PDA

View Full Version : Warforged as Native Outsiders

LibraryOgre
2009-08-20, 07:55 PM
Over in the "Warforged Artificer" thread,

I have also chosen to be a Warforged Artificier (though the DM has changed Warforged to native outsiders of Mechanus).

I kinda like that. Not quite the modrons I love, but a nice idea. What would likely change?

erikun
2009-08-20, 08:02 PM
Well, Charm Person et al. wouldn't work on them, as they're not humanoids. Then again, I don't think they would work on a standard Warforged either.

Beyond that? Polymorph abuse changing you into a Solar, for example. Then again, Polymorph is quite abusing anyways.

AslanCross
2009-08-20, 08:04 PM
It's interesting, but it's kind of odd as the Inevitables themselves are Extraplanar constructs and not outsiders.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-20, 08:08 PM
Oh, hey.

I'd forgotten that there was a PLANE OF ROBOTS.

This would be extremely useful if any of my DMs had any beef with warforged.

PinkysBrain
2009-08-20, 08:11 PM
It doesn't make a lick of sense IMO.

Tiki Snakes
2009-08-20, 09:29 PM
I think it'd make a great rational for Warforged in settings that aren't Eberon.

I may even file that away for future use, infact. :)
Though, admittedly, probably does very funky stuff when it interacts with the various spells and so on that pay attention to types.

Myrmex
2009-08-20, 09:37 PM
If they get Outside as their type, and retain all their immunities, I recommend a +1 LA. Proficiency with all martial weapons and getting to abuse Alter Self for some really baller morphs is too good for a caster.

ColdSepp
2009-08-20, 09:39 PM
Over in the "Warforged Artificer" thread,

I kinda like that. Not quite the modrons I love, but a nice idea. What would likely change?

Well, as Native Outsiders, they'd gain all Martial and Simple weapons, Polymorph Abuse, Darkvision, and, interestingly, they'd have to breath, eat, and sleep. Regular Warforged don't.

Technically, native outsiders can only be from the Prime (That's what native means) so I am not sure you how they can be Native to Mechanus, unless it means there ancestors came from there... of course, then you have to explain how they reproduce, or why they are connected to the Prime.

Native Subtype

A subtype applied only to outsiders. These creatures have mortal ancestors or a strong connection to the Material Plane and can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. Creatures with this subtype are native to the Material Plane (hence the subtype’s name). Unlike true outsiders, native outsiders need to eat and sleep.

Honestly, it seems to raise as many questions as it answers.

Gralamin
2009-08-20, 09:43 PM
Well, as Native Outsiders, they'd gain all Martial and Simple weapons, Polymorph Abuse, Darkvision, and, interestingly, they'd have to breath, eat, and sleep. Regular Warforged don't.

Technically, native outsiders can only be from the Prime (That's what native means) so I am not sure you how they can be Native to Mechanus, unless it means there ancestors came from there... of course, then you have to explain how they reproduce, or why they are connected to the Prime.

Honestly, it seems to raise as many questions as it answers.

I get the feeling that he means Extraplanar on every plane but Mechanius.

I've toyed with the idea before, and found that it would be best to keep them as construct type, do to some of the abuse. Of course, you might find it thematically appropriate for Warforged to be trained with all martial weapons.

Paganboy28
2009-08-21, 01:51 AM
I got it wrong...

Warforged would be Outsiders/Extraplanar. Their home plane would be Mechanus.

I quite like the idea that Warforged or whatever you want to call them, come from Mechanus. It makes sense themetically (forget the Eberron fluff and just think of them as living constructs).

They might be the race that inhabits Mechanus and who maintain the cogs and create the Inevitables and so forth.

Eldan
2009-08-21, 01:54 AM
Well, Modrons themselves have been complicated in 3.X as well... I've seen three incarnations of them... as outsiders with extra "construct traits", as constructs with "outsider traits" and as warforge-like "living constructs". All difficult to build, but made sense when used.

Edit: perhaps the warforged could be some kind of mechanus-touched mortals? Though I don't even want to consider how they were created.

Myrmex
2009-08-21, 01:57 AM
I don't really care for the Outsider type. Why are space robots not really robots, again? Between fey, elementals, angels, demons, aberrations, and devils, I feel like there's a lot of types that could be other types. Why aren't demons elementals, or fey outsiders, or aberrations outsiders, or devils aberrations?

A lot of the distinctions feel like they've been parsed the wrong way.

Eldan
2009-08-21, 02:03 AM
Because Outsiders have a few characteristics that are fundamentally different from all other creatures, but that they all share. Immortality isn't uncommon in DnD, but between having no soul/body dichotomy, being exemplars of a plane, being formed from the souls of petitioners, ascending towards merging with the plane, being recreated after being slain etc. etc. they are certainly different from most other creatures.