PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (by RAW) X (All Systems)

Pages : [1] 2

Roland St. Jude
2009-08-20, 04:31 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions from all systems. Be sure to specify which system you're talking about.

If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1149238581 ;start=0#0).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1121064702 ;start=0#0).

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Note what game/edition you are asking about
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. D&D 3.5 Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. D&D 3.0As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. AD&D 2e What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4 D&D 3.5. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?
Q.5. GURPS What is the main source book for GURPS?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

Salt_Crow
2009-08-20, 04:37 PM
Q 1 D&D 3.5

On ECS pg 278, a daelkyr seems to gain iterative attacks with its slam natural attack. Does anyone know if it's a mistake or not?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-20, 04:42 PM
From last thread:

Q639

Is there some general rule for converting free actions from books before swift/immediate actions were adopted into swift actions (or leaving them as free)?
No, there is no official rule. However, if something says "a free action that you can only perform once per round," it basically a swift action. And if something says "a free action that you can take on someone else's turn", it's basically an immediate action.

quick_comment
2009-08-20, 04:43 PM
Repost from old thread
Q2

If a spellguard of silverymoon (in PGtF) casts a selective antimagic field on himself, are his spells and items supressed? He can definitely still cast spells, but would they be supressed as soon as he is done casting them?

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-08-20, 04:45 PM
((For clarity, please post the Game/System/Edition to which the question belongs))

PId6
2009-08-20, 04:48 PM
Q 3 (D&D 3.5)

Where does it list how size affects ability scores?

Curmudgeon
2009-08-20, 04:51 PM
A 3

You'll find the answer here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases).

RTGoodman
2009-08-20, 05:51 PM
A 1 Partial

The official ECS errata does not address the issue, even though it makes a change to the same monster. If the creature does not have the Rapid Strike feat, then this is most likely a misprint, as natural weapons do not gain iterative attacks.

Da Pwnzlord
2009-08-20, 06:18 PM
Q 4

In the 3rd edition Green Ronin book "Psycic's Handbook" it says Psycic skills are only avalible to characters who take levels in Psycic. I was wondering how this would work in conjunction with Factotum, who says all skills are class skills.

Kosjsjach
2009-08-20, 06:23 PM
Q 5 [3.5]

Do Goliaths have darkvision?

Their type is monstrous humanoid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typessubtypes.htm#monstrousHumanoidType), but there's nothing in their racial traits that explicitly mentions it.

<edit: ninja'd on the question number again>

Curmudgeon
2009-08-20, 06:24 PM
A 4

There isn't a RAW answer for this. Green Ronin and Wizards of the Coast are separate companies, and thus there's no guiding principal for which of a conflicting pair or rules should take precedence. It's up to the DM when 3rd-party works conflict with official game rules.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-20, 06:28 PM
A5 Technically, since their racial features don't specifically delineate that they don't receive all the abilities associated with their type, they do. It's not horribly gamebreaking (it's just Darkvision, after all), but it is an example of poor editing.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-20, 06:33 PM
A 5 Yes.
A monstrous humanoid possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry). Darkvision out to 60 feet. The goliath racial traits are described on page 56 of Races of Stone, and there's nothing to "note otherwise" there regarding darkvision.

Thurbane
2009-08-20, 06:37 PM
Q 006

What's the CR for a 1/2 Ogre (RoD)? Obviously, it's based on it's class levels, but does it have a base CR that the levels are added to? Would it be the same as Drow, being a +2 LA race with no racial HD?

ColdSepp
2009-08-20, 08:07 PM
A 5 Yes. The goliath racial traits are described on page 56 of Races of Stone, and there's nothing to "note otherwise" there regarding darkvision.

A5 Continued

It's even addressed in the FAQ.

erikun
2009-08-20, 10:27 PM
Q 006

What's the CR for a 1/2 Ogre (RoD)? Obviously, it's based on it's class levels, but does it have a base CR that the levels are added to? Would it be the same as Drow, being a +2 LA race with no racial HD?
A 006 (D&D 3.5e)

Any 1/2 CR monster who has class levels has a CR equal to their class levels. A 1/2 CR Ogre is treated like a 1/2 CR Human. One lv.12 Ogre Monk would be a CR 12.

(Note: I don't have the RoD book, so I'm assuming you're saying the Orge is a CR 1/2 by default.)

Anything with a CR of 1 or more adds their class levels to their CR. In this case, it specifically says in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#drow) that a Drow with NPC levels has a CR equal to class levels (a lv.12 Drow Adept would be CR 12) and a Drow with PC levels has a CR equal to class levels +1 (a lv.12 Drow Wizard would be CR 13).

Mando Knight
2009-08-20, 10:42 PM
Any 1/2 CR monster who has class levels has a CR equal to their class levels. A 1/2 CR Ogre is treated like a 1/2 CR Human. One lv.12 Ogre Monk would be a CR 12.

(Note: I don't have the RoD book, so I'm assuming you're saying the Orge is a CR 1/2 by default.)
Clarification on Q 06 (D&D 3.5)
Half Ogre (like Half-Elf, Half Dragon, Half Orc...), not 1/2 CR Ogre.

Origomar
2009-08-21, 12:06 AM
Q 07 v3.5

Is there a flying version of spring attack?

PId6
2009-08-21, 12:12 AM
Q 07 v3.5

Is there a flying version of spring attack?
Flyby Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#flybyAttack)

Gralamin
2009-08-21, 12:19 AM
Flyby Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#flybyAttack)

A 07 Expansion
Adroit Flyby Attack (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Adroit_Flyby_Attack,all) is even closer.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-21, 01:43 AM
Q 8 [D&D 3.5]

The feat Insidious Magic from Player's Guide to Faerûn says that anyone trying to reveal the effect of your spells with divinations must make a CL check against a DC of "11 + your caster level". My question is what caster level does this use? My standard, unmodified CL? My current CL? The CL of the spell they're trying to discover? What if I have many spells up, each with different CLs?

Q 9 [D&D 3.5]

Can Insidious Magic defeat True Seeing, provided the caster fails their CL check?

Eloel
2009-08-21, 02:02 AM
Q10 (3.5)
Is there a flying version of Shot on the Run?
Q11 (3.5)
Is there a casting version of Spring Attack?
Q12 (3.5)
Is there a casting AND flying version of Spring Attack?

Curmudgeon
2009-08-21, 02:12 AM
A 8

It's the caster level of the spell they're trying to detect.
The Weave user may check only once for each divination spell used, no matter how many of your spell effects are operating in that area.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-21, 02:16 AM
A 9

Yes, provided it's not a spell you cast from the schools of evocation or transmutation.

blazinghand
2009-08-21, 02:56 AM
A 10
A 12
Flyby Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#flybyAttack) allows for a standard action, letting you make a ranged attack or cast a standard-action spell mid fly-move.

Fitz10019
2009-08-21, 05:02 AM
Q 13
3.5e

If a PC fails his Will disbelief against an illusary flight of stairs, do the 'stairs' function normally for that PC?

Myou
2009-08-21, 06:07 AM
A 13

No. And he disbelives the second he touches them, as their lack of physical presence proves them to be illusionary.

Fitz10019
2009-08-21, 06:59 AM
A 13 rebuttal
3.5e

Isn't that simply a new save, which the character could fail again? With the spell Phantasmal Killers, an illusion, characters who fail their save take damage for the images. Note, I'm looking for RAW, not logic.

Random832
2009-08-21, 07:27 AM
A 13
The spell description for phantasmal killer has special save rules.

Here's the RAW for what Myou said:
A character faced with proof that an illusion isn’t real needs no saving throw.

Anyway, for the original question you'd really have to know what spell - or at least what subschool - the spell creating the illusion of the stairs is. There is a strong argument that stairs made with shadow conjuration would support the weight even of someone who does successfully disbelieve them (and that there would therefore not be the "proof" required to bypass the save)

Myou
2009-08-21, 07:31 AM
A 13 rebuttal
3.5e

Isn't that simply a new save, which the character could fail again? With the spell Phantasmal Killers, an illusion, characters who fail their save take damage for the images. Note, I'm looking for RAW, not logic.

Please, that's not what the rules say at all. I gave you the RAW answer.

"A character faced with proof that an illusion isn't real needs no saving throw."

Edit: Beaten to it.

Random832
2009-08-21, 07:42 AM
A 11
Look at Mobile Spellcasting (CAdv 111). Requires a concentration check. The wording is slightly ambiguous - it may even allow you to do a full move and cast a spell.

Dekkah
2009-08-21, 07:45 AM
Q 14. D&D 4.0Do you have to choose both target before the attack roll with Twin strike (and any power wich gives "two or more attacks")? Is there an official ruling on this, because i've seen many different opinions.

oxinabox
2009-08-21, 08:59 AM
Q15 Dnd 3.5/3
What is the price for glass gems?
for Con artists.
(Include NonWoTC, or alternate editions if required)

Bulwer
2009-08-21, 09:59 AM
Q 16 (D&D 3.5)

If I cast a spell with a range of touch, then make a non-touch attack, does that attack deliver the spell if it hits?

Random832
2009-08-21, 10:08 AM
A 16
You make a separate attack roll (crit 20/x2) when casting the spell to cast a touch spell on an unwilling target.

(Or, wait - did you mean if you have more than one action in a round somehow and cast a touch spell and then make a melee attack? I don't know in that case)

Bulwer
2009-08-21, 10:11 AM
A 16
You make a separate attack roll (crit 20/x2) when casting the spell to cast a touch spell on an unwilling target.

Yes, but what if I didn't take that, or missed, and still held the charge? Could a later normal melee attack deliver the spell?

Random832
2009-08-21, 10:13 AM
What do you mean by "later"?

All targets of a touch spell (by RAW, only one unwilling target is permitted) have to be touched within the same round the spell is cast, and you don't normally get to make a melee attack on the same round as casting a standard-action spell.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-08-21, 10:18 AM
What do you mean by "later"?

All targets of a touch spell have to be touched within the same round the spell is cast, and you don't normally get to make a melee attack on the same round as casting a standard-action spell.

You typically get a touch attack in the same round you catch the spell, but you may choose to hold the charge and deliver the attack in a later round.

If you are holding the charge you may deliver your spell with a normal attack (if you are attacking with the same hand or natural weapon that are holding the charge).

