PDA

View Full Version : Violation of OOTS?

Tawmis
2009-08-19, 11:42 PM
I was surprised to see this if Giant isn't a part of doing this...

http://redvsblue.com/groups/news/entry.php?id=22782

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo294/Prophet_Of_Food/guestcomic-1.png

Just thought I'd point it out...

NerfTW
2009-08-19, 11:45 PM
He doesn't own every stick figure in existence. And what is the Red Vs Blue one? You need an account to see it.

Tawmis
2009-08-19, 11:46 PM
The artistic style is EXACTLY the same... and that's why I linked the photobucket account where the image is hosted.

BRC
2009-08-19, 11:50 PM
The artistic style is EXACTLY the same... and that's why I linked the photobucket account where the image is hosted.
Still. you cannot copywright a style. I mean, lots of people on this very forum use a style imitatting OOTS.
Unless it's directly copied from his art, or using his characters, the Giant couldn't do anything about it if he wanted to.

Tawmis
2009-08-19, 11:54 PM
Still. you cannot copywright a style. I mean, lots of people on this very forum use a style imitatting OOTS.
Unless it's directly copied from his art, or using his characters, the Giant couldn't do anything about it if he wanted to.

It's just amazing that I found no credit given to the site here... even if it wasn't copyright infrig... I saw the strip and my first thought was, "These people used Rich's style. I mean down to the three fingered U shape hands and everything!"

Zevox
2009-08-19, 11:57 PM
This. Just go over to the Fan Comics section of this forum and you'll find numerous comics done in the Giant's style. Heck, one of those fan comics, Anti-Heroes, even grew large enough that it left these boards and has it's own site (http://antiheroescomic.com/comic) now. And that's perfectly fine, since it's not a violation of anything to simply mimic someone else's art style.

Zevox

Prowl
2009-08-19, 11:58 PM
It's not exact, but it is clearly an imitation (not a bad one, imho - lettering is slightly too small though). The Giant puts a lot more work into details and backgrounds.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-20, 12:04 AM
note that it doesn't even violate Charlie and the chocolate factory, being a parody.
no one can copywrite an artistic style. The person who created these strip may have never even heard of OOTS. Stick figures are actually a very common style for comics.
Stephen king doesn't have a copyright on creepy stories. nor does anne rice own all vampire stories. Rich doesn't get paid everytime someone draws a stick figure.

The Recreator
2009-08-20, 01:50 AM
My apologies; I do credit Order of the Stick on the main site (http://folksoftheforum.smackjeeves.com/comics/), my RvB site profile (http://redvsblue.com/therecreator) and in every reply I give to people's compliments on "my" art style. Part of my mission in using the OotS style is to spread Rich Burlew's comic to other sites. (The other part is simply that I can't draw, so I prefer to use mathmatically-based vector art.) Frankly, I'm humbled that my comic attracted attention in the Giant in the Playground forum without me even mentioning it.

Copyright and due credit are also a constant concern of mine, with the only reason I don't put a reference to this site in every post being sheer laziness. If it makes you feel more comfortable, I can edit in a banner to the Giant in the Playground into each post. That's a bit of a specialty of the specific community where I come from, in fact.:smalltongue:

(P.S.: Take some time to browse through my *proper* comics. The one you see linked here is just a filler provided by a friend.:smallwink:)

Shpadoinkle
2009-08-20, 03:57 AM
Perhaps you should take a look at this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody)

Souhiro
2009-08-20, 07:30 AM
Well, It's clearly an homage, or just drawing in OOtS style. But I don't see where do anybody rapes the Sacred Order of Stick comic.

I mean, not ever his characters appears.

NerfTW
2009-08-20, 08:26 AM

And Rich didn't invent that style either.

littlequietguy
2009-08-20, 10:21 AM
That... Isn't how copyright law works.

Yiuel
2009-08-20, 10:39 AM
Should Tezuka Osamu have sued most post-Tezuka mangaka for drawing large eyes? (For that matter, Tezuka himself gives credit to Disney's Mickey for the eyes.) Art is inspired by art, and nothing is new under the sun, as it is said at tvtropes.org.

Most of us fell in love with the expressivity Rich puts in stick figures. Stick figures, please! To the point some of us litterally cry and some heartwarming scenes. (I always cry when I see Roy's reunion with his younger brother.) Some of us, good enough to draw (at least in that style), have borrowed the style, adapting it, playing with it and other things.

For my part, I've drawn a couple of OotS-style artworks, and they're pretty close to Rich's style, but I've added my own touches, deliberately going against some rules of the basic style, we might say. I actually have fun pointing out where I take my style from, because I appreciate Rich's work. Art begets art, and I think most people here have acknowledged their inspiration.

Still, I feel the OP is right in that people should give due credit, even without copyright infringment. RvB's creator did it, and most of us, I hope, do it as well. That's pretty much the best way, except buying his work, we can thank Rich for what he did.

[/my proverbial two copper pieces]

The Beta
2009-08-20, 11:23 AM
Still, I feel the OP is right in that people should give due credit, even without copyright infringment. RvB's creator did it, and most of us, I hope, do it as well. That's pretty much the best way, except buying his work, we can thank Rich for what he did.

We, as The Recreator said, his comics are credited to Rich, but as most people who read the comic know of its origins, the credit has been moved to the main site page, and his many other journals that contain a mention of his comic, but not the actual comics themselves.:smallredface:

Also, this comic was a guest version (by me), so if you liked it (and lets face it, if you didn't like OoTS style, you wouldn't be here:smallwink:), check out Recreators comics on the page he linked.:smallsmile:

Yiuel
2009-08-20, 12:50 PM
We, as The Recreator said, his comics are credited to Rich, but as most people who read the comic know of its origins, the credit has been moved to the main site page, and his many other journals that contain a mention of his comic, but not the actual comics themselves.:smallredface:

Also, this comic was a guest version (by me), so if you liked it (and lets face it, if you didn't like OoTS style, you wouldn't be here:smallwink:), check out Recreators comics on the page he linked.:smallsmile:

I sure will :)

Flame of Anor
2009-08-23, 01:09 AM
You know, this is just a bit crazy. In a general way, no specific person is implicated as crazy, though of course most of us are. On the one hand we have people saying, Oh here is my OotS Flash game, almost every month, but here we have someone (not alone by any means) who thinks the Giant's intellectual property goes farther than it does. It's a mad, mad, mad, mad, mad world.

Puns de León
2009-08-23, 02:06 AM
And Rich didn't invent that style either.

Are you sure? Obviously, he didn't invent stick figures, but this particular style of his is quite distinct, and a lot of people seem to be copying it. Is there any evidence of someone using it before 2003?

Here's another webcomic I found that employs it.

http://www.smtenterprises.com/Comics.html

Lissou
2009-08-23, 08:58 AM
I'm pretty sure Rich invented that specific style - the two different eyes, the general proportions, the hands... Sure he didn't invent stick figures but this style is specific enough that it's definitely his.

But as was said before you can't actually copyright a style.

Killer Angel
2009-08-24, 03:57 AM
But as was said before you can't actually copyright a style.

Yep, but someone is trying (http://theartlawblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/copyright-in-painting-style.html) to do it.

Zolkabro
2009-08-24, 04:43 AM
For some reason none of you have noticed that the strip we are all talking about is a guest strip.

NerfTW
2009-08-24, 08:38 AM
/Scottish accent
Willy noticed.

Willy don't care.
/Scottish accent