PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Hightower [IC]

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-18, 08:53 PM
The sky has been slowly darkening all day, and the smell of rain has been thick in the air. Now it has finally begun to fall, accompanied by loud peals of thunder that seem to roll across the landscape. The sun is hidden behind massive storm clouds, and a cold wind blows from the north. As bolts of lightning begin to slam from cloud to ground and pieces of hail begin to strike the earth, the need for shelter becomes obvious. Ahead in the distance, a large tor rises from the ground, its form illuminated by the occasional lightning bolt. It seems rocky and solid, and though climbing it in this weather would be folly, it might have some outcropping that would provide safety from the storm. The only alternative is to endure the weather.

Robek
2009-08-18, 09:51 PM
A short, tan kobold man wraps his cloak around himself. "Well, I suppose that's the only place to escape this harsh weather." he says to himself. He begins scamppering towards the tor, hoping to find an easy way to get up to it in this weather.

Zore
2009-08-18, 10:02 PM
Alina sighs as the raindrops thundered down on her ragged traveling gear. She pulls her sodden cloak more tightly around her shoulders, a useless gesture but one that brought a modicum of comfort. Her newly reptilian body was still largely unfamiliar to her and the rain felt odd on her scales. Squinting ahead she spotted a tor which might given some shelter and she altered her path slightly.

As the hail begins she picks up her gait and begins a jog, her large sword and club bouncing against her back as she trots. the tor looms ever larger and she begins to look for shelter.

MOLOKH
2009-08-19, 04:27 AM
Brid struggles through the mud in which he sinks ankle-deep, pulled down by his massive armory. From time to time he mutters "It just had to be a storm...", although it doesn't seem like the weather itself is giving him such a hard time. Upon seeing the dark silhouette in the distance, a faint smile crosses his face. Well now, this here isn't so bad." He continues towards the structure.

Naryzhud
2009-08-19, 09:40 AM
Grolnir curses as he slips over in the mud, spattering his highly polished armour with flecks of muck, and he tries to rub it off with the edge of his cloak. Clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth in annoyance, he looks around himself, spots the tor in the distance and begins to hurry towards it.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-19, 10:14 AM
The massive tor towers above the surrounding country. A few narrow ledges offer scant protection from the elements, but a closer inspection reveals a massive, arched entryway at least 20 feet tall and 10 feet wide, set into the side of the hill. The ground just outside it slopes away from the doorway, directing the falling water out and away. Given this fact and the sturdy nature of the hill, whatever space lies beyond the door should be both dry and safe from lightning and hail. The construction seems quite sturdy, so the likelihood of collapse, even in severe conditions such as these, is remote.

Robek
2009-08-19, 06:37 PM
Mazmar enters the tor far enough to avoid the harsh weather, but no farther.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-19, 06:39 PM
Robek only:
The stone chamber beyond the entrance measures at least ten paces square. Peeling paint and broken scrollwork suggest that it was once decorated with some care, but now only dust remains. Three massive stone doors—one each to the left and right, and one directly across from the entrance—lead deeper into the tor.

Robek
2009-08-19, 06:47 PM
Mazmar scours his memory for knowledge on this ancient tor.

[roll0]

Mazmar also changes out of his wet scholar's outfit and into the cold weather outfit he has stored in his backpack.

MOLOKH
2009-08-20, 05:23 PM
Brid approaches and calmly enters through the archway, inspecting whatever cavity is revealed in front of him.

spot [roll0]
edit: Sorry about that, rolling again in OOC thread.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-20, 07:51 PM
MOLOKH only:
The stone chamber beyond the entrance measures at least ten paces square. Peeling paint and broken scrollwork suggest that it was once decorated with some care, but now only dust remains. Three massive stone doors—one each to the left and right, and one directly across from the entrance—lead deeper into the tor. You also notice a Kobold dressed in thick wool clothes just past the archway.

Robek
2009-08-21, 02:39 PM
"You there, human! It seems we are stuck in the same rut until the storm dies down. I am Mazmar, sorcerer extraordinaire, and righteous follower of Bahamut. Who might you be?"

