View Full Version : media filehosting site questions

Stycotl
2009-08-18, 05:42 PM
download-directory.net

i know that some of you guys are computer geniuses and know a bit about media hosting sites, media copyright info, etc. this one claims that for $40, you can (i presume legally) download content. obviously for a legal site, i would expect to pay, and this one does mention that part of the cost is because it has to go direct to the source or something like that.

but then when you search for an item, it sends you to rapidshare.com and other sites. so much for direct-from-the-source. in fact, isn't rapidshare one of the sites that pirates media content anyway?

is this legit or would i be a sucker to sign up?

Strawman
2009-08-18, 06:14 PM
There's no way that a website that allows unlimited downloads for a one time 40$ price is legit. Even just one of the video games they say you can download would cost 50$ retail. It would be impossible for this site to stay in business one day if it was legal. Definitely a scam.

Seonor
2009-08-18, 07:34 PM
Stay away from that. There is no way this is legal in any way. Sites like Hulu, Pandora or last.fm have huge problems to aquire the licences they need so most of them only work in the united states and with certain limitations. A site that managed to get all the licences would make the news.

So
1. Either they collect your 40$ and give you a list of downloads that redirects you to other sites for the actual file. That is quite similar to how the pirate bay operated, only they didn't charge for it, and see how that turned out. As soon as a lawyer or someone else from the movie/software/music industrie sees them they are toast and now your creditcardnumber is on a list of costumers and you are screwed.

2.Or they use the 40$ to maintain some servers to host all the files they claim to have. Then as soon as a lawyer or someone else from the movie/software/music industrie sees them they are even faster toast (since they cannot claim "We only linked to it! Google does the same!", the defense pb used) and now your creditcardnumber is on a list of costumers and you are screwed.

The first alternitive seems more likely since you where redirected to rapidshare. If you want something like that, only legal, you are out of luck: there is no legal way to download copyrighted material this diverse for a flatrate. There are some things like the zune pass or napster subscription for music, but a soon as you end your payments, you no longer have access to the music.

tl;dr: This is not legal, if you pay them anything you are screwed.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-18, 07:38 PM
there is no legal way to download copyrighted material this diverse for a flatrate. There are some things like the zune pass or napster subscription for music, but a soon as you end your payments, you no longer have access to the music.

does this mean you can no longer use the music you already have? or does it mean you just can't download more?

And yeah this website is a scam in every sense of the word that I'm aware of.

Roland St. Jude
2009-08-18, 07:48 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This topic is not allowed on this forum.