Random832
2009-08-21, 10:20 AM
I guess there's your answer then. wheresitsaythat?

Wait, found it. :smallmad: Can't find anything on D&DWiki, they split up the whole actions in combat section into a bunch of subpages.

Q 17 If someone hits you while you are holding the charge for a touch spell, does it discharge? The language in the SRD is "If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges.", but it's not clear whether this means any part of you or just your hand.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-08-21, 10:24 AM
I guess there's your answer then. wheresitsaythat?

Wait, found it. :smallmad: Can't find anything on D&DWiki, they split up the whole actions in combat section into a bunch of subpages.

Here is the SRD quote.

Touch Spells in Combat: Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.

Touch Attacks: Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. However, the act of casting a spell does provoke an attack of opportunity. Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. You can score critical hits with either type of attack. Your opponent’s AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. His size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally.

Holding the Charge: If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-21, 10:33 AM
A 17 No.

You must do the touching to discharge the spell, and this requires a successful attack if the target can resist. (Unattended objects, if they are valid targets, do not require an attack.) Being touched is not the same.
touch spell

A spell that delivers its effect when the caster touches a target creature or object. Touch spells are delivered to unwilling targets by touch attacks.

Random832
2009-08-21, 10:35 AM
So, what does "If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally." actually mean? You can't unintentionally roll to hit.

Bulwer
2009-08-21, 10:36 AM
Q 18 (D&D 3.5)

If I take Hunter's Sense as my first-level Warblade stance, I need another Tiger Claw maneuver as a prerequisite for it. If I later swap out that prereq, can I keep the stance?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2009-08-21, 10:37 AM
So, what does "If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally." actually mean? You can't unintentionally roll to hit.

If you decide to pick a flower with the hand holding the charge the spell will discharge.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-21, 10:38 AM
So, what does "If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally." actually mean? You can't unintentionally roll to hit. No, but you can unintentionally deliver a spell to someone who willingly accepts your touch -- say with a handshake. Only unwilling targets require an attack.

Random832
2009-08-21, 10:40 AM
No, but you can unintentionally deliver a spell to someone who willingly accepts your touch -- say with a handshake.

But you're not unintentionally touching them. "unintentionally" implies "not initiated by you", since there's no mechanic for randomly accidentally brushing against something.

warrl
2009-08-21, 10:55 AM
But you're not unintentionally touching them. "unintentionally" implies "not initiated by you", since there's no mechanic for randomly accidentally brushing against something.

How about "if you touch anything with that hand, the spell discharges whether you want it to or not"?

RTGoodman
2009-08-21, 10:59 AM
A 18

The prerequisites listed for Tome of Battle maneuvers and stances are the things required to SELECT them. If you lose the prerequisite, you still keep the maneuver. This has been answered before, and I believe has been clarified by the FAQ.

@ Everyone Else: If there's still some disagreement over the language used in the description of touch spells, perhaps a new thread would be prudent, as the discussion now seems to be not necessarily a SIMPLE question.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-21, 11:05 AM
A 18 Yes.

Unlike feats, which require that you continue to meet the same requirements necessary to acquire that feat in order to accrue its benefits, maneuvers only have requirements to learn them.
In addition to meeting the class and level requirements before you can learn a maneuver, you must meet a certain set of requirements to be able to choose that maneuver as one you know. Stances are considered maneuvers for the purpose of meeting a prerequisite to learn a new maneuver. Since there is no mention of maintaining the maneuver learning requirements in the rules for swapping maneuvers in the Crusader, Swordsage, or Warblade class features, you are free to swap out a prerequisite to learn a maneuver, without impairing your ability to use that maneuver.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-21, 11:53 AM
A 8

It's the caster level of the spell they're trying to detect.

Q 8 Additional

The part you quoted dictates that a given divination spell is checked only once, regardless of the number of active spells it's trying to detect. A casting of True Seeing either sees all of my spells or none of them. What if there are many spells at different CLs in True Seeing's area? How is the DC of the (single) caster level check determined?

Random832
2009-08-21, 11:54 AM
A 8 thought

Roll the die once and all the CLs whose DC it meets are detected, maybe?

quick_comment
2009-08-21, 12:14 PM
Q2

If a spellguard of silverymoon (in PGtF) casts a selective antimagic field on himself, are his spells and items supressed? He can definitely still cast spells, but would they be supressed as soon as he is done casting them?

repost from previous page

Curmudgeon
2009-08-21, 12:57 PM
A 8 thought

Roll the die once and all the CLs whose DC it meets are detected, maybe?
That's exactly right. You check once, but match the result to all spells obscured by Insidious Magic.

Myou
2009-08-21, 04:29 PM
Q 19

Where is the fractional BAB and saves rule from? I thought it was from Unearthed Arcana, but I can't find it.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-21, 04:38 PM
Q 19

Where is the fractional BAB and saves rule from? I thought it was from Unearthed Arcana, but I can't find it.

It IS in Unearthed Arcana, in a sidebar around the Gestalt rules. But since it's sidebar'd, it's not OGL and therefore not on d20SRD.org.

powerdemon
2009-08-21, 04:38 PM
Q 19

A 19
It is, Side bar on page 73. The sidebars are easy to miss.

ColdSepp
2009-08-21, 04:39 PM
Q 19

A.19

It is from Unearthed Arcana, pg. 73. However, as far as I know, it's not in the SRD.

PIRATES!

Myou
2009-08-21, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys!

Stupid unreliable SRD. >.>

Fax Celestis
2009-08-21, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys!

Stupid unreliable SRD. >.>

Not unreliable. Sidebars in UA are not OGL content, so it's illegal to put them in the SRD.

Melamoto
2009-08-21, 05:54 PM
Q 20

Stupid question, but I can't find clarification. Is the movement speed limit from armour absolute, or can it be breached by things? If so, what things, i.e Haste, boots of springing and striding, etc.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-21, 05:56 PM
Q 20

Stupid question, but I can't find clarification. Is the movement speed limit from armour absolute, or can it be breached by things? If so, what things, i.e Haste, boots of springing and striding, etc.

A20 The movement speed adjustment from armor only affects your base land speed. Additional effects (such as haste) are done after the adjustment. A hasted human in full plate moves 50'.

Myou
2009-08-21, 06:01 PM
Not unreliable. Sidebars in UA are not OGL content, so it's illegal to put them in the SRD.
Stupid inconsistant release of meterial. xD

Douglas
2009-08-21, 06:18 PM
A20 detail correction

A hasted human in full plate moves at speed 40. If you apply Haste first, then armor reduction, the 60' speed is reduced by armor to 40. If you apply armor first then Haste, the 20 armor speed is increased by 30 to a maximum of double speed, resulting in 40 again. Either way, you get speed 40, not 50.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-21, 06:47 PM
A20 detail correction

A hasted human in full plate moves at speed 40. If you apply Haste first, then armor reduction, the 60' speed is reduced by armor to 40. If you apply armor first then Haste, the 20 armor speed is increased by 30 to a maximum of double speed, resulting in 40 again. Either way, you get speed 40, not 50.

Oops, forgot about the "max double" clause. However, you also always apply modifiers, DR, elem resist, etc. in the manner most favorable to the players (like a fire vulnerable creature with fire resist multiplies the damage by 1.5, then reduces from his resistance, not the other way around).

powerdemon
2009-08-21, 07:30 PM
Q 20

A 20

Well making it out of mithril makes it lighter. So if it goes from medium to light, that would remove the speed penalty.

ColdSepp
2009-08-21, 07:33 PM
A 20

Well making it out of mithril makes it lighter. So if it goes from medium to light, that would remove the speed penalty.

Tooth of Savok, Slotless item, 2000 GP in ToM removes the penalties completely.

Gralamin
2009-08-21, 07:33 PM
Q 14. D&D 4.0Do you have to choose both target before the attack roll with Twin strike (and any power wich gives "two or more attacks")? Is there an official ruling on this, because i've seen many different opinions.

A 14 (Wow that took a while to be answered): A Power's Targets must be selected before the Power is used.

Making an Attack
All attacks follow the same basic process:

Choose the attack you'll use. Each attack has an attack type.
Choose targets for the attack (Page 272). Each Target must be within range (Page 273). Check Whether you can see and target your enemies (Page 273)
Make an Attack Roll...

powerdemon
2009-08-21, 07:41 PM
Tooth of Savok, Slotless item, 2000 GP in ToM removes the penalties completely.

What page is that on?

valadil
2009-08-21, 07:50 PM
Q 21 D&D Any - What color is Tiamat's body? The draconomicon only specifies that the heads are different colors.

I went through 50 pages of google images. Most illustrations of Tiamat omit the body, probably because there is no definitive color for it. Several images use red. I think that's what they went with for the cartoon. Some use black. I was planning on going with green, if only because it's more reptilian looking. Does anyone have a definite answer?

Curmudgeon
2009-08-21, 09:38 PM
Oops, forgot about the "max double" clause. However, you also always apply modifiers, DR, elem resist, etc. in the manner most favorable to the players (like a fire vulnerable creature with fire resist multiplies the damage by 1.5, then reduces from his resistance, not the other way around).
That's not true, I'm afraid. While you are free to apply things in whatever order is most favorable when there is no other stipulation, sometimes you don't have a choice. An example:
Fast Movement (Ex)

A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-21, 09:46 PM
A 21

In her natural form, Tiamat is a thick-bodied dragon with five heads and a wyvern's tail. Each head is a different color: white, black, green, blue, and red. Her massive body is striped in those colors.

Of course, the picture of her on the same page contradicts the text showing her with a dark reddish-brown body. The Aspect of Tiamat mini likewise shows a dark brown (almost black) body.

I would guess that her actual body color varies according to her mood. She IS a goddess, after all. So in other words, make it whatever you want it to be. :smallwink:

Curmudgeon
2009-08-21, 09:49 PM
What page is that on?
It's actually a Tooth of Dahlver-Nar, specifically the one linked to the vestige named Savnok (not Savok). You'll find them on pages 77-79. Note that there are significant consequences of being under the influence of this vestige, and you cannot avoid either the influence or the sign. Savnok is detailed on pages 45-47.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-21, 10:02 PM
That's not true, I'm afraid. While you are free to apply things in whatever order is most favorable when there is no other stipulation, sometimes you don't have a choice. An example:

Haste, which was the example I used, does not carry such a demarcation.

