PDA

View Full Version : Scales of War

Robek
2009-08-21, 05:19 PM
You are all sitting at a table in the corner of the bar within the town of Brindol. Quite a ruckus is occuring amongst the bar patrons, with all the talk being of the return of the Red Hand, and the abduction of a group of villagers, during the Red Hand's last raid of Brindol.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-21, 05:51 PM
A tall, muscular humanoid sits at the table. His grey skin appears almost to be made of rock. Armor made of the hides of animals he has slain covers his body, and a large maul hangs on his back. His shining green eyes glance around the room, curiosity filling them as he hears the stories of the Red Hand.

dragoonsgone
2009-08-21, 09:55 PM
An average sized dwarf whose fairly young sits at the table and fingers his holy symbol of Moradin nervously as he listens to the stories.

Thinking to myself that the older clerics were right that its a cruel world out side of the temple.

RandomPlayer
2009-08-22, 10:57 AM
A slim elf in leather armor walks in, his bow slung behind his back. He takes a seat at the bar and looks around with a piercing glance.

dragoonsgone
2009-08-22, 12:20 PM
The dwarf watches the Elf as he walks in and tells the serving girl to give him an ale.

I read its a good way to make new friends. I tell to the waitress.

RandomPlayer
2009-08-22, 08:39 PM
The elf's expression is misty, hard to read as he plays with something at his belt, hidden by the folds of leather. As he turns to the waitress approaching him, light glints off what is unmistakably a dagger. "For emergencies only," he remarks, with a small smile, to her noticing it. "Might I have-? What's this? An ale, for me? There must be a dwarf in here." And he looks around vaguely with a grin, his hands away from his belt and his initial hostility all but gone.

Croverus
2009-08-23, 03:46 PM
A rather muscular human walks in, looking around as he scratches his rough beard. He takes a seat abd orders some honey water. A large morningstar rests on his back, the head styled somewhat like a bear's head.

dragoonsgone
2009-08-23, 10:20 PM
Waitress, what is this Red Hand that everyone is talking about? Some kind of disease? I could maybe cure it or help with suffering if its a disease. It sounds pretty bad. I ask her when it seems she has a minute free.

RandomPlayer
2009-08-23, 10:54 PM
Farren's long ears also hear some of the many rumors going around, and as he takes a swig of the sour-tasting ale in his mug, he looks around for someone to talk to. However, the humans seated at the bar next to him appear too drunk, and while the bartender would likely be great to strike up a conversation with about the Red Hand or the town of Brindol in general, Farren doesn't immediately spot him.

Thinking he'll probably have to spend another night in the forest if the inn is too busy to accomodate him, the elf stands and makes his way through the bustling tavern towards a corner table at which the dwarf is talking to the girl who gave him the ale.

He smiles and seats himself across from the dwarf. "What's the occasion?" he asks, nodding to the mug in his own hand.

dragoonsgone
2009-08-23, 11:56 PM
Oh nothing special, you just looked like you could use one. Say have you heard about this "Red Hand" sickness that's going around? It sounds nearly dreadful. I heard its took a whole group of villagers other day. I was just trying to ask this good woman the symptoms so that I may avoid it if I see them. I look at the Elf's hands to make sure they aren't red.

RandomPlayer
2009-08-24, 12:37 AM
The elf breaks into hearty laughter, as his superior hearing has given him the knowledge that the Red Hand is some kind of organization, not a disease. Rather than explain himself, he extends his clearly fair-skinned hand to the dwarf, offering a friendly handshake. "I'm Farren, Farren Greywood, a forest ranger. I'm just passing through, you know, listening to the local news and whatnot."

dragoonsgone
2009-08-24, 07:37 AM
I look at your hand for a second then shake it.

Thoradin, cleric of Moradin. I was named after an old version of his name. Anyways, I am out to try and travel the world a bit and see different lands, spreading Moradins grace and righetousness wherever each might be needed. I wanted to see the fabulous city of Atlantis, but the local wizard told me it sunk into the ocean 1,000 years ago. Our books might need some updating.

