PDA

View Full Version : Your mousepad.

Yarram
2009-08-21, 12:02 AM
I just got a tuba mouse-pad, so currently, I don't think it's physically, metaphysically or sub-physically possible for me to be any cooler than I am right now.

Now that I'm done gloating. What does everyone else use?
What do you reckon is the second coolest mouse-pad of all time?

SDF
2009-08-21, 12:07 AM
I surf the web commando.

Cyrano
2009-08-21, 12:14 AM
I just got a tuba mouse-pad, so currently, I don't think it's physically, metaphysically or sub-physically possible for me to be any cooler than I am right now.

The tuba mouse-pad.

First is 'cello.

Ravens_cry
2009-08-21, 12:15 AM
My mousepad is upside down right now, as the cheapo fabric came off and it's easier to glide around on the foam back then on the (checks) still tacky adhesive that once held said fabric in place in place.

Yarram
2009-08-21, 12:31 AM
The tuba mouse-pad.

First is 'cello.

Sorry, but there is in-fact a ranking system for instruments, and it's pretty much the lower your instrument can play, the higher you are on the rank. Brass instruments of course trump all others (Except French Horns which come after clarinets) and string instruments, bar the double bass, are below French Horns.

(Flutes are at the bottom of said list, only slightly below farting, the sound of a flute breaking and slightly above amateur singing.)

Recaiden
2009-08-21, 12:33 AM
And above the tuba, the euphonium and the drums and the cello and all string instruments.
I have no mousepad here, and a pretty basic grey one at my desktop.

THAC0
2009-08-21, 12:36 AM
Brass instruments of course trump all others (Except French Horns which come after clarinets)

Whoa there, hold your horses. My french horn and I will so take you out!

We so will. Especially since my sixth graders were explaining to the new student yesterday that I am mean. :smallcool:

Cyrano
2009-08-21, 12:40 AM
Sorry, but there is in-fact a ranking system for instruments, and it's pretty much the lower your instrument can play, the higher you are on the rank. Brass instruments of course trump all others (Except French Horns which come after clarinets) and string instruments, bar the double bass, are below French Horns.

(Flutes are at the bottom of said list, only slightly below farting, the sound of a flute breaking and slightly above amateur singing.)

And above the tuba, the euphonium and the drums and the cello and all string instruments.
I have no mousepad here, and a pretty basic grey one at my desktop.

BAM.

Strings are where it's at. The throaty melodies and harmonies of a 'cello, the expressive range of the violin, the incredibly solid, teeth-vibrating thrumming of the bass, even the moderate, throaty viola - they trump all o' y'alls silly brass instruments.

It's okay. You can still beat woodwinds.

Jade_Tarem
2009-08-21, 12:43 AM

I'm sorry, what? Who made this ranking system, the International Foghorn Society? I'm going to have to ask for a reference on this one, unless you're joking.

Also, french horns are mechanically capable of playing lower than trombones.

Unrelated:
On the subject of music jokes:

Q: What's the difference between an oboe and an onion?
A: Nobody cries when you chop up an oboe.

Q: What's the difference between a french horn and a SCUD missile?
A: The SCUD missile is more accurate, but does less damage.

Q: What's the difference between a string bass and a coffin?
A: The coffin has the dead guy on the inside.

Q: What's the difference between a barry-sax and a chainsaw?
A: You can tune a chainsaw.

Q: How do you make a chainsaw sound like a barry-sax?
A: Add vibrato.

Q: How do you tune two piccolos?
A: Shoot one.

Q: How do you tune the orchestra?
A: Shoot the other one.

Q: What do you give someone who can't play an instrument?
A: Two sticks and a drum.

Q: But what do you do if he has no rhythm?
A: Take away one stick and make him the conductor.

THAC0
2009-08-21, 12:45 AM
I find the descriptions of band/orchestra personnel found here: http://www.thefrenchhorn.net/jokes.html to be the most accurate. :smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2009-08-21, 01:25 AM
Well, that was a rather fast thread derailment.:smalltongue:

Like SDF, my mouse goes commando.

Hannes
2009-08-21, 01:49 AM
My mousepad is a college block with a sort of cartonish/paper maché-ish back cover. Yeah. I vote for my win.

Trog
2009-08-21, 02:07 AM
I haven't used a mousepad in years. Optical mice, in my experience, work better without them. And most of the time I am on my laptop anyway using the scrollpad.

