PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Spells and Feats for a Spider Shaman

Warclam
2009-08-19, 06:31 PM
I'm working on a new character, a jungle kobold Spirit Shaman (venerable and dragonwrought, naturally) with a spider spirit guide. This guy was raised in a temple to a sort of great spider spirit, and actually served as the head shaman for a time before [event pending backstory completion]. As such, his spells retrieved are probably going to reflect his penchant for arachnids. I'm looking for spider-themed spells from the druid spell list for him to use. So far what I've seen:

1st level:
—spider hand (flavoured as his spirit guide itself manifesting to help out)
2nd level:
—spider climb
—summon swarm
3rd level:
—spiderskin
—venomfire (see below)
4th level:
—giant vermin

As you can see, it needs work.

Also, I have a question about feats. My current plan is to buy the Poison Fangs graft from Serpent Kingdoms, then take the feats Spit Venom and Deadly Spittle from the same book, to be able to have an at-will 15-foot cone of venomfire, with the option of a ranged touch or just a bite to deliver the same effect. This is obviously potent, but I worry it's a little one-trick pony (why hello, acid-immune enemy!). Would I be better off taking some more versatile feats, like metamagic or Spontaneous Summoner or something? There's also the flavourful option of using Planar Touchstone –> Catalogues of Enlightenment –> Spider Domain to be able to go into the woods and rebuke me up some spider vassals, but again one-trick pony-esque.

Any help you could offer would be very much appreciated.

imperialspectre
2009-08-19, 06:41 PM
As a rule, it's okay to have one major trick that you use most of the time if that trick is good enough. An at-will attack that poisons and does CLd6 in acid damage is usually considered "good enough."

Druid seems strictly better than Spirit Shaman for this specific purpose; there's an ACF in Drow of the Underdark that lets you wildshape into a monstrous spider instead of an animal. From the same book, Armored Vermin is nice for any spiders you summon.

thegurullamen
2009-08-19, 06:46 PM
--Summon Animal can be retooled to vermin
--There's a Wujen spell that lets her grow legs like a spider. It can probably be Rule Zero'd into your list.
--I'm not sure if any exist, but see if there are any spider soulmelds from Magic of Incarnum. You can probably pick one up with a feat.
--Aside from all of that, just retool your current spells to involve spiders. I can't think of any specifics right now, but you seem imaginative enough. You should be able to do it without much problem.

Myrmex
2009-08-19, 06:58 PM
Could you use Energy Substitution with your breath weapon to convert it into fire or cold damage? Also, it will make a great tool to get through obstacles. CL d6 straight to most objects.

Very cool concept, by the way.

Warclam
2009-08-19, 07:37 PM
Could you use Energy Substitution with your breath weapon to convert it into fire or cold damage? Also, it will make a great tool to get through obstacles. CL d6 straight to most objects.

Very cool concept, by the way.

Yes, I could. The difficulty is, a spirit shaman chooses his spells at the beginning of the day, including any metamagic, and then casts spontaneously from those choices. I'd have to prepare a regular venomfire, then an energy-substituted venomfire. That's 2/3 of my 3rd-level spells retrieved for spells I am going to cast maybe a maximum of four times a day, combined.

Now, there is the possibility of purchasing a metamagic rod of Energy Substitution, which would last pretty much as long as needed since venomfire is an hour/level spell. I assume I'd have to pick the energy type to substitute when I buy the rod, sadly, but it would still be a good investment. I have no idea what the price would be for a metamagic rod of a 0-adjustment metamagic feat, though. Half what it is for a 1? If I decide to go ahead with the venom-spitting thing, that's something to keep in mind.

Thanks, by the way :smallsmile:

As a rule, it's okay to have one major trick that you use most of the time if that trick is good enough. An at-will attack that poisons and does CLd6 in acid damage is usually considered "good enough."

Druid seems strictly better than Spirit Shaman for this specific purpose; there's an ACF in Drow of the Underdark that lets you wildshape into a monstrous spider instead of an animal. From the same book, Armored Vermin is nice for any spiders you summon.

Yeah, I guess it does pretty much qualify, doesn't it? I get the poison part even in an antimagic field, too :smallbiggrin:

I'm inclined to agree that a druid would be better, but the trouble is, I really like some of the SS's class features, and I hate preparing spells. Yeah, yeah, Spirit Shamans (Shamen? Shamana?) prepare spells too... except they don't. I find choosing what spells I have for the day to be a fun mental exercise, it's choosing how many of each that drives me nuts.

Armored Vermin would be great if I find myself doing a lot of vermin-summoning, yeah, good catch. If I don't, though, it's pretty much strictly worse than spiderskin. I guess I'll only retrieve it if I'm planning to summon that day :smallwink:

--Summon Animal can be retooled to vermin
--There's a Wujen spell that lets her grow legs like a spider. It can probably be Rule Zero'd into your list.
--I'm not sure if any exist, but see if there are any spider soulmelds from Magic of Incarnum. You can probably pick one up with a feat.
--Aside from all of that, just retool your current spells to involve spiders. I can't think of any specifics right now, but you seem imaginative enough. You should be able to do it without much problem.

Hmm, good ideas. I haven't been able to find the spell you mention, but I think I can remember it. It's like spider climb, but you can still use your hands, right? Anyone know where it is?

The only spider soulmeld is based on phase spiders, and is sadly rather lackluster.

Considering my DM's rather poor opinion of monstrous spiders, I bet I can get him to allow me to add them to my summon nature's ally lists. Maybe I should take Spontaneous Summoner after all.

I definitely like the idea of judicious use of reflavouring. Any good spell can be spiderized with a healthy dose of imagination! Glad I seem imaginitive enough to pull it off :smallsmile:

SoD
2009-08-19, 07:42 PM
Check the Underdark book, there's a bunch of spider-themed spells, as well as an Arachnomancer prestige class.

Warclam
2009-08-19, 08:12 PM
Check the Underdark book, there's a bunch of spider-themed spells, as well as an Arachnomancer prestige class.

Some good stuff in there. Not a lot of new spells, but it does have the excellent spiderskin. The Arachnomancer is arcane, unfortunately; but its list of summon monstrous spider spells should be a useful source for what level spider-summoning ought to be.

Set
2009-08-19, 09:26 PM
Considering my DM's rather poor opinion of monstrous spiders, I bet I can get him to allow me to add them to my summon nature's ally lists. Maybe I should take Spontaneous Summoner after all.

The web-throwing ability of Monstrous Spiders is pretty hot. Even if it's easily broken free from, it's going to waste an action for the victim.

Makes for a decent debuff as a combat option.