ColdSepp
2009-08-21, 10:03 PM
It's actually a Tooth of Dahlver-Nar, specifically the one linked to the vestige named Savnok (not Savok). You'll find them on pages 77-79. Note that there are significant consequences of being under the influence of this vestige, and you cannot avoid either the influence or the sign. Savnok is detailed on pages 45-47.

I wouldn't call the consequences significant...

Curmudgeon
2009-08-21, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't call the consequences significant...
Huh? Once you put on armor, or pick up a shield, Savnok’s influence requires you cannot take it off/put it down! Ever! Seems significant enough to me.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-21, 10:53 PM
Haste, which was the example I used, does not carry such a demarcation.
No, that has its own limitation in the 2X speed maximum. I was just adding a cautionary note because your general principle has some specific exceptions.

ColdSepp
2009-08-21, 11:02 PM
Huh? Once you put on armor, or pick up a shield, Savnok’s influence requires you cannot take it off/put it down! Ever! Seems significant enough to me.

Except you can pull the tooth out, if you ever need to be unarmored. A restful crystal negates the issue of sleeping in armor. Unless your group roleplays needing to wash (which can be handled via Prestidigitation anyway) and waste elimination (Ring of Sustenance is also common, because people hate tracking rations) there isn't much downside.

Restful Crystal is a standard buy in my experience, and crystals can be changed as a move action, so it's not like you are limiting your options. I could see why it would be bad in a Water Campaign, but if you are going to be wearing full plate in a Water Campaign, you likely have Buoyant (MiC) or Keeled (Stormwracked) and max Swim ranks.

Just my opinion, anyway.

Also, we should discuss this else where if we need to.... this isn't the place for such debate.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 05:23 AM
Also, we should discuss this else where if we need to.... this isn't the place for such debate.
New thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122396).

Eloel
2009-08-22, 10:27 AM
Q22
Which sources should I check for mundane thrown weapons?
Stuff like Alchemist's Fire, Tanglefoot Bag, Acid, Thunderstone, Holywater - well you understand the deal.

Also, is there an item that creates unlimited mundane thrown weapons? Something like Endless Quiver, supplying Acid or Alchemist's Fire in place of arrows.

ColdSepp
2009-08-22, 10:43 AM
Q. 23

If you are an artificer and use UMD to duplicate the spell per Item Creation, how many UMD checks do you need to make? One for each spell? One for each spell each day of creation time? I think it's the latter, but the last ditch effort the artificer can make confuses me.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 11:19 AM
A 23
The artificer must make a successful Use Magic Device check (DC 20 + caster level) to emulate each spell normally required to create the item. That's one check for each spell, each day of the item creation process.

ColdSepp
2009-08-22, 11:21 AM
A 23 That's one check for each spell, each day of the item creation process.

Thanks. I thought so, but 'last ditch effort' made me confused. I guess it's only useful if you have failed a single check.

HCL
2009-08-22, 12:47 PM
Question 24: How does the krau Illumian sigil work? For example if I am an Illuminan Sorcerer3/Cloistered Cleric 1 with a krau sigil will I cast spells as a Sorcerer4/Cleric2? Or will it just increase my effective caster level for the purpose of determining spell damage, duration, save dcs etc.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 01:07 PM
A 24
Krau (“magic”): +1 bonus to caster level for all spells and spell-like abilities (up to a maximum value equal to the illumian’s character level). So yes, you'll cast spells at +1 CL in each category, but you won't prepare spells at any higher level.

ColdSepp
2009-08-22, 01:50 PM
Q. 25 3.5

Do you need Greater Magic Weapon to create items with a +2 or better enhancement, or is Magic Weapon Sufficient?

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 02:18 PM
A 25 Neither.

Pages 285-286 of the Dungeon Master's Guide establishes the basics for creating magic weapons, and in turn refers to pages 223 and following for magic weapon specifics.
To create a magic weapon, a character needs a heat source and some iron, wood, or leatherworking tools. She also needs a supply of materials, the most obvious being the weapon or the pieces of the weapon to be assembled. Only a masterwork weapon can become a magic weapon ...

Creating a magic weapon has a special prerequisite: The creator’s caster level must be at least three times the enhancement bonus of the weapon.
Item Creation Feat Required: Craft Magic Arms and Armor.
While there are spells listed for non-numerical weapon enhancements, no spell is specified for the basic +n weapon.

OracleofWuffing
2009-08-22, 02:23 PM
Q. 26 D&D 3.5e

Spell Compendium page 162, Prismatic Ray. Do the random effects of the spell apply to creatures with more than 6 hit dice, or do they only apply to creatures with 6 or fewer hit dice?

Kallisti
2009-08-22, 02:27 PM
A 26

It says, "On a successful attack, a creature with 6 Hit DIce or fewer is blinded for 2d4 rounds by the Prismatic Ray in addition to suffering a randomly determined effect..." so RAW only creatures with 6 or fewer HD are affected. However, I believe that was just poor phrasing and they intended only the blinding to be limited by Hit Dice, so ask your DM.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-22, 05:30 PM
The following questions all pertain to D&D 3.5.

Q 27

If somebody charges me, could I use an immediate action after they reach me, but before their attack is made?

Q 28

If a Defending weapon has Greater Magic Weapon on it, can its owner allocate the spell's enhancement bonus to defense?

Q 29

Can a a character gain the AC boost from a Defending weapon without attacking with it?

Q 30

Do the bonuses from multiple Defending weapons stack?

Q 31

If an invisible character picked up a small creature and tucked it away in a pouch or backpack or something, would the small creature become invisible?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-22, 05:45 PM
A27 No. You can't interrupt someone's action, and a charge is a single (full-round) action.

A28 Yes.

A29 Yes. You only have to be wielding it.

A30 No. Bonuses of the same type from different sources do not stack.

A31 Yes. (or DM's Ruling)

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-22, 07:29 PM
q32

Can you split a full round action into 2 standard actions (2 rounds) if you don't move in between?
For example:
Round1: rogue moves 30 feet, begins to pick a lock(full round action)
Round2: rogue finishes picking the lock and moves 30 feet.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 07:34 PM
A 32 Yes.
Start/Complete Full-Round Action

The "start full-round action" standard action lets you start undertaking a full-round action, which you can complete in the following round by using another standard action. You can’t use this action to start or complete a full attack, charge, run, or withdraw. This is exactly what you wanted.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-22, 07:44 PM
Q33
is there a class or prestigue class called necromancer?
if so, which book is it in.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 07:49 PM
A 33

There's a Dread Necromancer base class in Heroes of Horror, and a True Necromancer prestige class in Libris Mortis. Generally speaking, a necromancer is any magic user who specializes in spells from the school of Necromancy.

IthilanorStPete
2009-08-22, 08:31 PM
Q34
D&D 3.5 - is there any magic item that allows the use of Augury x times/day, with unlimited charges, or at will?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-22, 08:48 PM
A34 No, but you can custom make one that's one use per day for (SL 2 x CL 3 x use-activated 2000) / (5/1 time per day) = 2400 gp.

Or, you could just flip a coin.

Kallisti
2009-08-22, 08:50 PM
A 34 partial
Eight Diagram Coins, a wondrous item from Oriental Adventures, casts Augury once per day. (Oriental Adventures pg. 140, 2160 gp)

Also, the feat Dreamtelling (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Dreamtelling,HH) from Heroes of Horror allows one Augury per night per person analyzed, but requires DM approval.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-22, 08:52 PM
A 34 additional

The Thurible of Divining (Arms and Equipment Guide) 1/day.

The Demented One
2009-08-22, 10:57 PM
Q35 - Exalted
Does armor grant soak against aggravated damage, or is there no way outside of charms to get that?

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-22, 11:56 PM
A 33 additional

In particular, Wizards who specialize in necromancy are frequently referred to as just "Necromancers." As in, "Necromancer 3/Master Specialist 2/some other prestige class X" or something like that.

powerdemon
2009-08-23, 12:31 AM
Q 36 dnd 3.5

Is there any way to get extra feats besides more levels? I'm playing a fighter that is insanely low on feats due to heavy prereqs for two prestige classes. Stuff like general feats would be best.

lsfreak
2009-08-23, 12:44 AM
A 36
Character flaws (see SRD/UA).
The spell Heroics (10min/level get any single fighter feat that you meet the prereqs for, from SpC)
Go over to the Lists of Stuff (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=662842) and go the Bonus Feats section to find classes that give bonus feats for a single level (unfortunately it's down at the moment).

powerdemon
2009-08-23, 12:46 AM
A 36
Character flaws (see SRD/UA).
The spell Heroics (10min/level get any single fighter feat that you meet the prereqs for, from SpC)
Go over to the Lists of Stuff (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=662842) and go the Bonus Feats section to find classes that give bonus feats for a single level (unfortunately it's down at the moment).

Thanks. I did already take 2 flaws :smalltongue:. I'll check that site when it works again.

Gralamin
2009-08-23, 12:55 AM
Q35 - Exalted
Does armor grant soak against aggravated damage, or is there no way outside of charms to get that?

A35 Yes
I am not an expert on Exalted. However, page 374 of Exalted 2nd Edition states:

All armor has three important statistics. The first is its soak. Soak is represented by two numbers, separated by a slash and followed by a letter (L or B). The number with the L is the armor’s protection against lethal damage, and the number with the B is its protection against bashing damage. When a character wears the armor, these numbers are added to her natural soak, and the result is subtracted from the raw damage of attacks made against her.
Bolding mine.

The L or B line, combined with their meaning suggests that armor only looks at a subset of damage, a subset that does not count aggravated in its elements.

HOWEVER this is contradicted on page 149, under Aggravated Wounds where it states

Fortunately, armor provides an aggravated soak equal to its lethal soak.
It is an odd choice to place such important rules Separately from the actual rules on armor, but it seems armor does indeed give Aggravated soak.

Brett Wong
2009-08-23, 01:46 AM
Q36
Can you make a diplomacy check to sell items for more gold?

Q37

Does WBL take into account selling somethings for half price to get more useful things and using consumables during the course of your adventure?

Exerpt.

Table: Character Wealth by Level lists the amount of treasure each PC is expected to have at a specific level. Note that this table assumes a standard fantasy game. Low-fantasy games might award only half this value, while high-fantasy games might double the value. It is assumed that some of this treasure is consumed in the course of an adventure (such as potions and scrolls), and that some of the less useful items are sold for half value so more useful gear can be purchased.

