PDA

View Full Version : I need a new game system

nysisobli
2009-08-20, 09:59 AM
I have been playing 3rd edition, for going on 6 years. I am starting to get a little bored with it, as it just ends up being the same thing, no matter what character i play, or group i play with. Any suggestions on a game i might like?

kamikasei
2009-08-20, 10:01 AM
What do or don't you like?

Mutants and Masterminds is a good system.

You might also consider 4e, AD&D, OD&D, Exalted, nWoD, oWoD, FUDGE, FATE, SotC, GURPS, RIFTS, World of Synnibar, FATAL...

We kind of need more information to go on here.

AstralFire
2009-08-20, 10:03 AM
Going out of d20 bounds:
Exalted
Savage Worlds
GURPS
Spirit of the Century
Burning Wheel
Anima
Old and New World of Darkness

are all games I've heard often praised

Staying within d20:
Mutants and Masterminds
Star Wars Saga

have some familiar rules to D&D 3 players while still providing a bit of a change in tone and balance.

And there's of course the option of older/newer editions of D&D.

Lysander
2009-08-20, 10:09 AM
Try Risus. Very fun game with light rules. Almost a "making the rules up as you go along" sort of experience that lets you play any class or person you could conceivably imagine.

Plus, it's FREE! http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm

Kylarra
2009-08-20, 10:15 AM

You might also consider 4e, AD&D, OD&D, Exalted, nWoD, oWoD, FUDGE, FATE, SotC, GURPS, RIFTS, World of Synnibar, FATAL...

Hah.:smalleek:

I'd suggest Paranoia for good fun times.

Krrth
2009-08-20, 10:18 AM
There's also the HERO system, Dark Heresy, and any number of others. It really depends on what you are looking for.

The Demented One
2009-08-20, 10:22 AM
I'm going to throw in Exalted, which is what I switched over to when I hit a 3.5 rut. There's also Weapons of the Gods, an awesomely over-the-top kung fu game set in a mythic version of Ancient China, Unknown Armies, a modern occult game that beats out all competition, and REIGN, which follows the same set of essential fantasy tropes as D&D but with a fresh setting and an elegant core mechanic. Then there's Sea Dracula, where the players are talking animal lawyers who resolve cases via dancing. Real life dancing.

Kurald Galain
2009-08-20, 10:30 AM
I'd suggest Paranoia for good fun times.

Absolutely!

Also, Werewolf, Exalted, and Call of Ctulhu.

NPCMook
2009-08-20, 10:46 AM

-THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU SUGGESTING FATAL!?:smallfurious:

Everything else though is okay... I'll add in Shadowrun, SWSE, Traveller, CthulhuTech...

Seriously... I'm disappointed in you suggesting that... you need to make amends.

Edit: I'll just leave this little gem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_(role-playing_game)) here

technophile
2009-08-20, 10:49 AM
Deadlands (classic or d20) is a great time, loads of atmosphere. Hard to find anyone else to play with, although if you already have a local group you could try it with them.

AstralFire
2009-08-20, 10:49 AM
He suggested RIFTS and Synnibar. Pretty sure he was joking by the end of that.

Whereas you suggested a system where you can die in character creation and I'm not sure if you were joking.

NPCMook
2009-08-20, 10:52 AM
I meant Mongoose Publishings recent edition, no longer can characters die at creation... However they can be horribly mamed... :smallbiggrin:

To be honest I like Traveller soley for the character creation aspect its so interesting and random

kamikasei
2009-08-20, 10:58 AM
-THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU SUGGESTING FATAL!?:smallfurious:

*shrug*

It's conceivable the OP would find it to his liking. That's how little information about his tastes we have to work with.

Swok
2009-08-20, 11:30 AM
Since we have little to go on, I'm going to second Mutants and Masterminds. It's deceptively flexible, and I personally vastly prefer it to GURPS.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-20, 11:32 AM
Everway. <_<

lesser_minion
2009-08-20, 11:46 AM
Well, you could look into True20, Exalted and Ars Magica - they all do something at least somewhat different to 3rd edition. Oh, and WitchCraft.

Jack_Banzai
2009-08-20, 11:47 AM
Everway. <_<

There's a blast from the past!

Ummm, my group flits between 4e, SW Saga, and Dark Heresy, and we really couldn't be happier. We'll also be playing the new Shadowrun 20th Anniversary edition. They really cleaned up the book, reorganized and much less annoying than the 4th edition core book.

kc0bbq
2009-08-20, 11:49 AM
Og: The Roleplaying Game.

