PDA

View Full Version : Tippy: Tamer of Chaos, Killer of men

TheStillWind
2009-08-18, 03:40 PM
Tippy is a Kobold Monk 1/ Crusader 11. The only thing that matters is that he uses shurikens as his main attack while in the Aura of chaos stance. The stance says that every time you get max on a damage roll you can roll again for more damage. If you get max on that roll you get another roll and so on. Tippy uses small shurkens; they do 1d1 damage, he always rolls max and gets an arbitrarily high amount of damage dice. WIN?

I realize that it is quite logical and RAW legal to argue that a damage of 1 requires no roll at all rendering this joke moot.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-18, 03:42 PM
Tippy is a Kobold Monk 1/ Crusader 11. The only thing that matters is that he uses shurikens as his main attack while in the Aura of chaos stance. The stance says that every time you get max on a damage roll you can roll again for more damage. If you get max on that roll you get another roll and so on. Tippy uses small shurkens; they do 1d1 damage, he always rolls max and gets an arbitrarily high amount of damage dice. WIN?

I realize that it is quite logical and RAW legal to argue that a damage of 1 requires no roll at all rendering this joke moot.

There's already an infinite damage loop with the Crusader that does something similar, I believe.

Eldariel
2009-08-18, 03:43 PM
The classic version of this is the 1d2 Crusader - you have Imbued Healing [Complete Champion]: Luck (which allows you to treat all 1s on die rolls as 2s for the duration of the effect) and the Aura active - then you roll 1d2, get max result, rince and repeat.

Of course, this falls flat on its face when you point out that Imbued Healing's wording doesn't allow you to treat the die as rolled 2, but just changes the result. Still, equally amusing.

SparkMandriller
2009-08-18, 03:43 PM
You're kind of a few years late there bro.

Signmaker
2009-08-18, 03:58 PM
Additionally, the real Tippy is by far cooler than an infinite crusader.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-18, 04:02 PM
Tippy is a wizard who abuses the rules of physics. Please pick a different name for your build.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-18, 04:03 PM
Tippy is a wizard who abuses the rules of physics. Please pick a different name for your build.

People can call things whatever they want. Maybe Tip-Tip would be better though, given that it's a Kobold.

Doc Roc
2009-08-18, 04:03 PM
Which is a big deal, cause winfinite crusaders are pretty cool!

TheStillWind
2009-08-18, 04:09 PM
I had no idea Tippy was an actual name for a build. I used my cats name.

Da Pwnzlord
2009-08-18, 04:15 PM
Is there some ancient thread devoted to discussing "Tippy the wizard?" I hear so much about he/her/it.

Forrestfire
2009-08-18, 04:15 PM
I think there was a halfling class in Dragon that allowed ones to be rerolled for a few minutes a day... That would work better for this.

PS: Is the "Tippy Build" where the term "Tippyverse" comes from? Can someone link to the build?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-18, 04:17 PM
Tippy wasn't a build, he was one of the greatest CharOp minds around. I'm not sure if he got banned or if he just stopped posting, but his ideas revolutionized the way some people think about world-building.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-18, 04:18 PM
Tippy wasn't a build, he was one of the greatest CharOp minds around. I'm not sure if he got banned or if he just stopped posting, but his ideas revolutionized the way some people think about world-building.

The problem with the Tippyverse is it's pretty boring to play in. You're almost guaranteed to get mindraped by some high-level wizard once you start accomplishing things.

woodenbandman
2009-08-18, 04:26 PM
I rather like the idea of a universe where everything broken has been fixed (in the sense that it's been broken already by someone much stronger than you).

Draz74
2009-08-18, 04:29 PM
PS: Is the "Tippy Build" where the term "Tippyverse" comes from? Can someone link to the build?

The "Tippy Wizard" and the "Tippyverse" both come from the Forum poster Emperor_Tippy. However, the "Tippy Wizard" isn't really a build; more of a mindset: using magic (including the more broken aspects of it, such as custom Magic Trap creation) for practical purposes that would eventually let one rule the world through economic power.

Being a Tippy Wizard is independent of being a "Batman Wizard," or even the paranoid version, the "Scry-and-Die Schroedinger Wizard," but not incompatible. The same character could be both.

Emperor_Tippy was also the creator of Cindy, which is a specific build, and a very powerful one indeed, proving that direct-damage spells (Orbs) are by no means weak when you go Incantrix and metamagic them up. Like the other builds mentioned, Cindy was independent of, but not incompatible with, the "Tippy Wizard" mindset. Unfortunately, Cindy only seems to have been posted online in detail once, and the character sheet site she lived on was taken down or got erased, so no one is quite sure anymore what exactly Cindy had.

Connington
2009-08-18, 04:39 PM
Draz74 summed it up. Although I do believe he forgot a piece of homebrew Tippy made, who's name escapes me. It was designed as an example of the only kind of melee warrior that could successfully fight against a wizard using the paranoid tactics associated (though not synonymous) with the Tippyverse.

Anyways, if you want to see more example, browse through the archives for threads about the application of magic in a world. You'll either find Tippy, or one of his proteges.

RTGoodman
2009-08-18, 04:53 PM
Either way, besides the fact that you picked an unfortunate name, this build doesn't work at all anyway.

Aura of Chaos specifies that it works when you ROLL maximum damage, IIRC; a Small shuriken deals 1 damage, not 1d1, and thus you do NOT actually roll. That's why you have to use the ol' Imbued Healing and an weapon that does 1d2 damage. (And as Eldariel said, even that can be argued not to work.)

Skorj
2009-08-18, 05:25 PM
Hey, I have a d1. I can roll it all day long. (Actually, it tends to roll all day long, being a miniture '1' pool ball.)

RTGoodman
2009-08-18, 05:33 PM
You can definitely HAVE a d1, but I don't think there's anything in D&D 3.x or 4E that requires it. Most values below 1d2 are simple rendered as 1, with no indication of rolling involved.