RandomPlayer
2009-08-24, 11:16 AM
Farren once again chuckles at the dwarf's expense, though he is friendly in intent. He stops to take a thoughtful sip from his ale; while he thinks it's disgusting compared to elven wine, he seems to respect it for the culture it brings.

"I'm sure you speak the language of the dwarves, yes? I've always wanted to learn. That's me, exploring and adventuring. I fell in love with it when I first visited the mighty forests and civilizations outside my rather isolated elven homeland."

He taps his fingers on the table, his exression glazed and unfocused, a nostalgic smile slowly crossing his features. His gaze then shifts to the waitress, whom he supplies with another wink, before glancing again at the boisterous humanoids around them.

"Anyway, enough babbling about myself and waiting for something exciting to happen. Esteemed Thoradin, what brings you here?"

Croverus
2009-08-24, 05:11 PM
Hearing the gossip going around, he starts speaking with some of the locals about his "Red Hand" business. He has not heard of any impact on the local wildlife so this was not a disease they were speaking off. He realizes quickly they spoke of a group, probably some kind of cult. He spots a dwarf and elf at a table and approaches them. He nods to them as he approaches. Though certainly not the largest human, he is broader and a little hairer than normal.

"Greeting, you two certainly don't seem like you live around these parts. Passing through like myself I bet. I am Jarrik Bearhide, a protector of nature and friend of beasts. I assume you've been eharing about this Red Hand issue. A coin for your thoughts?"

dragoonsgone
2009-08-24, 06:42 PM
Just trying to learn more about the world outside my home. I had nothing for this town specifically, I was just passing through and thought I would have a drink and a night in a bed. Its an uncommon luxury on the road so I try to take it when I can. I respond to Farren.

Then as the human shows up, I turn to him and listen. I smile cause it seems like friends are coming out of the stonework.

Oh I will give you what little rattles around this thick dwarf skull for free. You don't have to pay me anything. My name is Thoradin and this is my brand new friend Farren. We were talking about that new red hand disease that's going around. I am hoping I can see a someone with it in case I know the disease under another name. Oh my look at me ramble. Sit Sit and have a drink with us. I discretely or at least I think I discretely check Jarrik's hands to see if they are red but they seem to be too hairy to tell.

RandomPlayer
2009-08-24, 07:56 PM
Thoughtfully rubbing his fingers over the longbow on his back, Farren nods to the newcomer. "Likewise, I am simply passing through. From what I've gathered from the rumors, the Red Hand is some kind of group of public enemies... I'm not sure, but if they are creatures of the forest I would probably have heard of them sooner."

Kozemp
2009-08-24, 11:51 PM
The door of the inn opens and a blonde human male walks into the bar, quickly slamming the door shut behind him. As he walks over to the crowd he sticks his hands up his sleeves and starts drying his wet hair with the cuffs of his robe.

Red hand? he asks. What's a red hand?

He takes a furtive look over his shoulder, back at the door.

And was it raining when anyone else came in?

Robek
2009-08-27, 12:07 AM
"The Red Hand is a group of..." the man begins to explain, but is cut off by the loud entrance of four hobgoblins, with swords in hand. They step up to the four nearest patrons of the bar and stab them with their swords, killing them instantly. Screams erupt from those within, including the man you were talking to earlier, who screams "That's the Red Hand!"

Grid:http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/foucek/Untitled2.jpg

Colors are based on the color in your posts. Blaine, you're red. Hobgoblins are purple.

dragoonsgone
2009-08-27, 09:24 AM
Hmm, looks like the disease found us.

Thoradin takes one last drink of his ale and starts towards the hobgoblins and brings out his morning star and holy symbol.

Initiative [roll0]
And I move to square M12

RandomPlayer
2009-08-27, 12:47 PM
"By the gods! They're hobgoblins!"

Farren stands, drawing his bow and nocking an arrow.

Initiative[roll0]

Croverus
2009-08-27, 01:16 PM
"I thought I smelled their foul stench in the air. They will be torn apart!"

