PDA

View Full Version : Well... I think I just found the most broken 3rd party item ever... 3.0

Kris Strife
2009-08-20, 05:33 AM
In the AEG 3.0 book Good, they have a specific magical sword in the magic items section called Shining Star. It functions as a +5 Holy Dragonsbane Greatsword of Speed, but thats not the broken part...

It gives a lawful good wielder the ability to cast as a Cleric of his level, though it doesn't give turning or domain abilities and spells as long as it is in their possession. :smalleek:

Eloel
2009-08-20, 05:41 AM
In my homemade book called The One Item, there's an item costing 100gp that lets you cast any epic spell 1/day. It has no item slots, so you can have more than 1 of it.

3rd party book is 3rd party.

Longcat
2009-08-20, 07:41 AM
On the Gleemax boards is a class called "Lightning Warrior". Just google it.

Well, I guess there's a reason why I rarely allow homebrew in my games.

Kris Strife
2009-08-20, 07:56 AM
On the Gleemax boards is a class called "Lightning Warrior". Just google it.

I've seen it... I thought it was a joke idea. :p

Innis Cabal
2009-08-20, 07:58 AM
Item costing 100gp that lets you cast any epic spell 1/day. It has no item slots, so you can have more than 1 of it.

And this here isn't?

kamikasei
2009-08-20, 08:01 AM
The Lighting Warrior was, indeed, blatantly a joke. I think there may have been some issue where some of the responses, and the OP's responses to them in turn, were deleted by moderators thus making it less visible in the thread that he was taking the mick - but it's clear enough from the class itself, unless you want to propose some game-balance equivalent of Poe's Law.

Here's the thing: there are broken and stupid items, feats etc. to be found in homebrew, in third party, and official WotC sources alike. The ratio of bad to good may differ depending on the source, but if you don't give any consideration to the balance of the material itself rather than where it comes from then you're going to encounter problems just as surely if you limit yourself to official supplements as if you allow anything the player can provide a link to.

Longcat
2009-08-20, 08:15 AM
Here's the thing: there are broken and stupid items, feats etc. to be found in homebrew, in third party, and official WotC sources alike. The ratio of bad to good may differ depending on the source, but if you don't give any consideration to the balance of the material itself rather than where it comes from then you're going to encounter problems just as surely if you limit yourself to official supplements as if you allow anything the player can provide a link to.

Fair enough, you've got a point. I tend to allow most things I'm familiar with, which includes almost all official 3.5 material, because after spending a certain amount of time on various CO Boards, you tend to get a hang for what's balanced and what isn't. Homebrew/3rd party material takes some time to evaluate, and even then, with it rarely mentioned in the context of CO, some things might still slip past you. Granted, with reasonable players, that's rarely an issue, but not every DM is gifted with those (I am, fortunately :smallwink:).

On a side note, I'd rather let my players use Hyperconscious than the horribly written Complete Psionics, and the Tome series from Frank&K contain some of the best balanced material I've laid my eyes on.

Haven
2009-08-20, 08:24 AM
I've seen it... I thought it was a joke idea. :p

No, see, they don't get a familiar, so it's balanced.

mikej
2009-08-20, 08:26 AM
Wait, what? The Lightning Warrior was perfectly balanced. You didn't have a Familiar and you couldn't specialize. /sarsasm

the item the OP mentioned is pretty overpowering.

edit: even my sarcastic joke was ninja'd

Mr. Pin
2009-08-20, 08:42 AM
well, that item wouldn't be broken if they made it cost enough... say, as a +200 artifact. I mean, the sword of Kas is overpowered, but it's so expensive/valuable that no one who gets it is going to be overpowered by getting it. then again, your item would be overpowered no matter the cost, because the more money-the higher your level- the more cleric levels you get. Maybe it should only be wieldable by clerics :smalltongue:

elliott20
2009-08-20, 08:53 AM
dude, you like, totally don't get domain spells/abilities or turn undead! that's like totally balanced!

Doc Roc
2009-08-20, 08:57 AM
It's not broken because you're probably already playing a cleric. :smallwink:

Random832
2009-08-20, 09:05 AM
You know what would make it more broken? If it stacked (or even had separate spells-per-day) with your cleric levels.

T.G. Oskar
2009-08-20, 10:24 AM
So...9th level Cleric spellcasting, but absolutely no Divine Metamagic/Persist/Nightsticks?

Yeah, pretty balanced. I mean, the Shield of the Sun gives you Paladin spellcasting as if 20th level with Wisdom 20, spell resistance 15, AND resist all 10. Clearly it's less balanced than a simple +5 Holy Dragonbane Greatsword of Speed, which only works well against evil opponents (like you'll find them in spades), dragons (HA!), and allows one extra attack a few times (you can do better than that!)

So yeah, pretty balanced. I mean, it's just as balanced as Incantatrix.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-20, 10:28 AM
You know what would make it more broken? If it stacked (or even had separate spells-per-day) with your cleric levels.

Yeah...the only thing worse than CoDzilla is CoDzilla//CoDzilla.

Kris Strife
2009-08-20, 11:31 AM
Yeah...the only thing worse than CoDzilla is CoDzilla//CoDzilla.

Or Batman//Druidzilla gestalt with Cleric casting.

Hijax
2009-08-20, 11:37 AM
Or Godzilla (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4905.100), the ultimate magus. with cleric casting.

Keld Denar
2009-08-20, 01:44 PM
Yo dawg, I heard you liked divine spells so I put some cleric in your cleric so you can 'zilla while you 'zilla

I dun good?

Myou
2009-08-20, 02:13 PM
Yo dawg, I heard you liked divine spells so I put some cleric in your cleric so you can 'zilla while you 'zilla

I dun good?

You have done very badly, hand your head in shame.

Bad Icecream Ithillid Guy.

AstralFire
2009-08-20, 02:15 PM
Yes, we demand your head in resignation.

Keld Denar
2009-08-20, 02:19 PM
But...I'm rather attached to my head!!!

AstralFire
2009-08-20, 02:21 PM
But...I'm rather attached to my head!!!

Attachment is not the way to enlightenment.

Dust
2009-08-20, 02:25 PM
In my homemade book called The One Item, there's an item costing 100gp that lets you cast any epic spell 1/day. It has no item slots, so you can have more than 1 of it.

3rd party book is 3rd party.

The thread should have basically been over right here.

Myou
2009-08-20, 02:28 PM
Attachment is not the way to enlightenment.

Yes, humourous typos are the path the enlightenment.

Mind flayer ice cream helps too.

Keld Denar
2009-08-20, 03:07 PM
Cthulu isn't a Mind Flayer...he's kinda the elder evil god of things so unimaginably warped and twisted that if you even thing about thinking about them, your puny consiousness will be stripped from your being and repeatedly violated by the denizens of the Far Realm.

Myou
2009-08-20, 03:12 PM
Cthulu isn't a Mind Flayer...he's kinda the elder evil god of things so unimaginably warped and twisted that if you even thing about thinking about them, your puny consiousness will be stripped from your being and repeatedly violated by the denizens of the Far Realm.

But he tastes great with raspberry ripple. :3

Xallace
2009-08-20, 04:39 PM
well, that item wouldn't be broken if they made it cost enough... say, as a +200 artifact. I mean, the sword of Kas is overpowered, but it's so expensive/valuable that no one who gets it is going to be overpowered by getting it.

I found an item in a 3rd-Party book for around 22 Thou. Gives a permanent +5 untyped bonus to Charisma if you're good aligned (you take something like 10d6 damage if evil).

Same book had a minor artifact that created a mountain "so large that it cannot be passed around or over." Good job totally reshaping the material plane into an infinitely-growing mountain, guys.