The only problem is you pretty much have to be a Thinking Caveman if you're playing solo.

Doc Roc
2009-08-20, 11:52 AM
How about the ever excellent Savage Worlds? Core book is cheap, game is elegant, your local hobby shop can order it.

Tyrrell
2009-08-20, 12:06 PM
If you just ask for a suggestion of a game you might like, then everyone is only going to shill their favorite game. Give us a little more to work with. What do you want to see your characters do? What don't you like about D&D?

But as far as shilling my favorite game: Ars Magica is by far the greatest game ever conceived by humankind. You owe it to yourself to pick up a half dozen copies.

Renegade Paladin
2009-08-20, 12:15 PM
I like the Epic RPG (http://epicrpg.com/) system, myself. It's not very widespread, but it's very well put together.

Gourtox
2009-08-20, 12:16 PM
Sta Wars Saga Edition. That's the only one I play so Ii can't say anything else, but SAGA is very fun.

Artanis
2009-08-20, 12:20 PM
I'm going to suggest BESM, simply because it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Zuki
2009-08-20, 12:35 PM
Whereas you suggested a system where you can die in character creation and I'm not sure if you were joking.

While that may be the thing Traveller is most known for, it's not actually all that likely. As I understand it, you create a Traveller character by going through a sort of lifepath sytem where they enter the empire's mandatory military service in some form or another, you gain a couple perks from it (a promotion, some new skills, wealth, social contacts, etc.) You have the option to retire more-or-less whenever you want and stop playing the chargen 'game,' or you can keep going until you've got a really badass 60-something year old retired Admiral as your PC.

I suspect death in PC creation is partially an artifact of keeping things from getting too silly, as the longer you keep rolling for toys, the more likely you are to 'die'.

Will update this post as soon as I can think of some cool RPGs that haven't alraedy been mentioned. Will second Burning Wheel, a lot of people that get burned out on DnD really like it. Will second Spirit of the Century, becuase I love it. Will mention Starblazer Adventures, because it's basically Spirit of the Century, but with IN SPAAAAAAAACE. Anima is cool if you've got the right kind of group or players. It's a bit hard to learn 'cause the book isn't well organized, but if you just want to be silly and pretend you're in a J-RPG video game, it's fun.

Mouse Guard is cool. Inspectres is like playing Ghost Busters as a franchise. All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Witchcraft, and the Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG all use Unisystem as their base, which seems pretty flexible and cool. Dread is a horror RPG system that uses Jenga blocks to create tension at the table. Dogs In the Vineyard is a slick little indie RPG where you get to play travelling gunslingers in the West, travelling from town to down and meting out justice and law as you see fit.

I don't think I've seen anybody suggest Shadowrun yet. Or Earthdawn! Earthdawn's neat. It's a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting (with a fantasy-style apocalypse), that takes a lot of the classic Dungeons and Dragons tropes and turns them on their head or gives them really interesting reasons to exist. It also has Sky Pirate as a playable class. And swashbuckling dinosaurs, tiny flying pixes, honor-bound noble trolls, and giant rock men with communal memory as playable races along with humans, orks, dwarves, and elves. There's also a new game line coming out by the same people that's like Earthdawn, but with the setting tweaked and the mechanics presented in a 4th edition dungeons and dragons style. It's called...Age of Legends, I think?

Dust
2009-08-20, 12:43 PM
If you like the d20 system, then I add my vote to look into Mutants and Masterminds. Strongly. d20 Call of Cthulhu is excellent as well, if you like the mechanics but just want a completely new change of pace.

And to stay the hell away from FATAL.

Artanis
2009-08-20, 01:01 PM
Oh! I forgot Heavy Gear. Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles are great if you want vehicles of any sort, especially mecha.

Doc Roc
2009-08-20, 01:03 PM
I don't think I've seen anybody suggest Shadowrun yet. Or Earthdawn! Earthdawn's neat. It's a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting (with a fantasy-style apocalypse), that takes a lot of the classic Dungeons and Dragons tropes and turns them on their head or gives them really interesting reasons to exist. It also has Sky Pirate as a playable class. And swashbuckling dinosaurs, tiny flying pixes, honor-bound noble trolls, and giant rock men with communal memory as playable races along with humans, orks, dwarves, and elves. There's also a new game line coming out by the same people that's like Earthdawn, but with the setting tweaked and the mechanics presented in a 4th edition dungeons and dragons style. It's called...Age of Legends, I think?

