PDA

View Full Version : Dust 514

imp_fireball
2009-08-19, 11:02 PM
http://www.massively.com/2009/08/18/ccp-games-reveals-new-eve-online-console-mmo-dust-514/

An MMOFPS that's actually intelligent? Unbelievable and blasphemous.

SurlySeraph
2009-08-19, 11:09 PM
Hm. I like FPSes, and I've always been interested in the EVE Online universe but turned off by the whole "It takes countless months to build up any money, and everyone has more experience than you and is trying to screw you over" aspect of it. I might want to try this.

Brother Oni
2009-08-20, 02:14 AM
It's the same for any MMO - it takes a while at the start before you can begin to build up any real money. If anything, getting money in EVE is quicker (although not necessarily easier) as you can build up a large amount of money fairly early on by trading.

As for the 'everybody has more experience than you', again it's the same as when you start any MMO. You don't expect to compete with the level 80s in WoW after your first week. Conversely, a two week old player will be useful in a fight to older players in EVE, while I believe a level 20 couldn't even scratch a level 80.

As for the 'everybody is trying to screw you over', congratulations. Your healthy sense of paranoia will take you far in EVE. :smallbiggrin: One of the most important things about EVE is that it is not a solo game. Get into a good corporation (guild), be patient and show willingness to learn and you'll racking up the kill mails with the best of them in no time.

Anyway, back onto DUST-514, I'd be interested how they tie this in with current EVE sovereignty mechanics, or whether they'd be re-done especially.

I'd probably be in orbit supplying supporting fire, although given the general accuracy of long range weapons, it might make for very amusing gameplay: "Sorry about the friendly fire, +/- 300m is quite accurate from up here..." :smallbiggrin:

Mr._Blinky
2009-08-20, 10:47 AM
Man, I really want this, almost purely because I love MMOFPSs. It's such a great concept that no one really seems to use. Just the idea of having entire armies duking it out on a massive map is amazing. I loved Planetside for instance, but the game's old enough at this point that I'm not really willing to shell out $15 monthly to play. :(

It looks pretty cool too, how they're going to work it in with the existing EVE gameplay. Never played EVE, but I've heard it's amazingly deep and addicting, and I hope that this game is the same way. It looks like their giving you some seriously interesting choices on vehicles too, a la Planetside, so I'm looking forward to that.

I hope that they do equipment off of a persistent money system, just like in most other MMOs. It would be amazing if you had to buy your own weapons, gear, armor, or (crossing my fingers here) vehicles. I'd love to see someone who instead of going out for better guns or grenades, goes out a spends their money on a suped-up APC of dropship.

Actually, come to think of it and slightly off topic, in the mean-time before this game comes out does anyone know of any other MMOFPSs besides Planetside? Preferably free, at least on a monthly basis.