Coidzor
2009-08-21, 02:14 AM
I'm using the scrollpad on a lappy right now. My optical mouse I just go commando with. But I need to change its batteries haha.

Hmm. Well, I just took its old battery out... Now to find a new..... AA...

Athaniar
2009-08-21, 02:28 AM
I have a pretty nice Map of Northrend mouse pad from the Wrath of the Lich King Collector's Edition at home. For some reason, it lacks Crystalsong Forest...

Strawman
2009-08-21, 02:45 AM
I use the cardboard side of unused writing notebooks. When I need the notebook I replace it with another one, keeping the pad fresh.

And on occasion I'll use my other hand as the mousepad, if I don't feel like sitting.

Hannes
2009-08-21, 02:52 AM
I use the cardboard side of unused writing notebooks. When I need the notebook I replace it with another one, keeping the pad fresh.

And on occasion I'll use my other hand as the mousepad, if I don't feel like sitting.

You totally stole my idea. This means war!

Strawman
2009-08-21, 02:59 AM
Lol, which idea, the notepad or the hand?

Hannes
2009-08-21, 03:35 AM
If you would've read my previous post, you would have realized it was the notepad.

1d10+6 slashing damage!

Shikton
2009-08-21, 03:44 AM
Err...I just use an old newspaper. Works like a charm.
If I were to have a real mousepad this (http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Thundercats-Red-Stone-Logo-thundercats-34312_1134_992.jpg) would have to be the image on it.

Mauve Shirt
2009-08-21, 07:03 AM
I just use the scrollpad on my laptop most of the time. When I do use a mouse I have a blue UMW mousepad from the bookstore. My parents have one with the Bayeux Tapestry on it, which I think is awesome.

charl
2009-08-21, 07:05 AM
I use a touchpad.

Eon
2009-08-21, 07:30 AM
I have a pokemon mosuepad with a few of the first generation pokemon!

B-Man
2009-08-21, 08:43 AM
When I still had my desktop computer I had a map of Scotland mousepad. However, since I do not have a desktop with me right now, I usually used an optical mouse on the panel just below the keyboard on my laptop or the touchpad. That was before the laptop was stolen et etc.

Erloas
2009-08-21, 09:13 AM
This is my mousepad

http://images4.cafepress.com/product/190453024v6_350x350_Front.jpg

At least at home, at work I have one from a testing lab we use.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-08-21, 10:32 AM
I use the back of a book. It's called "Rockies", and it's by Carole Harmon,Stephen Hutchings, published by Altitude Publishing. It just has lots of photo's of the Rockies.

mikeejimbo
2009-08-21, 10:40 AM
I too am using a notebook. On the black formica lab table, this optical mouse doesn't do so well.

onasuma
2009-08-21, 10:44 AM
My mouse pad is the dungeons and dragons 4th ed monster manual. Its the best use ive ever had it for.

Quincunx
2009-08-21, 11:44 AM
I haven't used a mousepad in years. Optical mice, in my experience, work better without them. And most of the time I am on my laptop anyway using the scrollpad.

Agreed, but I've worn a track on every desk I've ever had, going mouse-commando. Since this is a new one, new options are welcome, preferably thinner than the classic mousepad surface (removable cover, insert your photo here), which makes a terrific wrist rest.

RTGoodman
2009-08-21, 11:55 AM

Yeah, doesn't work so well on a glass-topped desk like the one I've got here in my new place.

The one I use is the same one I've used for about 6 years, with a pic of Aragorn from Return of the King. I think it might be the only one I've ever owned, but it's served me well.

Random832
2009-08-21, 12:02 PM
For a while I just used a blank sheet of paper, changed regularly, as a "mousepad" - to keep dust away and provide a good optical surface.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-21, 12:03 PM
My mousepad has this (http://www.4neurons.com/other/FunStuff/linux-server.jpg) picture on it. Yeah, I'm a Linux geek, so sue me.

valadil
2009-08-21, 12:25 PM
I want this one, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It might actually help at work (I do a lot of web design type stuff).

http://www.visibone.com/color/hexagon3x.html

Delaney Gale
2009-08-21, 01:00 PM

Go talk to Maynard Ferguson and come back telling me about cool ;)

Sure you need more air to play a tuba than my girly mouse lungs have room for, but on any given instrument the low notes are easier to play than high.

