PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh

Eon
2009-08-18, 12:29 PM
Well I was playing an evil dnd 4.0 campaign and to try and figure out where the mayor lives I went to the bar and asked to buy a drink and then asked him. When the bartender asked for money my plan was to get some random person to pay for it so i tried to convince him that that guy over there was paying. after the dm decided it wasn't going to happen. So the cleric decides to kill him. He goes up behind the barkeeper and kills him. The entire bar tries to kill him and he asks us (me and my friend our in the corner of the bar) to help him. we are wanted criminals and this would blow our cover so we say no. So then he tries to expose us but fails. When our turn in combat comes we leave the inn to get the police to maintain cover. The cleric is very very mad at me for coming up with the idea of leaving to maintain cover "for the greater evil". He gives up and goes to jail and escapes eventually and then is mad at us for not rescuing him when A) it would blow our cover and B) in character we didn't know where he was. After he escaped i performed a bluff check to stop him from going to my house. He got really mad and tried to go back to my house anyway and i threatened to tell the police so he couldn't blow our cover as his hideout.

was staying in character the right thing to do? because he threatened to quit after i rolled to convince him not to go to the house i bought.

valadil
2009-08-18, 12:33 PM
Did you actually get the cops or did you just say you were going to get the cops? The latter seems like a good way to not blow your cover or screw over your friend. Either way I think you owe the cleric a favor or two.

Random832
2009-08-18, 12:43 PM
At the point where someone is getting mad OOC at someone's in-character actions, it's time to stop the game and talk about it.

Come to think of it, what was his in-character reason for killing the bartender in the first place?

kc0bbq
2009-08-18, 12:44 PM
The problem is that the cleric has no clue how to play an evil character. He's gibbering evil, and that's a noose around the party's neck.

Why does the party keep him around?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-18, 12:48 PM
Come to think of it, what was his in-character reason for killing the bartender in the first place?
Because the cleric is evil.

Random832
2009-08-18, 12:52 PM
So in other words he's Stupid Evil and this player should be barred from playing evil characters.

Kylarra
2009-08-18, 12:54 PM
Because the cleric is stupid evil.Fix'd. :smalltongue:

edit: Also ninja'd. :(

OverdrivePrime
2009-08-18, 12:59 PM
Because the cleric is evil.

Seems like he's more of a psychopath than just vanilla evil. Being evil doesn't mean that you have to be a bloodthirsty butcher. There are plenty of evil people who are content to simply profit off of innocent people or steal welfare checks from old ladies.

kamikasei
2009-08-18, 01:00 PM
The problem is that the cleric has no clue how to play an evil character. He's gibbering evil, and that's a noose around the party's neck.

Pretty much.

He was an evil character in a group of evil characters and he needlessly got himself into trouble the entire group couldn't handle. It was a stupid thing to do both in and out of character. The natural thing for the rest of the party to do was to cut him loose.

Playing evil and maintaining group cohesion requires a measure of OOC cooperation to not do the most disruptive things you might and not respond to them in the most disruptive way. That seems to have been missing here.

Optimystik
2009-08-18, 01:02 PM
So in other words he's Stupid Evil and this player should be barred from playing evil characters.

A winner is you

Eon
2009-08-18, 01:32 PM
oh okay thanks guys. I was just making sure.

AshDesert
2009-08-18, 03:07 PM
Honestly, it really is Stupid Evil for the Cleric to just kill a guy because a skill check failed. IC, any evil party worth their salt would cut someone who would kill in the open like that because of minor setbacks (well, any LE group). Evil =/= killing everyone you see who doesn't do exactly what you need.

Susano-wo
2009-08-18, 07:20 PM
you are totally fine in everything you did, from what you described. If you have reason to be loyal to him in character, perhaps some more effort could have been taken to help him out, but I did not get that from your post
As far as party cohesion goes, it sounds like you are not necessarily worried about that?
And above all, OOC anger over IC actions is 90% of the time total BS and time for a sit down (as has been stated)