PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Warrior Arena mk III Fight 6

Lyndworm
2009-08-19, 05:43 PM
Eurus vs. Nefele

A towering figure in a dark robe enters the room where you have been milling around sizing up the competition. His face is completely obscured by his hood. He raises both hands to get your attention and speaks in a deep voice.
Michael, Moira. You have been chosen to fight. Prepare yourselves! With that he brings his hands down and the two of you find yourself transported to the arena (http://excessivefreetime.org/arena/arena3.html)

OOC:
You've got time for one swift action and one standard action before you get transported in case you need to adopt a stance or activate an item.

On the map, green is open terrain, yellow is difficult terrain, red/brown is the cliffs (10ft, Climb DC20, blocks LoS). Arena has a 60 foot ceiling.

Opening post should have an initiative roll, anything you said after he called your name and what, if anything you did with the 'surprise round' before being transported. After that, start fighting in initiative order.

Eurus
Michael starts at AH9.
Nefele
Moira starts at D33.

Eurus
2009-08-19, 06:04 PM
Michael mounts his steed, animates his shield, and draws his bow before being transported.

You automatically win initiative.

nefele
2009-08-19, 06:39 PM
PREP ROUND
Before the battle begins, Moira initiates a martial stance and speaks softly a single word.
Swift Action: Child of Shadow stance
Standard Action: activate Scout's Headband, for See Invisibility (lasts 100 rounds)

OOC: Sorry for the delay, I just saw the thread. I guess I'll pm Lynd for LoS assessments.

Lyndworm
2009-08-19, 06:50 PM
OOC:
No line of sight established.

nefele
2009-08-19, 07:05 PM
ROUND 1

The gloura flies up towards the centre of the Arena. A griffon can't be hard to found.

Come out, Paladin!
she shouts amiably and looks around.
Knights like yourself shouldn't be sneaky!

Position (visible from everywhere, I would think) : M-26, 40ft above ground.

Designate the Griffon as my Dodge target. (If I can't now, will do as soon as I can see it).
Swift action: Law Devotion, +7 sacred bonus to AC.
Double move to M-26.

STATS
AC 63 (griffon: 64)
Touch 59 (griffon: 60)
Flat-Footed 63 (uncanny dodge) (griffon 64)
without Dex bonus 50
concealment (20% miss chance Vs melee and ranged, from Child of Shadow)

Law Devotion rounds left: 10
HP: 140

Eurus
2009-08-19, 07:27 PM
The gloura spots Michael and Silvertide, perched atop a cliff at AH-9. He also sees her, and immediately spurs his griffon to fly south. While it does, he draws back his bow, training an arrow on Moira, but does not fire. "This time, you will lose, girl!"

OOC:
Flying to AN-1, 10 feet above ground level.

Michael activates his bow's True Strike property. Silvertide readies his remaining move action to fly away if Moira gets within 30 feet of him.

EDIT: Hold on, forgot to add something.

EDIT 2: There we go. Nothing visible.

nefele
2009-08-19, 07:38 PM
ROUND 2

Ah, there they are. Moira continues flying, straight towards Michael this time. Her hands are empty.

What are you doing there in the corner, knight? There's no back door!

Position: Y-14, 40 ft up.
Double move to Y-14.

STATS
without Dex bonus 50

Law Devotion rounds left: 9
HP: 140

Eurus
2009-08-19, 08:06 PM
Michael only grins, and suddenly Silvertide streaks through the air, crossing the entire span of the arena in less than five seconds. A shower of arrows flies up from beneath Moira as the paladin passes beneath, each one charged with divine power.

OOC:
Sorry, Silvertide is actually occupying AN-1 through AN-2. I keep forgetting the fact that he's large. Anyway.

Silvertide uses a full-round action to run to A-40, clear on the opposite corner of the board, and lands on the ground. He remains a good 20 feet away from Moira at his closest point since she's 40 feet in the air.

Meanwhile, Michael full attacks Moira, using Improved Rapid Shot for an extra attack at no penalty and Divine Might for an extra +5 to damage. The Splitting property copies each shot he makes, requiring a new roll at the same attack bonus, so the first two arrows he shoots both benefit from True Strike. Since they're each separate attacks, he makes both of the true-striking arrows into ranged smite attempts (using 2 of his 4 smites for the day), so they get another +5 to hit and +15 to damage.

Silvertide uses his swift action to activate Travel Devotion, and Michael activates Air Devotion. Both last for 1 minute. I should've done that last turn, dangit. >_> If that mistake is what kills me, I'll be very irritated.

