

daggaz
2009-08-18, 04:10 AM
2001: A Space Oddysey can be pretty easy to tear appart. Especially when it's 2009.

Yeah...if you take Kubrik's film ok. The book is pretty hard sci-fi tho, you'ld have a hard time picking it apart. (the best part is NASA is now backing up his theory about life on Europa and is tentatively designing mission plans to explore the moon.)

Im suprised nobody has named this one yet, when I do, I am sorry but the thread is over.

Mission to Mars.

The. Worst. "Sci-Fi". Movie.

EVER.

Its so horribly bad, scientifically, plot wise, writing, acting, overused and abused tropes, you name it, its got it.

Its actually easily the worst movie ever period.

Coidzor
2009-08-18, 04:12 AM
Yeah...if you take Kubrik's film ok. The book is pretty hard sci-fi tho, you'ld have a hard time picking it apart. (the best part is NASA is now backing up his theory about life on Europa and is tentatively designing mission plans to explore the moon.)

Im suprised nobody has named this one yet, when I do, I am sorry but the thread is over.

Mission to Mars.

The. Worst. "Sci-Fi". Movie.

EVER.

Its so horribly bad, scientifically, plot wise, writing, acting, overused and abused tropes, you name it, its got it.

Its actually easily the worst movie ever period.
Is that the one where the face of cydonia eats people and is really just a secret pod to show humans how to follow their martian ancestors?

Or the one where mars is terraformed but not but in places but the robot goes psycho on them because they have a military robot and there are killer bugs.

Castaras
2009-08-18, 05:00 AM
You mean Plan Nine From Outer Space? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space) THat one is supposed to be pretty bad.

"Pretty bad", as in "In the running for the award of 'Worst film ever made'" :smalltongue:

and yes, that is the one I was thinking of.

FoE
2009-08-18, 05:05 AM

Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember, my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Coidzor
2009-08-18, 05:26 AM
Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember, my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Alely! ELy! Outer Space Fhtagn!

TRM
2009-08-18, 06:52 AM
That looks pretty awesome :smallbiggrin:
Super awesome! :smallbiggrin: Or when it bites the Golden Gate Bridge in half (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvciIVcn33c&feature=related).

This movie is not bad, people, it is the greatest cinema ever to grace the earth.

banjo1985
2009-08-18, 07:25 AM
Mega Shark versus Giant Octopus is so awful it's funny. Same with Evolution. Either would be a fine movie to start such a party with. :smallbiggrin:

Philistine
2009-08-18, 07:43 AM
So, next weekend I'm throwing a Science Party, with a bunch of science minded nerds. We decided that one of the things we'd like to do would be watch a science fiction movie, and rip it apart once we're done watching. However, I am sadly unlearnt about the grand failures of sci-fi, so I would like help. What would you suggest as a horrible science fiction movie. The movie itself doesn't have to be bad, but the science within has to be completely innacurate.

I'm surprised neither of these has been mentioned yet, but I suggest The Day After Tomorrow and/or Armageddon.

Innis Cabal
2009-08-18, 07:50 AM
Mostly because the later isn't specifcally a Sci-Fi movie, and the former is straining the term to breaking.

Knaight
2009-08-18, 08:01 AM
In theory its sci-fi. Why not do both of those, right in a row? It would be perfect.

Zweee
2009-08-18, 08:15 AM
Oh watch Enemy Mine.
It was awful.

Cyrion
2009-08-18, 08:42 AM
Jurassic Park- the movie may be highly entertaining, but the science is deeply flawed. And it gets worse the deeper you get into the series.

The Da Vinci Code- This time it's the math that takes a beating, but that's probably more in the book than the movie.

Jack Squat
2009-08-18, 08:59 AM
Jurassic Park- the movie may be highly entertaining, but the science is deeply flawed. And it gets worse the deeper you get into the series.

The Da Vinci Code- This time it's the math that takes a beating, but that's probably more in the book than the movie.

Does that make these qualify for "Horribly Bad"? They were well put together, entertaining movies that did extremely well in theaters. As opposed to The Man with the Screaming Brain.

smellie_hippie
2009-08-18, 09:14 AM
Cyborg with Jean Claude Van Damm

Johnny Mneumonic with Keanu Reeves

Hackers with Angelina Jolie

anything that has been MST-ed... but that already makes it good.

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-18, 09:18 AM
Johnny Mneumonic with Keanu Reeves

Oh god...the laser whip...the laser whip...

