PDA

View Full Version : A-Level Results

Stadge
2009-08-20, 12:12 AM
... Any other Brits getting their's today? Or Scottish Highers?

I'm really quite nervous now.

Milskidasith
2009-08-20, 12:18 AM
For those of us not from Britain, what are A level results?

Flame of Anor
2009-08-20, 12:23 AM
I think they're like...um...tests...like SATs maybe?

[/notbritishexceptinlineage]

Stadge
2009-08-20, 12:27 AM

Sorry about not clarifying, that'd be the infamous nerves typing :smalleek:

But they're the results of our college/sixth form exams and pretty much determine if we'll get into our choice of university or not.

Or for a wiki-explanation

The Advanced Level General Certificate of Education, universally referred to as an A level, is a qualification offered by education institutions in England, Northern Ireland and Wales and by a small minority of institutions, typically private, in Scotland. (In Scotland, students usually take Highers and Advanced Highers of the Scottish Qualifications Certificate instead). A levels are usually studied over a two year period and are widely recognised around the world, as well as being the qualification that is the most common method used by British Universities to determine an applicant's suitability for academic subjects.

Hope that helps.

Milskidasith
2009-08-20, 01:10 AM
Ah, it is like the SAT/ACT here. I was worried about my results when I took them, but I did very well (I'm taking them again this year; I have some small room for improvement on my scores, but I won't be worried.)

Starscream
2009-08-20, 01:28 AM
Yeah, I remember taking the ACTs and being a complete nervous wreck. I ended up doing just fine (98th percentile) but for some reason for the days before getting the results I was utterly convinced I had done horribly, and would have to scramble to do it again.

Milskidasith
2009-08-20, 01:38 AM
I didn't want to brag, but now that somebody else did I feel no moral obligations not to: 99th percentile on every category (except writing, I kind of bombed that). 35 overall out of 36. Go me! (Also, good for you on the 98th percentile thing).

Jibar
2009-08-20, 01:41 AM
I'll tell ya'll mine later.
Right now I'm wishing UCAS would just tell me if I got my place.

Lorn
2009-08-20, 01:43 AM
I know I failed one really really badly.

It's the others I want to know about...

Dr. Bath
2009-08-20, 01:48 AM
Aaaah.

AAaaaah.

Aaah.

I don't like waiting.

Woo! Got in to Manchester Uni! Which means that I at least got an A in Physics. Probably an A in something else, but I can't be sure.

Phew.

Totally Guy
2009-08-20, 02:22 AM

Using the internationally accepted standard...

British GCSEs are OWLs.
And British A-Levels are NEWTs.

:smalltongue:

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-20, 02:26 AM
Do the A-level results come considerably later than the Scottish Highers, then?

GrlumpTheElder
2009-08-20, 02:41 AM
Just got my AS results.

Woo, A in Theatre Studies!!!!

Woo! Got in to Manchester Uni! Which means that I at least got an A in Physics. Probably an A in something else, but I can't be sure.

That's one of the Unis I'm looking at. What will you be doing there?

Headless_Ninja
2009-08-20, 02:54 AM
Oh dear oh dear. Just looked on UCAS and I've failed to get into either of my choices. This confirms my theory that I screwed up Biology, but now I'm panicking that I've screwed up the others too. No major angst until I actually get my results, but I'm kind of annoyed because I thought that I worked pretty hard for these.
Oh well - clearing, here I come!

Dihan
2009-08-20, 02:56 AM
Well I got into my firm choice so I'm happy. I must have done something right! :smallsmile:

Headless_Ninja
2009-08-20, 03:20 AM
Oh, and congratulations to everyone that got into the unis they wanted to go to. (See, I'm not bitter, honest).

potatocubed
2009-08-20, 03:59 AM
Nothing wrong with clearing. Plenty of fine, upstanding people with potato-based usernames went through clearing.

