PDA

View Full Version : Nale's next evil scheme

Katana_Geldar
2009-08-20, 07:01 PM
I was re-reading War and Xps the other night, and a few things occured to me. It's a while since we've seen the Linear Guild, but we do know that they will be back and Nale's probably going to have some sort of way to outwit Elan, again.

Yet there is no hint so gfar of what this may involve?

Or is there?

(Dun, dun DUN!!)

Nale actually knows a few more things than he did last time
* He knows that Elan and Haley care about each other
* He knows that eventually the Order will be going to the Western Continent to find Giraud's Gate.

Also, put these into the equation
* Nale's father MAY be the Lord Tyrinar (or some underling, like Miron Shewdanker, the evil chancellor) which means he may be able to cause a little trouble without a lot of effort
* And there's the little matter of Ian Starshine

My point is, that the Rule of Drama points to the fact that Nale's next scheme will involve Haley. His using of her over the impersonation doesn't really count, as it started as fun for Nale while Sabine was away and turned into a game of Xanatos Speed Chess.

Jackson
2009-08-20, 08:31 PM
One thing we can be sure of: it will be cliched in the extreme. But which cliche, and how many? There are so many to choose from, and so many possibilities for mixing and matching.

It's unlikely that their father is Miron Shewdanker, if only because being chancellor seems counter to his early characterization as a 'mean fighting guy who left her and me behind when he went off to battle' and a 'cold and ruthless general of a nigh-unstoppable army.' He may well be an underling of some sort, but given the characteristics of the traditional evil chancellor it really doesn't seem likely, unless both Nale and Elan were way off in their descriptions of him.

Acero
2009-08-21, 02:22 PM
or....... because the ( insert whatever Elan's last name is) is so drama centered, i wouldn't be suprised if lord T becomes the good guy after some kind of revelation. the mother, on the other hand, becomes evil after years of solitude. most likely, once the campaign turns to the eastern continent, OOTS meets mother, who gives them some fake reason to kill T, who they do not know is actually the good guy. (belkar can finally use the catapult...) the linear guild, who searched for T, is in his proximety. the big drama twist? T almost converted Nale to the side of good (sabine is not there) when the assasination takes place. :smallbiggrin:

Zolkabro
2009-08-26, 04:59 AM
It said in strip 458 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html) that the Linear Guild will go to Cliffport, an ice cream parlour, Girard's Gate, and wherever their evil schemes take them. This tells us that we will see them again at Girards Gate. They could even have reached it by now, and be trying to control it.

Querzis
2009-08-26, 05:16 AM
It said in strip 458 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html) that the Linear Guild will go to Cliffport, an ice cream parlour, Girard's Gate, and wherever their evil schemes take them. This tells us that we will see them again at Girards Gate. They could even have reached it by now, and be trying to control it.

Nale didnt say anything about Girards Gate. He said there was two other gates they could go take while they fight for the one in Azure city.

Anyway, I dont know when we'll see them again but I hope soon. I miss the Linear Guild so much. Especially Nale.

Zolkabro
2009-08-26, 07:05 AM
I miss Thog most. Here are some of his best bits

:thog: Thog stops his boredom driven rampage only for you, little ice cream friends!

:thog: Thog brought breadcrumbs!

:thog: puppies! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html)

GO THOG!
:thog: :thog: :thog:
:thog: :thog: :thog:

Optimystik
2009-08-26, 08:02 AM
The LG is extremely likely to be at or near Girard's Gate. Too much of Nale and Elan's unresolved history lies in that area, and it looks like Haley might get involved too with her father being in the mix. It is very fertile storytelling ground.

Totally Guy
2009-08-26, 11:32 AM
I reckon his next plan will involve tricking Elan into believing the wrong person is his father. Then when Elan pesters the person he earns his emnity.

That seems like a tedious plan without requiring much ingenuity. Perfect for a criminal "genius" like Nale.

David Argall
2009-08-26, 01:31 PM
Not complicated enough. Recall his Cliffport scheme involved killing over 400 people in 15 locations to set up several minions to distract the rest of the party from Elan, who was then to be framed while Nale impersonated him and caused the death of Haley and much of the rest of the party. So if he has a plot, it is going to be devious, tho quite possibly dumb.

Of course, he may end up being the "innocent victim" this time. His dad may well be pretty devious himself and, if not, has some devious advisers. We could see Elan rescuing his brother [which Nale will pay back with a back stab of course.]

However, we should expect to find out within the next 50 or so strips. Xykon is busy looking for his phylactery. So the party has time to deal with Nale, the twin's dad, Haley's dad, etc right now. Once they reach the gate, they should be too busy.

mizzim
2009-08-26, 03:44 PM
Base purely on the fact that it is a good plot twist, I'm guessing that we can say that Lord Tyrinar is Elan's and Nale's father.

Optimystik
2009-08-26, 04:37 PM
However, we should expect to find out within the next 50 or so strips. Xykon is busy looking for his phylactery. So the party has time to deal with Nale, the twin's dad, Haley's dad, etc right now. Once they reach the gate, they should be too busy.

In addition to this, by the time they reach the gate, Xykon and Redcloak will have to be back in play to add dramatic tension. I doubt anyone but Redcloak is smart enough to bypass the illusions anyway, unless there's a way to blast past them.

The Blackbird
2009-08-26, 04:53 PM
One thing we can be sure of: it will be cliched in the extreme. But which cliche, and how many? There are so many to choose from, and so many possibilities for mixing and matching.

Its Nale of course it's going to be a cliche plan! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0397.html)

Katana_Geldar
2009-08-28, 05:40 PM
Nale didnt say anything about Girards Gate. He said there was two other gates they could go take while they fight for the one in Azure city.

Anyway, I dont know when we'll see them again but I hope soon. I miss the Linear Guild so much. Especially Nale.

Nale does know they are heading to Girard's gate (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0379.html) despite the fact he mentions the other two gates (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html)

I really don't think Nale will be going to any other gate other than Girard's.