...as if having Henry Rollins as a street doc wasn't bad enough...

xPANCAKEx
2009-08-18, 09:22 AM
THIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_in_Space_(film))

oh dear oh dear

smellie_hippie
2009-08-18, 09:26 AM
Oh god...the laser whip...the laser whip...

...as if having Henry Rollins as a street doc wasn't bad enough...

and let's not forget Dolph Lundgren as the Street Preacher... :smallamused:

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-18, 09:28 AM
and let's not forget Dolph Lundgren as the Street Preacher... :smallamused:

Now you're just torturing me :smalltongue:

Mordokai
2009-08-18, 09:40 AM
Mega Shark versus Giant Octopus is so awful it's funny. Same with Evolution. Either would be a fine movie to start such a party with. :smallbiggrin:

Evolution is a great movie :smallbiggrin: But I ask the sanity of anybody that takes it seriously for even a second.

And yes, I did consider the possibilities for a second :smalltongue:

Ashen Lilies
2009-08-18, 09:42 AM
Is that the one where the face of cydonia eats people and is really just a secret pod to show humans how to follow their martian ancestors?

Or the one where mars is terraformed but not but in places but the robot goes psycho on them because they have a military robot and there are killer bugs.

The second one's called Red Planet, I think. It had Carrie-Anne Moss in it, right?

Umael
2009-08-18, 10:12 AM
I'm surprised neither of these has been mentioned yet, but I suggest The Day After Tomorrow and/or Armageddon.

Actually, The Day After Tomorrow was already suggested, but you beat me to Armageddon... Armageddon... *shudder*... you know that they show that movie at NASA to have the people there take it apart? Last I heard, there was something like 187 scientific mistakes to be found!

Also, good site to check out:

Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy: Bad Movies (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/index.html)

The guy is a professional astronomer who loves movies, but he also loves to take them apart from a scientific viewpoint. His site includes a list of movies and a bad/good critique of main scientific points that he notices.

Douglas
2009-08-18, 10:19 AM
Core.

Need I say more?
Is it "Core" or "The Core"?

Either way, seconded. It's one of the worst travesties of supposed "science" fiction movies ever made.

Flame of Anor
2009-08-18, 11:32 AM
I disagree with Jurassic Park and The Day After Tomorrow. The science is certainly flawed in both of them, but it's not ultra-super-flawed like in some movies mentioned here. Also, they are enjoyable movies with a little suspension of disbelief. And the Jurassic Park soundtrack is awesome.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-18, 11:50 AM
Ok, I'm assuming you want to enjoy yourself in the meantime?

Signs is the best. It's one of my favorite movies AND you can mock it mercilessly if you're into that.

blackouttwo
2009-08-18, 12:03 PM
Starship Troopers 1, 2, and 3.

I'm sure anyone who's read the book will agree with me on this.

xPANCAKEx
2009-08-18, 12:17 PM
Ok, I'm assuming you want to enjoy yourself in the meantime?

Signs is the best. It's one of my favorite movies AND you can mock it mercilessly if you're into that.

stronly disagree

yes - aliens invade a planet made of 70% water, which they happen to hate... good one mel gibson

Berserk Monk
2009-08-18, 01:19 PM
JThe Da Vinci Code- This time it's the math that takes a beating, but that's probably more in the book than the movie.

Yes. Stupid Dan Brown. Next time he plagiarizes something, he should plagiarize something good.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-18, 01:23 PM
stronly disagree

yes - aliens invade a planet made of 70% water, which they happen to hate... good one mel gibson
...which means you agree with my post.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-18, 01:32 PM
stronly disagree

They also mastered intergalactic travel, yet earth doorknobs remain an unsolvable mystery to them.

Player_Zero
2009-08-18, 01:36 PM
Galaxy Quest

I don't believe you know what a comedy movie is.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-18, 01:40 PM
I don't believe you know what a comedy movie is.

No. Tim Allan doesn't know what a comedy is.

Player_Zero
2009-08-18, 01:42 PM
I found it amusing.

It is a parody of bad sci-fi movies. Imitating the characteristic style for comic effect, you see.

Coidzor
2009-08-18, 01:49 PM
It was intentionally trying for so bad it's good.

But more came out so average it's meh.

Ravens_cry
2009-08-18, 02:13 PM
It was intentionally trying for so bad it's good.