MOLOKH
2009-08-21, 03:10 PM
Well met, my little friend! My name is Brid Laquo, though there is no extravagant title I can add to that the way you can. Right now I'm a simple, if quite weary and wet traveler on a kind of personal crusade. The Fates, however, seem to be kind to me this day by providing a shelter such as this one, as I find thunderstorms to be quite... depressing.

Is there anything else in the chamber besides the kobold and the doors?

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-21, 04:55 PM
MOLOKH:

There are some loose stones near the entrance, but other than that the room is empty.

Naryzhud
2009-08-22, 12:15 PM
Grolnir steps through the door and glances over at the two figures standing
just inside the door. "Nice weather out eh?" he comments, shaking the rain off his cloak and looking around the inside of the tor

Spot check to see if there's any potential hazards around the room[roll0]

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-22, 01:43 PM
Naryzhud:
The stone chamber beyond the entrance measures at least ten paces square. Peeling paint and broken scrollwork suggest that it was once decorated with some care, but now only dust remains. Three massive stone doors—one each to the left and right, and one directly across from the entrance—lead deeper into the tor. For now, you notice no potential threats.

The sound of hissing rain, pounding hail, and howling wind from outside is interrupted only by the occasional loud crack of thunder. Still, this room seems stable enough for the most part. Even when the thunder seems to shake the very ground, not so much as a mote of dust filters down from the ceiling. The doors leading into the tor, however, do show signs of weakness, seeming to tremble with every thunderclap. Suddenly, in conjunction with a particularly loud thunderclap, all three doors break open at once, falling from their doorways into the room with a great cacophony. Seconds later, the sounds of squeaking fill the air as a pack of rats swarms in from the largest doorway.

Grid:
http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy99/BlaineBush/Room1v2.jpg
Initiative order: Robek, Naryzhud, MOLOKH, rats.

Robek
2009-08-22, 02:36 PM
Mazmar scurries to behind Brid, and makes him double in size with an incantation and a flick of the wrist.

Move to A10 and cast enlarge person on Brid.

Naryzhud
2009-08-23, 03:08 AM
Grolnir draws his axe and swings his shield round onto his arm. He steps forward and sets his feet, ready for the swarm of rats...

that's two move actions and a 5-foot step straight forward to C11

MOLOKH
2009-08-23, 03:49 AM
"My praise to this place was a bit too hasty, as it would appear."

Brid draws his trident then steps forward next to the unnamed dwarf.

Draw weapon as a move action, then 5-foot step forward, next to Grolnir. Can I still ready the trident as a standart action, with the trigger being anything attacking us? Either way, Brid then waits to see what the rats do. How many squares does a large creature take by the way?

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-23, 02:37 PM
All six rats rush forward, claws skittering and teeth gnashing.

MOLOKH:
Enlarge Person is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm).

Grid:
http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy99/BlaineBush/Room1v3.jpg

Robek
2009-08-23, 02:45 PM
Mazmar moves to behind the dwarf and says the same incantation as before, making the dwarf grow twofold.

Move to C11, cast enlarge person on Grolnir.

Naryzhud
2009-08-23, 05:22 PM
Grolnir is momentarily confused as he grows, but quickly shakes off the strange feeling and bellows as he charges at some of the rats.

Move 20ft to D15(Top right of my squares is there now anyway...) and attack the closest rat swarm. [roll0] damage roll[roll1]

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-23, 05:35 PM
The rat squeaks momentarily, before it's head is cleaved off by the dwarf's axe. Blood spurts from the now twitching corpse as Grolnir removes his weapon.

MOLOKH
2009-08-23, 06:44 PM
Brid slowly adjusts himself to better confront the rats and readies his weapon for a strike.

Take another 5-foot step forward and ready a standart action - Brid will attack the first rat that enters his range.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-23, 07:19 PM
The rats advance, scampering toward Mazmar and Brid. One of them runs at Grolnir, leaping at his leg and landing a vicious bite. Blood slowly seeps from the Dwarf's painful wound.

Naryzhud:
You take 1 damage.

Grid:
http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy99/BlaineBush/Room1v4.jpg

Naryzhud
2009-08-24, 01:02 PM
Grolnir swats at the rat hanging from him before bringing his axe round in a massive backswipe. Assuming he kills the rat, he races towards the other rats, leading with his shield.