And don't talk to me about pedal tones, those are just plain heresy.

Jallorn
2009-08-21, 01:02 PM
Laser mouse, don't need a pad.

Sneak
2009-08-21, 01:03 PM
I use a laptop touchpad.

wxdruid
2009-08-21, 01:05 PM
I have the Order of the Stick mousepad. The one with the picture of them all trekking down a corridor with Roy in the lead.

Strawman
2009-08-21, 01:22 PM
If you would've read my previous post, you would have realized it was the notepad.

1d10+6 slashing damage!
:smalleek: No attack role?
Oops, my bad.

Anyway, I remember once using a pizza box, which did not work well.

Mr. Mud
2009-08-21, 01:25 PM
Mine is a rubber-glass substance. Completely see through, and it's squishy! Probably the coolest thing in the house :smallcool:.

Cleverdan22
2009-08-21, 01:52 PM
Most of the time on my laptop I simply use the scrollpad.

When I am gaming: LOLScruffy. Aw yeah.

Assassin89
2009-08-21, 02:36 PM
I have an optical mouse, and a scroll pad for a laptop, but for the optical mouse I use a black Lincoln Park Zoo mouse pad.

Tharivol123
2009-08-21, 03:05 PM
For my laptop, none since I use the touchpad (or should I say "the touch sensitive pointing and clicking platform" that they call it in the user manual).

For my desktop, I have a nice tropical beach/island picture that is getting pretty worn down.

I also feel the need to defend some woodwinds as a former saxophone player (alto primarily, but I've had experience with the tenor, baritone, and soprano).

Q: What's the range of a tuba?
A: 20 to 30 feet, depending on your arm.

Q: What's the difference between trombone players and government bonds?
A: Government bonds eventually mature and earn money.

Q: How do trumpet players traditionally greet each other?
A: "Hi. Nice to meet you. I'm better than you."

Q: How can you make a trombone sound like a french horn?
A: Stick your hand in the bell and play a lot of wrong notes.

Ikialev
2009-08-21, 03:56 PM
A nice mousepad from some kind of fabric with a bump filled with gel to hold my carpus. :3

Murska
2009-08-21, 04:00 PM
I have a completely black metal-lined one with the bottom out of something that stops it from moving at all when I'm playing.

Lupy
2009-08-21, 09:56 PM
I use the trackpad of my laptop 99.99999999999999997% of the time, but my desktop has a map of the world mousepad.

EndlessWrath
2009-08-21, 11:16 PM
It used to be just an apple picture. But now its of bubbles! :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2009-08-21, 11:18 PM
Commando is the only way to properly Internet.

Crispy Dave
2009-08-21, 11:20 PM
I have an old AMD swag mousepad. It makes me feel supportive to my cpu manufacture.

KerfuffleMach2
2009-08-22, 11:32 PM
I use a Wacom pen tablet. I have no need for a silly mouse. The pen is mightier!

Go talk to Maynard Ferguson and come back telling me about cool ;)

Sure you need more air to play a tuba than my girly mouse lungs have room for, but on any given instrument the low notes are easier to play than high.

And don't talk to me about pedal tones, those are just plain heresy.

Did you know that tuba and flute take about the same amount of air to play? I would know, because I have played both.

And the sousaphone is more fun than a tuba.

Perenelle
2009-08-23, 09:55 AM
Most of the time I use my laptop's touch pad thingy. I only use desktops when my laptop is having issues. which isnt very often.
The desktop computer's mousepad says something along the lines of: "Verizon, making progress everyday" . My grandpa used to work for Verizon so I guess he got a free mousepad.

charl
2009-08-23, 10:39 AM
Am I the only one who uses an ergonomic mousepad for my stationary computer? It has a silicon wrist rest and stuff. Much more comfortable than having to rest against the table or hold the arm in the air all the time.

B-Man
2009-08-23, 10:59 AM
Am I the only one who uses an ergonomic mousepad for my stationary computer? It has a silicon wrist rest and stuff. Much more comfortable than having to rest against the table or hold the arm in the air all the time.

I used to have an ergonomic mousepad a long time ago. It was a gel wrist rest or something mer-other. I got really bored when I was waiting for webpages to load (I was on dial-up at the time), so I started poking the gel-cushion-thingy. Let's say it didn't end up well. >.>

Murska
2009-08-23, 11:58 AM
I don't like the gel-pad things. For one, I also get the urge to poke at it and it tends to feel strange, limiting my movement and making my aim shakier.