But more came out so average it's meh.
I always thought it a few stripes higher then meh. And it's not trying to be so bad it's good, it's about actors from a show that's so bad it's good.
The remakes of the pod people are pretty darn bad, or so I heard. I only saw about 45 minutes into the one with Mr. Dorn.

truemane
2009-08-18, 02:14 PM
Wow, you guys are some rough markers.

I'll second Plan 9 From Outer Space. It is really, truly, and in all ways a horrible movie. In every possible fashion and by any possible criterion. The fact that it's also screamingly funny is completely irrelevant. It's BAD.

Now, you'll never find it, but if you can, check out Yor the Hunter From the Future (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q39f4YzK6sU&NR=1). Truly awful. Truly, truly, truly awful.

orchitect
2009-08-18, 06:14 PM
Oh watch Enemy Mine.
It was awful.

When you're a kid, its pretty darn cool. The birth seen always freaked me out though.

In a similar vein: The Last Starfighter. I think its a classic, but then again I also like Star Commander or whatever that movie was called.

A few other favourites of mine:

Devil Bat, The Crawling Eye (a b-movie classic!), Attack of the Killer Shrews (a drinking game could be made for this movie!) and, I think its called, The Rocks that Ate Everyone. Trust me, its much cooler than it sounds.

Coidzor
2009-08-18, 06:20 PM
Orchitect just reminded me of another sci-fi movie that had a wonky premise. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Soldiers)

Though, I guess it just goes to show, never forget the three(really over 9000) laws....

Jalor
2009-08-18, 06:41 PM
Robot Monster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Monster). It's biggest redeeming quality is that nobody will have heard of it because it's been overshadowed by Plan 9.

Philistine
2009-08-18, 07:30 PM
I disagree with Jurassic Park and The Day After Tomorrow. The science is certainly flawed in both of them, but it's not ultra-super-flawed like in some movies mentioned here. Also, they are enjoyable movies with a little suspension of disbelief. And the Jurassic Park soundtrack is awesome.
On the contrary, I would say that TDAT in particular betrays a profound lack of scientific understanding on the part of its writer(s); I for one found that during the course of the movie my disbelief became so heavy (due to ice accumulation?) that the suspension cables snapped, collapsing the entire edifice. And then I saw a newsmag review featuring a sidebar praising the film's scientific accuracy, which I found particularly galling.

JP had its own problems and may or may not have been "better," but at least it had ZOMG DINOSAURS!!! going for it. And a kickin' soundtrack, I do agree with you on that.

Anyway, the OP specifically stated that the movie or movies chosen need not be terrible as movies, only that they must contain terrible science.

Lord Seth
2009-08-18, 10:02 PM
The Da Vinci Code- This time it's the math that takes a beating, but that's probably more in the book than the movie.This is Dan Brown. He's the guy who thinks there's a such thing as a "Mandarin symbol."

FoE
2009-08-18, 11:24 PM
Did someone actually include Galaxy Quest on this list? BLASPHEMY! :smalleek:

And Jurassic Park ... sure, the science was bad, but ... were you guys watching a special "now with 90 per cent more boring" version? 'Cuz dat s*** was off da hook, yo.

I mean, if you had said The Lost World ...

toddex
2009-08-19, 01:23 AM

Seed people I dont need to say anymore.

Serpentine
2009-08-19, 02:31 AM
I loved Galaxy Quest, and I believe that any attempt and failure to adhere to true science was purely deliberate. Could still be good for these purposes, though *shrug*

Teenagers from Space! You can see that the skeletons are fake classroom ones, and the Big Bad Monster is a lobster.

The Core, as mentioned. My personal favourite: Disrupting the Earth's magnetic field will cause pigeons to crash into things. Because obviously they don't have EYES or anything. This one wasn't helped by the fact that I had several classes on the navigation abilities of pigeons and other animals just before watching the movie.

The old, old Day of the Triffids. Spoiler: They're beaten by WATER!

The Incredible Shrinking Man. Brilliant movie, and good for nitpicking the science.

UnChosenOne
2009-08-19, 02:47 AM
Starship Troopers 1, 2, and 3.

I'm sure anyone who's read the book will agree with me on this.

In the other hand you can't say that atleast 1st was extremely enjoyable with right mindset (Read: so bad that it's good) and 3rd did have that cathy nazipopsong...