[roll0] damage [roll1] then if he kills it moves to H13

MOLOKH
2009-08-24, 04:09 PM
As it is more than obvious that the rats are hellbent on engaging the group, Brid moves in to land a blow.

So being large gives me a 5ft reach. I should be able to move to occupy F8, F9, G8 and G9 and still reach far enough to make an attack against the rat on my side, right? If so, Brid attacks the rat with the trident.

attack [roll0]
dmg [roll1]

(If I have to move more to hit it, I do. By the way, didn't we just miss Mazmar's turn?)

Robek
2009-08-24, 11:07 PM
Mazmar continues watching his allies fight the rats.

I pass. :smalltongue:

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-25, 01:28 AM
Grolnir swipes the rat from his leg, before swinging his axe around and landing a vicious blow on the vile creature. It's hewn corpse lays behind the dwarf as he charges toward the rest of the rats. Brid rushes toward one of the nearby vermin, and with great precision brings his trident down on the rodent. The rat falls from the tip of his trident as he brings it to bear against the remaining enemies. They rush forward in an effort to continue the fight, though none of them come close enough to land a blow before you are ready.

Grid:
http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy99/BlaineBush/Room1v5.jpg
New order is: Naryzhud, MOLOKH, Robek, rats.

Naryzhud
2009-08-25, 12:44 PM
The dwarf follows his momentum and barrels into the next rats bringing his axe round in another swing, rat gore flicking off his axe as it arcs around him.

Move between the two rats at I11 and J12 and attack the left one (i11) [roll0] damage [roll1]

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-25, 02:14 PM
Grolnir's axe swings wide, and misses the rat by a foot. The vermin jumps to the side, and is ready to pounce at the dwarf.

MOLOKH
2009-08-25, 02:52 PM
Taking a small step to agian position himself better, Brid thrusts his weapon at the nearest rat.

5-foot step forward and attack the rat in J9.
attack [roll0]
dmg [roll1]

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-25, 03:20 PM
Brid steps forward and once again thrusts his trident at one of the vile creatures. It squeaks as the keen metal plunges into its gut. Brid removes his trident, and the rat lays motionless in a small pool of it's own blood.

Robek
2009-08-25, 06:34 PM
Mazmar continues watching, and cheering for, his comrades.

Pass again. Not much a pacifist can do. :smalltongue:

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-25, 06:43 PM
The last rat, just now noticing it's fallen kin, decides to run. As it scampers away, Grolnir lunges at the creature with his axe. A loud crunch sounds as the dwarf lands a hit square on the vermin's skull. Six rat bodies lay strewn about the room, and all three doors are open. You can see long corridors through each entrance.

Naryzhud
2009-08-25, 07:14 PM
Grolnir pulls a cloth from his pouch and wipes the blood off of his axe, muttering to himself as he realises there's some on his armour as well. "Well fought fella, unusual weapon you have for these parts" he addresses the large paladin and turns to the sorceror, "and thanks for the... enhancements young kobold..." He turns and peers down each passage in turn, looking for any more threats.

Rolling for each passage from the left around... [roll0][roll1][roll2]

MOLOKH
2009-08-26, 01:32 PM
"And I must extend my gratitude to you, friend. Your timing was impeccable. My name is Brid, and such a weapon is not uncommon where I am from, though I certainly would not want to test it against your axe. And Mazmar..." A wide smile spreads across Brid's face. "Your title is truly well deserved, as it would appear, but you will understand when I say I hope this sorcery is not permanent or that you could at least reverse it. It would get rather troublesome when I am searching for clothes or an inn with a bed big enough to fit me. Hahaha!"

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-26, 03:15 PM
Naryzhud:
All of the corridors end in shadow, and you see no additional threats.

Robek
2009-08-26, 07:12 PM
"Nay, it shall end within the minute." he says with a cackle. He turns towards the now giant dwarf and says with a wink, "I am Mazmar, sorcerer extraordinaire! Although, you could probably already tell that."

Naryzhud
2009-08-27, 06:11 AM
The giant dwarf grins at the other two "As for myself, I go by the name of Grolnir. It's always good to meet such a capable pair as yourselves!" He peers out the open door at the continuing rain, "Looks like we'll be here for the night anyhow, so how about we see what's down these corridors before we sleep?"

Robek
2009-08-27, 01:21 PM
"So long as I don't have to lead, I'm always up for a little exploring."

