PDA

View Full Version : 2E Earthdawn help please

Azernak0
2009-08-20, 04:49 PM
I'm note sure if anyone here plays Earthdawn, but I'm looking for advice.
I usually play DnD and MnM but my brother wanted to DM an Earthdawn campaign. I have never tried it before and I am clueless.
I was thinking about doing a Human Air Sailor because I like the idea of piloting an Air Ship and I usually play Caster types so I thought that an Air Sailor would be a nice change of pace. The DM and his brother talk about "The Last Air Sailor" because another DM actually banned them because they were too powerful or something. I have no idea what the heck I am doing, so I come seeking knowledge.

My questions are:
1. Is Melee Weapon Talent worth putting points into? It seems like Acrobatic Strike is better.
2. What sort of Talents should I focus on?
3. How should Stats be allocated?

DMfromTheAbyss
2009-08-21, 02:47 AM
Good luck, just avoid anything called a Horror for as long as possible and if you do see one, run if possible or hit it with everything you've got cause you are in deep deep trouble.

Remember everyone uses magic in the game world, just get to know what you have and how it works and go to town.

NPCMook
2009-08-21, 08:20 AM
I haven't played Earthdawn I've only looked at it, personally I dislike how the dice system works, but I can still seeing it be rather fun since its Fantasy Shadowrun pretty much. I'd also like to recommend possibly checking out Earthdawn 3e, it may have changed a few things from the that some others find broken.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-08-21, 09:24 AM
I havn't played Earthdawn in a while, and I played warriors and swordmasters primarily. Strangely enough, my swordmaster preferred to use a halberd.

The last time I played Earthdawn, we were stuck in a warehouse in a city infested with ogres and spiders, out of hp, and out of food. Since you have to eat to heal naturally, our GM graciously allowed me to eat my shoes and leather jerkin for sustenance. Talk about brutal.

macdemerc
2009-08-21, 09:55 AM
Ok, I’ve been playing Earthdwn for years, currently playing Earthdwn classic. So here’s my take on your questions.

1) Acrobatic strike is kind of like Yoda in ep2, your jumping allover the place, while Melee Weapons is your standard "swing until it drops" style. Put points in both because story wise you may not always have the room to use Acrobatic strike. also Acrobatic strike takes Karma to use, I don't play 2nd ed so this might be a little off, and at some point you may run out.

2) The advancement system is pretty good about making you buy in to most of your talents, but the most important Talent of all bar non is Durability!! Durability will save you life don't forget it. After that it's pretty must up to how you want your character to interact with the world.

3) the discipline write up should tell you what the important attributes are, Charisma and Dexterity I think, Dex is Physical def (AC in DnD)and attack while Charisma is social. Toughness determines your death rating, (HP). Wisdom, the forgotten little brother of attributes in Earthdawn, can give you Mystic armor if it is high enough, think of it as spell resistance as it subtracts from any spell damage rolled.

Sorry if I’m a little long winded its just my way.