PDA

View Full Version : Risus?

Froogleyboy
2009-08-20, 04:22 PM
Has anyone played this game? What do you think about it? Is there anyway to optimise?

Zincorium
2009-08-20, 04:45 PM
I've played it (or a version of it, at least).

It's not the kind of RPG you'd use for long, plot-heavy games. There's no advantage. But it's awesome for a 'okay, we have beer, time, and gaming supplies but no gaming books' situation. And, those do come up occasionally.

Key to optimization: don't worry too much about things. Risus rewards silliness almost as much as hard-core optimization.

Lysander
2009-08-20, 04:58 PM
It's fun. You just need a very fair DM since there's no strict rules to restrain them. Fair also includes being tough enough on the players to make losing a possibility or winning's no fun.

Glimbur
2009-08-20, 04:59 PM
The way to optimize RISUS isn't found on your character sheet. It dwells within you.

No, seriously. One part of power is versatility, and the better you are at arguing that your Chef cliche applies to rock climbing or some other unrelated activity the more likely your character can succeed at a variety of problems.

The other part of power is power. You'll have to scrounge for advantages and special gear yourself, it's hard to optimize a general approach to life.

Froogleyboy
2009-08-20, 05:04 PM
I was only asking about optimization because one of my players always plays over-optimized tanks in every game, and if he can't be better then everyone else, he won't play

Stompy
2009-08-20, 05:35 PM
The only way I can think to "cheese" Risus is to pick cliches that are way too broad, so that a character can attempt everything. (i.e. taking the DnD 3.5 wizard cliche :smallbiggrin:)

Also, in the rules, you can also try put up defenses with inappropriate cliches. If that works (see hairdresser blocking a fighter by making a death-spike with their hair), and the inappropriate check person wins, the attacker loses 3 cliche dice.