PDA

View Full Version : Defaulting on Crafts

LibraryOgre
2009-08-18, 05:03 PM
So, I have a character who has max ranks in Craft at 5th level (5 in PF, 8 in 3.5). Specifically, he's an armorsmith.

What if he needs to make a weapon? Or a bunch of nails?

erikun
2009-08-18, 05:16 PM
By RAW, can't do it.

By my game, I'd allow him to craft metalwork using his Craft (Armorsmith) check. If you know how to work a forge, nails aren't exactly some foreign craft. :smallannoyed:

If they're trying to make something extremely complex, like an Apparatus of the Crab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#apparatusoftheCrab), then there probably would be a penality. Possibly half ranks, or -5, or something similar - you know how to work a forge, but have really only worked on producing breastplates.

I wouldn't allow Armorsmith to produce weapons, of vice versa - that's clearly asking for two skills while only having one. I'd allow crafting weapons/armor with just Craft (Blacksmithing), but with the above penality, and wouldn't allow them to create masterwork products.

RTGoodman
2009-08-18, 05:29 PM
Craft isn't a trained only skill, so you can definitely try to make them.

Nails are probably a Very Simple item, so it's just a DC 5. Furthermore, they probably fall under the "Varies" section as to what sort of Craft check you need to make, and I would allow you to make nails with your normal Armorsmithing ranks. (I mean, it can't be THAT hard if you're already so good you can reliably craft full-plate.)

Weapons... not so much. You could still try (DC 12, 15, or 18) with a d20 + Int roll, plus any other modifiers (masterwork tools, etc.). It'd be harder, but not TOO hard.

Sanguine
2009-08-18, 05:32 PM
You could always homebrew a Craft version of the Versatile Performer feat from Complete Adventurer.