PDA

View Full Version : Updated My Monk Fix

ondonaflash
2009-08-18, 01:48 AM
Working on a Monk Fix, made a few changes from what I had, would like tips on where to proceed from here. Any glaring issues, or omissions please point out. I have not added the monk table, but as it stands flurry of blows follows the same rules, only applied to a full base attack bonus.

I'd also like to condense Heavenly Speed and Fast Movement, so that its progressive by level.

Monk
Alignment: Any Lawful
Hit Dice: d8

Class Skills

The monk’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level

(4 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level

4 + Int modifier.

Base attack: 1:1 (Flurry modified Accordingly)

Saving Throws: Same

Special Abilities:
AC Bonus: Monk adds his wisdom modifier to his AC, some restrictions apply. Increases by +1 at level three, and then gains an additional +1 every three levels.

Spiritual Strength: Starting at level 1, The monk adds his wisdom modifier Str, Dex, and Con as a bonus. This does not combine with spells, instead the higher bonus is used. This ability is affected by Owl's Wisdom.

*Edited*Weapon Finesse:Level 1 bonus feat; The Monk may use her Dexterity bonus instead of her Strength bonus when making attack rolls with Monk weapons, and when making damage rolls with Monk weapons.*Edited*

Flurry of Blows: Adjusted to fit with the new base attack bonus.

Greater Flurry of Blows: When a monk reaches 11th level, his flurry of blows ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack he gets from flurry of blows, he gets a second extra attack at his full base attack bonus.

Unarmed Strike: At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with his hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply his full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all his unarmed strikes.

Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on his attack roll. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, a monk may select either Improved Grapple or Stunning Fist as a bonus feat. At 2nd level, he may select either Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat. At 6th level, he may select either Improved Disarm or Improved Trip as a bonus feat. A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Evasion

Fast Movement: Now stacks with haste, and doesn't crap out until heavy load, rather than medium.

Still Mind: A monk of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment. This bonus repeats every additional three levels.

Hand Blade Strike, Piercing Thrust, Punch (Ex)- Starting at level 3 a monk can make an attack which overcomes immunities to specific weapon types (Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing).

Ki Strike:
Charged Ki- At level 5 the monk can imbue his attacks with an elemental property from Fire, Ice, or Shock, this element is chosen upon leveling and once selected cannot be changed, summoning up this ability is a move action but does not provoke and attack of opportunity. this is treated as a spell for purposes of dispelling and disjunction, there is no set duration but the monk may dispel it at will, it will also be dispelled if the monk loses consciousness.

Penetrating Ki- At level 7 his attacks act as magic weapons to overcome damage immunities, as well as Cold Iron, or Alchemical Silver.

Ordered Ki- At level 9, his fists gain the Axiomatic weapon enhancement.

Super Charged Ki- Upon reaching level 10 the monk's charged Ki begins acting like a burst weapon.

Hardened Ki- By level 11 monks are able to overcome hardness, gaining weapon properties identical to those of Adamantine.

Slow Fall: Acts as feather fall, so long as there is a wall nearby.

Purity of Body: Same

Combat Dance (Ex): Starting at level four, as a standard action the monk may begin moving in a confusing flowing motion that makes them difficult to track and hit. Physical attacks against you take a 20% miss chance, which stacks with any other such bonuses. this technique is difficult to maintain though, and once the monk has been hit they are forced out of the dance and lose their special defense.

At level 10 the monk may take a day of meditation, afterward the ability acts like a burst weapon of the same element.

Wholeness Of Body: Acts the same.

Disable Chakra (Ex): By level 8 the monk has learned enough about the humanoid body to disable the specific points on the ki line, which, among other things allow Spellcasting. As a touch attack the monk can disable those chakras, rendering the individual in question paralyzed, and if said individual is a spellcaster, completely incapable of drawing upon magic. These effects are permanent unless a Heal spell or Greater Restoration is cast on the target. This technique provokes attacks of opportunity, and may require a concentration saving throw if the enemy's attack lands.

Improved Evasion: Same

Diamond Soul: Same, may be suppressed in order to gain beneficial magical effects.