I... I thought only I remembered Earthdawn.
You know that Shadowrun and Earthdawn are in the same world, neh?

Krrth
2009-08-20, 01:29 PM
I... I thought only I remembered Earthdawn.
You know that Shadowrun and Earthdawn are in the same world, neh?

Technically,

So is Battletech (http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2259).

Yes, I know it's an April Fool's joke. Still....

erikun
2009-08-20, 01:33 PM
X-Crawl (http://www.goodman-games.com/xcrawl.html) is an amusing diversion if you want to stick with the 3.5e rules but want to play something different. d20 Modern (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20modern) is a slightly cleaner (in my opinion) version of the same rules for 3.5e, and comes with its own free SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd) online. Muntants and Masterminds (http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/) is an excellent variation on the d20 system - players will be familiar with the stats and rules, but the system itself has been overhauled enough to give a LOT of different options.

World of Darkness (http://www.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/) is a decent core setting, and can be easily expanded upon with either the WoD additional books or books like Vampire and Werewolf. The "old" World of Darkness books didn't have one core rulebook; the books like Vampire: The Masquerade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade) and Mage: The Ascension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mage:_The_Ascension) were designed to be played seperately. Most WoD tend to be grim horror, though, which may not be what you're looking for. For a similar system without the grimness, take a look at the Epic Wuxia Exalted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exalted) or the Epic Modern Heric Fantasy Scion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scion_(role-playing_game)).

....I think that's a good start, at least until we hear back from the OP on his game preferences.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-08-20, 02:23 PM
You could try Minimus for ultra rules-light or Riddle of Steel for a bit more heft. Or Mouse Guard...I heard it won a bunch of awards.

Kaiser Omnik
2009-08-22, 06:16 PM
I like both Savage Worlds and Shadowrun.

Premier
2009-08-22, 06:21 PM
It would be useful if the OP could tell us more specifically what he dislikes about 3E. I mean, if all he says is "recommend me something other than that", then all we can really reply is "well, then try something other than that".

Help us help you, as they say.

PLUN
2009-08-22, 06:46 PM
Dark Heresy is a great opposite number to 3rd Ed.

Generate a character with a generally low chance of success! Make every combat, skill check and investigation stacked in your favour by manipulating circumstances and generally fighting like the most ruthless barsteward this side of Holy Terra! Like point buy? Get fragged! Real men roll and let the arbitrary machinations of a cold uncaring universe decide their statistical buildup. Plus you get a reroll. The appropriate opposite gender LOVE a person with their own reroll. Play from an exciting variety of classes such as Tech-Priest! Arbitrator! Nerd! No dicebag? No problem! you can pretty much play the whole game with a single D10, or push out the boat and have two different coloured dice, senor fancypants!

Shoot things with guns! Alternatively mix things up a bit by getting shot with guns! Use chainsaw swords! Abuse an inteplanetary moderational remit for your own personal agendas! Die bleeding, cold and alone in a flaming mass of dead spacecraft as all evidence of your glorious deeds is solemnly erased!

This sounds too much like VIRAL ADVERTISING, so other great games to try when burned out on D&D:

Star Wars: Saga Edition
World of Darkness (esp. Hunter - The Vigil)
D&D 4th Edition (hey, it's a bold step to make a game that's not 3rd ed repackaged, and a shave is as good as a change)
Call of Cthulu

Tyndmyr
2009-08-22, 07:03 PM
Seventh Sea. Not the D20 version, the older D10 roll and keep version.

It's a refreshing change after 3rd ed DnD.

Knaight
2009-08-22, 07:21 PM
Having seen a lot of similar requests, I'm thinking of hijacking this thread for a side project that helps. Anyone up for a 2 axis ranking system (Rules Weight, Cinematic vs. Realistic), maybe with a big table of games?
Top is light weight, bottom heavy. Left is cinematic, right realistic.
{table]Risus, Toon, Wushu, Fudge(Top Left)|(2,1)|Fudge(Top Right)|(4,1)|(5,1)|(6,1)
(1,2)|(2,2)|(3,2)|(4,2)|(5,2)|(6,2)
(1,3)|Spirit of the Century, D&D 4e|(3,3)|(4,3)|(5,3)|(6,3)
Munchkin, Fudge(Bottom Left)|D&D 3e|Fudge(Bottom Right)|(4,4)|(5,4)|(6,4)
(1,5)|(2,5)|(3,5)|(4,5)|(5,5)|(6,5)
The Riddle of Steel|Hero(Left)|(3,6)|(4,6)|(5,6)|Hero(Right)[/table]
Obviously some games are a range of values, particularly generic games. So I'm noting corners in reference to the table, or just left/right and top/bottom. Feel free to add to this. And all of the games can be pushed around by the users, this is more of where they are built at.

