PDA

View Full Version : [d20r, Feats] Archery Investing Feats

Fax Celestis
2009-08-19, 03:13 PM
Brutal Precision [Investing]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Point Blank Shot

Benefit: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all ranged attack rolls and add the same number to all ranged damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus, nor may it exceed the maximum Strength bonus allowed by your weapon. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.

Investiture: If you have at least ten points of prowess invested in this feat, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls.

If you have at least five points of prowess invested in this feat, you may ignore the maximum Strength bonus allowed by of your weapon.

Pin Opponent [Investing]
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Point Blank Shot, Brutal Precision

Benefit: When you succeed on an attack with a ranged weapon and take at least a -3 penalty to your attack roll, you may also attempt to pin your foe.

Your foe must be near a wall, tree, or solid object and must be within 30' of you for you to be able to use this feat. Instead of dealing damage, make a second attack roll at your highest base attack bonus and add your Strength modifier (limited by your weapon's maximum Strength bonus) and the bonus damage you would have received from your Brutal Precision feat. Your result is the Strength check DC needed for your opponent to break free from the pin.

An opponent can be pinned multiple times using this feat. Each pin beyond the first increases the Strength check DC by 2.

Breaking free from this pin is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. While pinned, your foe can defend themselves as normal, but is unable to move from their current square. They also take a -4 penalty to Dexterity while pinned.

Investiture: You gain a +1 bonus on the Strength check DC for each three points of prowess invested in this feat.

Special: You may not utilize this feat in conjunction with Ranged Trip, Ranged Disarm, or Ranged Bull-Rush.

Ranged Bull-Rush [Investing]

Benefit: When you succeed on an attack with a ranged weapon and take at least a -3 penalty to your attack roll, you may also attempt to bull-rush your foe. Your foe must be within 30' of you. By doing so, you forgo the extra damage gained by your Brutal Precision feat but gain a bonus on the bull-rush check equal to the extra damage you would have gained.

Resolve other modifiers on the bull-rush attempt (including size and Strength modifier) normally. Keep in mind that your bull-rush attempt is still limited by your weapon's maximum Strength bonus.

Unlike a normal bull-rush, you do not move with your opponent when utilizing this feat.

Investiture: You gain a +1 bonus on bull-rush attempts using this feat for each three points of prowess invested in this feat.

Special: You may not utilize this feat in conjunction with Ranged Trip, Ranged Disarm, or Pin Opponent.

Ranged Disarm[Investing]

Benefit: When you succeed on an attack with a ranged weapon and take at least a -3 penalty to your attack roll, you may also attempt to disarm your foe. Your foe must be within 30' of you. By doing so, you forgo the extra damage gained by your Brutal Precision feat but gain a bonus on the disarm check equal to the extra damage you would have gained.

Resolve other modifiers on the disarm attempt (including size and Strength modifier) normally. Keep in mind that your disarm attempt is still limited by your weapon's maximum Strength bonus.

Investiture: You gain a +1 bonus on disarm attempts using this feat for each three points of prowess invested in this feat.

Special: You may not utilize this feat in conjunction with Ranged Bull-Rush, Ranged Trip, or Pin Opponent.

Ranged Trip [Investing]

Benefit: When you succeed on an attack with a ranged weapon and take at least a -3 penalty to your attack roll, you may also attempt to trip your foe. Your foe must be within 30' of you. By doing so, you forgo the extra damage gained by your Brutal Precision feat but gain a bonus on the trip check equal to the extra damage you would have gained.

Resolve other modifiers on the trip attempt (including size and Strength modifier) normally. Keep in mind that your trip attempt is still limited by your weapon's maximum Strength bonus.

Investiture: You gain a +1 bonus on trip attempts using this feat for each three points of prowess invested in this feat.

Special: You may not utilize this feat in conjunction with Ranged Bull-Rush, Ranged Disarm, or Pin Opponent.

Cespenar
2009-08-19, 03:31 PM
Pardon my bluntness, but how in earth can you bull-rush someone with an arrow?

tyckspoon
2009-08-19, 03:33 PM
Boxing-glove arrow.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-19, 03:46 PM
Pardon my bluntness, but how in earth can you bull-rush someone with an arrow?

It's a matter of style, really. You shoot them so hard they stumble backwards, for instance. Or you wield a bow that's really oversized and might as well shoot spears. Or your arrows are surrounded by mystical elven wind energy that buffets your opponent back. Or your bolts are objects of pure force. I intentionally try to leave feats I create as fluff-less as possible so that they can be used in a broad fashion.

Vadin
2009-08-19, 03:56 PM
It's a matter of style, really. You shoot them so hard they stumble backwards, for instance. Or you wield a bow that's really oversized and might as well shoot spears. Or your arrows are surrounded by mystical elven wind energy that buffets your opponent back. Or your bolts are objects of pure force. I intentionally try to leave feats I create as fluff-less as possible so that they can be used in a broad fashion.

Or your arrows are rounded and weighted instead of pointy and balanced.

Cespenar
2009-08-19, 04:06 PM
Many of those examples were properties of the weapons themselves, and while I know that d&d doesn't rely on what you may call realism, I very much like consistency in my games.