Let's out a bellowing roar and grabs his moring star, placing the head down as his body grew slightly and became covered in fur. The weapon melded into his hands as they became mauling claws and his head reshaped as a snout pushed out from his face. He turned into a bear, letting out another roar as he readied for combat.

Roll for Initiative [roll0]
Used a Minor action to wild shape into animal form.

Blaine.Bush
2009-08-27, 03:56 PM
The tall Goliath stands, hands on his maul, ready to pull it out at a moment's notice.

Initiative: [roll0]
Also, getting your weapon out is a move action, unless you have the quick draw feat. Just so you know.

Croverus
2009-08-27, 04:47 PM
((Do I need my Weapon drawn at all then when I'm in my wild shape form to use its damage or if i shift without drawing it do i just deal unarmed damage?))

Kozemp
2009-08-28, 08:44 AM
Miraz quickly sticks his hands back out of his sleeves and starts muttering to himself.

Ho boy... okay... remember, hobgoblins, hit the hobgoblins, don't hit anything else, don't electrify the nice humans, just the hobgoblins...

Initiative 1d20+2

Kozemp
2009-08-28, 08:48 AM
((Not sure why it didn't work the first time, but here it is again...))

Initiative [roll0]

Croverus
2009-08-28, 02:40 PM
((So did I win initiative? I didn't see the goblins roll for it.))

Robek
2009-08-28, 05:06 PM
Initiative Order:Croverus,Dragoons Gone,Hobgoblin,Hobgoblin,Kozemp,Hobgoblin,Blaine,R andom Player

And Croverus and Dragoon, you can't take actions before you roll initiative. So you'll have to move/wildshape as part of your turn, unless thats what you meant. And Croverus, all OOC questions/comments/chit chat can be had here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122471)

Croverus
2009-08-29, 01:41 PM
Having just transformed he moves along the wall, turning just before the second last table. He lets out another roar to get the hobgoblins focused on him.

Move to N-17 using two move actions

dragoonsgone
2009-08-30, 09:20 PM
Thoradin smiles an moves to meet the monsters.

I move to square M12 and draw my weapon. My holy symbol was already in my hands.

Robek
2009-09-01, 08:47 PM
The first hobgoblin steps up to Jarrik and attempts to slash him with his sword, but misses by a foot. The next hobgoblin steps up to the barman and stabs him with his sword, killing him. 3 other hobgoblins enter the room, followed by a goblin carrying a torch.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/foucek/Untitled.jpg

RandomPlayer
2009-09-08, 08:08 AM
[Taking my action out of turn.]

Farren draws his bow and nocks two arrows, then leaps to the side and unleashes what seems to be a flurry of arrows at the nearest goblin.

Minor Action: Draw bow

Move Action: Move to H9 [Question: On the map, what's that stone centerpiece? Does it provide cover? Won't affect this attack, but it might affect later actions.]

Standard Action: Attack the goblin who killed the barman using Twin Strike (at-will)

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1] (10 if critical)
Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3] (10 if critical)

Note: I am +7 to hit because of Prime Shot. However, if an ally moves to be closer to this goblin than I am before my turn actually happens, I am +6 to hit.

Note 2: If someone has PHB II, could you please look up the rules for allies and cover? I only have the PHB I, and it simply says that allies provide no cover no matter what, which seems flawed. Especially since we are in a tavern full of NPCs. So if there are no rules in the PHB II, I suggest it's up to the DM whether the NPCs are "allies" and whether they should provide cover for ranged attacks against the goblins. My current rolls do not factor in cover.

Croverus
2009-09-09, 03:39 AM
With a roar my claws rend and tear at the hobgoblin.

Using my Grasping Claws At-Will power
Attack [roll0] vs Target's Reflex, and its a Touc Attack
Damage [roll1] and the target is slowed

Robek
2009-09-09, 09:18 PM
New Initiative, not counting any that may have died, I'll make a new post with the map and all once I get that ready.

