PDA

View Full Version : Using Oversized Weapons

subject42
2009-08-18, 10:18 AM
Is there a feat that will let you use a large one handed weapon with two hands as a medium creature without penalty? According to the SRD you have to use two hands to wield it and take a -2 penalty to hit.

As usual, monkey grip does not apply.

I vaguely remember a thread about this, but search didn't help because of how general the terms are.

Mongoose87
2009-08-18, 10:20 AM
Strongarm Bracers are your friend. Check it out in the MiC.

Keld Denar
2009-08-18, 10:39 AM
Just curious, but why would you? I mean, for most 1handed weapons, there is a 2handed weapon that does increased damage of ~the same amount or more damage than a large version of a 2hander.

I mean, look at a long sword. Its 19-20 1d8. A large one would be 19-20 1d10. A great sword is 19-20 2d6. A club is 1d6, large its 1d8, a great club is 1d10. A rapier is 18-20 1d6, large it would be 18-20 1d8, while a falcheon is 18-20 2d4.

Just curious why? Other than possible flavor reasons.

And yea, Strong Arm Bracers would work, since they would allow you to treat a large 1handed weapon as a medium 1handed weapon, and you can almost always use both hands on a 1handed weapon (except rapiers).

subject42
2009-08-18, 11:01 AM
Just curious, but why would you? I mean, for most 1handed weapons, there is a 2handed weapon that does increased damage of ~the same amount or more damage than a large version of a 2hander.

I haven't found the 2h equivalent of a heavy mace. If there is one, that would work pretty well.

Ravens_cry
2009-08-18, 11:07 AM
I haven't found the 2h equivalent of a heavy mace. If there is one, that would work pretty well.
A mildly reflavoured greatclub?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm

Hunter Noventa
2009-08-18, 11:09 AM

There's the Warmace in Complete Warrior, 2h Martial, 1h Exotic, 1d12, -2AC because it's so heavy or something like that.

Keld Denar
2009-08-18, 11:11 AM
There is a warmace in CWarrior which is slightly better than a greatclub, except the idiot who wrote it decided for some reason to make it the only freakin weapon in the game that imposes a -1 to your AC when swinging it, because its "awkward". Its stats are pretty much on par with any other similar weapon, so there really isn't much reason for the penalty.

Cieyrin
2009-08-18, 01:09 PM
You could just as easily go for maul, which is martial, big and menacing, if you don't mind wielding a hammer for your bludgeoning needs and would prefer to not deal with a stupid AC penalty that shouldn't be there, anyways. Warmaces are basically the bludgeoning companions to bastard swords, dire picks and war axes, except unnecessarily gimped w/ the lame AC penalty. It does a tad more damage but has no special crit mod, which should balance it w/ the other 3, i would say.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Sanguine
2009-08-18, 01:12 PM
And if none of the above suits you play a Goliath.

subject42
2009-08-18, 01:25 PM
You could just as easily go for maul, which is martial, big and menacing.

Which book contains the maul? I only have the SRD site handy at the moment and it isn't in there.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-18, 01:30 PM
Strongarm Bracers are your friend. Check it out in the MiC.

MiC? Please to be explained? MY knowledge of D&D acronyms is not as great as others.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-18, 01:37 PM
MiC? Please to be explained? MY knowledge of D&D acronyms is not as great as others.

Magic Item Compendium. You could have just checked the Sticky at the top though.

Ravens_cry
2009-08-18, 01:46 PM
And if none of the above suits you play a Goliath.
If you were a Goliath (or other powerful build race) would Strong Arm Bracers stack so you could wield a Huge Weapon without penalty?

woodenbandman
2009-08-18, 02:18 PM
There's Always Titan Bloodline.

subject42
2009-08-18, 02:37 PM
I guess it might be better to ask this question.

Is there a two-handed bludgeoning martial weapon that's better than the greatclub?

ColdSepp
2009-08-18, 02:48 PM
If you were a Goliath (or other powerful build race) would Strong Arm Bracers stack so you could wield a Huge Weapon without penalty?

No, they state they do not stack with Powerful Build. They would stack with a Large Race, however.

Ravens_cry
2009-08-18, 02:56 PM
No, they state they do not stack with Powerful Build. They would stack with a Large Race, however. Thanks for the info. Too bad, huh? :smallsigh:

Kylarra
2009-08-18, 02:56 PM
I guess it might be better to ask this question.