Phaedra
2009-08-20, 04:02 AM
Yep. My dad went through clearing for his first degree and he's now doing a PhD at the University of Manchester. It's a perfectly decent way to get into uni :smallsmile:

Oh, and good luck to everyone getting results. I hope you all get what you need.

Exeson
2009-08-20, 04:07 AM
I don't see why people get so worked up with results, you can't do anything to change them now so why be nervous?

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-20, 04:16 AM
Nothing wrong with clearing. Plenty of fine, upstanding people with potato-based usernames went through clearing.

Same here. Don't worry about it too much. Admittedly mine was easy as hell because I'd seriously overestimated how wel I was going to do and applied for places that needed A's (hahahahaha). When I accepted I wasn't going to get them my dad went into overdrive making me spend my time building spreadsheets of places that would take me on History with my expected grades, as well as costs therin. Clearing day and I was one of the first in the pub because everyone else had to scramble for phone numbers.

I also had a friend who didn't even apply, refused to fill in any of the UCAS stuff because he was determined to be a "rebel" I guess. Results day and he actually didn't do too badly, phoned up Edge Hill (his exact opening gambit was "These are my grades, I don't have a UCAS number, what will you give me) because all of his friends were going there anyway and eneded up doing Biology, which he is now looking into a Masters.

So al in all, don't fret too much. If you don't do as well as you hoped, there's always somewhere that'll offer you a place on a course very similar to the one you wanted. And besides, finding out you're moving to York instead of staying in Liverpool without consulting her first will annoy the hell out of your mum :smallbiggrin:

Yep. My dad went through clearing for his first degree and he's now doing a PhD at the University of Manchester. It's a perfectly decent way to get into uni :smallsmile:...

She speaks the truth. No-one (tutors or students) will ever think less of you for coming through clearing.

Totally Guy
2009-08-20, 04:37 AM
Same here. Don't worry about it too much. Admittedly mine was easy as hell because I'd seriously overestimated how wel I was going to do and applied for places that needed A's (hahahahaha).

You went through clearing to get into York? Last year they were in the the top ten of newspaper's rankings.

Dihan
2009-08-20, 04:39 AM
Clearing may not be that bad but the teachers do give it stigma it doesn't deserve.

Anyway, I got my results:

A in Philosophy, B in English Literature, C in Music and C in Sociology. Not too bad for a below average education in a place where education is below waste disposal on the council's agenda.

Project_Mayhem
2009-08-20, 04:57 AM
Wait, theres Gitp-ers at York Uni? Awesome!

Are you at York or York st-johns?

dish
2009-08-20, 05:09 AM
Congrats to all who've done well.

Headless_Ninja: I got into Edinburgh University on clearing - and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Don't worry about it at all.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-20, 05:26 AM
Wait, theres Gitp-ers at York Uni? Awesome!

Are you at York or York st-johns?

Sorry, should have specified York St. John. Although technically because it only became a university (as opposed to a college) a year before I joined, I think my degree is going to say I went to Leeds.

You went through clearing to get into York? Last year they were in the the top ten of newspaper's rankings.

Very true, but all that really matters is that they didn't have the girl who got me into D&D by dressing up for Freshers Fair, wielding a Wooden Sword, and refusing to talk to people unless they ended every sentence with Arrrr (Talk like a Pirate Day :smallbiggrin:).

Clearing may not be that bad but the teachers do give it stigma it doesn't deserve.

Anyway, I got my results:

A in Philosophy, B in English Literature, C in Music and C in Sociology. Not too bad for a below average education in a place where education is below waste disposal on the council's agenda.

Congrats. Maybe it was my uber-laziness, but n A at A-Level seems pretty damn impressive to me.

Jibar
2009-08-20, 06:02 AM
So I didn't get in...

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-20, 06:03 AM
Don't worry Jibar, cat-muffins will rule the world and you can have your revenge.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-20, 06:12 AM
For those of you who fail to get in, don't worry. There where more people appling this year than any other year. Thanks to the magic of recession. If you get good but not amazing results however, odds are that you can get in via clearing regardless.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-20, 06:31 AM
I'm in uni at the moment and the woman at Reception looks like shes about to go on a killing spree. I've been here 15 minutes and she must have redirected 100 calls from people using the wrong number for clearing.

