PDA

View Full Version : character type test?

almightyk
2009-08-18, 05:57 AM
hey just wondering if there was a test or something to help work out what kind of character (race, class, etc) i would be best playing as?

Farlion
2009-08-18, 06:00 AM
It's called the:

What would I like to play test

1. think about what you want to play
2. think about what class might suit you
3. think about what race might suit you
4. decide if this works together
5a. if it doesn't fit, go to step one
5b. if it fits: play it!

Cheers,
Farlion

P.S: Why do people always want programs to do the "hard work" for them? :smallconfused:

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-18, 06:06 AM
P.S: Why do people always want programs to do the "hard work" for them? :smallconfused:

There's nothing wrong with using a tool for stuff like this. Some people like to have a random element to the decision or work with what they're given. Sometimes people are just stuck for ideas.

Gorbash
2009-08-18, 06:15 AM
It's a game! How can a program help you decide what you'd be best playing as?!

It's like asking for a program which ice cream flavor do you feel like eating the most at the moment...

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-18, 06:18 AM
It's a game! How can a program help you decide what you'd be best playing as?!

It's like asking for a program which ice cream flavor do you feel like eating the most at the moment...

In WFRP you're supposed to roll entirely randomly for a character class, gaining a choice of three arbitrarily selected possibilities.

Using a programme is something like that. Why on earth do you have a problem with someone using what is, for all intents and purposes, a toy to choose what they're going to try and play? Or what flavour ice cream they're going to eat, for that matter.

Edit: This actually really annoys me. Just say the OP is not very familiar with the system. If he gets a test that says, "Do you like hitting things?" or "Do you like being clever?" it could very well be useful in determining the role he'd most enjoy filling for the party. I'm amazed you would get on someone's back for deciding to do this.

ShadowFighter15
2009-08-18, 06:33 AM
And as Sharikov said in his first post; some people can just be stuck for ideas. I haven't had that problem yet - still being something of a newbie to D&D - but I think I'm getting close; I only have one concept I've yet to use and after that, I'm stumped.

almightyk
2009-08-18, 06:33 AM
This actually really annoys me. Just say the OP is not very familiar with the system. If he gets a test that says, "Do you like hitting things?" or "Do you like being clever?" it could very well be useful in determining the role he'd most enjoy filling for the party. I'm amazed you would get on someone's back for deciding to do this.

thank you thats what i mean
just i test with different scenarios and asks what you would most likely do in that situation
just to say what you would be best suited for

J.Gellert
2009-08-18, 06:41 AM
Just googling it...
http://fantasyherald.com/quiz/dand/index.php

I remember I liked the test at the beginning of Vampire: Bloodlines CRPG. It gave you a clan and assigned your skill points at the same time :smallsmile: I wonder if there's a 3.5 test that would pick you a race, class, skills and feats.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-18, 06:42 AM
A quick google turned up this (http://fantasyherald.com/quiz/dand/index.php). If you fill it in from the perspective of what you want to play it'll give you a suggestion.

However, I'm going to say that unless you appreciate the random element of character generation inherent in such things you might well do better asking a more experienced player for a rundown of the classes and class roles and deciding from there.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Gorbash
2009-08-18, 10:01 AM
Using a programme is something like that. Why on earth do you have a problem with someone using what is, for all intents and purposes, a toy to choose what they're going to try and play? Or what flavour ice cream they're going to eat, for that matter.

Edit: This actually really annoys me. Just say the OP is not very familiar with the system. If he gets a test that says, "Do you like hitting things?" or "Do you like being clever?" it could very well be useful in determining the role he'd most enjoy filling for the party. I'm amazed you would get on someone's back for deciding to do this.

You really need a program to tell the difference between a fighter and a wizard? It's not like the base classes are very similar to one another and you need any game knowledge to tell the difference between the two. Fighter fights, wizard cast spells, it's pretty self-explanatory.

Vortling
2009-08-18, 10:16 AM
To the OP: You're best off asking someone who knows the system your playing, rather than an internet test as they can adjust their questions based off your responses to narrow down what sort of classes you'd like to play. They'll also have a more dynamic set of class suggestions for you based off their play experience.

erikun
2009-08-18, 05:00 PM
You really need a program to tell the difference between a fighter and a wizard?
No, but having a program to tell the difference between a wizard, a warlock, a sorcerer, a spellthief, an archivist, a cloistered cleric, a psion, a wilder, and an erudite would be useful.

Some people may not be aware of the various choices available. Some people may not be aware of what you can do with the various choices. Some people may just feel like choosing something randomly, or curiousity at what the program comes up with. Some people may hear the words "monk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk)" and "druid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druid)" and assume a literal definition, not quite sure what exactly these classes really do.