PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Is this too much?

Pika...
2009-08-19, 04:57 AM
So this is the second night I ahve been up to near morning working on this settlement for this coming Friday:

http://bof-dunn.angelfire.com/Bofdunn1.htm
(It is still only about 50% done. Needs the detail work and scattered NPCs)

I had planned to make maps like this for all the settlements in my "home" kingdom.

Do you think this is too much? As in a)It will just go to waste, and a) It is too much effort?

I seem to enjoy mapping settlements. Sort of like an artistic outlet for one who isn't artistic. But then if players will justs zoom by this in 2-10 minutes is it worth it?

p.s. If anyone else here uses Fractal Mapper or CC3 themselves, please tell me how it worsk for you.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-19, 05:13 AM
it looks a lot more like a world map than a single settlement.

it doesn't look like it took a ton of time but I don't know anything about the program you used. If it doesn't take too long to make these then go ahead. However if it does I think it's too much.

Pika...
2009-08-19, 05:22 AM
it looks a lot more like a world map than a single settlement.

it doesn't look like it took a ton of time but I don't know anything about the program you used. If it doesn't take too long to make these then go ahead. However if it does I think it's too much.

Well, I am also learning/relearning the program. Made a number of mistakes, but I think they might be quicker next time.

Oh, and what do you mean that it looks like a world map vs. a single settlement?

Pika...
2009-08-19, 05:24 AM
Oh, and forgot to mention it takes a load of time to track down appropriate sprites. And many times you need to go into photoshop to break sprite sheets apart.

Dhavaer
2009-08-19, 06:52 AM
Oh, and what do you mean that it looks like a world map vs. a single settlement?

The border looks like a long stretch of coastline.

Pika...
2009-08-19, 12:56 PM
The border looks like a long stretch of coastline.

Oh my bad. They are supposed to be a Dwarf settlement inside a mountain. Not very good/obvious, huh? :smallredface:

BenTheJester
2009-08-19, 01:17 PM
Oh my bad. They are supposed to be a Dwarf settlement inside a mountain. Not very good/obvious, huh? :smallredface:

Well I found it quite obvious it was

valadil
2009-08-19, 01:23 PM
I seem to enjoy mapping settlements. Sort of like an artistic outlet for one who isn't artistic. But then if players will justs zoom by this in 2-10 minutes is it worth it?

In my opinion it's not worth it. My players zoom past this stuff. I'm lucky if they spend a minute looking at what took an hour to create. If I only have 10 hours a week to prep game, I can't afford to spend four of them making a map.

On the other hand, if it's a fun artistic outlet then go for it. My personal preference is to make this sort of thing long before the game begins when you have the time to spare and there's no next session deadline.