(edit: because my DM thinks that WBL is amusing you HAVE NOT sold anything at half price or used any consumables and that our party would meet our WBL if we hadn't sold all of the useless junk we had accumulated over the course of our adventures.)

PId6
2009-08-23, 02:24 AM
(Assuming 3.5)

Q36

Not by RAW, but it's not unreasonable to expect that someone who's been diplomacied to "Friendly" or "Helpful" would offer better deals to you.

Q37

You should receive higher wealth than WBL if you actually adventure it out with the treasure tables, so it does account for consumables and resurrections. But I do not believe it generally accounts for having to sell items at half price.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure. It seems to say that it does, but it's unclear to what extent it actually accounts for it.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-23, 04:01 AM
A 36 Yes.

You can use Diplomacy to Haggle; see Complete Adventurer pages 98-99. A successful check lets you buy items at 9/10 of list price. The same check should let you sell used items at 10/9 of the regular 1/2 price, or about 56%.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-23, 04:11 AM
A 37

The "Wealth by Level" table should only be used as an input when creating characters above 1st level. It's intended to be used as a check on outputs: i.e., what characters end up with. The inputs are given on pages 51 and 54 of the Dungeon Master's Guide, in the Treasure per Encounter and Treasure per Character tables. These numbers are higher than the WbL figures to account for consumables.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-23, 11:30 AM
Q38

I've been searching everywhere and can't find it.

Is there a special ability in some class or PrC, or a spell, that would allow for animate dead without the material components, and without the permanent nature of the spell?
For example, player touches a fallen foe and it becomes a ghoul under her control for 1 minute per level. (thinking of necromancy in some video games)

Fax Celestis
2009-08-23, 11:51 AM
A38 There's a warlock invocation in Complete Arcane called The Dead Walk, which pretty much does that.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-23, 12:07 PM
A 38 Additional

The Dirgesinger's Song of Awakening can animate a body for as long as the Dirgesinger continues to perform. The corpse has all its class features and Supernatural and Spell-like abilities abilities.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-23, 01:48 PM
q39
Can a necropolitan or other undead character be raised after they are destroyed? If so, does rezing them put the character at one level less than when they became undead?

Spiryt
2009-08-23, 02:00 PM
Q 40
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5

Is there any difference in outcome of triping, bull rushing and other attacks if trpied guy is unaware (flatfooted)?

It seems that he's not going to get AoO, and that's all which is rather weird.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-23, 02:13 PM
A 39

Characteristics of the undead type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType):
Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead. Since becoming a necropolitan involves losing a level, with True Resurrection you'd be at a disadvantage because you'd lose the template and wouldn't regain the level. With Resurrection you'd be a further level behind.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-23, 02:16 PM
A 40

Being flat-footed denies your DEX bonus to AC, so the target would also be easier to hit with the required attack roll (melee touch attack for trip; normal attack for bull rush).

Myou
2009-08-23, 05:40 PM
Q 41

I saw someone here go unchallenged when they said that you can hold the charge on ranged touch spells until you suceed on an attack roll. Is this true? It makes no sense to me, and doesn't match anything I've seen in the rules. :smallconfused:

I use that emote too often.

blazinghand
2009-08-23, 05:59 PM
A 41

Touch Spells and Holding the Charge

In most cases, if you don’t discharge a touch spell on the round you cast it, you can hold the charge (postpone the discharge of the spell) indefinitely. You can make touch attacks round after round. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.

It doesn't specify melee or ranged touch. You can read the SRD article here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration) I am unable to find text in the SRD expressing allowing or forbidding holding the charge with a ray spell.

ColdSepp
2009-08-23, 06:01 PM
Q 41

I saw someone here go unchallenged when they said that you can hold the charge on ranged touch spells until you suceed on an attack roll. Is this true? It makes no sense to me, and doesn't match anything I've seen in the rules. :smallconfused:

I use that emote too often.

A. 41, From the SRD

Touch Attacks

Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. However, the act of casting a spell does provoke an attack of opportunity. Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. You can score critical hits with either type of attack. Your opponent’s AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. His size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally.

Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.

Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

Myou
2009-08-23, 06:19 PM
A. 41, From the SRD

But doesn't making a ranged touch attack discharge the spell whether you hit or not? It doesn't actually make sense for you to be able to hold the charge after a miss with a ranged touch, especially when a lot of them fire a ray.

The text look to me like it's talking about melee touches only in the latter paragraphs, that's certainly how I always read it. Otherwise it's saying you can use a held ranged touch to make an unarmed strike at range.

tyckspoon
2009-08-23, 07:27 PM
But doesn't making a ranged touch attack discharge the spell whether you hit or not? It doesn't actually make sense for you to be able to hold the charge after a miss with a ranged touch, especially when a lot of them fire a ray.

The text look to me like it's talking about melee touches only in the latter paragraphs, that's certainly how I always read it. Otherwise it's saying you can use a held ranged touch to make an unarmed strike at range.

The text certainly allows for holding the charge of a Ranged Touch spell. But- there are very few Ranged Touch spells (in fact, I can't think of any- the only way I can think of to get one is to apply the Reach metamagic to a Touch spell.) A Ray spell is not a Touch spell; it just makes a Ranged Touch Attack (compare Cure Light Wounds and Ray of.. well, anything. Effect: Ray and Range: Close for most Ray spells- you are not generating a charge in your hand that can be held. You are producing and launching a ray as you cast the spell. If you miss with the Ray, it's gone.)

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-08-23, 07:32 PM
Q. 42 DND 3.5 Can creatures with more than 2 arms use Multiweapon Fighting in place of Two Weapon Fighting for purposes of Prestige Class Prerequisites, such as Tempest, or class abilites, like Ranger combat style?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-23, 07:54 PM
Q. 42 DND 3.5 Can creatures with more than 2 arms use Multiweapon Fighting in place of Two Weapon Fighting for purposes of Prestige Class Prerequisites, such as Tempest, or class abilites, like Ranger combat style?

A42 Yes. The feat automatically substitutes per the text in MWF.

Random832
2009-08-23, 08:40 PM
But- there are very few Ranged Touch spells (in fact, I can't think of any- the only way I can think of to get one is to apply the Reach metamagic to a Touch spell.)

No on that: "The spell effectively becomes a ray". There is no "ranged touch" range category in spell descriptors, so this whole line of discussion is a non-starter.

powerdemon
2009-08-23, 10:47 PM
Q 43 DnD 3.5

Are there any items that grant a +3 or higher bonus to Perform(dance) and/or Tumble?

If not, are there any rules for making such an item?

EDIT: I answered the second half of my own question.
(http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)

blazinghand
2009-08-24, 12:23 AM
A 43 Partial

Circlet of Persuasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#circletofPersuasion) gives a +3 bonus to all Cha-based checks, including dance.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-24, 12:26 AM
A 43

The Psychoactive Skin of Nimbleness (Magic Item Compendium, page 171) gives +10 competence to Tumble. The Belt of Lions (Magic of Faerûn, page 154) gives +10 competence to Tumble and Move Silently. Slippers of Battledancing (Dungeon Master's Guide II, page 272) give +5 competence to Tumble. Boots of Swiftness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofSwiftness) (Epic Level Handbook) give +20 competence bonus to Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble.

A Vest of Legends (Dungeon Master's Guide II, pages 272-273) gives +5 competence to Diplomacy and Perform (all checks).

powerdemon
2009-08-24, 12:42 AM
Thanks you two. I appreciate it!

Ghal Marak
2009-08-24, 01:05 AM
Q 44 4e D&D

Was Crafting dropped from 4th edition? I can't seem to find it in the Player's Handbook.

Faulty
2009-08-24, 01:26 AM
Q 45

If I use the Adaptive Style feat to change maneuvers, do I instantly gain back all my maneuvers?

Eloel
2009-08-24, 01:28 AM
Q 45

If I use the Adaptive Style feat to change maneuvers, do I instantly gain back all my maneuvers?

A45
Yes you do

Faulty
2009-08-24, 01:30 AM
Thank you.

Q 46

Do I get the extra damage from the level 1 White Raven stance Leading the Charge? It says that allies get it, but would I?

Myou
2009-08-24, 03:48 AM
The text certainly allows for holding the charge of a Ranged Touch spell. But- there are very few Ranged Touch spells (in fact, I can't think of any- the only way I can think of to get one is to apply the Reach metamagic to a Touch spell.) A Ray spell is not a Touch spell; it just makes a Ranged Touch Attack (compare Cure Light Wounds and Ray of.. well, anything. Effect: Ray and Range: Close for most Ray spells- you are not generating a charge in your hand that can be held. You are producing and launching a ray as you cast the spell. If you miss with the Ray, it's gone.)

Ah, now this makes a little more sense! So you're saying that requiring a ranged touch atack is not what makes a spell viable for holding te charge, such spells can only be held if their range is Touch?

No on that: "The spell effectively becomes a ray". There is no "ranged touch" range category in spell descriptors, so this whole line of discussion is a non-starter.

Ah, so no spell anywhere can be held after a mised ranged touch attack?

Salt_Crow
2009-08-24, 05:02 AM
Q 47 D&D 3.5

When a Chameleon gains Double Aptitude class feature, does her Ability Boon apply twice as well?

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-24, 06:42 AM
A 44

If you are referring to creating magic items, that is now accomplished via a ritual.

If you are referring to crafting mundane items as a skill (as it was in 3.x), it no longer exists. I don't know if any other means of creating such items has since been introduced, but there wasn't any in the PHB.

dragoonsgone
2009-08-24, 08:38 AM
A 44 Continued
Alchemy was introduced in Adventures Vault 1. It can be taken as an alternative to ritual casting for classes that get it ritual casting for free.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-24, 09:07 AM
A 46 Yes.

This was answered in the previous incarnation of this thread in # 358 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6532012&postcount=793).

Curmudgeon
2009-08-24, 09:19 AM
A 47 No.

The Chameleon's Aptitude Boon applies "when choosing an aptitude focus". Double Aptitude lets you choose two aptitude focuses at once, not two aptitude focuses in succession. The nature of the choice is spelled out in the ability's proscription:
You can’t adopt the same aptitude focus twice simultaneously. As you're only making one choice for Double Aptitude, Aptitude Boon only applies once.

