PDA

View Full Version : Poisons without saving throws

Eloel
2009-08-20, 08:46 AM
Why doesn't D&D have poisons without saving throws, when life does?

I've just lost my best friend, my dog, to poisoning. Despite the vet's best attempts, he couldn't be saved. And this is not the first animal lost to poisoning in the area we live. There's someone running rampage poisoning animals around.:smallfrown:

I have no idea why I'm posting this here myself, I think I need someone comforting me...:smallfrown:

Cyrion
2009-08-20, 08:51 AM
Who says we don't get saving throws against poisons? Maybe we're just commoners with bad Fort saves. Ever survived food poisoning?

As far as someone poisoning animals in your area, that's just bad juju. I can't imagine how people can do that kind of thing. I get all guilted up when my pets die of natural causes because I think I should have been able to do more for the ones who depend on me. People who go out of their way to hurt things really bother me!

Eloel
2009-08-20, 08:58 AM
According to the vet, the poison kills in 2-3 minutes, blocking breathing and ripping through pretty much everything inside. All seeable from outside was a bit blood from his mouth, but now I feel like crying - his dead figure is still in my mind.

Also, between the +4 save & the heal check(s) from the vet, he should've survived....

Mauve Shirt
2009-08-20, 09:12 AM
:smallfrown: That's pretty awful. My sincerest condolences. *tight hug*

Jack Squat
2009-08-20, 12:28 PM
I'm sorry about your loss of you pet, but what was the poison?

I bring this up because you mention "someone running rampage poisoning animals around."

Without knowing what caused it, it could just be that there's a growth of onions in the area, or someone tossed coffee grounds on the ground somewhere or a garbage can overturned. A lot of things are deadly to dogs that we don't think about - heck, there's flowers that will kill dogs. It may not be because someone's intentionally doing; someone may not be doing it at all.

Erloas
2009-08-20, 12:40 PM
There is also cases of secondary poisoning. A lot of times people will put out poisons for things like rats, the rat will eat it and end up out in the open while it dies and then a cat or dog comes by and eats the rat and gets the poison from it. A lot of the time it is a lot weaker and may not kill the pet or may take a lot longer to kill them.

There are also other cases such as unintended poisonings, such as someone putting down poison to kill weeds or ants and the pet gets into the area and gets poisoned from it. They make it very clear on all the packaging for those things to keep pets away, but if the person doesn't have a pet and/or any way to secure the area your pet could end up there.

The other question would be, where was the dog when it got poisoned? Most places don't let owners let their dogs run around unattended, so if your dog was in your back yard or with you on a walk it should be fairly clear what happened to it. Although I realize this part may come across as sounding a bit heartless, which isn't my intent. I am sorry to hear that your dog died.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-08-20, 12:47 PM

I've just lost my best friend, my dog, to poisoning. Despite the vet's best attempts, he couldn't be saved. And this is not the first animal lost to poisoning in the area we live. There's someone running rampage poisoning animals around.:smallfrown:

I have no idea why I'm posting this here myself, I think I need someone comforting me...:smallfrown:
Sorry to hear it. After seeing my sister's dog crush my new kitten's neck as a kid, I kinda gave up on pets. Now I just visit friends or family if I need a dog or cat to pet.

PS: All poisons allow saves, but sometimes the DC is too high to make. (Nat 20s don't auto succeed in real life.)

Feliks878
2009-08-21, 02:18 PM

Gah. If it's actually a serial animal poisoner, that's just terrible. I just lost my own dog (not to poison, but cancer), and I join you in your misery. The idea of someone killing pets is just a depressing reflection of humanity.

Condolences.

BisectedBrioche
2009-08-21, 05:23 PM
You make saves on poisons all the time, the DCs are just low. As a learned man once said "The dose makes the poison".

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-21, 05:41 PM
Some DCs are just ridiculously high.
My condolences about your dog, and I'm sorry. I wouldn't immediatly jump to serial animal poisoner theory, and look for something more mundane, instead.

But, yeah, my condolences for your loss.