PDA

View Full Version : Movies about angels

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-18, 07:31 AM
Was curious, what are some good films based on angels are there?

And I don't mean like Angels in the Outfield or Touched By An Angel: The Movie. Something more like angels battling demons, or angels trying to help out mankind in someway to protect them from some evil source, etc.

Saw Gabriel recently, but that movie stunk. And don't even mention Meet Joe Black... *shudders*

Any others that 'are' worth watching?

kamikasei
2009-08-18, 07:36 AM
"The Prophecy" is crap but entertaining. Christopher Walken as Gabriel? Viggo Mortensen as Lucifer? How did that turn out badly? And apparently it has a great many sequels.

"Neverwhere" (not a movie, but a miniseries") features an angel. I've only read the book, though, so I can't attest to the portrayal.

There's "Constantine", of course.

Eldan
2009-08-18, 07:37 AM
"Dogma", if that counts. I thought it was entertaining, some people I know don't.

Innis Cabal
2009-08-18, 07:48 AM
How has city of Angels not been mentioned?

kamikasei
2009-08-18, 07:51 AM

It doesn't seem to fit the OP's criteria. If the director's cut features Nick Cage breaking out the wings and flaming sword and smiting demons, I'd be delighted to hear it...

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-18, 07:54 AM
That's ok. any decent one about them is fine, though in particular looking for more action-based ones. Seems every year we have some thriller about hell or demons... just wanting to see what the flipside is like without getting gooshy.

Then again, you have movies like Gabriel where the difference between demons and angels is like in D&D... i.e. nothing much at all. Just opposite sides intending on beating the crap out of each other, and both being complete *censoreds*.

Telonius
2009-08-18, 08:14 AM
This one really has me stumped. I can't think of a single one in Western film. The closest thing I'm coming up with is Dark Crystal, which isn't really a good fit. (I'm going to say that Lord of the Rings doesn't count - while Gandalf is technically Middle Earth's equivalent of an angel, they don't make a big deal about that, or even mention it, in the movie).

I'm sure there are some anime examples of it, but I'm not very familiar with the genre.

Amiel
2009-08-18, 08:58 AM
Apparently, Legion (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/legion/) will be coming out early next year.
That may be up your alley; dunno if it's going to be good or not though, although it does look spiffy.

Sadly, there seems to be a tendency for films and tv serials to portray supernatural creatures as (inconveniently) weak.

Seonor
2009-08-18, 09:10 AM

If you liked that, the original Himmel über Berlin (Wings of Desire was the american title, I think) is also good.

Dienekes
2009-08-18, 09:11 AM
Sorry to say cinema hasn't been too kind to action celestials.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-18, 09:22 AM
Nope. The Supernatural television show is probably the best I've seen... and even that is annoying. Angels are just shiny demons generally. You can tell the ones that aren't cuz they sleep with the main character.

Athaniar
2009-08-18, 04:11 PM
One episode of Xena did have angels fighting demons, although that episode was pretty weird.

Kizara
2009-08-18, 04:24 PM
Aside from Constantine (already mentioned) I can't think of anything ethier.

Which is unfortunate, cause this is one of my favorite subject matters as well; I've had 4 long-running characters that were part celestial, and I want to play an actual Solar sometime soon (the character concept is that she has taken a pilgrimage to the mortal world to atone for the sins of another (sort of like a real-life Christian symbol I suppose, although little else similar in personality or plotline) and starts at level 1 and has to regain her former glory, I got a 22-level class made up and everything).

orchitect
2009-08-18, 04:38 PM
John Travolta's Michael is IMO the greatest angel movie ever. It has great acting, a good story, and a cute dog. :smallsmile:

Haruki-kun
2009-08-18, 06:37 PM

Indeed, it hasn't. :smallannoyed:

I've been looking for pretty much anything like this for a while, but there's really not much that satisfies my needs.

If you wait a couple of years, though, I promise I'll make one. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Even in Anime I've been unable to find anything. :smallsigh:

RTGoodman
2009-08-18, 06:44 PM
John Travolta's Michael is IMO the greatest angel movie ever. It has great acting, a good story, and a cute dog. :smallsmile:

And, unfortunately, John Travolta.

I've been wracking my brain to think of some, but the upcoming "Legion" that Amiel mentioned and Constantine are the only ones I can think of.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-18, 09:24 PM
The only film that comes to mind is Constantine.

Blackjackg
2009-08-18, 09:29 PM
I'll second "Der Himmel Uber Berlin" (English title: "Wings of Desire.") It's wonderful. The American remake, City of Angels, is not nearly as good.

The TV miniseries "Angels in America," was supposed to be pretty good. I loved the play it was based on.

Those are the only ones that spring to mind just now. Well, maybe "All Dogs Go To Heaven."

JMobius
2009-08-20, 03:07 PM
I saw the trailer for "Legion" when I went to see District 9 last night.

Ugh.

Its likely they managed to simultaneously invoke every relevant trope that I hate at the same time.

Kyouhen
2009-08-20, 03:19 PM
I saw the trailer for "Legion" when I went to see District 9 last night.

Ugh.