Random832
2009-08-24, 09:22 AM
Ah, so no spell anywhere can be held after a mised ranged touch attack?

Probably not. The wording in that one section is slightly ambiguous, but it's something that A) makes no sense and B) is a tough sell to justify RAW-wise.

The more interesting question is if you can affect multiple hostile targets with a (melee) touch spell if you somehow have multiple unarmed attacks in a round (e.g. flurry of blows, or just by making an attack of opportunity). The answer by RAW appears to be no, even though it appears the charge lasts a round after you touch someone( to allow you to affect multiple friendlies).

Myou
2009-08-24, 09:26 AM
Probably not. The wording in that one section is slightly ambiguous, but it's something that A) makes no sense and B) is a tough sell to justify RAW-wise.

The more interesting question is if you can affect multiple hostile targets with a (melee) touch spell if you somehow have multiple unarmed attacks in a round (e.g. flurry of blows, or just by making an attack of opportunity). The answer by RAW appears to be no, even though it appears the charge lasts a round after you touch someone( to allow you to affect multiple friendlies).

That's just what I thought reading it as well. :smallsmile:

The RAW answer would have to be no I think, because it says it discharges the first time you hit with a melee touch attack, whereas touching friendly targets requires no such attack.

Mando Knight
2009-08-24, 10:41 AM
A 44

I don't know if any other means of creating such items has since been introduced, but there wasn't any in the PHB.

A 44 continuation.
There is no way to create mundane (or any) items at a profit in 4E without DM adjudication. The Warsmith and Imbuer backgrounds from Dragon #366 allow you to create mundane items (weapons and armor for Warsmith, implements for Imbuer. Ask your DM if any mundane items count as Wondrous) at-cost. Imbuer also allows the character to create wondrous items of his level or lower, and both backgrounds can use creation rituals without the Ritual Caster feat.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-24, 12:37 PM
Q 48 [D&D 3.5]

I just want a confirmation concerning lesser planetouched. Is it true that they have all the statistics of planetouched except for the outsider type, and are LA +0?

ColdSepp
2009-08-24, 12:43 PM
Q 48 [D&D 3.5]

I just want a confirmation concerning lesser planetouched. Is it true that they have all the statistics of planetouched except for the outsider type, and are LA +0?

A. 48

Yes. Races of Faerun, pg. 91 for the exact text.

Jastermereel
2009-08-24, 05:32 PM
Q 49

A. While Animate Object says, "This spell cannot animate objects carried
or worn by a creature.", can you kill someone and then animate their clothing? Once dead, are they still a creature by RAW?

B. If the clothes can be animated, can one then animate the dead the clothing is on? You wouldn't be animating worn objects, you'd be animating dead that are surrounded by an animated object, no?

C. Could a MMII Raggamoffyn (forgive me for mentioning them) use it's Dominate Monster ability on a pre-existing undead?

powerdemon
2009-08-24, 05:44 PM
Q 50 DND 3.5

With retraining rules from UA Player's Handbook II, can you retrain skills that were once Cross Class skills into Class skills?

Example: Taking 3 ranks in CC skill tumble, then taking levels in some class that has tumble as a Class skill and retraining those 6 points used previously.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-24, 06:01 PM
A 50 No.

The skill retraining process (Players Handbook II, page 194) is both straightforward and limited.
Subtract up to 4 skill ranks from one skill and add an equal number of ranks to any one other skill (not including Speak Language). The skill to which you add the ranks must be a class skill for one of your character’s classes, including a class he is about to gain with his current level increase. It doesn’t matter whether the lost ranks were purchased as class skills or as cross-class skills. You move skill ranks around. The point cost in the past is never considered. You cannot "win" (gain extra skill points to spend elsewhere) but you can "lose" (move ranks that cost 2 points each into skills that cost only 1 point each).

Edit: You mentioned "UA" as the source for retraining. While Unearthed Arcana has variant rules for character development and alternative skill systems, there is nothing there about rebuilding skill ranks. PH2 is the book that has those rules.

powerdemon
2009-08-24, 06:05 PM
A 50 No.

The skill retraining process (Players Handbook II, page 194) is both straightforward and limited. You move skill ranks around. The point cost in the past is never considered. You cannot "win" (gain extra skill points to spend elsewhere) but you can "lose" (move ranks that cost 2 points each into skills that cost only 1 point each).

Gotcha. Thanks Mudge.

falcon36
2009-08-24, 08:12 PM
Q 51 (DnD 3.5e)

does the metamagic effect of an Incantatrix permanantly add to that spells spell level? So if I cast Grease on a weapon and chained it to other weapons. Would the Grease become a 4th level spell if I wanted to metamagic effect it again? (for example chain spell again)

ColdSepp
2009-08-24, 09:46 PM
Q. 52

The Blueshine armor property in the MiC grants the armor it's applied to immunity to acid and rust. How does that interact with a warforged, since it's armor is part of it?

Curmudgeon
2009-08-24, 10:10 PM
A 51 Yes.
Spell slot increases for metamagic feats that were applied to affect the spell’s casting (such as Still Spell, Silent Spell, or Quicken Spell) do not count toward the modified spell level, but adjustments for metamagic that change the spell’s effect (such as Empower Spell, Enlarge Spell, or Widen Spell) do count. Chain Spell changes the spell's effect, so it persistently modifies the spell level.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-24, 10:14 PM
A 52

You would render the warforged's Composite Plating rust- and acid-proof.

ColdSepp
2009-08-25, 01:04 AM
Q. 53

Warforged Juggernaut has Healing Immunity, which I believe includes regeneration, such and from an item (Regenerate is a Conjuration(Healing) spell.)

Is there an item somewhere based off Repair Damage or similar that grants something like regen that a construct or warforged could use?

Ravens_cry
2009-08-25, 01:26 AM
Q54 Pathfinder
If one were to take a point in 'knowledge: [arcana]' every level, at what level would one qualify for Dragon Disciple, 5 or six? Assuming one met the other requirements of course.

PId6
2009-08-25, 01:57 AM
A 54

You can start taking the class at level 6. You must always have PrC requirements fulfilled before the level that you take the PrC.

oxinabox
2009-08-25, 06:26 AM
Q54 DnD 3.5
Damage reductions
DR 4/Cold Iron.
WHat can and can't be reduced by damage reduction?
Weapons?
Rays?
Elemental damage (eg fireball)?
Falling damage?
Injury due to poisons?
Injury due to teleportaion fault (eg accidentally teleporting into a wall)

Q55
If you cast a spell defensivly and fail yyour concentration check, what happens?

Q56
If you don't cans defensively, and someone lands an Attack of opertunity agaisnt you, which hits but deals no damage (DR, fast healling etc) what happens

Divinech
2009-08-25, 06:28 AM
Q58: (D&D 3.5)
Is there an way for a dragon to increase it's size by one ore more categories? Polymorph/Shapechange should work, but are there other options? Maybe some magic items?

(I hope this question is not too general)

oxinabox
2009-08-25, 06:35 AM
A58:
Enlarge, (persisted)
psionic Expand
etc etc etc.
for purposes of weilding weapons/grappling.
Strongarm bracers (MiC)

EDIT:
and since it's a dragon: get older
To go up more than 1 is hard, maybe psionic stacks with magic, otherwise you can metagmaic the enlarge by RAW (just) IIRC. or is there a greater enlarge.:smallfrown:

Divinech
2009-08-25, 07:03 AM
oxinabox, I think you numbered your questions wrong, because we already had a Q54. I answer in your numbering nevertheless:

A54
The numerical part of a creature’s damage reduction is the amount of hit points the creature ignores from normal attacks. So it would ignore the damage from weapons. But not from any spell (ray, elemental damage, etc) or poison.
Not too sure about falling damage and teleportation fault myself.

A55
You lose the spell. So you wasted a standard action (or whatever action you used to cast the spell) and the spell is removed from your spell list, as if you had actually cast it.

A55
Nothing happens, because damage needs to be dealt for requiring a concentration check.

A58, continuation
Enlarge Person does not work, because it only works for Humanoids. Expansion (the psionic power) can only be manifested by a psychic warrior and has the range personal.

Eloel
2009-08-25, 07:10 AM
A58 continued
There's also a Wu Jen spell that increases size by a few steps. Not sure of the name though, it's in CArc

Q59
Can a Specialist Wizard who has barred evocation, and is also a multiclass Sorcerer, cast evocation spells from his sorcerer levels?
What about if the multiclass was a Cleric?

Yora
2009-08-25, 07:23 AM
A59

Yes he can cast them and use items. But only if he could do so if he had no levels in wizard at all.

Eloel
2009-08-25, 07:26 AM
Thanks, it was bothering me quite bad :)

Yora
2009-08-25, 07:48 AM
Or to explain my thought behind it: Taking a prohibited school removes the spells from the characters wizard spell list. Then you have the same limitations as a bard/cleric or druid/ranger.

Bulwer
2009-08-25, 10:49 AM
Q 60 3.5

When Leap Attacking with a two-handed weapon, do you get 3 additional damage for each point of attack bonus deducted?

powerdemon
2009-08-25, 10:52 AM
Q 60 3.5

When Leap Attacking with a two-handed weapon, do you get 3 additional damage for each point of attack bonus deducted?

A 60

Yup, here is the quoted text from the feat.

If you use this tactic with a two-handed weapon, you instead triple the extra damage from Power Attack.

quick_comment
2009-08-25, 11:10 AM
Q61

Is there any quori that can be used as a PC or cohort?

lsfreak
2009-08-25, 11:31 AM
A60 con't
The errata messes things up. It says to change it to 100% additional damage, which would be 4:1. The errata also only has you replace the sentence about one-handed weapons, however, which changes absolutely nothing about the feat. Extremely strict RAW is 3:1, however the errata is often interpreted to change it to 4:1 (as otherwise, the errata is completely pointless).

Basically it comes down to, ask your DM 3:1 or 4:1.

powerdemon
2009-08-25, 11:38 AM
Q 62 3.5

For the feat Extraordinary Artisan the text says:

When determining the gold piece cost in raw materials you need to craft any item, reduce the base price by 25%.

Does that mean that the effective cost reduction is 1/2 25% since you are just changing the BASE price, not the cost?