*Edited*Heavenly Speed:The monk can move so swiftly, that he can move at impossible speed, moving up to 20 squares as a move action, becoming impossible to follow with an untrained eye. If this move ends adjacent to an enemy the monk may take an attack of opportunity against that foe, this act must be utilized after a standard attack, not before. Moving through threatened squares while moving at heavenly speed does not trigger attacks of opportunity.*edited*

Quivering Palm: Starting at 15th level, a monk can set up vibrations within the body of another creature that can thereafter be fatal if the monk so desires. She can use this quivering palm attack only on an opponent who is unable to defend himself effectively from his attack. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be affected. Otherwise, if the monk strikes successfully and the target takes damage from the blow, the quivering palm attack succeeds. Thereafter the monk can try to slay the victim at any later time, as long as the attempt is made within a number of days equal to her monk level.

Empty Body (Su) At 17th level, a monk gains the ability to assume an ethereal state for 1 minute per monk level per day, as though using the spell etherealness. He may go ethereal on a number of different occasions during any single day, as long as the total number of rounds spent in an ethereal state does not exceed his monk level.

Timeless Body (Ex) Upon attaining 19th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when his time is up.

With your help I'll make this class worth playing in no time.

Origomar
2009-08-18, 02:05 AM
i would look at the other monk fix thread thats in the homebrew section.

Dienekes
2009-08-18, 07:58 AM
Firstly, let me ask you to create a table, it makes viewing so much easier. Though your format wasn't terrible.

Now onto the class

AC Bonus= good. Getting Wisdom AC at level 1 helps him against the likes of Fighters at earlier levels.

Spiritual Strength= wording is poor, I honestly have no idea what this ability does.

Weapon Finesse= doesn't work this way. Weapon Finesse has never added damage via Dexterity. If you want it to, I'd suggest giving it a different name.

Evasion= When does he get it? Level 1? That first level is starting to look very crowded with 3 feats and 2 good abilities.

Charged ki= Does it do anything other than saying the attack is like some element? If there is no additional bonuses then it would be pretty weak seeing they can only pick 1 type.

Combat Dance= how does this work as a burst weapon?

Disable Chakra= I would argue that this is too good. A no save touch attack that almost permanently gets rid of an opponent, whenever he wants. Also what's the Concentration check equal to?

Heavenly Speed= when do we get this ability whose balance I am not sure of?

Quivering Palm= no saves? Infinite times per day?

ondonaflash
2009-08-18, 02:27 PM
Firstly, let me ask you to create a table, it makes viewing so much easier. Though your format wasn't terrible.

Now onto the class

AC Bonus= good. Getting Wisdom AC at level 1 helps him against the likes of Fighters at earlier levels.

Spiritual Strength= wording is poor, I honestly have no idea what this ability does.

Weapon Finesse= doesn't work this way. Weapon Finesse has never added damage via Dexterity. If you want it to, I'd suggest giving it a different name.

Evasion= When does he get it? Level 1? That first level is starting to look very crowded with 3 feats and 2 good abilities.

Charged ki= Does it do anything other than saying the attack is like some element? If there is no additional bonuses then it would be pretty weak seeing they can only pick 1 type.

Combat Dance= how does this work as a burst weapon?

Disable Chakra= I would argue that this is too good. A no save touch attack that almost permanently gets rid of an opponent, whenever he wants. Also what's the Concentration check equal to?

Heavenly Speed= when do we get this ability whose balance I am not sure of?

Quivering Palm= no saves? Infinite times per day?

I hate it when people point out incoherency in my writing :smallannoyed:. I'll get to work on that table and rephrasing, find a way to combine Disable Chakra and Quivering Palm into one progressive system. Chakra touch: I'm not sure which saving throw it would trigger. Its a technique wherein the monk penetrates a vital pressure point with an attack and disrupts the flow of the body (or in scientific terms, screws up the nervous system of the target) I'm thinking maybe a reflex save to avoid, then a will save to attempt recovery at any point, maybe even a sustained will save to keep moving or fall to the ground crippled unless he gets that heal spell cast. If you've ever read RA Salvatores The Highwayman, it has a similar kind of concept.