erikun
2009-08-22, 08:43 PM
I find it odd to see D&D 4th edition to be considered far more realistic than D&D 3rd edition, especially considered the complains generally flung at the former. :smalltongue: I'm not familiar with any other the other systems, though, so would have trouble placing other systems I am familiar with on the chart.

Moose Fisher
2009-08-22, 09:33 PM
d20 Call of Cthulhu is excellent as well, if you like the mechanics but just want a completely new change of pace.

I'm not sure if the d20 system can represent the themes of Cthulhu. Do you have to make will saves to avoid losing large amounts of sanity?

I can't really think of anything else to add that hasn't been mentioned. Wushu's core rules are free and simple for a laid-back game.

Oh, and Dark Heresy has awesome critical hit tables. Look them up. If you've wanted a dismembered arm to whack someone else in the face, it's possible, there's also exploding eyeballs and heads!

(I'm suspecting OP made this topic so we can talk about other RPGs:smalltongue:)

Kizara
2009-08-22, 10:03 PM
I highly reccomend GURPS!

From someone that started with, played and still is generally rather fond of 3.x DnD, I can attest that GURPS is awesome in the following ways:

1) Less balance headaches! Sure, its not completely gone, but its an easier foundation to start with to houserule problems away.

2) More versitile! If you like homebrewing even a little bit, you'll love GURPS because you almost homebrew each character in that you can customize each trait, advantage (kinda like Feats) and so forth to a very large degree.

Which leads us too...

3) More character customization! Between making interesting personality elements with disadvantages (like Klepomania and Klutz, or Bloodlust and Callous, just to name 4 of like 100 options), choosing EXACTLY the skills you want (no more class skills, or classes at all for that matter), make EXACTLY the character you want to play!.

4) More tactical, interesting and diverse combat! Like combat in 3.5? Ever use anything from Unearthed Arcana? Well this is going to be like crack for you! Combat involves active defenses (shield blocks, dodges and parries) and an actual hit is huge! With comprensive rules for damage types, injuries, disabling a limb, hit locations, per-second rounds that allow for maximum simultaniety and more, its the deepest, best combat simulation that isn't a pain in the arse to run!

5) Its not 4ed! AT ALL! If you dislike 4E for ANY reason beyond "they stopped making 3.x stuff", you'll like GURPS, as its literally the exact opposite design direction.

Which leads to...

6) Its realistic! Most of the game is designed to be realistic and simulationist-oriented. There are rules (and comprehensive and good ones) for more cinematic, and/or silly games, the default assumption is a more gritty and realistic RPG. I can't even begin to list how many rules it has that are more realistic then 3ed.

7) Its easier to run! While its not easier to LEARN, its actually far easier to run as you don't have to keep track of dozens of bonuses, skills don't become totally broken after 6th level (there is no 6th level, and the skill system in general is way better, if a bit finely cut for my taste). Also, it uses 3d6 instead of d20, so its less luck-oriented and crits are less common-place. However, when they do come up (especially in combat), its a BIG deal, as you can't defend against a crit and it can easily do more or more lethal damage.

8) Its more adaptable! Want to run a sci-fi game with fantasy magic, lightsaber swords, phasors and Firefly-class transports? Its never been easier.

9) As much simluation as you want! The rules are set up that they go very deep, but you can use as many as you want. You don't have to use the hit locations, bleeding, and tactical movement rules (for instance). The game works perfectly fine (if shallow, it feels like DnD) this way, but it works that much better with all the 'optional' rules in play. These rules aren't like the lame Death From Massive Damage 3ed rule, they are progressive levels of simulation.