Q 63 3.5

According to the SRD:

A newly created construct has average hit points for its Hit Dice.

Does this mean that you can increase their HP past the average? Say by repairing them?

Yora
2009-08-25, 12:08 PM
A 63

Item creation cost is 1/2 the base price. It doesn't raelly make a difference if you reduce the base price or the item creation cost by 25%. But as you can still sell it at full value, reducing creation cost would be more accurate.

A 64

No. It means, that a newly created construct has hp equal to (HD * 5,5). This is the constructs maximum hp.
But you probably have to add bonus hp for it's size, as listed in the Construct type description.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-25, 12:23 PM
A 60 No.

This answer requires looking at multiple errata:
Page 110: Leap Attack
The second sentence of the Benefit paragraph should read as follows:
If you cover at least 10 feet of horizontal distance with your jump, and you end your jump in a square from which you threaten your target, you deal +100% the normal bonus damage from your use of the Power Attack feat. "+100% the normal bonus damage from your use of the Power Attack feat" is ambiguous in the rules, but another erratum defines it.
Page 35: Frenzied Berserker’s Improved
Power Attack (class feature)
The improved power attack class feature should read as follows:
Improved Power Attack: Beginning at 5th level, a frenzied berserker deals +50% the normal damage from her use of the Power Attack feat. In other words, when using the Power Attack feat, a frenzied berserker wielding a two-handed weapon gains a +3 bonus on damage rolls (instead of a +2 bonus) for each –1 penalty she applies to her attack rolls. So the answer is that you get four additional damage for each point of attack bonus deducted, when using Leap Attack with a two-handed weapon.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-25, 01:08 PM
A 58 additional

If the dragon can cast Cleric spells (like a red or blue dragon), Righteous Might will increase the dragon's size.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-25, 01:11 PM
A61 Short of symbiotes (who aren't really quori anyway), none that I am aware of.

Jastermereel
2009-08-25, 01:53 PM
RE Q 49:

*Cough cough* (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6789367&postcount=143)

I don't mean to sound impatient, I was just worried that my designs for confusing clerics will get lost in the shuffle.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-25, 02:03 PM
RE Q 49:

*Cough cough* (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6789367&postcount=143)

I don't mean to sound impatient, I was just worried that my designs for confusing clerics will get lost in the shuffle.

Theoretically, yes, to all your questions. But it's going to take some DM adjudication as to how exactly it all works.

Faleldir
2009-08-25, 02:09 PM
Q 65 (3.5)
Can you recover maneuvers while raging?

Curmudgeon
2009-08-25, 02:09 PM
A 49

1. Yes, you can animate an unattended object. Each article of clothing (tunic, trousers, belt, boot, robe, & c.) is a separate item. A corpse is no longer a creature, though "dead creature" is a specific target for some spells.

B. Yes, you could independently animate a corpse and one or more articles of clothing around that corpse.

C. No, the target must be a living creature, not an undead.
Control Host (Su): A raggamoffyn can attempt to take control of any creature it has wrapped (see below). ... Use the captured one template (see the appendix) for a creature under the control of a raggamoffyn.
A captured one is a living creature that is under the control of a raggamoffyn.
“Captured one” is a template that can be added to a giant, humanoid, monstrous humanoid, animal, beast, or vermin (hereafter known as the “base creature”) that is the same size as or smaller than the dominating raggamoffyn.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-25, 02:10 PM
Both of the following questions pertain to D&D 3.5.

Q 65

If a spellcaster suffers ability damage or drain to the ability score that governs their bonus spells, so they lose spell slots? If so, can they choose which spell slots they lose, provided they are of the appropriate level? Can they choose to lose a spent spell slot?

Q 66

Would Sheltered Vitality prevent ability dame or drain from Sacrifice and Corruption costs? If you were immune to ability damage or drain, would you be able to cast spells with such components at all? I don't see anything specifying this, like the Hellfire Warlock does.

Bulwer
2009-08-25, 02:17 PM
Q 67 3.5

Your mind splits into two independent parts. Each part functions in complete autonomy, like two characters in one body. Your new “second mind” does not control your body physically but is free to take one standard action in each round if the action is purely mental (such as manifesting a power) in the same round you take your normal actions.

That's the first paragraph of Schism, the psionic power.

Can I use the second mind to take a move action if it's purely mental?

Curmudgeon
2009-08-25, 02:21 PM
A 65 No.

After daily spell preparation those spells or slots are in place. The requirement for a requisite ability score is fixed at certain activities.
To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the wizard must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. If the character can still cast the spells, neither ability drain nor ability damage directly impacts spells or slots already prepared. These conditions use a different mechanic than energy drain.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-25, 02:23 PM
A 67 Yes.

You can, as usual per the rules, use a move action (that you're capable of) instead of a standard action.

Demons_eye
2009-08-25, 02:37 PM
Q 68: 3.5

If I am a shifter and take weretouch master to level 5 do I use up shifts per day when I take a animal/hybrid form. If not how many times per day can you use it?

Curmudgeon
2009-08-25, 02:44 PM
A 66

Yes, you would be protected from ability damage or drain by Sheltered Vitality. No, you would not be able to cast those spells or use abilities dependent on this damage or drain while so protected, as you would not meet the requirements.
A corrupt spell has no material components. Instead, it draws power away from the mental or physical well-being of the caster in the form of ability damage or ability drain.
Once you have activated your stigmata, you can touch your allies to heal them of 1 point of damage per level they possess for every 2 points of Constitution damage you take.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-25, 02:50 PM
A 68

Yes, you would use up shifts per day when relying on the 5th level ability of the Weretouched Master.
Instead of using his normal shifting ability, he can shift into animal form as though using the polymorph spell on himself ...

blazinghand
2009-08-25, 03:22 PM
Q 69 3.5
When activating a Wand or Scroll of a spell with a Verbal or Somatic component, do you have to make noises and wave your hands around as normal? If so, do you need an additional free hand in addition to the one holding the Wand or Scroll?

Yora
2009-08-25, 03:27 PM
A69

Activating a scroll spell is subject to disruption just as casting a normally prepared spell would be. Using a scroll is like casting a spell for purposes of arcane spell failure chance.
As the spell failure chance is because of restricted movement, apparently using a scroll requires moving your arms.

Da Pwnzlord
2009-08-25, 03:31 PM
Q 70

Can artificers use prestige class spell lists to help determine the "minumum caster level" of a spell?

"For purposes of meeting item prerequisites, an artificer’s Effective Caster Level equals his artificer level +2. If the item duplicates a spell effect, however, it uses the artificer’s actual level as its caster level. Costs are always determined using the item’s minimum caster level or the artificer’s actual level (if it is higher). Thus, a 3rd level artificer can make a scroll of fireball, since the minimum caster level is for fireball is 5th. He pays the normal cost for making such a scroll with a caster level of 5th: 5×3 x 12.5 = 187 gp and 5 sp. But the scroll’s actual caster level is 3rd and it produces a weak fireball that only deals 3d6 points of damage."

Couldn't, by RAW, a 7th level Artificer scribe Miracles, because an Ur-Priest could cast Miracle with CL9?

Yora
2009-08-25, 04:01 PM
A 70

As written: Yes he can.

But I'm pretty sure that the case of the Ur-priest is a very rare exception from the rule, that 9th level spells are available at CL 17th at the earliest, and I'd assume that the writer of the artificer didn't know about it. If he had, he'd probably had written the text of that ability differently.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-25, 04:11 PM
A 70

Yes and no. Only an Ur-Priest with bonus 9th level spells can cast Miracle at level 9 of the PrC; the base allotment is 0 9th level spells. The Artificer's effective caster level does not include bonus spells, so the Artificer could not create a Miracle scroll below level 8.

There are also a couple of basic problems with this specific scroll. An 8th level Miracle is extremely weak. And as it's emulating an Ur-Priest asking a deity for a Miracle, it's unlikely to function. While Ur-Priests steal the power to cast spells, once Miracle is cast the description specifies the result as a response to a request directed at a deity or power.
You don’t so much cast a miracle as request one. You state what you would like to have happen and request that your deity (or the power you pray to for spells) intercede.
In any event, a request that is out of line with the deity’s (or alignment’s) nature is refused.
Any request would be out of line for a deity or power that does not condone stealing spells. Regardless of whether the request would succeed or fail, the 5,000 XP to allow a powerful request is additional and independent of the caster level used.

Da Pwnzlord
2009-08-25, 04:16 PM
A 70

Yes and no. Only an Ur-Priest with bonus 9th level spells can cast Miracle at level 9 of the PrC; the base allotment is 0 9th level spells. The Artificer's effective caster level does not include bonus spells, so the Artificer could not create a Miracle scroll below level 8.

There are also a couple of basic problems with this specific scroll. An 8th level Miracle scroll is extremely weak. And as it's emulating an Ur-Priest asking a deity for a Miracle, it's unlikely to function. While Ur-Priests steal the power to cast spells, once Miracle is cast the description specifically specifies the result as a response to a request directed at a deity or power. Any request would be out of line for a deity or power that does not condone stealing spells. Regardless of whether the request would succeed or fail, the 5,000 XP to allow a powerful request is additional and independent of the caster level used.

Oops. I don't own the book Ur-Priest is in, but I know basically what the class does. But the point still stands for things like Summon Monster IX, as long as I don't mind a somewhat shorter duration, right?

It just seems so broken that someone would have mentioned it before.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-25, 04:24 PM
But the point still stands for things like Summon Monster IX, as long as I don't mind a somewhat shorter duration, right?
Yes, that's correct. The Artificer could create a scroll emulating an Ur-Priest version of Summon Monster IX, with the same creatures but reduced duration.

Alejandro
2009-08-25, 04:36 PM
Q 71
D&D 3.5

If a PC with a vorpal weapon successfully crits an ettin with one attack, are both heads severed, or only one?

Curmudgeon
2009-08-25, 04:50 PM
A 71 One.

A vorpal weapon removes one head on a critical hit.