Edit: Apparently we have 12 people and a dedicated Clearing line and they're all jammed to hell.

@Jibar: Also keep your chin (do muffins have chins?) up. With but few exceptions there'll be somewhere that will offer what you want to study. Unless what you want to study is Ancient Greek Language with Video Game Design and a Minor in Fashion, but what are the odds of that? <really hoping thats not what you applied for now, or I'll like a right ****>

KuReshtin
2009-08-20, 06:52 AM
This is a very useful link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121099) for anyone in the York area...

BisectedBrioche
2009-08-20, 06:57 AM
Well this topic takes me back. I passed my A levels about 3 years ago, managed to get a full set (an A, B, C, D and an E for a subject I'd dropped at AS level).

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-20, 07:03 AM
Also, for anyone feeling like their grades aren't good enough, I got a C in English Lit/Lang, an E in History and an A/S Level D in Computing. And that was enough to get me a clearing place in a History course (the subject I was shooting for originally anyway).

So stay calm, and if all else fails give YSJ a call, we'll take anybody (even me) :smallbiggrin:

banjo1985
2009-08-20, 09:12 AM
I recommend Aston University, if you need to go through clearing phone our university! That way we can't make our phonecalls in our department :smallbiggrin:

Congrats to all who did well, and to those who didn't I can only say it's not the end of the world. Even if clearing isn't for you, you can always redo the year.

Stadge
2009-08-20, 12:24 PM
Huzzahhedge! Got my results and I'll be off to Cambridge in October :smallbiggrin:

Also wanted to say congrats to all of those who'ev got into their university of choice, and to those of you in clearing, I'm sure everything will work out for you. *celebratory and hopeful hugs*

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-20, 12:41 PM
Huzzahhedge! Got my results and I'll be off to Cambridge in October :smallbiggrin:

Also wanted to say congrats to all of those who'ev got into their university of choice, and to those of you in clearing, I'm sure everything will work out for you. *celebratory and hopeful hugs*

Cambridge...congratulations and well done. Just make sure you own a least 6 bikes, because according to the side of a bus I saw 5 are stolen every day in student towns like that, so even if you're seriously unlucky, you'll still have a spare :smallwink:

Seriously though, well done.

Stadge
2009-08-20, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=Kobold-Bard;6762476]Cambridge...congratulations and well done. Just make sure you own a least 6 bikes, because according to the side of a bus I saw 5 are stolen every day in student towns like that, so even if you're seriously unlucky, you'll still have a spare :smallwink:[QUOTE]

Ah thank you, I'm really quite happy about it (probably an understatement), the ASNC course looks amazing. And ah I'll certainly think about it, thanks for the advice :smalltongue:

Dr. Bath
2009-08-20, 02:33 PM
AABC and a c in AS. Not bad, not great. Personally I'm not really happy with the C in Further maths but I know that that is at least partially due to missing one exam entirely and flopping two other, so I'll probably retake a couple of modules in Jan. Manchester has apparently let me in anyway, despite missing my entrance grades by about 20 marks.

All in all it has worked out fairly alright for.

Congratulations and commiserations to any who need them.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-08-20, 03:30 PM

Ah, then you might be able to confirm something for me (potential Oxford applicant here). I just missed getting an A in German for AS (got 78%, needed 80%), but I've heard that on the UCAS form you don't need to list modules that haven't been cashed in for UCAS points. So if I work harder this year and get that A/A* in the final A-level, is that all fine and dandy? I got my As in the other 2 AS subjects I'm carrying on with at A2 btw.

Project_Mayhem
2009-08-20, 03:49 PM
Huzzahhedge! Got my results and I'll be off to Cambridge in October

Oh you massive git. I got through to interview stage, at which point my lazy and disheveled demeanor failed me.