Rolls:
[roll0]; [roll1]+[roll2]
[roll3]; [roll4]+[roll5]

The other 6 only hit on a natural 20.
[roll6]; [roll7]+[roll8]
[roll9]; [roll10]+[roll11]
[roll12]; [roll13]+[roll14]
[roll15]; [roll16]+[roll17]
[roll18]; [roll19]+[roll20]
[roll21]; [roll22]+[roll23]

nefele
2009-08-19, 08:53 PM
OOC: Sorry, the PC crashed... First attack hits, I take 28 damage (38 if that was a cold iron arrow or you can somehow bypass DR). I'll post actions in a minute.

Eurus
2009-08-19, 08:54 PM
Nope, can't overcome cold iron DR. I would've sprung for the Force bow, but I couldn't afford it. :smallsmile:

nefele
2009-08-19, 09:28 PM
ROUND 3

Ouch! That was... nothing, really.
Moira comments, confidently, and prepares to hunt her prey.

She flies towards the north-east corner tremendously fast, and just when you'd think she's spent, she dives to the paladin, drawing her short sword at last.

IAAIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!

Spoilered for aesthetics, read on:
Swift action: Belt of Battle, 3 charges for a full round action
Full round action: run to F-40

Move/standard action: Flyby attack, descend to Michael for 50 ft movement (if I counted wrong, cause 3D combat is a pain, please assume that I ran until the point I'm 50 ft away from you). With Tumble check (automatic success), no AoO.

Free action: draw short sword before attacking

Free action: 1 inspiration point to Iaijutsu Focus skill check (+3)

Standard action: Death From Above. Requires DC 20 Jump Check (automatic success) which makes you flat footed.

Free action: 1 inspiration point to damage (+6).

With the rest of the move action, I move back 10 ft and end up in D40, 10ft above ground.

Attack bonus: +27 + 4 (slippers) + 2 (shadow hand stance)=+33
Damage: 1d6+11 fire+7 (shadow blade)+4d6 (death from above) +IF damage + 6 (inspiration point) + 11 (slippers)

Attack:
[roll0] Vs Michael's flat-footed AC

Damage:
[roll1] normal + 11 fire + Iaijutsu Focus (to be calculated later)
Iaijutsu Focus skill check: [roll2]

STATS
without Dex bonus 50

Inspiration points left: 1
Law Devotion rounds left: 8
HP: 112

nefele
2009-08-19, 09:29 PM
Iaijutsu Focus damage: [roll0]

EDIT: I'm counting 152 damage +11 fire. Did it work?
EDIT2: Sorry, the attack modifier is two less (I counted the bonus from Shadow Hand property twice by mistake), so the attack roll is 44. It doesn't matter, though, does it?

Eurus
2009-08-19, 09:32 PM
And there's the Belt of Battle I was worried about. That's why I should've activated Silvertide's Travel Devotion a round earlier, so I could've readied an action to stay out of range. :smallsigh: Shame the ceiling is only 60 feet up, too. >_>

Michael is cut in half by the strike, showering the ground below with gore.

nefele
2009-08-19, 09:43 PM
Rest in peace, knight.

Travel Devotion is a VERY useful feat. I hadn't noticed he had it, otherwise I'd be much less, confident.:smalleek:

And now, can you answer me a question, please? I never understood how mounted combat works. :smalltongue: Can you attack or even full attack in the same round your mount is moving or running? Just like that? I ask because there's a PrC in Complete Adventurer, Wild Plains Outrider, with this ability:

Wild Plains Offensive (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a wild plains outrider can make a full attack with a melee weapon as long as his mount takes only a single move.

Why would you need a special ability from a PrC to do that, if you're allowed to do it anyway? Is there a difference between ranged and melee? And where on earth are the rules for mounted combat, anyway?

Thanks... :)

Eurus
2009-08-19, 09:47 PM
With a melee weapon, no. You can only make 1 attack if your mount makes a single move, I believe, and none if it moves more than that. But a bow works fine, because you can shoot while your mount moves. You take penalties if it double-moves or runs, though, but Mounted Combat and Improved Mounted Combat reduce them.

I'm not sure where the rules are, page-wise... I use the SRD for most things. Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm), about halfway down the page.

nefele
2009-08-19, 09:52 PM
Oh, there it is!
Thanks, I don't know how I'd missed that. It actually explains everything. :)

Lyndworm
2009-08-19, 10:20 PM
Match Finalized.

Nefele/Moira, Victor
Wins 1/Losses 0

Eurus/Michael of the Veldt, Victim
Wins 1/Losses 1