Is there a two-handed bludgeoning martial weapon that's better than the greatclub?

CWar has the Maul which is the bludgeoning equivalent of a bastard sword (ie 2handed martial or 1handed exotic), for 1D10 x3 crit

Marginally better than a greatclub.

Eldariel
2009-08-18, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the info. Too bad, huh? :smallsigh:

Try Mountain Rage. It helps. Though you can only efficiently wield your weapon when you're raging, but c'est la vie. Get a sizing weapon or something.

Keldin
2009-08-18, 07:44 PM
Half giants from the Expanded Psionics Handbook have powerful build, and in their description I believe it says the ability stacks with all other effects that let you wield bigger weapons.

I'd go with proficiency with a maul. Just out of curiosity why are you ruling out monkey grip?

Cieyrin
2009-08-18, 08:14 PM
CWar has the Maul which is the bludgeoning equivalent of a bastard sword (ie 2handed martial or 1handed exotic), for 1D10 x3 crit

Marginally better than a greatclub.

Not quite the equivalent of a bastard sword, as it doesn't have the 1-handed exotic clause, it's Martial 2-handed only. It is better than a greatclub, though, as it has the x3 crit. It is in Complete Warrior, as Kylarra said, same as the warmace and dire pick, which are the bastard sword equivalents.

EDIT:
Half giants from the Expanded Psionics Handbook have powerful build, and in their description I believe it says the ability stacks with all other effects that let you wield bigger weapons.

I'd go with proficiency with a maul. Just out of curiosity why are you ruling out monkey grip?

Half Giants still have Powerful Build, which doesn't stack with the armbands.

As for no Monkey Grip, he doesn't want the attack penalty, which was why he ruled it out.

Keldin
2009-08-18, 08:22 PM
I thought that the maul did have the 1 handed exotic clause in its write-up.

I'm not an expert like many of you seem to be, but really, at higher levels is the -2 penalty from Monkey Grip that bad? Couldn't you house rule in another feat or some such to remove it?

ColdSepp
2009-08-18, 08:22 PM

The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Only if the ability changes your size category. Strongarm Bracers specifically state they do not stack, and Monkey Grip doesn't change your size.

ColdSepp
2009-08-18, 08:26 PM
I thought that the maul did have the 1 handed exotic clause in its write-up.

I'm not an expert like many of you seem to be, but really, at higher levels is the -2 penalty from Monkey Grip that bad? Couldn't you house rule in another feat or some such to remove it?

You can do anything with house rules.

Monkey Grip is a trap. You take a -2 penalty constantly. The average increase in damage depends on weapon, but using a Greatsword as an example, you gain 3.5 extra damage. If you Power Attack for -2 you gain 4 extra damage.

And you can chose when you power attack.

Kylarra
2009-08-18, 08:34 PM
Not quite the equivalent of a bastard sword, as it doesn't have the 1-handed exotic clause, it's Martial 2-handed only. It is better than a greatclub, though, as it has the x3 crit. It is in Complete Warrior, as Kylarra said, same as the warmace and dire pick, which are the bastard sword equivalents.
It does have the 1handed clause. :smallwink:

A maul is too large to be used in one hand without special training (the appropriate Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat). A character can use a maul two-handed as a martial weapon.

Keld Denar
2009-08-18, 08:41 PM
A Greatclub actually becomes WAY better than any other weapon if you are a Cleric. Spikes (CDivine, HOURS PER LEVEL!!!!) makes your club a +2 weapon that also adds your CL to damage. If you can get a friendly arcane caster to drop a Greater Mighty Wallop (Races of the Dragon) on it, you are swinging a beatstick that does like, 6d6+14 by itself at around level 12, and thats before you add your Str from Divine Powah or any size increases from Righteous Might or even your PA damage. A little magic goes a LONG way!

Origomar
2009-08-18, 08:51 PM
i dont remember the thread but i remember someone saying there was a two handed mace that was 1d12 19-20 threat and x4 to crit. or something similar like that.