This is a very useful link for anyone in the York area...

Thank you

Stadge
2009-08-20, 03:56 PM
Ah, then you might be able to confirm something for me (potential Oxford applicant here). I just missed getting an A in German for AS (got 78%, needed 80%), but I've heard that on the UCAS form you don't need to list modules that haven't been cashed in for UCAS points. So if I work harder this year and get that A/A* in the final A-level, is that all fine and dandy? I got my As in the other 2 AS subjects I'm carrying on with at A2 btw.

I think I get what you mean, and I'd say you should be ok, but I think you will need to list them on UCAS as they can then see how close you were from achieving the A. I sent off my application with 3 A's at AS (1 in an unrelated subject which I got a D in A-level :smalleek:) and 2 B's (1 which was unrelated and dropped after AS). I do think you need to put the module scores on UCAS though, unless somethings cahnged

At the very least I'd go for it, as it can't harm your chances elsewhere, you may get an offer, and the whole experience is really quite interesting.

Bryn
2009-08-20, 05:46 PM
AS level results: 5 As :smallbiggrin:.
{table=head]|%
Chemistry|99.3%
Maths|97%
Physics|96.3%
Further Maths|94.6%
Computing|94.5%[/table]
:biggrin:

Apparently, the UMS marks were adjusted significantly upwards in the (new) Edexcel Chemistry tests, since I think I missed a few bits in the most recent exam but I got full marks anyway :smallconfused:

I'm applying to Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. Anything I should look out for/make sure I do/avoid in the application process, Oxbridge experts? :smallsmile:

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-20, 05:51 PM
{table=head]|%
Chemistry|99.3%
Maths|97%
Physics|96.3%
Further Maths|94.6%
Computing|94.5%[/table]

Apparently, the UMS marks were adjusted significantly upwards in the (new) Edexcel Chemistry tests, since I think I missed a few bits in the most recent exam but I got full marks anyway :smallconfused:

I'm applying to Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. Anything I should look out for/make sure I do/avoid in the application process, Oxbridge experts? :smallsmile:

Based on my friend's experience, be very very rich. When she visited, breakfast on her first day and she was sitting between the sons of the people who own Gillette and Heinz. Of course later that night she got chatted up by a drunk Irishman who was convinced he invented the IRA, so who knows. [/unhelpful ramblings]

Also your marks scare the hell out of me. With people like you around, I feel rather small :smalltongue:

Dihan
2009-08-20, 06:27 PM
One of my friends got four As at A level - Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. He got accepted into Leicester.

However, he has an infection in his leg from ongoing chemotherapy and other such treatment. Next week he's having his leg amputated so he may not get to go to university for another year.

I still think it was a miracle for him to get straight As when he was pumped up on antibiotics and in and out of hospital for the past year or two. The exam boards refused to do assessments so he had to restart his AS' after getting straight Xs the first time. He definitely had the bone cancer before June 2007.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-08-21, 05:27 AM
AAAArgh. Four As - maths, history, RS, English. Plus 3 distinctions at AEA (RS, history, English), so that's pretty cool as well, if utterly useless. Off to Oxford for history and politics, then.

I just bought the reading list, though - £300 second (nearly half the money I've saved up over the Summer from work), 8,000 pages. All to be read by October 10th. Wow.

Exeson
2009-08-21, 06:55 AM
Four A's at As, maths, biology, chemistry and classical civilisation

CurlyKitGirl
2009-08-22, 06:38 PM

Congratulations on that!

AABC and a c in AS. Not bad, not great. Personally I'm not really happy with the C in Further maths but I know that that is at least partially due to missing one exam entirely and flopping two other, so I'll probably retake a couple of modules in Jan. Manchester has apparently let me in anyway, despite missing my entrance grades by about 20 marks.

All in all it has worked out fairly alright for.

Congratulations and commiserations to any who need them.

Not bad? What're you talking about? That's fantastic! ANd you got into Manchester as well!
*happy hugs*
I'm so happy for you. And it's only three hours away by train.