Its likely they managed to simultaneously invoke every relevant trope that I hate at the same time.

True, but on the other hand it has angels as the bad guys. As long as it's nice and actiony that's all I really need from it. Angels running around beating things up is exactly what we're looking for in this thread, isn't it? :smalltongue:

Tannhaeuser
2009-08-20, 04:03 PM
There are some older movies dealing with Heavenly beings, even if the angels aren't generally the winged, Smite Evil St. Michael types that seem to be what you have in mind. Cary Grant plays a pretty cool angel named Dudley in The Bishop's Wife, though I don't really approve of him falling in love with Loretta Young. (Still, it's a hundred times better than Nelson Eddy falling in love with celestial Jeanette MacDonald in the self-explanatory I Married an Angel.) Claude Rains played the eponymous angel in Here Comes Mr. Jordan (which also features the ever dithering Edward Everett Horton as Angelic Messenger 7013); Rains would return a few years later on the opposite side of the abyss as the devil Nick in Angel on My Shoulder. (James Mason replaced Rains in the 1978 remake, Heaven Can Wait, and Chazz Palmieri did the same in 2001's Down to Earth.) A somewhat similar film featuring a number of celestial beings is a British film, A Matter of Life and Death (US title, Stairway to Heaven); Joan Maude is the magesterial Chief Recorder, and Marius Goring is a French-accented Conductor 71. Of course, one of the best loved and remembered cinematic angels was Henry Travers as Clarence Oddbody, AS2 (Angel, Second Class) in It's a Wonderful Life. None of these angels is exactly an ass-kicker, but I must admit I would have liked to have seen Cary Grant with a fiery sword and a twelve-foot wingspan kicking some diabolical tail. Alas! It was not to be.

FoE
2009-08-20, 08:57 PM

Isn't that a comedy?

Personally, I think Supernatural is the best source for hot angel on demon action. No, not that kind of action ... well, unless you count Dean Winchester's unholy powers of seduction.

Haruki-kun
2009-08-20, 09:08 PM
Isn't that a comedy?

.......... :smallconfused:

As much as Romeo and Juliet is....

FoE
2009-08-20, 09:10 PM
.......... :smallconfused:

As much as Romeo and Juliet is....

Well, I heard it was about an angel giving up his immortality for a mortal woman who dies immediately afterwards. The description sure gave me a good laugh. :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-20, 09:11 PM
Naw, not wanting SMITING movies per se. Actually, maybe not at all as I've said angels just seem to be portrayed as shinier bad guys.

Just angel-based action movies.

kpenguin
2009-08-20, 09:23 PM
This thread makes me want a Good Omens movie badly.

McBish
2009-08-20, 10:56 PM
"Neverwhere" (not a movie, but a miniseries") features an angel. I've only read the book, though, so I can't attest to the portrayal.

They made a miniseries? I want to see. Anyone know if it is any good?

Random NPC
2009-08-20, 11:01 PM
They made a miniseries? I want to see. Anyone know if it is any good?

The book was based on the miniseries. And for being incredibly low budget, the mini is awesome. Then again, Gaiman could take a dump and write a poem(about the eldritch horror that created said dump) on it and I'll drool over it.

SDF
2009-08-20, 11:37 PM
THE CROW

No excuse for that movie not to have been mentioned.

There was also that Robin Williams movie What Dreams May Come but I'm not really sure that is the kind of thing you are looking for. Also, despite it's lack of an angelic character (unless you count unicorns) Legend had the coolest demon I can recall.

Serpentine
2009-08-21, 03:37 AM
I HAVE ONE I HAVE ONE I HAVE ONE I HAVE ONE! :biggrin:

Okay, it's not an action movie, more sorta drama... But Angel-A. Has a 6ft platinum blonde angel and the small man with a gimpy arm from Amelie and Asterix and Obelix and Cleopatra. French. I really enjoyed it, and I suspect you would too, VT.

FoE
2009-08-21, 03:41 AM
THE CROW

'Cuz he's not an angel! He's a revenant.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-21, 02:18 PM
We need to start the petition for a good omens movie. Right now!

pita
2009-08-21, 03:50 PM
We need to start the petition for a good omens movie. Right now!
It's in development hell. Terry Gilliam is directing it.

JabberwockySupafly
2009-08-25, 08:32 AM
It's in development hell. Terry Gilliam is directing it.

I actually asked Sir Pratchett about this movie when he came down under a few years ago, and actually, Gilliam isn't directing it due to the fact he no longer works for the studio who initially purchased the rights to the film. It's one of the main reasons it remained locked in Development Hell.

According to the Wiki though, he appears to have the rights to it himself now, and need a studio who is willing to fund the film... To Heck with a petition, boys & gels. Get your pitchforks & torches, It's Mobberin' Time!

Cheesegear
2009-08-25, 08:44 AM
It's not a movie...But Brimstone has daemons in it (And John Glover as the Devil :smallbiggrin:). It's like Reaper, but a lot less funny (if you believe Reaper is funny, that is), and a lot more darker.

EDIT: Turns out Brimstone can be found on YouTube...In YouTube quality, that is. :smalltongue: