PDA

View Full Version : Permancy and Dispelling

Longcat
2009-08-20, 06:53 AM
Hello all,
I have a question regarding permanencied spells and dispelling. E.g., if I have a permanencied Darkvision on me, and I am hit with a successful Dispel Magic, does it:
a) suppress the permanencied spell like it suppresses Magic items or
b) destroy the permancied spell?

peacenlove
2009-08-20, 06:57 AM
B) the spell is dispelled normally

Douglas
2009-08-20, 07:01 AM
Note, however, that in this particular case it is not possible for the Dispel Magic to be successful unless its caster level is higher than the Permanency's caster level.

peacenlove
2009-08-20, 07:04 AM
Note, however, that in this particular case it is not possible for the Dispel Magic to be successful unless its caster level is higher than the Permanency's caster level At the time the Permanency spell was cast.

Correct answer :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2009-08-20, 07:18 AM
You should also note that there are two ways to dispel a permanent spell: Dispel the Permanency
Dispel the original spell
If either dispel is successful, the original spell (past its expiration date) is no more.

Longcat
2009-08-20, 07:24 AM
Ok,thanks! Seems like Permanency isn't worth the XP investment, then. What a shame, though...

Farlion
2009-08-20, 07:27 AM
Permanent: detect magic + Artificiers Monocle = totally worth the XP!

Cheers
Farlion
Bearer of an artificiers monocle

Longcat
2009-08-20, 07:38 AM
What does an "Artificer's Monocle" do and where can I find it?

Cyclocone
2009-08-20, 07:56 AM
What does an "Artificer's Monocle" do and where can I find it?

It's from MIC. It turns Detect Magic into Identify, thus saving you money.

Glimbur
2009-08-20, 09:41 AM
Permanent: detect magic + Artificiers Monocle = totally worth the XP!

Or you could save the XP and just cast Detect Magic when you want to identify things.

Lysander
2009-08-20, 10:01 AM
Permanent abilities aren't worth it if you're an adventurer and constantly have powerful enemy magicians dispelling your buffs. I could definitely see a wise old recluse NPC wizard having constant read magic though.

Here's an idea: Giving out permanent spells as a quest reward. For example, a wizard's daughter is kidnapped. The party saves her, and they all get a reward: the thief treasure, the wizard PC can copy his low level spells, and the fighter gets permanent Resistance. It'd only last until they fight a more powerful enemy magician, but it could be a sweet reward to have for periods of time.