To reiterate: no or little gamism, no MMORPG conventions, no "rule of cool" bullcrap (except for some things that make a point of saying "this is cinematic, not for use in realistic games"), less caster imbalance (and its far, far easier to fix and control), a much better, more tactical and more immersive combat system, better and more customizable character options, etc etc... awesome!!! :smallbiggrin:

Now, there ARE some downsides:

1) Its not as plug-and-play. If you want to say, play a Druid, the game supports this, but you have to do some homework and effort in putting it together. The more unique or specialized the concept the more this comes up. Its rather rewarding when you do tho. Take a look at my thread (on this page) about the paladin I made up.

2) The fineness of how the skills are cut can be annoying. Is it really neccessary to have pickpocketing, filth and sleight-of-hand to all be seperate skills? You gain a whole lot more then you lose here. And while playing skill monkeys can be expensive, its also more valuable to your group because you really contribute in ways that others need and can't be easily replaced by magic.

3) Its a lot to take in. The amount of options and the complexity of the rules (compared to the basic concepts of 3ed) are a bit more of a learning curve and is a bit more intimidating then 3ed. However, there's quite a bit less rules-lawyering needed in general, as the rules are almost to a whole very natural and intuitive. More then once I have thought "I don't know how they do X, but I would do it like 'such and such'." and then found the actual rule for it and been impressed that it was almost exactly what I already had in mind.

Skorj
2009-08-22, 10:21 PM
Based on this thread I'm feeling an overwhelming compulsion to run a FATAL campaign. That's the rules set that's been accused of being a "rape simulator", right? Surely it must be equally bad in several other ways?

I found Traveller to be everything that's wrong with die-based instead of point-buy character creation. Even post "die during character creation", I rolled up a character who retired to a life of luxury during character creation. Yay?

Kizara
2009-08-22, 10:25 PM
Based on this thread I'm feeling an overwhelming compulsion to run a FATAL campaign. That's the rules set that's been accused of being a "rape simulator", right? Surely it must be equally bad in several other ways?

I found Traveller to be everything that's wrong with die-based instead of point-buy character creation. Even post "die during character creation", I rolled up a character who retired to a life of luxury during character creation. Yay?

That's pretty bloody funny, I gotta say. :smallbiggrin::smallsmile:

The Endbringer Xaraphim
2009-08-23, 12:01 AM
I'll tip my hat for the Riddle of Steel as well. That ****'s hardcore. If some guy comes at me with a knife (in the game, as in real life) I don't just fold my arms and laugh at him and his puny d4 damage. Knives can kill with one good jab.

Though in reality (in RoS, at least) if some shmoe comes at me with a knife then I'll just use my falcata's reach advantage to hopefully gash his innards open real good before he can close.

Mmmm...

Amiel
2009-08-23, 05:02 AM
Pathfinder

:smallbiggrin:.

oxinabox
2009-08-23, 05:15 AM
Having seen a lot of similar requests, I'm thinking of hijacking this thread for a side project that helps. Anyone up for a 2 axis ranking system (Rules Weight, Cinematic vs. Realistic), maybe with a big table of games?
Top is light weight, bottom heavy. Left is cinematic, right realistic.
{table]Risus, Toon, Fudge(Top Left)|(2,1)|Fudge(Top Right)|(4,1)|(5,1)|(6,1)
(1,2)|(2,2)|(3,2)|(4,2)|(5,2)|(6,2)
(1,3)|Spirit of the Century|(3,3)|D&D 4e|(5,3)|(6,3)
Munchkin, Fudge(Bottom Left)|D&D 3e|Fudge(Bottom Right)|(4,4)|(5,4)|(6,4)
(1,5)|(2,5)|(3,5)|(4,5)|(5,5)|(6,5)
(1,6)|Hero(Left)|(3,6)|(4,6)|(5,6)|Hero(Right)[/table]
Obviously some games are a range of values, particularly generic games. So I'm noting corners in reference to the table, or just left/right and top/bottom. Feel free to add to this. And all of the games can be pushed around by the users, this is more of where they are built at.

Freeform: anywhere along the zero rules line, normally towards realistic.
Wushu: very very cinimatic, one step below free form as far as number of rules

Knaight
2009-08-23, 08:30 AM
I find it odd to see D&D 4th edition to be considered far more realistic than D&D 3rd edition, especially considered the complains generally flung at the former. :smalltongue: I'm not familiar with any other the other systems, though, so would have trouble placing other systems I am familiar with on the chart.

This is why I label my axes, otherwise I forget which is which and what goes where. I need a control variable. It makes everything so easy to remember.