MOLOKH
2009-08-27, 06:54 PM
The smile on Brid's face fades. "Indeed. One of those disgusting vermin ran away in the dark. We could assume there are more things that might threaten us in there. I would rather not rest knowing something like that could crawl upon us in our sleep. Wait a moment if you will." Brid rummages in his backpack, pulls out a bullseye lantern and lights it. "I would prefer if I was in front. Grolnir could cover me as I light the way ahead, and with our mighty mage I doubt there is a horror in this place that could stand against us. Of course, we must decide which path to take as well. I'd cast my vote for the entrance in the middle."

Robek
2009-08-27, 09:03 PM
Mazmar walks to the opening of each hall, without stepping into them, and looks as far as he can see (60 feet) for any trouble.

Naryzhud
2009-08-28, 08:09 AM
Grolnir nods at Brid's suggestion and motions with his axe towards the middle passage "After you then..."

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-28, 09:42 AM
Robek:
With your ability to see through the darkness, you find that the left and right halls end in small rooms. The middle corridor leads only to more shadows, as far as you can tell.

MOLOKH
2009-08-28, 04:16 PM
Brid steps forward through the middle entrance holding the lantern in one hand and clutching his shield tightly in the other. He walks slowly, observing his surroundings.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-30, 09:21 PM
The long stone hall ends in a stone chamber furnished only with cracked, moldering tables on which lie rusted implements of iron. Rain falls into the middle of the room from a shaft in the ceiling that must run all the way to the top of the tor. From the bottom of the shaft dangles a rope, swinging slightly. A drain in the center of the floor allows the water to escape, but old, dark stains suggest that it was used to carry away other fluids long ago.

Naryzhud
2009-08-31, 11:12 AM
Grolnir paces around the sinister room, examining the implements on the tables with distaste, "A torture chamber?" he suggests grimly. Looking up into the depths of the tor above, he tugs lightly on the rope, testing if there was any give in it, and if it felt like it would activate anything, a bell perhaps...

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-31, 11:54 AM
The rope pulls taut when tugged; it is obviously secured tightly somewhere in the tor above. Nothing else happens.

Robek
2009-09-01, 09:01 PM
"I'm already not liking this place. Not one bit!"

Naryzhud
2009-09-02, 11:34 AM
"Well there's no way i'm getting up this rope, so unless either of you two wants to have a look-see, let's go check the other corridors..."

OOC: The description didn't mention any doors, so i'm working on the assumption that there weren't any...

MOLOKH
2009-09-06, 05:29 PM
"We might as well. I would gather that whoever left this rope dangling here probably wanted to gain entry from the outside, rather than escape. I myself am certainly not a skilled enough climber to try and scale a slippery rope as such. Let us move on."

OOC
Sorry. Some stuff came up and I completely forgot about this adventure.

Naryzhud
2009-09-13, 04:58 PM
"May as well head back to the main room again then. Let's go, this place gives me the creeps"

Grolnir turns and heads back down the corridor.

Robek
2009-09-13, 09:52 PM
If yall don't want to start this back up or if Blaine doesn't have the time to run it anymore, thats cool, and just ignore the rest of this post. But I'd like to start it back up if possible. Edit: Didn't see that Nary had posted today as well. Cool. :smallbiggrin:

Mazmar walks back to the room they were at originally. "Both the left and right halls lead to a small room, so take your pick."

Naryzhud
2009-09-14, 01:27 PM
"Left is as good a choice as any..." Grolnir shrugs and starts down the passage.

MOLOKH
2009-09-14, 03:34 PM
"Let us see what lies there then."

Brid again takes his place at the front with the lantern raised high up.

Robek
2009-09-14, 07:34 PM
Mazmar follows directly behind.

Blaine hasn't been on AIM since September 11th, and that was his birthday, so I think he's on vacation or something.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-16, 08:06 PM
This room is empty save for dust and a single, small, stone chest in the center of the floor. Evidently no one has disturbed this chamber for many years.

OOC: Sorry about the absence, hopefully this will begin to pick up again.

Robek
2009-09-16, 08:13 PM
Mazmar approaches the chest, but does not open it. "I'll let one of you two have the honor of opening the chest..."