Right. This bit's complicated.
You ONLY have to put module results down if applying to Cambridge. Well you can for Oxford too, it's not necessary; I didn't. And that's whether or not you cashed in your AS or not.
If you have not cashed in your AS German result, you'll have to explain why; and frankly, they don't care if you resit exams, but still have your grade B at AS German on a shiny certificate.
It's the overall grades they care about. Frankly, I'd say cash in all your AS Levels (presumably four) and then just resit in January.

{table=head]|%
Chemistry|99.3%
Maths|97%
Physics|96.3%
Further Maths|94.6%
Computing|94.5%[/table]

o.O
Five As? Dude!
Application process protips:

Start writing your personal statement now
Check out which college you want to go to
When you go back to college/VIth form, make sure to tell your tutor and Oxbridge coordinator because the Oxbridge application deadline is October 15th
Then check out all the colleges again to see what kind of scholarships/accommodation they do
DO NOT listen to what anyone else tells you about how elitist Oxbridge are or silly requirements
Just because you have five As doesn't mean you'll get in. Everyting rests on your interview/s
Just because you didn't get invited to interview doesn't necessarily mean you're not going to be accepted
Just because you did get invited to interview/s doesn't mean you're automatically accepted
THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE SMARTER THAN YOU
Following on, when writing your personal statement or preparing for interview read a hell of a lot around your subject. Newspaper articles, text books, the lot
When you go up for interview, make sure you mingle. Hang out in the JCR (or Cambridge equivalent of the Junior COmmon ROom) with the rest of the applicants and have fun
Dont lock yourself away in your room freaking out.
Relax, have fun, read over your personal statement and any booksyou mentioned or quoted from in your personal statement as well as any work you submitted
If you have to sit an exam up there, don't freak out. Treat it as another AS exam
RELAX. DON'T PANIC. If you fail the interview, at least you had fun and made new friends while up there

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Out of curiosity, are you dropping a subject this year?

AAAArgh. Four As - maths, history, RS, English. Plus 3 distinctions at AEA (RS, history, English), so that's pretty cool as well, if utterly useless. Off to Oxford for history and politics, then.

I just bought the reading list, though - £300 second (nearly half the money I've saved up over the Summer from work), 8,000 pages. All to be read by October 10th. Wow.

Which college? And tell me about it. I've had a preliminary reading list and an actual reading list for my first term. All told: ten A4 pages. Don't have to buy everything though. However, I already have homework. Have to do my first tutorial essay before going.

That's right Playgrounders:

French - B
Classical Civilisations - A
Medieval History - A (straight As in all of this years modules!)
English Language - A (perfect As for two years!!)
English Literature - A (6 modular As!!!)

So Koorly is going to Oxford to read English at Merton!

GoC
2009-08-23, 11:11 AM
One of my sisters got hers (she moved to the UK last year to study). Four A's and a B.
I did the APs, SATs and ICFES instead. Did poorly on the SATs (2100) mostly due to the essay (I'm very very bad at essays, got a 4 out of 12:smallfrown:) and the vocab stuff but the APs were six 5's and I got in the top 0.02% (not a typo!) for the ICFES...:smallcool:

I'm convinced I could have gotten in to Cambridge if certain things hadn't gone wrong: Not being able to afford the plane ticket to get to the interview* and some &*%$#@! complications with UCAS that led to me filling in the entire application, having to rewrite my personal statement and retranslating my references (written in very formal prose that was very difficult to translate) mere hours before the deadline.

*Everyone told me that if I got an interview I was garunteed to impress and get a place. An uncle later told me that if I'd told him about the interview he would have paid my plane fare.:smallfurious:

Headless_Ninja
2009-08-24, 07:41 AM
B in chemistry, Cs in maths and biology. Got a clearing place at Aberdeen to do Biomedical Sciences (I'd been hoping to do the same course at Birmingham or Edinburgh). Not perfect, but I have a place on a course I'm interested in, so it's OK.