PDA

View Full Version : Minor Logical Fallacy in #620

Xesirin
2009-08-18, 11:35 PM
I was doing some thinking during my <insert random 2 digit number here>th archive binge, and noticed the dialogue in 620.

Hank says that letting slip that Haley came back with her dead leader would improve their rep. This is directly after he says they would be sending word around that Haley never actually left.

Wouldn't it stand to reason that their rep would falter if they let that information slip out? Since parties would no longer be able to trust the thieves guild? :smallconfused:

Okay, I'll go to bed now. :smalltongue:

derfenrirwolv
2009-08-18, 11:41 PM
The story would be that haley would be comming back into town and that she never left the thieves guild

rainbowjo
2009-08-19, 12:32 AM
the planted story was that Haley was PRETENDING to not be a member when roy hired her, then she punished him for not hiring an 'official' rogue by killing him.

Conuly
2009-08-19, 01:01 AM
the planted story was that Haley was PRETENDING to not be a member when roy hired her, then she punished him for not hiring an 'official' rogue by killing him.

The planted story sure has Haley taking her own sweet time about it.

"Hire Thieves Guild, or else sometime, when you least expect it - like, say, twenty years from now - they may up and turn you into a bone golem!"

factotum
2009-08-19, 01:28 AM
No-one is likely to know that it took that long--for all they know, Haley has been working "undercover" for months because it took her that long to get a likely target. That would make the story even more convincing, actually--sure, that thief you're hiring says they ran away from the Guild six months ago, but can you be really sure they're not setting you up for a fall?

MReav
2009-08-19, 01:37 AM
Of course, there's the issue of keeping Roy's mouth shut, since Roy explicitly asked Haley for her Thieves' Guild License, specifically so that he wouldn't get killed for hiring scabs. So, this might have turned it into a PR nightmare ("So wait, we can't hire scabs because they might be Guild plants who'll off us for hiring scabs, but you'll let those Guild plants acting as scabs forge IDs so they can pretend they're Guild members in good standing, in order to kill people hiring scabs, even though they're really Guild members, pretending to be scabs, pretending to be Guild members.")

FujinAkari
2009-08-19, 03:29 AM
Of course, there's the issue of keeping Roy's mouth shut, since Roy explicitly asked Haley for her Thieves' Guild License, specifically so that he wouldn't get killed for hiring scabs.

Well. Hank clearly wasn't worried about this since he had no idea Roy would be returning to life :P

factotum
2009-08-19, 06:28 AM
Well. Hank clearly wasn't worried about this since he had no idea Roy would be returning to life :P

I think he did. Part of the contract Celia negotiated with him involved the retrieval of Bone Golem Roy from Grubwiggler's house, and they're not likely to want him back for a little tea party somewhere, are they?

NerfTW
2009-08-19, 09:58 AM
He probably assumed that Roy would agree to keep quiet in the interest of not causing a fight. It would have been in Roy's best interest not to piss off the thieves guild, since they kind of have bigger fish to fry than Haley oweing some money to them.

(Remember, NOBODY knows why she's hoarding gold. Not even Brooozzzoook-whas his face. He didn't know what was in the letter.)

factotum
2009-08-19, 10:46 AM
(Remember, NOBODY knows why she's hoarding gold. Not even Brooozzzoook-whas his face. He didn't know what was in the letter.)

Actually, he probably did--don't forget that we found out during the fight in Pete's house that Bozzok was responsible for Haley's father going to the Western Continent in the first place; seems reasonable to suppose he had an idea what they were going to do.

Conuly
2009-08-19, 12:37 PM
("So wait, we can't hire scabs because they might be Guild plants who'll off us for hiring scabs, but you'll let those Guild plants acting as scabs forge IDs so they can pretend they're Guild members in good standing, in order to kill people hiring scabs, even though they're really Guild members, pretending to be scabs, pretending to be Guild members.")

Of course, she forged that ID *right in front of him* and even *told* him she was trying to forge her ID.

(Guess who just got OotPCs? Me!)

Tass
2009-08-19, 12:55 PM
Of course, she forged that ID *right in front of him* and even *told* him she was trying to forge her ID.

(Guess who just got OotPCs? Me!)

But she did make sure that he did not have ranks in sense motive first.

veti
2009-08-19, 04:49 PM
Bozzok wasn't there when Roy hired Haley, so he doesn't know what happened at that scene. More importantly - all the people he's trying to impress weren't there for that scene either. As far as they're all concerned - Roy hired a scab, Roy died, end of story.

I guess Bozzok is assuming Roy would be smuggled out of town immediately after being rezz'd. Seems a pretty fair bet, as none of the party ever wanted to be there in the first place.