PDA

View Full Version : Theories and Guesses: Rich keep out :P

scalien
2009-08-19, 08:12 PM
Ok, I'm a big lover of this story and have finally delurked to blurt out a few theories I've come to.

I'm not sure if this needs spoiler tags and I'm not sure how to do them so I'll fire away anyway. I apologize in advance and warn people now to preceed at your own peril!

First theory:

Durkon's fate:

Drukon is the subjest (target? victim?) of 2 prophecies Onestates he will bring doom to the Dwarf lands when he returns to them. The second is that he will return to his homelands posthumously.

Another other thing we know is that Kraagor's Gate is in the north. Now Rich's world has a nice feel of scale to it but how close to the gate is Drukon's Homeland?

And if things go badly at Girard's Gate (cause that has never happened in this comic) then how plausable is it to have a battered reduced Order arrive in the dwarflands with dead in tow and an very mean and angry lich on their heels? How feasible would it be for Xykon's army to destroy the Dwarves there?

Now Theory 2:

Belkar's prophecy is simply he is going to die, breath his last and not be long for this world. A very final pronouncement based on all be know.

But the last strip made me wonder. How much do the gods know about The World Within? If they are blind to it, and someone traveled to it.... Such as Belkar being dragged into the rift.... then he would be gone as far as they knew.... and Tiamat gave the Oracle his foresight so wouldn't he be limited by her limitations?

My theory then is that Belkar and possibly other members of the order will enter The World Within and of them, Belkar will either be forced to stay with a heroic sacrifice of some sort, or that he will like the place and chose to stay.

Anyway. Those are my two buckets of fuel for the speculation fires.:smallcool:

Watcher
2009-08-19, 08:32 PM
*casts Protection from Flames on scalien so he doesn't drop to -42 hp in the first round of combat*

Olorin Maia
2009-08-19, 09:58 PM
As OdinsWatcher implied, most/all of these have been said before, although I have personally not seen such an impressive collection in one go.

scalien
2009-08-19, 11:23 PM
Ah well, I thought I had read most of the speculation and figures I missed what covered what I thought were good ideas.

mofabulous
2009-08-19, 11:54 PM
Belkar sacrificing himself to save the team. Oh the irony :smallamused:

David Argall
2009-08-20, 03:07 AM
Spoiler tags are [ spoiler] text [ /spoiler], without the spaces.

Now these are two different predictions, and so two different threads are better. However...

Durkon I am not at all sure here, but I prefer the idea that Durkon will die on the Western continent or maybe later, and will be raised, following which the party heads to the final gate.

Belkar is going to die, period. However, that does not mean he will leave the story. In fact, he may well take a quite active party as a stiff. One possibility is that he will be able to derail the fiends' plot because he is dead.
The new world will be visited by the entire party.

nysisobli
2009-08-20, 10:15 AM
I just want to point out, when belkar does go to the new world, and doesn't come back, look in the archives. I called that first

Gift Jeraff
2009-08-20, 11:16 AM
I am honestly stumped when it comes to Durkon's prophecies. Anything can happen with them...

However, I'm in the "Belkar is going to die and stay that way--forever" camp. Mostly, I think this can lead to a tearjerker-y scene with Mr. Scruffy going up to Belkar's corpse in a Please Wake Up (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PleaseWakeUp) kind of moment.

Morgan Wick
2009-08-20, 08:34 PM
As OdinsWatcher implied, most/all of these have been said before, although I have personally not seen such an impressive collection in one go.

I thought he was talking about the spelling and grammar issues.

Hitorijun
2009-08-21, 09:46 AM
Doesn't prosthumously mean "after death"? So doesn't the first proficy for Durkon mean that he would return to his homeland after he dies? Either die and be resurected or die then be sent back to his homelands to be buried?

And can someone please point me in the direction of the second proficy?

P.s. Sorry for all the bad spelling. :)

fangthane
2009-08-21, 10:14 AM
The first (chronologically) is in OtOoPCs, while the second was given to him when the party visited the Oracle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html). I can't recall whether 331 was out prior to the book's publication, but in either case those are the sources for Durkon's two prophecies. If you don't have the book this won't help a lot since neither I nor anyone else with a scrap of sense will be posting the strips from the book, but it might provide you with the incentive to order them if you haven't already. :smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2009-08-22, 05:29 AM
Interesting note: I wonder if V's familicide indescretions and the fact that the Oracles predictions come from Tiamat will have any connection later on.