Initiative Order:Random Player,Croverus,Blaine,Dragoons Gone,Hobgoblin,Hobgoblin,Hobgoblin,Hobgoblin,Hobgo blin,Goblin

Sorry about this :smalltongue:

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-09, 09:18 PM
The tall, rock-skinned humanoid rises and removes the giant hammer from his back, grasping it firmly in his large, strong hands. With a powerful shout, he rushes toward a lone Hobgoblin, leaping over the bar and vigorously swinging his weapon in an attempt to smash its face.

Minor action: Draw weapon.
Move action: Move to F-11.
Standard action: Charge to C-13, using the Howling Strike power.
No action: Jump over D-13 as part of the charge.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Goliaths can take the better of two rolls when making athletics checks.
Also, not sure if I can jump as part of a charge. I'll use an action point if I need to.

Robek
2009-09-10, 07:28 PM
Jarrik fails to hit the hobgoblin standing before him. The combined effort of the goliath and elf kill the hobgoblin behind the bar. Icky hobgoblin blood spatters all over Aukan's favorite outfit! Oh no!

Dragoonsgone take your turn, then I'll take the hobgoblins turns.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/foucek/bar-1.jpg

dragoonsgone
2009-09-10, 08:28 PM
A white fire shoots from Thoradins holy symbol and shoots at the hobgoblin in front of the strange animal man.
I cast Sacred Flame on hob at M17
d20+5 vs reflex
if hit [roll0] and Jarrik gains 3 temp hit points

dragoonsgone
2009-09-10, 08:30 PM
[roll0] vs reflex
messed up the roll

Robek
2009-09-10, 09:01 PM
The hobgoblin falls dead to Thoradin's magical spell. Two hobgoblins rush to attack Jarick, and both swing their swords, hitting for six damage total. Another runs to behind the bar and attack Aukan, but misses. The goblin throws his torch to the leftmost corner of the room and starts a fire. The other hobgoblin runs up to a woman, and stabs her in the stomach, killing her.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/foucek/bar-2.jpg

RandomPlayer
2009-09-10, 11:32 PM
The needless slaughter and destruction drives the fury behind the slim elf's eyes as he pulls out all the stops, unleashing a volley of arrows upon his enemies as he charges into the fray, only to leap to safety before he can be clipped.

Minor Action: Designate hobbo in E13 as Hunter's Quarry.

Move Action: Move to E15 (can do so without provoking opportunity attacks, unless the hobbos have reach - if by some chance they do, keep in mind my AC is +2 against opportunity attacks due to Defensive Mobility).

Standard Action: Twin Strike (at-will); both arrows at quarry.

[roll=Damage]1d10+1d8 (18 if critical)

[roll=Damage2]1d10+1d8 (18 if critical)

Use Action Point to use Standard Action: Evasive Strike (encounter), attacking the hobbo in D17.
[roll2]
[roll3] (24 if critical)

As part of the Evasive Strike power, shift to H17 after attacking.

Free action: Use Elven Accuracy (encounter) if Evasive Strike misses. [roll4]

RandomPlayer
2009-09-10, 11:37 PM
Rolls didn't work out, let's try that again....

Speaking of which, the ones that DID work were crappy rolls. Grr. In fact I doubt it's worth fixing my broken damage rolls when my to-hit rolls were so low, but you never know.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Incidentally, is there a way to add rolls together as I tried to do there? Hopefully mixing the dice together yields better results.

Oh, and by the way - I am still taking no cover into account, if the DM thinks that should be changed then that's his call.

Robek
2009-09-13, 02:12 PM
The arrow flies straight into the hobgoblins head, killing him.

Croverus
2009-09-20, 01:19 PM
Jarrick roars and leaps onto the hobgoblin he already injured, especially if it is bloodied (please tell me when they are because I get a +1 bonus to attack on bloodied enemies), slashing at its face.

Pounce - Wis vs Ref Melee Tough Attack[roll0] its +4 if he's bloodied
Damage [roll1] and the target grants combat advantage to the next creature that attacks it until the end of my next turn