Naryzhud
2009-09-17, 12:17 PM
Grolnir approaches the stone chest cautiously and looks at it as he circles it slowly, lowering himself to his knees and blowing some of the dust off to try and get a better look. "Anyone else reckon this might be trapped?"

Search check to try and find traps, adding +2 for dwarven stonecunning [roll0]

OOC: If you think that's a bit too metagame, then ignore this post...

Robek
2009-09-17, 02:26 PM
OOC
If it's metagaming, then so was my post. :smalltongue: Also, great roll!

MOLOKH
2009-09-17, 04:11 PM
OOC
Hey, I can metagame too!

Brid watches the chest intensely, calling on his strange ability to discern ill intention and corruption.

Detect Evil on the chest, just in case.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-17, 06:37 PM
Naryzhud:
You find no apparent traps; you have little knowledge of such things.

MOLOKH:
The chest contains no evil.

Robek
2009-09-17, 06:42 PM
OOC:
But is the chest itself evil? BUM BUM BUMMMMM!
"Well then, is it trapped?"

MOLOKH
2009-09-18, 03:53 AM
"is it even locked?'

Robek
2009-09-19, 03:04 PM
Mazmar attempts to open the chest.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-19, 03:09 PM
The chest is not locked, and as you open it you notice a few items of value. However, from the wall opposite you a dart fires, striking your shoulder. Pain shoots up and down your arm as blood begins to seep from the wound.

Mazmar takes 2 damage.

Robek
2009-09-19, 03:10 PM
Mazmar takes out the things of value and examines them.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-19, 03:11 PM
The chest contains two pearls, a small pouch, and what appears to be a simple headband.

Robek
2009-09-19, 03:12 PM
Mazmar opens the pouch to examine it's contents.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-19, 03:14 PM
The simple canvas bag contains a number of gold coins. After looking them over for a moment, you guess that there are about one hundred.

Robek
2009-09-19, 03:17 PM
Mazmar counts out the coins.

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-19, 03:20 PM
There are one hundred coins.

Robek
2009-09-19, 03:25 PM
"Well then, that's 33 for each of us." he says while handing 33 each to Brid and Grolnir. He then throws a gold coin back down the hall they came from, to avoid any conflict. "Now, who wants a headband and who wants a pearl?"

MOLOKH
2009-09-19, 04:34 PM
"Forget the pearls and the gold, what about your arm?! Are you alright? Do you have something on yourself we could bandage your wound with?"

Robek
2009-09-19, 05:04 PM
"I'm fine, it's just a flesh wound."

MOLOKH
2009-09-19, 06:26 PM
Brid eyes Mazmar worryingly.
"Well, if you say so. But I propose that in the future the two of you allow me to open any other suspicious looking chests. We should take great care from now on, as there appear to be still working traps in this place."
He glances at the pearls and shakes his head slightly.
"These jewels bring back some memories."

Naryzhud
2009-09-20, 07:29 PM
Grolnir raises an eyebrow at the kobold, "Are you not at least going to pull that dart out of your shoulder?"

Robek
2009-09-20, 09:28 PM
"Will it give me bonus hitpoints?" :smalltongue:

"Alright, alright." Mazmar pulls the darts out from his back. "Now let's take a nap, the walk here was quite long, and it might help with the whole, bleeding out from the darts shot into my arm thing."

Naryzhud
2009-09-21, 11:01 AM
Grolnir shrugs, "I'll take first watch, i'm not feeling too tired yet and i think this isn't the safest of places..." He settles himself on the floor and starts cleaning his armour.

MOLOKH
2009-09-21, 12:55 PM
"But was it not our intention to first scour this place as to prevent anything bad from befalling us while we rest? There is still one more chamber we should examine. If you are exhausted I am willing to venture in it alone, so at least another accident like this does not put you in more danger."

Naryzhud
2009-09-23, 07:20 PM
"If you're going in, then i'm not letting you go alone... We stand a better chance of facing anything that might appear together rather than get picked off one by one..."

MOLOKH
2009-09-24, 12:24 PM
"Thank you, Grolnir. Mazmar, if you are not feeling well it would be better if you wait here. The two of us will check the last door and then we will search for some firewood - maybe we could put those old tables in the middle chamber to good use. Then we can rest and I will take a good look at your wound."