PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Two Mimic Questions

Another_Poet
2009-08-19, 02:16 PM
Hi everybody. What the thread title says.

1) A Mimic has the [Shapechanger] subtype. The subtype explains that shapechanging is a [supernatural] ability. The supernatural entry explains that supernatural effects are magical. So does a mimic ping as "magic" under a simple Detect Magic spell? If so, what school and aura strength?? Also doesn't that kind of suck?

2) The Mimic's Crush ability states, "A mimic deals 1d8+4 points of damage with a successful grapple check." But the Mimic's "Adhesive" ability states, "An adhesive-covered mimic automatically grapples any creature it hits with its slam attack." So on a successful Slam attack, does an adhesive-coated mimic immediately deal an additional 1d8+4 points of damage with Crush?

PinkysBrain
2009-08-19, 02:19 PM
There are only rules for spells and magic items, so I'd say Su abilities don't detect as magic unless they specifically say they work as a spell.

As for the grapple, no check no damage ... it automatically grapples, it doesn't automatically succeed on a grapple check.

Another_Poet
2009-08-19, 02:50 PM
There are only rules for spells and magic items, so I'd say Su abilities don't detect as magic unless they specifically say they work as a spell.

As for the grapple, no check no damage ... it automatically grapples, it doesn't automatically succeed on a grapple check.

I like both of these answers. Thank you.

That said, if anyone disagrees please speak up :)

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-19, 03:20 PM
If you do want to count Su abilities as magical for detection and such, here's another option: I've always considered Su shapechanging to only be Su for the change itself--once the mimic changes into a door, it is a door for all intents and purposes. So detect magic would find it if it's in the act of changing, but just sitting around in chest shape wouldn't make it any more detectable.

erikun
2009-08-19, 07:38 PM
1.) Could go either way and make sense. Someone hit with Baleful Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/balefulPolymorph.htm) doesn't glow after changing shape, and neither does a werewolf. Still, we're talking about a hungry walking box here. And heck, high level treasure chests will probably be trapped with magic anyways, so not glowing might be suspicious.

I'd say that they don't, for the simple reason that no other shapechangers glow under detection. As Pinky said, it's the act that's magical, not the creature doing so.

2.) Isn't there a rule stating that abilities don't trigger on a slam unless specifically stated to do so? Perhaps I'm remembering that wrong, though.