PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Mystic Ranger questions

Coidzor
2009-08-20, 04:16 PM
Are Sword of the Arcane Order (feat; ability to prepare wizard spells in ranger spell slots, ranger level to wizard caster level) and Arcane Hunter (ACF; trade first regular favored enemy for favored enemy: arcanists+warlocks) mutually exclusive (without being evil) due to the whole possibly also being an arcanist?

Mystic Ranger (alternate base class; gives earlier spell progression and increase spell levels by delaying other features and getting rid of the animal companion)

Would I be dependent on a party wizard or multiclassing to wizard for a spellbook for wizard spells known?

Salt_Crow
2009-08-20, 04:35 PM
I'm not aware of any specific rules barring a ranger from choosing her own race/type/thingy as her favoured enemy. For example a human ranger could always choose humans as his FE even though it would target himself as well.

quick_comment
2009-08-20, 04:44 PM
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that only evil rangers can have their own type as favored enemy.

Coidzor
2009-08-20, 04:52 PM
yeah, I just checked the SRD and didn't see any mention of that, maybe that was changed between 3.0 and 3.5 then...

FMArthur
2009-08-20, 04:59 PM
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that only evil rangers can have their own type as favored enemy.

What if you're a good member of an evil race?

Kylarra
2009-08-20, 05:04 PM
What if you're a good member of an evil race?You mean like some sort of CG Drow who dual wields scimitar? Who would play something like that? :smallconfused:

erikun
2009-08-20, 05:12 PM
This was a problem with 3.0e, but apparently has disappeared in 3.5e. Probably for the reasons FMArthur mentioned.

Even if it wasn't, I wouldn't have a problem with an Arcane Hunter/Wizard. The reason the 3.0e Ranger needed to be evil was because they were hunting down and killing off others of your own race. (Although why a human killing an elf isn't evil wasn't really explained.) Killing off other spellcasters isn't quite the same thing.

So... no conflict. A mage-slaying mage makes a lot of sense, as you really need to know a lot about them to fight them properly. Heck, your Mystic Ranger/Wizard will probably be a better mage-slayer than most mage-slayer prestige classes out there.

Nero24200
2009-08-20, 05:37 PM
Theres nothing preventing a ranger from having a favoured enemy of their own type. Favoured enemy can measure hatred, but for the most part it can also measure training to fight specific foes.

A ranger with plenty of humaniod favoured enemies need not be an assassin, they could also be a bounty hunter, or a even just a solider who has little to no experience fighting other types of foes.

In fact, a mystic rangered with such a favoured enemy could make for quite an interesting conceapt. It could be a ranger who works for an arcane order beleiving other arcanists to be abusive of their magic. Alternativly, it could be just be a mage with a really strong knack for martail abilities, but with only other mages to practise martial skills with.

SurlySeraph
2009-08-20, 08:44 PM
A spellbook has a listed price, I think 200 gp. So you can just buy one. You'll also have to pay for spells, of course, but that won't be a huge problem.

Kylarra
2009-08-20, 08:52 PM
A spellbook has a listed price, I think 200 gp. So you can just buy one. You'll also have to pay for spells, of course, but that won't be a huge problem.

Spellbook, wizard’s (blank) 15 gp
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsandservices.htm