PDA

View Full Version : The Rebalancing Compendium

arguskos
2009-08-22, 12:06 AM
Yay or Nay? That's the issue at hand. I just found out about it, and it seems pretty interesting, but I don't know if it's considered decent or not. What's the Playground have to say about it?

Also, obligatory link (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2096.0).

PId6
2009-08-22, 01:54 AM
I'd say it has a lot of nice ideas, but overall can be a little inconsistent and often doesn't go far enough.

Half-elves are still pretty worthless, same for half-orcs. The other races really aren't that great compared to humans and dwarves, still. For classes, it still doesn't fix the biggest problem of classes like fighter and scout, which is options. Fighters fight a bit better, that's it. Scout can hurt undead/constructs/etc now, which is good, but like the fighter, you're still going to end up just attack/attack/attacking every turn. Same with other classes. Warlock, on the other hand, is way too good, being able to 20d6 every turn in a full attack.

Then there's Wilder, which just becomes a huge dice game as you level up, potentially having -5 manifester level at high levels. The old version at least never interferes with your current power, but this one leaves it all to chance, potentially wasting PP and turn each time you manifest. It really becomes even worse than before.

Personally, I'd cherry pick the best ideas out of there and add it to my own houserules, but I wouldn't just implement it all straight out. But that's just my opinion. Like I said, the whole thing just feels too inconsistent.

arguskos
2009-08-22, 01:59 AM
Well, the bigger thing I was looking at is the spell list rebalancing. Does that actually seem to solve anything? Or is it just a nice thematic shifting about?

It seems to work decently well, they've fixed many of the major offenders in Core. It might not be amazingly perfect, but it does look to be pretty solid.

By the way, I do appreciate your thoughts, please don't think I'm ignoring them, I just want more opinions and perspectives on more parts of the project.