Yora
2009-08-25, 04:51 PM
A 71

This potent and feared ability allows the weapon to sever the heads of those it strikes. Upon a roll of natural 20 (followed by a successful roll to confirm the critical hit), the weapon severs the opponent’s head (if it has one) from its body. Some creatures, such as many aberrations and all oozes, have no heads. Others, such as golems and undead creatures other than vampires, are not affected by the loss of their heads. Most other creatures, however, die when their heads are cut off.
I would read this as saying that an ettin is not instantly killed when losing just one head. Another multi-headed creature is the hydra, which explicitly does not die from losing one of it's multiple heads.

lsfreak
2009-08-25, 05:32 PM
Q72
The entry for Grell (at least the Lords of Madness version) mentions the ability to grapple without being considered grappled with a -10 instead of the normal -20. Where is original info about "grappling without grappling?" Glancing through the rules compendium and the SRD I couldn't find it.
EDIT: Nevermind, MM page 310. That'll show me to go off memory instead of reading the monster table.

sonofzeal
2009-08-25, 06:01 PM
Q73

If a creature has Cleric spellcasting as a (Su) ability, then gains levels in the Cleric class, does it get to pick new domains? For example, Solars already have Air and War, could a Solar of an appropriate god take a level in Cleric to get two new domains appropriate to their patron?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-25, 06:17 PM
A73 No. Interestingly, they'd merely advance their casting, as they'd be considered as a cleric according their natural ability, but +1 level. Creatures qualify with and advance with their natural features as if they were class levels, where appropriate. See also this entry (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20070622a) on the Wizards site.

Demons_eye
2009-08-25, 07:25 PM
Q: 74: 3.5

When a Long Tooth Shifter that has levels in Weretouched Master shifts does he gain both Str Bonus if he picked Bear as his heritage?

ColdSepp
2009-08-25, 07:37 PM
Q. 75

If you have multiple sources of Turn Undead (Say Cleric/Paladin) would extra turning apply to them both?

Jastermereel
2009-08-25, 08:33 PM
Thank you both, Fax and Curmudgeon.

Q 76

Is a sleeping character entitled a will save? That is, can someone with Dimension Door take a sleeping person with them without B. triggering a will save and B. waking them (at least, without forcing a wake-up).

quick_comment
2009-08-25, 08:41 PM
A76
Nope. Helpless people are considered willing.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS APPLIES ONLY IN D&D

Jastermereel
2009-08-25, 08:54 PM
A76

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS APPLIES ONLY IN D&D

Well of course; it's a crime deserving of an Inevitable's wrath to transport kidnapped PCs across dimensional lines if they're minors.

Thanks.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-25, 08:59 PM
A76

A 76 comment

I don't think this is quite right. The condition summary for the Helpless condition says that a helpless creature can be coup de grace'd, but mentions nothing about them not being entitled to saving throws. Furthermore, a paralyzed creature is helpless, but still conscious. Are such creatures denied will saves?

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-25, 09:06 PM
A 76 comment

I don't think this is quite right. The condition summary for the Helpless condition says that a helpless creature can be coup de grace'd, but mentions nothing about them not being entitled to saving throws. Furthermore, a paralyzed creature is helpless, but still conscious. Are such creatures denied will saves?

I think it's actually unconscious creatures which are always considered willing targets, but I can't find the reference for that at the moment.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-25, 09:12 PM
I think it's actually unconscious creatures which are always considered willing targets, but I can't find the reference for that at the moment.

I found it myself, actually:

Unconscious creatures are automatically considered willing, but a character who is conscious but immobile or helpless (such as one who is bound, cowering, grappling, paralyzed, pinned, or stunned) is not automatically willing.

So you are correct. My correction still stands, though, since the helpless condition does not strip a creature of its saving throws.

Douglas
2009-08-25, 09:24 PM
Even unconsciousness does not prevent saving throws of any type, not even will saves. It means that you can cast spells that specify willing targets on them, and that's it. They are still entitled to save against any spell you try that allows a save.

maniakmastah
2009-08-25, 10:41 PM
Q 77 D&D 3.5

I'm trying to calculate the cost for making a custom magic item that boosts land speed. Here's what i'm working with.

Level 7 Artificer cohort with Legendary Artisan, Extraordinary Artisan, and Exceptional Artisan.

'Expeditious Retreat', 1st level spell that boosts land speed by +30 ft. for 1 min/level.

Foot slot magic item that i want to be continuous and slotless.

What is the approximate value of gold, XP, and days i'll be spending to make an item like this? Can you also show me the formula used?

Kallisti
2009-08-25, 11:12 PM
A 77
The formula for the base price is spell level times caster level times 2,000 gp times 2 because the spell's duration is measured in minutes. The cost to create is half of that, 1 xp per 25 gp of the base price (Not the cost to create), and one day per thousand gp of the bace price not including the modifiers for your feats.

However,
Q 77 D&D 3.5
Foot slot magic item that i want to be continuous and slotless.

You say both foot slot and slotless. Boots that occupy your foot slot are not slotless. Ioun stones are slotless. Boots are not. If you want slotless, it's another times 2 to the price.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-25, 11:31 PM
Q78

what feats and/or class abilities add the Dex or Wis modifier, or replaces the Str modifier, to the damage of melee attacks? Include sources please.

maniakmastah
2009-08-25, 11:35 PM
A 77
The formula for the base price is spell level times caster level times 2,000 gp times 2 because the spell's duration is measured in minutes. The cost to create is half of that, 1 xp per 25 gp of the base price (Not the cost to create), and one day per thousand gp of the bace price not including the modifiers for your feats.

However,
You say both foot slot and slotless. Boots that occupy your foot slot are not slotless. Ioun stones are slotless. Boots are not. If you want slotless, it's another times 2 to the price.

Oops, forgot to mention that the subject in question was a Warforged who wanted to get speed enhancements inside his legs. Forgot to mention that part.

lsfreak
2009-08-26, 12:02 AM
A 77 con't
Keep in mind, however, that there is no RAW for this situation. Custom items are completely up to DM discretion and the formulae are there only to give extremely rough guidelines. It recommends comparing to other similar items and looking at how useful the item itself is to arrive at the final cost.

sonofzeal
2009-08-26, 12:39 AM
Q78

what feats and/or class abilities add the Dex or Wis modifier, or replaces the Str modifier, to the damage of melee attacks? Include sources please.
A78
Shadow Blade (ToB) uses Dex for damage
Swordsage's Insightful Strike (ToB) adds Wis for damage when using Maneuvers
Zen Archery (CW) uses Wis for attacks on ranged
...I'm sure there's others.

Q79
Is there any easy way to get Power Attack as a bonus feat? (edit: besides that one Monk variant....)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-26, 01:19 AM
A79 Fighter 1? Flaws?

Q80; D&D 3.5 Does a smite apply to all attacks in a full attack, or just the first?

sonofzeal
2009-08-26, 01:38 AM
Q79 (clarification)

I'm looking for ways of getting Power Attack that don't require Str 13.

Kosjsjach
2009-08-26, 02:42 AM
Q81 [3.5]

The Chameleon PrC from Races of Destiny can cast spells like a cleric or wizard, depending on what aptitude focus he picks. He gains bonus spells for having a high enough wisdom or intelligence score, respectively. My question is, does he need a minimum relevant ability score equal to the spell level +10 (e.g. a minimum Int score of 13 to cast 3rd-lvl wizard spells), like the class he's mimicking?

If so, that's some of the worst Multiple-Attribute Dependency I've ever seen (16 Int and Wis required to cast all available spells).

Curmudgeon
2009-08-26, 02:42 AM
A 77

The rules don't give a formula for enhancing speed. However, the formula for all magical bonuses is of the form (bonus)2 ∙ constant. The speed enhancement of Boots of Striding and Springing can be reverse-engineered at 2,000 gp for +10' of speed. This would give a cost of (speed)2 ∙ 20 gp, or 18,000 gp for +30' in an appropriate slot.

This formula is consistent with the basic rule for setting the cost of custom magic items, which is to look at similar items. Boots of Haste also provide a +30' speed boost (and other things) for a limited duration, at 12,000 gp.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-26, 02:46 AM
A 75 No.

While Extra Turning boosts multiple different types of turning/rebuking, it only gives +4 daily uses to a single type of turning/rebuking no matter how many different classes provide this ability.
If you have the ability to turn or rebuke more than one kind of creature each of your turning or rebuking abilities gains four additional uses per day.

Yora
2009-08-26, 03:22 AM
A 80

The SRD says that a paladins smite evil applies to one normal melee attack. Meaning only one, even if you make multiple attacks that round.

Curmudgeon
2009-08-26, 04:27 AM
A 78

From the (cache of the) Lists of Stuff:

Wisdom:

RACES/TEMPLATES
Illumian (Aeshhoon) Races of Destiny p54 3.5 Damage
CLASSES
Battlesmith 1 Races of Stone p96 3.5 Damage
Ordained Champion 5 Complete Champion p91 3.5 Attack/Damage, replaces Str, uses turn attempts
Sacred Fist 4 Complete Divine p59 3.5 Damage
Shiba Protector 1 OA p222 3.0 Hit/Damage
Soulbow 1 Complete Psionics p36 3.5 Damage (with Mind Arrows)
Sword Sage 4/12 Tome of Battle p16 3.5 Wis to strike damage with chosen discipline

Dexterity:

CLASSES
Champion of C.L. 2 Races o' Wild p113 3.5 Damage
Corsair 9 Dragon #321 p86 3.5 Damage (replaces Strength)
Fighter Variant Dragon #310 Ranged Damage (replaces Strength)
Fighter 1 (Drow) DotU p58 3.5 Damage vs Flat-footed foes
FEATS
Crossbow Sniper Players Handbook II p?? 3.5 1/2 Damage to crossbow
Dead Eye DragMag304/DragComp p95 Damage (Errata here)
Shadow Blade Tome of Battle p32 Damage with Shadow Hand weapons
EQUIPMENT
Fey-craft Template DMG II p275 Damage, replaces Strength, light weapons only
Fierce enchantment Arms/Equip guide p96 3.0 Damage, Removes AC bonus
Sword of Graceful Strikes Arms/Equip guide p120 3.0 Damage

Curmudgeon
2009-08-26, 04:33 AM
A 81 Yes.
Arcane Focus: You gain the ability to prepare and cast arcane spells, which may be chosen from the spell list of any arcane spellcasting class. You prepare and cast these spells just as a wizard does, including the use of a spellbook ...
Divine Focus: You gain the ability to prepare and cast divine spells, which may be chosen from the spell list of any divine spellcasting class. You prepare and cast these spells just as a cleric does, except that you cannot spontaneously cast spells. As the Aptitude Focus ability emphasizes the identical mechanism for normal spellcasting classes, you must also have the required minimum ability for the spells you cast.