Kylarra
2009-08-18, 08:58 PM
i dont remember the thread but i remember someone saying there was a two handed mace that was 1d12 19-20 threat and x4 to crit. or something similar like that.Oh yeah, I always forget about the Greathorn Greathammer, which does have the stats of 1D12, 19-20/x4 crit, but required EWP and is only listed in MM4 with no cost, so you'd need to fluff an encounter with a minotaur to have acquired it.

Androgeus
2009-08-19, 10:23 AM
There is a warmace in CWarrior which is slightly better than a greatclub, except the idiot who wrote it decided for some reason to make it the only freakin weapon in the game that imposes a -1 to your AC when swinging it, because its "awkward". Its stats are pretty much on par with any other similar weapon, so there really isn't much reason for the penalty.

I think the reason it was given a -1 to ac is because it is a 1-handed weapon with 1d12 damage. Although I have to say that it should only have taken the ac penalty when it it was being wieled one handed if they where trying to balance it

deuxhero
2009-08-19, 10:29 AM
And yea, Strong Arm Bracers would work, since they would allow you to treat a large 1handed weapon as a medium 1handed weapon, and you can almost always use both hands on a 1handed weapon (except rapiers).

Hmm, does a bastard sword count as one handed or two handed for the purpose of the bracers.

Cieyrin
2009-08-19, 10:41 AM
It does have the 1handed clause. :smallwink:

Bah, stupid Realms Help failing to include all appropriate text. ><

ALSO:
Hmm, does a bastard sword count as one handed or two handed for the purpose of the bracers.

Bastard Sword counts as whatever you have proficiency you have to wield it, which the bracers don't really care about, as they only let you wield a weapon one size larger, so you can wield a large bastard sword w/ them but still require 2 hands unless you have the feat to wield it one-handed.

ColdSepp
2009-08-19, 11:35 AM
Oh yeah, I always forget about the Greathorn Greathammer, which does have the stats of 1D12, 19-20/x4 crit, but required EWP and is only listed in MM4 with no cost, so you'd need to fluff an encounter with a minotaur to have acquired it.

Mostly true. It was renamed Goliath Greathammer and printed in Races of Stone. The crit is 20/x4, and the price is 30 gp. In all other respects it is the same.

Paul H
2009-08-19, 08:08 PM
Hi

Complete Warrior has already been mentioned - but what about Shillelagh on non-magical Gt Club. 2H for 3D8+1 (+Str mods, etc).

Gtr Mighty Wallop (Races of Dragon, Pgs 114/115), is a 3rd Lvl Sorc/Wiz spell. Warmace from Complete Warrior (Pg 154) with Gtr Mighty Wallop cast on it by:
Wiz CL 4: 3D6
Wiz CL 8: 4D6
Wiz CL 12: 6D6
Wiz CL 16: 8D6
Weapon remains same size, just the damage is amended.
No attack penalties - is this any good?

Cleric CL16 Tank with Spell Domain could cast this for mega damage on his weapon. (Yes, he'll need Exotic Wpn prof feat as well).

Cheers
Paul H

Myrmex
2009-08-19, 08:43 PM
Mostly true. It was renamed Goliath Greathammer and printed in Races of Stone. The crit is 20/x4, and the price is 30 gp. In all other respects it is the same.

No, that's the goliath greathammer. You what the Greathorn one, cause it's better.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-19, 10:04 PM
Mostly true. It was renamed Goliath Greathammer and printed in Races of Stone. The crit is 20/x4, and the price is 30 gp. In all other respects it is the same.Different weapons, and the Goliath one isn't worth a feat. The Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer is worth the EWP for a small subset of builds. Why do people always try to nerf it?

Berserk Monk
2009-08-19, 11:37 PM
There's Always Titan Bloodline.

Bloodline? Why not just go half elf wizard that doesn't use a spellbook?

Seffbasilisk
2009-08-19, 11:46 PM
There's also a weapon enchantment. +2, it's called "Balanced" and lets you treat the weapon as one size smaller.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-19, 11:59 PM
There's also a weapon enchantment. +2, it's called "Balanced" and lets you treat the weapon as one size smaller.

Do you think the weapon enchantment is broken, or is it "balanced?" :smallbiggrin:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

deuxhero
2009-08-20, 12:42 AM

That enchantment is from 3.0 where the rules for object size were not the 3.5 "sized appropritly for a creature of this size" but had greatswords as bigger in size catagory than daggers.