PDA

View Full Version : making a better Paladin.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-19, 05:36 AM
well, my Current one works well I guess. I just want my next one to be better. I have a feeling my character will die before the campaign is over and would like some advice on feats, skills, and prestige/multiclasses I should take.

I don't really plan on staying around for the spells. they don't seem like they do anything. FYI this is a Paladin of freedom variant.

kamikasei
2009-08-19, 05:39 AM
What books are available? What are the things you particularly like about paladins and what don't you care about? How amenable are you to playing a knight or crusader or something else and calling it a paladin?

Jayngfet
2009-08-19, 05:52 AM
Depends on the armor you wear.

If you don't rely on armor I'd reccomend Asetic knight and a level of monk. Now the paladin and monk levels stack for smiting and unarmed strike damage. Meaning no one can ever truly disarm you and you can punch through walls.

Duskblade also seems good, since you can cast spells while armored in anything under heavy and channel through whatever weapon is on hand(even the above unarmed strike).

Rogue is also good, and after a level or two of that one of the shadowbane classes begins to seem attractive.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-19, 05:53 AM
My DM just said nothing too overpowered. Tome of battle is allowed. the only thing Is I like the fact that Paladins of freedom have an immunity to compulsion effects and Crusaders might not. I haven't had a chance to look at tome of battle yet.

Paladins are my favorite class because...... I don't know how to describe it. It's just what I'd be if I somehow got transported into D&D somehow. The only real problem would be the code that says I'm not allowed to associate with Evil characters.

I don't particularly care about being a Paladin. I just Like being immune to compulsion effects, being the "holy knight." and staying away from the Paladin stereotype. I'm completely open to any class that is immune to compulsion and is Melee. The only other requirement is the character can't be a class that has to be of evil alignment.

also I'd prefer to use a greatsword or polearm. preferably greatsword. Also please mention what book X class comes out of.

woodenbandman
2009-08-19, 09:38 AM
Well you could take a stab at a Cleric/Church Inquisitor. Gets immunity to charm at level 2 (ECL5), and immunity to compulsion at level 5(ECL7). You are lawful good or lawful neutral, and your basic shtick is that you're hunting down corrupt members of your own faith and getting them to confess. If you don't like this flavor, you could ask your DM to rework it.

Another idea is you could go Paladin for 2 levels and go into crusader, but you kinda have to follow the pally code.

That's all I can think of for getting Compulsion immunity. You could try just getting good will saves, in which case a normal cleric would work. Check out the SRD Variants here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#cleric)and here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm).

Faulty
2009-08-19, 09:49 AM
I suggest you fiddle with the Crusader a bit. Remove the Steely resolve and Smite abilities, replace them with the Paladin's Smite Evil progression and the Aura of Good ability at level 1. If you don't like the Crusader's odd way of gaining maneuvers in combat, changing it to preparing X amount of maneuvers (5 at level 1, 6 at level 10, etc.) and then being able to gain back the number of maneuvers in paraenthesis (2 at level 1, 3 at level 8, etc.) by praying as a standard action.

As far as dealing with mind affecting shenanigans by level 3 as a Crusader you get your Cha modifier as a bonus to Will saves and can reroll a save once per day. You also get Mettle at level 13, which helps with some will saves.

Now just make your character Chaotic Good and roleplay him as a Paladin of Freedom. You can give yourself the Code of Conduct as a Crusader too, or at least roleplay a Code of Conduct. If your DM allows anymore homebrew, maybe make a feat that requires +5 BAB and the smite evil ability that lets you smite as part of a maneuver. If that seems too powerful, make it require two uses of smite.

Alternatively, make a feat that requires knowledge of one level 2 Devoted Spirit maneuver, and the Indomitable soul and Aura of Courage class features that let your Crusader and Paladin levels stack when determing your initiator level and daily uses of Smite Evil.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-20, 03:33 PM
I like the idea of the church inquisitor guy but I don't like the idea of lawful good or lawful anything. Any other options for outright immunity to compulsion? Or I could possibly trade a class feature for the immunity to compulsion. If you can think of a class that meets my other prerequisites I'll try and do that.