Note that the Chameleon also gets an Ability Boon of up to +6 to any ability score when choosing their Aptitude Focus. That should be enough for most spellcasting.

Boci
2009-08-26, 04:36 AM
A 79. No. You can use an item to boost your strength to 13, but then if you loose the benefit of the item you loose the feat.

Eloel
2009-08-26, 05:46 AM
Q82
What classes are there that key off of Cha?
I know of Sorcerer/Warmage/Favored Soul(to some extent)/Bard/Marshal...
Anything melee or ranged keying off of Cha? (Wis and Int have their own ToB classes :smallannoyed:)

powerdemon
2009-08-26, 10:09 AM
Q82
What classes are there that key off of Cha?
I know of Sorcerer/Warmage/Favored Soul(to some extent)/Bard/Marshal...
Anything melee or ranged keying off of Cha? (Wis and Int have their own ToB classes :smallannoyed:)

A 82 partial
Paladin if you want the saves.

Mando Knight
2009-08-26, 11:02 AM
A 82 partial
Paladin if you want the saves.

And smiting. Same with Blackguard or the Paladin variants.

lsfreak
2009-08-26, 11:14 AM
A82
Shadowcaster and Binders are also partly based on Charisma. Hexblade and Spellthief.

There's a handful of ways to get Cha to attacks and damage. See X Stat to Y bonus (cached) (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:eH9scN6LKPMJ:boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D320889+x+stat+to+y+bonus&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a).

Thorin
2009-08-26, 11:17 AM
Q.83 D&d 4.0

Does the Word "defenses" include the AC?

So does a power that add +2 to all defenses add +2 to fot, ref, will & AC or just fort, ref & will?

Yora
2009-08-26, 11:26 AM
A83

If I remember, the saves are called "Fortitude defense", "Reflex defense", and "Will defense". If armor class is just called "armor class" and not "armor defense", then "all defenses" does not apply to AC.

Boci
2009-08-26, 11:31 AM
A83

There are two types of defenses: AC and Non-AC. Therefor, I believe that AC does count as a defense.

oprishon
2009-08-26, 12:33 PM
Q84 Forgotten Realms
Not knowing anything about the setting whatsoever, does it include any magic-phobic (all spellcasters are evil) or xenophobic (all-non-humans-are-evil) organizations, religions, or governments? Double points if it's both.

D&D 3.5-era answers preferred, but I'll (reluctantly) take answers from other editions if there aren't any.

Kallisti
2009-08-26, 02:18 PM
A 84 partial

One xenophobic organization is the Eldreth Veluuthra (Elven for 'Victorious Blade of the People'), an elven extremist group that hates humans and assassinates human leaders. Details are in [I]Champions of Ruin[/I.]

oprishon
2009-08-26, 03:09 PM
Q84cont

I need specifically a human one (or of course an antimagic one).

quick_comment
2009-08-26, 03:15 PM
Q85
Is there any way to count as an elf? Im looking for something along the lines of the stoneblessed class (which is to count as a dwarf), or a feat. I think rituals in SS can do it, can anything else?

Demons_eye
2009-08-26, 03:29 PM
Q86: 3.5

How does wildshape work if you wild shape into some thing with less HD then your level?

Kallisti
2009-08-26, 03:44 PM
A 86
You wildshape into that creature as normal. If you can wildshape into creatures of up to 5 HD and wildshape into a 1 HD crow, congratualtions, you are now a 1 HD crow.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-26, 04:47 PM
Q 87 [D&D 3.5]

Would an extended Ocular Spell be able to be held for 16 hours instead of 8?

Q 88 [D&D 3.5]

If a creature that has a contingent resurrection effect on it is killed by a Blasphemy spell, and is immediately returned to life, is the creature still weakened, paralyzed and dazed?

Kallisti
2009-08-26, 05:35 PM
A 87
No, but after it was used, it would have double duration as per regular Extend.
A 88
No, because those conditions all stack. The creature doesn't just die--it becomes dazed, paralyzed, and dead, all of which Resurrection removes, although it would still be at 1 HP near a cleric powerful enough to cast Blasphemy...

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-26, 06:19 PM
A 88 correction

Just a note that ressurection returns you to full HP, not the 1 HP you claimed.

Kallisti
2009-08-26, 06:34 PM
A 88 correction
Whoops...It's Raise Dead that brings you back at 1 HP and down a level, Resurrection that brings you back down a level, and True Resurrection that just brings you back. I forgot about Raise Dead...

quick_comment
2009-08-26, 06:35 PM
Q89
The raging mongoose and dancing mongoose boosts make no mention of a full attack action. Do they allow the extra attacks on a standard action attack?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-26, 06:44 PM
A89 Yes. You can use them as long as you have swift actions.

Douglas
2009-08-26, 08:48 PM
A89 dispute

No, they do not. The general rule is that you must make a full attack in order to get multiple attacks, and those two maneuvers do not override that rule any more than two weapon fighting does. There are a number of maneuvers that do allow multiple attacks without requiring a full attack or a full round action, but neither Dancing Mongoose nor Raging Mongoose are among them.

quick_comment
2009-08-26, 09:02 PM
Q89 extension
I have the ability to make 2 iterative attacks as a standard action. Is this enough to work with Xing mongoose?

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-26, 09:24 PM
A 88 correction
Whoops...It's Raise Dead that brings you back at 1 HP and down a level, Resurrection that brings you back down a level, and True Resurrection that just brings you back. I forgot about Raise Dead...

Technically, raise dead brings you back with 1 HP per (remaining) HD.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-26, 09:38 PM
A89 Backup Under that assumption, the spells snake's swiftness and mass snake's swiftness are nigh-useless, as they can only apply in an instance where your target(s) makes a full-attack in a given round.

Under no instances are you required to make a full-attack in order to get extra attacks unless the ability specifically states so. Two-Weapon Fighting, your example, does specify you only get the extra attacks during a full-attack action.

Haste also specifies: "When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding." Speed carries a similar clause: "When making a full attack action, the wielder of a speed weapon may make one extra attack with it. The attack uses the wielder’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This benefit is not cumulative with similar effects, such as a haste spell.)"

Meanwhile, Dancing Mongoose contains no such clause:

After initiating this boost, you can make one additional attack with each weapon you wield (to a maximum of two extra attacks if you wield two or more weapons). These extra attacks are made at your highest attack bonus for each of your respective weapons.
The other Mongoose maneuvers do not contain that clause either.

Since the maneuver is a boost that requires a swift action to activate, as long as you have a swift action you may initiate it and in doing so can make an additional attack with each weapon you wield.

In a similar vein, the Snap Kick feat (also from ToB) does not contain the text either:

When you make a melee attack with one or more melee weapons (including a standard attack, full attack, or even a strike maneuver), you can make an additional attack at your highest attack bonus. This attack is an unarmed attack that deals damage equal to your base unarmed attack damage + 1/2 your Str bonus. You take a -2 penalty on all attack rolls you make this round.

Douglas
2009-08-26, 10:12 PM
A89 dispute backup

On the contrary, you are required under every instance to make a full attack in order to get extra attacks unless the ability specifically states otherwise.

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fullAttack)

That is the general rule, and that is the default that must be overridden.

Snake's Swiftness and its mass version are unusual in that they do not grant extra attacks when you attack, but instead grant an attack immediately as part of the spell's instantaneous resolution. Instead of increasing your attacks per round, however temporarily, these spells make you attack once on the spot. The rule about extra attacks requiring a full attack does not apply because this attack is not, technically speaking, an extra attack added to your normal attack routine.

Snap Kick specifically overrides the general rule by specifying that it works with standard action attacks and strikes.

Dancing Mongoose and Raging Mongoose do not say anything either way so the general rule applies. You do not gain the benefit unless you make a full attack.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-26, 10:15 PM
A89 Corollary If the original questioner is not satisfied with either resolution, it's recommended that a thread be started at this point.

Douglas
2009-08-26, 10:19 PM
I fail to see how this one is even open for interpretation and possible to debate legitimately unless you can find a rules reference that explicitly contradicts the rule I linked to.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-26, 10:25 PM
I fail to see how this one is even open for interpretation and possible to debate legitimately unless you can find a rules reference that explicitly contradicts the rule I linked to.

In a RAW sense, sure. But one could argue RAI, which is why I suggested a new thread.

Stegyre
2009-08-26, 11:34 PM
Q 90? 3.5
Psionic power Dimensional Pocket (lurk level 1, Complete Psionic)
By RAW, the target of this spell must be a single item, within weight limitations depending upon the level at which the spell is cast. I'm wondering what RAW uses would be available:

(a) a single bag, full of items/gold/etc., up to the weight limit (Voila! A power to create your own, small, bag of holding.)

(b) multiple manifestations of this power to have several "pockets" in existence simultaneously. In practice, this could work very much like a handy haversack, with the character simply "dismissing" whichever pocket held the item he wants. Perhaps not too practical if these are actual manifestation using power points, but if someone created a command-word activated psionic item, one character could conceivably carry around a dragon's horde (!!) Would that be RAW?

Q 91 also 3.5
Psionic power Psychoportive Shelter (psion/wilder 2, Complete Psionic): this looks to be the psionic's equivalent of rope trick. Unlike rope trick, however, RAW seems to say that any creature can enter the shelter, whether friend or foe, and whether the manifester wills it or no. Is that accurate or is there an erratum/faq/whatever "fixing" that so it is only creatures permitted by the manifester?

Eloel
2009-08-27, 03:35 AM
Q92
Do you still benefit from Powerful Build when you Wildshape?

Yora
2009-08-27, 04:05 AM
A 92

No.
You lose your old size and gain the size of the creature you shape into. And I would say that powerful build is like a sub-type of your size.

Eloel
2009-08-27, 04:11 AM
A 92

No.
You lose your old size and gain the size of the creature you shape into. And I would say that powerful build is like a sub-type of your size.
Looking for RAW here.

Eloel
2009-08-27, 04:18 AM
Q93
Can you wildshape into 'advanced' versions of animals?
Something like 5HD octopus or 20HD Dire Tiger.
If yes; do you get the size increase & +1 ability at every 4th HD.
If not; where can I find the rule that says 'no'.