TheThan
2009-08-19, 02:59 AM
off the top of my head:

Ice Pirates (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0GTevGPLy0)

now I'm off to bead. good night

Cyrion
2009-08-19, 09:15 AM
Yes, I agree that Jurassic Park was a very entertaining movie- and that's what makes it such a good candidate here. Great entertainment, but as someone else said about another movie- a profound misunderstanding of science. You'll be enjoying a rollicking film whilst tearing it apart.

Bhu
2009-08-20, 02:26 AM
I dunno if you can get them via Netflix, but Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (particularly seasons 2 and 3) are great fro bad scifi.

Lasers make plants explode

Radioactive Rabies viruses turn men into werewolves

Deep Sea pressure suits dont have gloves and are basically a padded diving suit with a helmet.

All aliens have mind control powers of some kind. All of them. The ones that look like brains have their psionics blocked by magnetic fields.

Submarines can fly and travel underwater with the same engines.

Mild radiation damage and burns can be completely healed with pills and rest.

Concentrated super fuels exposed to salt water and pressure turn into high explosives.

Janmorel
2009-08-20, 07:20 AM
The Godzilla Millennium series. Just... the Godzilla Millennium series.

Mx.Silver
2009-08-20, 09:43 AM
Galaxy Quest is far from a bad film. It's not a great science fiction as it's a 'pretender mistaken for the real thing' (can't be bothered finding the trope for that) comedy/Star Trek spoof, but as those style of comedies go it's one of the better offerings.

The Core is a decent enough suggestion, although there are rumours it may have intentionally tried to be as innaccurate as it was. I would also second Armeggeddon but I can't bring myself to describe it in a genre that involved the word 'science' without feeling physically unwell. I'm not really much of a 'bad film buff' though so I can't offer a lot of suggestions.

Athaniar
2009-08-20, 11:06 AM

I've seen the second one, and the first one sounds interesting.

Anyway, the Star Wars films are (probably) not the most scientifically accurate of sci-fi films. I think most people prefer to call them space fantasy.

blackouttwo
2009-08-20, 12:59 PM
In the other hand you can't say that atleast 1st was extremely enjoyable with right mindset (Read: so bad that it's good) and 3rd did have that cathy nazipopsong...

The 2nd movie was awful incarnate, though. And if these guys have read the book...well, let's just say I experienced some serious nerdrage upon viewing it when I was 10(Yes, I had read the book by then). Not to mention overwhelming facepalming upon discovering Rico enlists with the military over a high school crush.

No, really.

Bhu
2009-08-21, 05:57 AM
The Godzilla Millennium series. Just... the Godzilla Millennium series.

The Black Hole cannon was particularly wtf...

UnChosenOne
2009-08-21, 06:58 AM
The 2nd movie was awful incarnate,

Second movie? I've managed to watch it in internet once. And realy when you are speaking about ST-movie you must think it as parody/satire of the genre, not as movie versio of ST.

And yeah about bad SF-movies (and othervice horrible): I've one advice watch both ST2 and Transmorphers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKvjQg66gTA) (mockbuster version of Transformers)...

Korith
2009-08-21, 07:32 AM
From "the book was better" category, the 1984 edition of Dune is a fun choice.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're going beyond PG rated stuff, there's Zardoz....

Berserk Monk
2009-08-21, 09:30 PM
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. Aside from the fact Santa does not conquer anyone, let alone an alien life form, the movie has a comic relief character that's as annoying as Jar Jar Binx.

Froogleyboy
2009-08-21, 10:06 PM
Star Wars.

*snap* oh no you didn't

LightWraith
2009-08-21, 10:35 PM
Finally found the site I was looking for.

Note: Most of these movies are going to be both terrible and feature terrible science. I've seen a few of them and the reviewer is pretty much spot on. He's also pretty funny, so it is a good way to waste a few hours.

Badmovies.org (http://www.badmovies.org/movies/)

Some of these movies you will have heard of... some you won't... some you will probably curse this guy's name for having learned of. He usually at least warns you to not actually watch those though.

Hylleddin
2009-08-22, 02:26 AM
No one's mentioned Independence Day? I mean, it's famous for this sort of thing. And a pretty good non-serious adventure flick.

FoE
2009-08-22, 05:05 PM
I think we should limit this thread to films that were bad in addition to having bad science. I mean, the original Star Wars movies have scads of bad science, but they're not bad films. (Note that I said "original" and not "prequels.")

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-22, 05:07 PM
Or should be specified to ''Good films with bad science'' which is what I think the OP wanted.