Glimbur
2009-08-20, 03:54 PM
Five levels in Occult Slayer, a PrC from Complete Warrior, will give you Mind Blank, which among other things includes immunity to compulsions.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-20, 05:39 PM
isn't mind blank only temporary though? I'm looking for something that's permanently in effect.

Glimbur
2009-08-20, 05:44 PM
It's not called Mind Blank, upon a reading of the class. It's "immunity to mind affecting effects". This includes Compulsions. You can suppress or resume it as a free action. There is absolutely nothing said about a duration allowed per day or limits on use, so it can run all day every day. The rest of the class abilities are ok, I guess, but you're still a melee type trying to fight a caster, which is a bad way to be.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-20, 05:47 PM
ah. the only bad thing is it's a PRC and I don't have a chance to look over its other abilities right now seeing as I don't have the book.

erikun
2009-08-20, 05:58 PM
My first thought is, well, Cleric. I hate to admit it, but Cleric is usually a better Paladin than a Paladin. :smallfrown: Paladin 2/Cleric X or something similar is quite workable.

On the other hand, a brief look through Complete Divine gives us several options. Holy Liberator is a CG "Paladin prestige class", so to speak, and the levels of Holy Liberator stack with Paladin for determining smite and Liberator spellcasting. There's also the Divine Crusader, which needs to match your deity's alignment but gets... well, better stuff than Paladin 5-10, anyways.

As a plus, your Paladin of Freedom will keep his abilities while staying CG.

Paladin of Freedom 5/Holy Liberator 10/Divine Crusader 5 gives you detect evil, smite 5/day, divine grace, lay on hands, turn undead, aura of resolve, remove fatigue, break enchantment, a companion, access to one domain, domain spells for your Crusader levels, and some other minor bonuses.

Paladin of Freedom 5/Holy Liberator 5/Divine Crusader 10 gives you detect evil, smite 4/day, divine grace, lay on hands, turn undead, aura of resolve, remove fatigue, break enchantment, access to one domain, domain spells for your Crusader levels, Darkvision, and some other minor bonuses.

Ravens_cry
2009-08-20, 06:04 PM
I have been looking at Pathfinders new paladin, and I must say it looks pretty awesome. Not as many options as some of the other ideas here, but awesome. What would it take to make a ranged paladin? It would remove some of the MAD, as you don't need to add much strength. This is good as my group uses point buy exclusively.

Mystic Muse
2009-08-20, 06:06 PM
well a composite longbow adds your strength instead of DEX bonus. Just FYI

Mystic Muse
2009-08-20, 06:09 PM
My first thought is, well, Cleric. I hate to admit it, but Cleric is usually a better Paladin than a Paladin. :smallfrown: Paladin 2/Cleric X or something similar is quite workable.

On the other hand, a brief look through Complete Divine gives us several options. Holy Liberator is a CG "Paladin prestige class", so to speak, and the levels of Holy Liberator stack with Paladin for determining smite and Liberator spellcasting. There's also the Divine Crusader, which needs to match your deity's alignment but gets... well, better stuff than Paladin 5-10, anyways.

As a plus, your Paladin of Freedom will keep his abilities while staying CG.

Paladin of Freedom 5/Holy Liberator 10/Divine Crusader 5 gives you detect evil, smite 5/day, divine grace, lay on hands, turn undead, aura of resolve, remove fatigue, break enchantment, a companion, access to one domain, domain spells for your Crusader levels, and some other minor bonuses.

Paladin of Freedom 5/Holy Liberator 5/Divine Crusader 10 gives you detect evil, smite 4/day, divine grace, lay on hands, turn undead, aura of resolve, remove fatigue, break enchantment, access to one domain, domain spells for your Crusader levels, Darkvision, and some other minor bonuses.

This sounds pretty good.If somebody thinks they have something better lay it on me.