PDA

View Full Version : My 11-year-old daughter has become obsessed and drew some OOTS art ...

chorpler
2009-08-21, 10:03 PM
My 11-year-old daughter Ally recently picked up Start of Darkness, read through it, and absolutely loved it, even though she's never heard of Dungeons & Dragons. She immediately read On the Origin of PCs, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, No Cure for the Paladin Blues, and War and XPs, then read the rest of the strips online. Now she's desperately waiting for August 31st so she can start the next book. She even made me order the board/card game from APEGames so we can play Order of the Stick as a family.

Anyway, today she brought me the attached drawing she did. I asked her if she traced it and she said no -- she just looked at the opening page of each book and drew the character like they were there, then drew Belkar and Vaarsuvius as best she could from Belkar's pose in panel 7 of Strip 469 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0469.html), which we both agree is one of the places Belkar looks the cutest, and Vaarsuvius's pose on the last (otherwise blank) page of On the Origin of PCs. Then she added Blackwing as an afterthought. I originally thought she for sure must have traced them, but she showed me how she drew Belkar and I was amazed. Normally nobody in our family is very artistic, but I guess Rich's characters inspired her.

So, without further ado, I bring you the art of my daughter, who otherwise is a very normal girl. ;)

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t342/chorpler/Ally_OOTS.jpg

jayeljay
2009-08-21, 10:08 PM
Awwwww...that's looks cute! Awesome artwork by the way, better than anything I can do....though I do hope to do better. ^_^ I'll strive to get as good as your daughter! =D

littlebottom
2009-08-21, 10:08 PM
awwwww thats cool, and somewhat annoyingly, better than i can draw :smallbiggrin:

Elfin
2009-08-21, 11:18 PM
Nice drawings.

Kaytara
2009-08-22, 01:13 AM
That is good. I especially like the one of Elan, the way she drew the cape and the legs and the lute... so flowing and dynamic, somehow. Never mind that it's all stick figure art... If Rich has shown us anything, is that it IS an art form, and I think she has the instinct for art, if you know what I mean. Composition, placement, that sort of thing... :)

Belkar's pose in panel 7 of Strip 469 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0469.html), which we both agree is one of the places Belkar looks the cutest

This part made me laugh. :) You people are awesome. ^^ Somehow reminds me of my own sweet childhood, like seeing Alien when I was six...

Lord Herman
2009-08-22, 02:51 AM
Wow, that's very good! She seems to have a feel for proportions; most beginning avatarists have trouble with those.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-22, 04:19 AM
Man... I wanna have kids so they can be cool like that :smallfrown:

Jimorian
2009-08-22, 06:24 AM
That is so cool. :smallsmile:

I think Haley is my favorite.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-08-22, 06:36 AM
I guess there are worse things to get obsessed about...

Very nice picture. Send her our thumbs-up. :smallsmile:

Bayar
2009-08-22, 06:44 AM
She should learn Inkscape and start making fan comics :biggrin:

bluewind95
2009-08-22, 09:36 AM
The lines are beautifully dynamic, and the forms are very well-defined. I suggest you definitely encourage that talent. She's good at it and surely will get even better.

CrimsonAngel
2009-08-22, 09:41 AM
Man... I wanna have kids so they can be cool like that :smallfrown:

What if they arn't though?... :smalleek:

Dragon queen
2009-08-22, 10:50 AM
I think they are very nice drawings. :smallsmile:

Squark
2009-08-22, 05:33 PM
She should learn Inkscape and start making fan comics :biggrin:

No, that could make the obsession worse...

Giggling Ghast
2009-08-23, 01:10 AM

Then you take them back to the store and exchange them for new ones. :smalltongue:

Lord Herman
2009-08-23, 04:17 AM
No, that could make the obsession worse...

And that'd be a problem... how? :smalltongue:

Heroic
2009-08-23, 08:10 PM
Wow man!
Your daughter has lots of talent (and she can draw twice as better than I can ):smallfrown:
You should totally encourage her, and maybe in a few years she could be having her own webcomic.
She may become a Giantess in the playground :smalltongue:

MethosH
2009-08-23, 10:32 PM
I enjoy elan's hair :smallbiggrin:
You should show her the fancomic section while she waits for the giant's return

Lerky
2009-08-24, 03:48 PM
For 11? That's pretty nice, I'm way older then that I needed to trace the images to get them halfway decent. Glad she chose to put Belkar's hood on, he looks so much more better that way:smalltongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-08-24, 04:05 PM
Pffttt, as if.

Rutskarn
2009-08-24, 04:41 PM
She spelled "rogue" correctly. Clearly, she's precocious as all hell.

Rustic Dude
2009-08-24, 05:11 PM
She spelled "rogue" correctly. Clearly, she's precocious as all hell.

I must say that that detail puts her over the 75% of the Internet.

Good work, chorpler, good work.