PDA

View Full Version : Help creating a character?

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-08-20, 06:52 PM
I'm a real newbie, so don't assume I know anything at all unless I specifically say so.

I'm making a character on Myth-Weavers, but I'm not very familiar with the 4e rules.

LINK HERE. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=147756)

If you could help me figure out how to develop this, please post.

Thanks!

Kylarra
2009-08-20, 07:13 PM
What kind of bard are you trying to make? The primary stat for bards is CHA, so the first thing you'd want to do is swap one of your 17s there... Probably make it a base 16 and use your human racial to boost it 18 (or 17->19, 18->20, I just suggested 16 to keep the maximum amount of points for potential multiclassing reqs). If you're not doing point buy, then move whatever your highest stat, pre-racial boost is to CHA.

Then choose which kind of bard you want to be, Cunning, Prescience or Valor, and that will determine what your highest secondary stats should be.

erikun
2009-08-20, 07:17 PM
So, a level 1 human bard?

It looks like you rolled to get your stats. You'll be better off putting a 17 into Charisma. Charisma is used for all your Bard powers, including the at-will attacks you'll spam in combat.

Next, you'll want to look at which Bardic Virtue you want to use. Virtue of Cunning uses your INT for bonuses, and all you can shift party members around. Virtue of Valor uses your CON for bonuses, and grants allies temp HP. Whichever one you choose, you'll want that stat as your second 17 stat. There is also a third Virtue in Arcane Power, but I don't have that book handy.

The 16 will probably go into either CON (if you're using Cunning) or DEX (if you're using Valor). DEX helps your Initiative, and so is slightly more useful than INT.

Bards use Wands and Songblades to add bonuses to powers. Wands add their enchantment bonus to-hit and damage for their powers. Weapons enchanted with the various Songblade and Songbow (Adventures' Vault 2) enchantments also grant bonuses. General magical swords won't grant their bonus to your powers.

*NOTE* I think there is a feat in Arcane Power, "Arcane Implement Expertise", which allows you to use any one weapon as if they are a Wand or Songblade.

At first level, you won't need a wand or any specific weapon. They don't have an enchantment bonus, so it really wouldn't matter. Once you start finding magical equipment, though, you'll want either a magical wand or a Songblade/Songbow.

Feats and Powers would probably be better chosen after making the above choices.

Aron Times
2009-08-20, 07:54 PM
Bards have two types of powers; weapon powers and implement powers. Weapon powers can be used with any weapon, while implement powers can be used with wands.

Songblades and Songbows are special weapons that count as implements. The main advantage of using one is that you don't have to spend money on a weapon and a wand to use all of your powers.

However, if you only take weapon powers or implement powers, you can get by with only having a weapon or a wand.