So, with the feats are already looking fine crunch-wise, my only suggestion would be to change Ranged Bull-rush with, say, Ranged Disarm and save the former to be either a special equipment or a weapon enchantment.

Flickerdart
2009-08-19, 04:07 PM
Or you shoot the ground right in front of the guy so menacingly that he scampers backwards?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-19, 04:15 PM
Many of those examples were properties of the weapons themselves, and while I know that d&d doesn't rely on what you may call realism, I very much like consistency in my games.

So, with the feats are already looking fine crunch-wise, my only suggestion would be to change Ranged Bull-rush with, say, Ranged Disarm and save the former to be either a special equipment or a weapon enchantment.

Very solid no. I'll add a Ranged Disarm feat, but I'm keeping Ranged Bull-Rush. I like it.

Willfor
2009-08-19, 04:18 PM

Why exactly are they exclusively properties of the weapons themselves?

ericgrau
2009-08-19, 04:26 PM
Tripping with an arrow or disarming by hitting the edge of a sword also seems implausible. Sure, maybe you could shoot his foot or hand, but I'd think at the very least you'd need improved precise shot and a foe that can't simply shrug off arrow pain. And to-hit penalties, definitely penalties.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-19, 04:40 PM
Tripping with an arrow or disarming by hitting the edge of a sword also seems implausible. Sure, maybe you could shoot his foot or hand, but I'd think at the very least you'd need improved precise shot and a foe that can't simply shrug off arrow pain. And to-hit penalties, definitely penalties.

All these feats require you to take at least a -3 penalty to your attack roll to make them function.

Restricting feats to "real-world plausibility" removes a lot of cinematic material and also prevents me from making fighter-types able to compete with spellcasters. This is a game set in an extraordinary world, wherein dragons are commonplace, gods walk the earth, and mere mortals transcend into nigh-divinity.

At third level, the very earliest you could get one of these combinations, a wizard can change shape into other humanoids (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm), create light that never goes out (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/continualFlame.htm), turn invisible (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/invisibility.htm), or send messages instantly across long distances (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/whisperingWind.htm). None of these things are remotely plausible in the real-world--and yet no one has any issue with spellcasters performing what amount to miracles repeatedly each day.

Non-spellcasters can have nice things too, but only if I don't stay within the bounds of "real-world plausibility". Rather, I try to stay within the bounds of "awesomenicity". Is it awesome? If yes, then there should be a feat or a spell or a skill for it. Because the game, fundamentally, is about having fun, not about simulating the real world. You want a simulation, go play The Sims. You want fun, come play d20r.

Cespenar
2009-08-19, 04:40 PM
Very solid no. I'll add a Ranged Disarm feat, but I'm keeping Ranged Bull-Rush. I like it.

In that case, I have another suggestion. The feat may require the target to be in 30' range to work, which also works in tandem with Point Blank Shot, its prerequisition.

Edit: Please, don't tell me what to do, playing Sims and all that. I don't know if this realism thing has been put upon you a lot of times, but I gave you my opinion, you refused, and that's that. Telling people to "get off if they don't like this" is really not a good way of communicating.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-19, 04:54 PM
In that case, I have another suggestion. The feat may require the target to be in 30' range to work, which also works in tandem with Point Blank Shot, its prerequisition.That makes sense. I'll add that.

Edit: Please, don't tell me what to do, playing Sims and all that. I don't know if this realism thing has been put upon you a lot of times, but I gave you my opinion, you refused, and that's that. Telling people to "get off if they don't like this" is really not a good way of communicating.

I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated with people repeatedly coming to me saying stuff like "what're you going to do to make fighters not suck?" and then poo-pooing my proffered solutions.

Cespenar
2009-08-19, 05:13 PM
I understand, and thank you.

As yet another suggestion, though you clearly have mentioned that the attacks aren't combinable, maybe something like having five ranks of prowess in both Ranged Bull-rush and Ranged Trip may allow the two to be combined, with growing attack penalties of course.

The idea is to throw opponent back and into the ground with the strength of the attack.

Flickerdart
2009-08-19, 06:15 PM
I understand, and thank you.

As yet another suggestion, though you clearly have mentioned that the attacks aren't combinable, maybe something like having five ranks of prowess in both Ranged Bull-rush and Ranged Trip may allow the two to be combined, with growing attack penalties of course.

The idea is to throw opponent back and into the ground with the strength of the attack.
A Ranged Awesome Blow, with the prerequisite of perhaps wielding a Large weapon to stay true to the original feat?

Dienekes
2009-08-19, 07:48 PM
I always thought archery would be made into one of the larger more complex feats such as Berserk Sandworm to grant abilities such as these.

Though on a whole, they do seem to fit with d20r's style and don't seem unbalanced.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-19, 07:49 PM
I always thought archery would be made into one of the larger more complex feats such as Berserk Sandworm to grant abilities such as these.

Though on a whole, they do seem to fit with d20r's style and don't seem unbalanced.

There will be an archery style feat--possibly a couple.