Perenelle
2009-08-23, 12:31 PM
I don't like the gel-pad things. For one, I also get the urge to poke at it and it tends to feel strange, limiting my movement and making my aim shakier.

I have the same problem. they make my arm hurt too. :smallannoyed:

MR.PIXIE
2009-08-23, 08:58 PM
i have a happy tree friends mouse pad.
i shows cuddles screaming into one of those cans with the string
and giggles holding the other side to her ear and geting her brain
blown out the other side from how loud cuddles is screaming.
and he dosnt notice because his eyes are closed.

DarkLightDragon
2009-08-23, 09:07 PM
I have the mousepad that came with the collector's edition version of WoW's Wrath of the Lich King expansion. :smallcool:

That's the one I'm currently using. I also have a Death Note mousepad somewhere. It has L on it. :smallsmile:

V'icternus
2009-08-23, 09:08 PM
The one I have on the main computer is comfortable and has a nice soft pad for my wrist to rest on...

The one I use for my laptop mouse is actually a piece of cardboard... :smalltongue:

Thajocoth
2009-08-24, 01:29 PM
A horrible mousepad that results in occasional jerky motions of the pointer. Can't use my optical mouse without it though. The desk has a pattern of little round holes...

Tiger Duck
2009-08-24, 01:33 PM
Like many others I too go commando.

vollmond
2009-08-26, 10:04 AM
Commando++

If I must use one, I have an old Army recruiter's pad, has a picture of some paratroopers dropping in formations and the then-current Army slogan (either "Go Army" or "Be all you can be", not sure which) across the bottom. Also, I use it in portrait layout, so the paratroopers are dropping sideways. weeee

Catch
2009-08-26, 10:10 AM
This one, (http://img263.imageshack.us/i/mt0710032.jpg/) and I don't even read MT anymore.

Lord of Syntax
2009-08-27, 12:35 AM
I have, at my iMac a mousepad that says "iMac, therefore I am" superimposed over a picture of the same model of iMac! I win this thread! :smalltongue::smallamused::smallwink:

littlequietguy
2009-08-29, 12:04 PM
Some sort of miniature foreign rug.

Icewalker
2009-08-29, 01:44 PM
My mousepad:
http://images4.cafepress.com/product/335966094v5_350x350_Front.jpg

ColonelFuster
2009-08-29, 03:15 PM
I use the folder that once held my pages of mooks. Red folder. Now it has weird patchy places on it.:smallconfused:

Trixie
2009-08-29, 04:01 PM
A sheet of paper under my two crappy optical mice plugged into old, backup computer/laptop.

But if you use a computer long hours, and actually bothered to get one of these better, ergonomic (and expensive) mice with teflon feet, then using paper or surface of the desk would quickly ruin it.

Hmmm, come to think of it, my personal laptop with Razer mice has still the same mousepad I bought four years ago - a plain black gaming pad, which still shows no sighs of wear. Soft and comfortable, too, I remember it being pricey back then, though. I wouldn't trade that combination for no silicon pads, nor would be using these heap mice if I could help it. Even after 8+ hours of work I'm not tired, unlike on the others.

On the other hand, for someone using his rig sparingly a few hours a day, such setup might be overkill, with a simple A4 mouse (especially these larger ones) being perfectly serviceable and sufficient one.

Lolzords
2009-08-29, 07:14 PM
My mousepad is just bog standard with a very very stained piece of yellow fabric on top of it, not attached, just on top. I could really do with a new one.

Cryssandra
2009-08-29, 07:19 PM

Definitely Icewalker's

Blue Ghost
2009-08-30, 08:16 PM
My mousepad is something I received from a Mathcounts competition, promoting www.MathMovesU.com. Can't get much nerdier than that.

Groundhog
2009-08-30, 09:51 PM
Mostly I use either my trackpad or my tablet. And when I use my optical mouse, it goes commando. I do, however, have a mousepad. It just never gets used. It has a picture of a praying mantis sitting at a computer on it.

Walrus
2009-08-30, 11:30 PM
I usually use the scrollpad on my laptop, but at my desktop I've got a mouse pad with the Edmonton Oilers logo on it.

The Edmonton Oilers are an NHL hockey team, for those who might not be aware.